[1.2.2] Half Size RSS v1.7 (Updated 2-8-2017)

pap1723

Half Size Real Solar System (5x Kerbin scale)

HalfRSS is a mod that uses the great work from @NathanKell and creates our Real Solar System in a smaller scale in KSP. At half the size of the RSS, HalfRSS is still 5 times larger than stock KSP and provides a huge challenge to players, but can be achieved with stock parts. I always loved the idea of playing in our Real Solar System, but I am not a good enough player to be able to accomplish that on the grand RSS scale. The guys over at Stock Size RSS gave me the inspiration for this with their awesome work, but I found that size to be easier than I hoped for.

I am hoping that this is a good balance between stock sizes and full size RSS. You can play this without using Realism Overhaul and without having to create super huge launchers to get anywhere.

SPECIAL THANKS:

• @NathanKell and the entire Real Solar System group for creating almost everything that is released in this mod
  • @CaptRobau for letting me use his planets Thatmo and Slate from the Outer Planets mod as two of the Dwarf Planets that we know almost nothing about
  • @OhioBob for creating the atmospheres that are present in the mod
  • The entire Kopernicus team for creating the mod that makes this all possible! @Thomas P. @NathanKell @KillAshley @Teknoman117, Bryce Schroeder
  • @ImkSushi and @pozine for their work on Real Solar System Expanded that provided Ceres and Vesta

0VOEpU1.png

PLANETARY BODIES INCLUDED:

Spoiler
  • Mercury
  • Venus
  • Earth - New Biomes v1.0
    • The Moon - New Biomes v1.0
  • Mars - New Biomes v1.0
    • Phobos
    • Deimos
  • Ceres (Dwarf Planet) - New from RSS
  • Vesta (Dwarf Planet) - New from RSS
  • Jupiter
    • Io
    • Europa
    • Ganymede
    • Callisto
  • Saturn
    • Mimas
    • Enceladus - New Texture v1.0
    • Tethys
    • Dione - New Texture v1.0
    • Rhea
    • Titan
    • Iapetus
  • Uranus
    • Miranda - New from RSS
    • Ariel - New from RSS
    • Umbriel - New from RSS
    • Titania - New from RSS
    • Oberon - New from RSS
  • Neptune - New Biomes v1.0
    • Triton
  • Pluto
    • Charon
  • Makemake (Dwarf Planet) - New from RSS
  • Eris (Dwarf Planet) - New from RSS

DOWNLOAD:

GITHUB: https://github.com/pap1723/HalfRSS/releases

SPACEDOCK: http://spacedock.info/mod/787/Half Size RSS

https://github.com/pap1723/HalfRSS-Textures/releases - These are the textures that are necessary to download

Included in the download:

INSTALLATION:

Extract to KSP/GameData. You should have one dll (Module Manager) in the root of GameData, and three new folders: HalfRSS, Kopernicus and ModuleFlightIntegrator. However, you are NOT DONE YET.

TEXTURE INSTALLATION:

Now, you must select a texture resolution. Download a pre-made pack (8192, 4096, or 2048) and then, if desired, selectively replace with different-resolution texutres. Note that 8192 is dangerous: you will almost assuredly run out of memory on 32-bit versions of the game.

You can get the textures from: https://github.com/Pap1723/HalfRSS-Textures
Go to the releases page and grab one of the resolution packs, then (optionally) get replacements from the repo itself. The path of the folder will be KSP/GameData/RSS-Textures Make sure you download from here and not the other RSS versions. There are additional biomes as well as additional planets that are included with the HalfRSS version.

RECOMMENDED MODS:

FUTURE PLANS:

• Create RemoteTech Configs (this is done, just need to test for release)
  • Configs for AntennaRange (this is included, but need to test for ranges)
  • Configs for Kerbalism
  • New Science definitions for new planets and moons
  • Height maps for all of Saturn's moons
  • New Biomes for all of Saturn's moons
  • More, much, much more!

CHANGELOG

Version 1.6

• Updated Kopernicus and ModuleFlightIntegrator to newest version
  • Changed Time Warps to be same as RSS (much faster than stock)

Version 1.5.1

• Europa Hotfix (actually included the correct file this time)

1.5 Planet Config Issues

• YOU MUST DELETE YOUR HalfRSS FOLDER FROM YOUR MAIN GameData FOLDER PRIOR TO INSTALLING THIS UPDATE
  • Fixed an issue where Miranda, Ariel, Oberon, Umbriel and Europa were not loading

1.4 Visual Atmosphere fixes

• Updated visual effects of atmospheres

1.3 RemoteTech Fixes - June 27, 2016

• Updated all configs for RemoteTech compatibility
  • Modified all RemoteTech antennas to work with the new size
  • Modified high space over Earth value

1.2 Major Bugfix - June 24, 2016

• Fixed the way that gravity parameters were being calculated. Thanks @MattMarquo

1.1 Updated Release - June 23, 2016

• Updated Kopernicus to the newest version that fixes bugs in 1.1.3
  • Updated the Custom Asteroids config with a file provided by @Starstrider42

1.0 Initial Release - June 23, 2016

LICENSE: CC-BY-NC-SA

If I have made the error of forgetting to include you in my thanks, or if I did not give you credit for work that is yours, I sincerely apologize. Please contact me and I will fix this oversight immediately!

