Huey Bell UH-1 Helicopter

Here's my attempt at a Huey replica. The only mod needed is KAX for the rotor blades.

165 parts, (6 are jettisoned). 11.11 tons. Seats 2+8 Kerbals.

uSRUVLx.jpg

FoRcAPw.jpg

7AOwv6R.jpg

nZNzbRu.jpg

Try6Qda.jpg

y27MYed.jpg

H2EwBSQ.jpg

YDL7ixA.jpg

Hot key 1 toggles rotor engines.

Remember: The last Kerbal you put in a seat is the pilot. If this Kerbal is in a side seat don't forget to change control to a front facing Kerbal or the control ring near the main rotor or your controls will be reversed! I forget this all the time. :D

Looking on Google there are quite a few variations of seat layout so I just went with the one I liked the look of. You can easily move/add/remove your own seats. It's not a perfect replica but I wanted to keep the part count down and it was hard finding the right parts for a helicopter that matched the scale of the Kerbals.

The actual craft will look like below. This is to allow easy loading of Kerbals.

h3WGyut.jpg

Download > https://kerbalx.com/RedshiftOTF/Huey-Bell-UH-1-Redshift-OTF

KAX mod > http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/69426-112-kerbal-aircraft-expansion-kax-v263/

Enjoy. :cool:

Edited by Redshift OTF

As the great YouTuber Magz once said: 

"The world has yet to defice a measurementsystem that has a number large enough to measure the weight of the Brass Balls of pilots that flew this thing into the thick of combat".

If anyone has a spare DCS key for this beauty, send it to me please. I wan't this thing in my hangar!

23 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Hell yeah, it's time to find a 10 hour version of Fortunate Son to listen  to while flying this!

NO more fortunate son! :D BFBC2 players will know what I mean.

Very nice build man, the shape is great!

Edited by Majorjim

49 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

NO more fortunate son! :D BFBC2 players will know what I mean.

Very nice build man, the shape is great!

Aw, come on! What is the UH-1 without a CCR song playing in the background?

Hell, what is the Vietnam War without CCR?

44 minutes ago, Redshift OTF said:

Lol, I never played BC2 but I did play a lot of BF:Vietnam back in the day and it always amused me when someone was playing that song out of a jet with the Doppler effect distorting it so much.

It was/is a hilarious BFBC2 Vietnam video on YT. It's called too much fortunate son. It's worth a watch. 

Edited by Majorjim

Haha brilliant! Didn't they have any other Vietnam era songs in that game? I seem to remember BF:Vietnam had quite a few but most people would be playing Nowhere To Run or whatever it was called. Battlefield wasn't the same since they made BF3 imo. :(

5 minutes ago, Redshift OTF said:

Haha brilliant! Didn't they have any other Vietnam era songs in that game? I seem to remember BF:Vietnam had quite a few but most people would be playing Nowhere To Run or whatever it was called. Battlefield wasn't the same since they made BF3 imo. :(

Agreed! BC2 and that expansion where amazing!  I remember how fun it was to door gun with that song playing! 

I took the liberty to make a gunship version, although I don't think any D or H model Hueys were ever converted to gunships, that role was reserved for the early model ones with shorter fuselages.

Jtj2UcY.png

pNekq14.png

It has two rocket pods and two 20mm Vulcan cannons. I'll probably make a version with TOW missiles too.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

Woah cool! I tired it with 2 chain gun turrets hanging out the sides but promptly shot down my own craft. :D I'm not sure if that is a bug with BDA and 1.1.3 as its not supposed to do that. I'll try and land on the carrier with it when I get Vessel Mover working again. Makes me wonder if it's worth making a Kerbal Vietnam pack with some of your fighter planes.

I downloaded this in 1.1.2 (about an hour ago) and seeing the 'Not compatible message was enough to make me switch to 1.1.3. So, thanks! Also, she flies like a dream. I landed on the VAB Helipad on the first test flight, but lost 10 Kerbals upon running out of fuel at 1,256 meters and falling

18 hours ago, Redshift OTF said:

Woah cool! I tired it with 2 chain gun turrets hanging out the sides but promptly shot down my own craft. :D I'm not sure if that is a bug with BDA and 1.1.3 as its not supposed to do that. I'll try and land on the carrier with it when I get Vessel Mover working again. Makes me wonder if it's worth making a Kerbal Vietnam pack with some of your fighter planes.

I can upload the craft file for the Huey Gunship if you like. I tried to make one with TOW missiles, but apparently the TOW launch is a turret, so when I tried to fire a missile I destroyed the helicopter with the exhaust.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.