Edited by pap1723
Version Update

Good luck with your mod, and I'm flattered that you'd include a Custom Asteroids config. You should know, however, that the config that ships with RSS is no longer supported by the RSS team and had quite a few issues (e.g., it has different effects depending on how the player installed Custom Asteroids). I started work on an updated config for RSS before I realized that CA support was getting pulled; feel free to modify it for half size RSS. The spawn rates in the linked config are in serious need of rebalancing, but otherwise it's mostly finished.

1 minute ago, Starstrider42 said:

Good luck with your mod, and I'm flattered that you'd include a Custom Asteroids config. You should know, however, that the config that ships with RSS is no longer supported by the RSS team and had quite a few issues (e.g., it has different effects depending on how the player installed Custom Asteroids). I started work on an updated config for RSS before I realized that CA support was getting pulled; feel free to modify it for half size RSS. The spawn rates in the linked config are in serious need of rebalancing, but otherwise it's mostly finished.

Thanks @Starstrider42! I modified the one that was with RSS to HalfRSS sizes, I will look more into the one you just provided as well!

Whoa, this is awesome. I've always sort of wanted to try RSS / RO but never made the jump to it because of the sheer scale of everything. (So I've always just tried to mod stock to be more realistic instead) But you've said that this allows for the use of stock parts and while I can imagine it will be a bit more difficult due to the larger scale, that it's not quite as big of a jump as going to RSS / RO would be. I'll definitely consider starting a new save using this mod once the rest of my mods have been updated for 1.1.3. (Which unfortunately may be awhile, as I have over 100 mods.)

Anyways, thanks for the awesome mod and keep up the good work!

2 minutes ago, CoriW said:

Whoa, this is awesome. I've always sort of wanted to try RSS / RO but never made the jump to it because of the sheer scale of everything. (So I've always just tried to mod stock to be more realistic instead) But you've said that this allows for the use of stock parts and while I can imagine it will be a bit more difficult due to the larger scale, that it's not quite as big of a jump as going to RSS / RO would be. I'll definitely consider starting a new save using this mod once the rest of my mods have been updated for 1.1.3. (Which unfortunately may be awhile, as I have over 100 mods.)

Anyways, thanks for the awesome mod and keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words! I will be creating a new Delta-v map for the mod, but it takes about 6650 Delta-v to get to a Low Earth Orbit.

If you use an existing RSS Delta-V Map, you can figure out the requirements with the following math:

Square Root of 0.5 x Number shown on Delta-V Map

Quick question, are the cloud configs all included with the mod? Aside from that, do you know if this mod would be incompatible with any mods, or should it generally work with most mods that work in stock?

1 minute ago, CoriW said:

Quick question, are the cloud configs all included with the mod? Aside from that, do you know if this mod would be incompatible with any mods, or should it generally work with most mods that work in stock?

Cloud configs are not included as of yet. It is something I am not very good at so I am trying to learn how they work. I will hopefully update them sometime soon.

There really should not be any conflicts with other mods. Really, the only issue would be if another Kopernicus planet pack existed in the same install.

I have been playing the test version with 60 mods that are visual, parts packs, life support, etc.

Just now, pap1723 said:

Cloud configs are not included as of yet. It is something I am not very good at so I am trying to learn how they work. I will hopefully update them sometime soon.

There really should not be any conflicts with other mods. Really, the only issue would be if another Kopernicus planet pack existed in the same install.

I have been playing the test version with 60 mods that are visual, parts packs, life support, etc.

Alright good to know, which mod adds the clouds in your screenshots? Would that be this one?

Just now, CoriW said:

Alright good to know, which mod adds the clouds in your screenshots? Would that be this one?

RVE hasn't been updated for 1.1.x yet so I have actually been using the files from Stock Size Real Solar System. They have created some awesome custom configs that work great for SSRSS. The clouds are not at the right heights for HalfRSS, but once you are in space, everything looks great. 

Updated to Version 1.1

1.1 Updated Release - June 23, 2016

• Updated Kopernicus to the newest version that fixes bugs in 1.1.3
  • Updated the Custom Asteroids config with a file provided by Starstrider42

Hello! I'm really enjoying this mod and I love the idea and the work you put into it! I am however running into a problem now after I've downloaded it. This could just be a glitch from the stock "Gravioli" display running in this modded world, but it says I'm getting a acceleration due to gravity of 19.47 m/s^2 on Earth as apposed to 9.81, and a lot of my once lift off worthy ships are now unable to leave the ground being that their Thrust to weight ratio isn't above 1 on Earth now, Is this intentional to make it more realistic? I can still get things into orbit with a lot more engines and stages, but I feel as though I've encountered a bug. Thank you in advance for any feedback!

5 hours ago, MattMarquo said:

Hello! I'm really enjoying this mod and I love the idea and the work you put into it! I am however running into a problem now after I've downloaded it. This could just be a glitch from the stock "Gravioli" display running in this modded world, but it says I'm getting a acceleration due to gravity of 19.47 m/s^2 on Earth as apposed to 9.81, and a lot of my once lift off worthy ships are now unable to leave the ground being that their Thrust to weight ratio isn't above 1 on Earth now, Is this intentional to make it more realistic? I can still get things into orbit with a lot more engines and stages, but I feel as though I've encountered a bug. Thank you in advance for any feedback!

There was definitely an error in the way gravity parameters were being calculated. Thank you very much for pointing this out! New version is updated!

Version 1.2 RELEASE - https://github.com/pap1723/HalfRSS/releases/tag/1.2

* Fixed the way gravity parameters were being calculated. Thanks to @MattMarquo for finding the error!

1 hour ago, wasml said:

Thanks for making this - downloading to give it a try.
One note: the spacedock texture link has the correct text but the actual link is to your spacedock page.

Thanks for letting me know that! I have fixed the link. I hope you enjoy and let me know if you have any ideas for improvements or if you find any bugs!

Is anyone having trouble with this new update because on my game its not having the planets or the Sun in the right place. Also the Only planet that is visible is the Earth. I tried to reinstall the mod and also reinstall the game with no luck. Im using the 4024 textures and tried on the 64 and 32 bit version of the game. 

Pics

http://imgur.com/a/6YzE5

Edited by Stinky

6 hours ago, Stinky said:

Is anyone having trouble with this new update because on my game its not having the planets or the Sun in the right place. Also the Only planet that is visible is the Earth. I tried to reinstall the mod and also reinstall the game with no luck. Im using the 4024 textures and tried on the 64 and 32 bit version of the game. 

Pics

http://imgur.com/a/6YzE5

This is a strange one! What version of KSP are you on? Any other mods installed? 

I played for about 4 hours last night and everything worked great so hopefully I can help you with this. 

14 hours ago, pap1723 said:

This is a strange one! What version of KSP are you on? Any other mods installed? 

I played for about 4 hours last night and everything worked great so hopefully I can help you with this. 

Im on 1.3 and the mods im running KAS KIS MEchJeb2 ScanSat SpaceY Tweakscale. KW rocketry Kerbal Engineer 

Update:

So it looks like it is a mod conflicting with it. 

Update 2: its not a Mod im just stupid and had RSS and the texture inside the KIS folder and didn't notice sorry and thanks for the great mod!!!

Edited by Stinky
update

1 hour ago, Stinky said:

Im on 1.3 and the mods im running KAS KIS MEchJeb2 ScanSat SpaceY Tweakscale. KW rocketry Kerbal Engineer 

Update:

So it looks like it is a mod conflicting with it. 

Update 2: its not a Mod im just stupid and had RSS and the texture inside the KIS folder and didn't notice sorry and thanks for the great mod!!!

Great to hear! Enjoy and share some screenshots!

37 minutes ago, Stinky said:

I was testing with Remote tech and for some reason its saying the mission control and stations are on mercury 

I am looking into this now. I am pretty sure I know what happened, I just want to make sure I fix it the right way.

Just now, pap1723 said:

I am looking into this now. I am pretty sure I know what happened, I just want to make sure I fix it the right way.

Yea i was bored too and i was messing around with your code and I tried changing the body variible, and it didnt do anything but then again i know very little about coding.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Currently the only thing preventing me from starting my first KSP 1.1.3 save is the lack of proper cloud configs for this mod. You mentioned you used the SSRSS cloud configs for the screenshots, though the clouds weren't at the right heights.. I wonder if it'd be relatively easy to modify those cloud configs to move the clouds to the correct heights? Hmm I'll probably take a peek at the configs tomorrow to see, I've never fiddled with cloud configs before so that'll be interesting.

11 minutes ago, Stinky said:

Yea i was bored too and i was messing around with your code and I tried changing the body variible, and it didnt do anything but then again i know very little about coding.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you could, please try this for me to see if it fixes the problem...

GameData/HalfRSS/Planets/Earth/Earth.cfg

On line 10, change the value from 30 to 1

Should now read flightGlobalsIndex = 1

1 minute ago, CoriW said:

Currently the only thing preventing me from starting my first KSP 1.1.3 save is the lack of proper cloud configs for this mod. You mentioned you used the SSRSS cloud configs for the screenshots, though the clouds weren't at the right heights.. I wonder if it'd be relatively easy to modify those cloud configs to move the clouds to the correct heights? Hmm I'll probably take a peek at the configs tomorrow to see, I've never fiddled with cloud configs before so that'll be interesting.

That would be great! I haven't had a chance to dive into the cloud configs yet. I don't know where to start and need to try and read some documentation on EVE. If you could figure it out, it would make my life a lot easier!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.