[1.2.2] Half Size RSS v1.7 (Updated 2-8-2017)

pap1723

On 8/29/2016 at 2:16 PM, Porter_John said:

Pap! I'm finally going to use this in a career save! I played around with it last week, love the scale! As someone who cannot play in stock size anymore, I feel like this scale is a nice mix. I feel like there is still a challenge in terms of scale, but still laid back compared to a 10x scale! Nice work man!

THNAKS Porter John! I look forward to seeing your streams!

21 hours ago, ricardoguedes21 said:

How do you get a geostationary orbit?

See this link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M84iOCHrRSnigvD8HLR__cQCToDachJohacKVtVZEb8/edit?usp=sharing

There are the correct altitudes to get to Geostationary, Half stationary, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

@Mitchz95 the astronaut name changer is a separate mod that does not care about the structure of the "solar system" (you can use it in stock KSP) so yes, it will work just fine (after being updated of course). For the latter no, RVE is not supported due to the scale difference between the half and the real life solar system. You could adapt the RVE configs though.

• 2 weeks later...

Helo, when i installed this mod i noticed it takes very very long time to get into SPH or VAB . 1- 3 minutes  . I used RSS some time ago and did not have this kind of situation  . Maybe someone have any idea how to improve loading times?

I have no issues when loading vessel on launchpad, in space, everything looks fine and VAB/SPH is a bit of a problem

Found the problem, it is simply x64 version of KSP that is having issues, normal 32 bits work fine even with lots of mods

Edited by Karamon
found solution for issue

Hey all, installed this mod and have been playing for the last few weeks.  Enjoying the new challenge very much!  BUT - I get the feeling that I am playing with RSS parameters in place or something.  In reading these forums I am seeing that it should take about 5000 deltaV to get to LEO, but for me it seems to take about 9000 deltaV to get into LEO.  Granted, my ships and launch trajectories may not be the most efficient, but I guess what I'm saying is that I feel like this is harder than it is supposed to be!  Is there a way to confirm that I am playing with HSS settings?  

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Italiaprime said:

Hello everyone,

Like Haxorlols posted my planets aren't changing to the real ones either.  I've tried career and sandbox.  I assume this is because it's not supported for the latest version of 1.2.0?  Thanks.

Windows 7 

Steam version of KSP

This will not work in 1.2 until Kopernicus is updated.

P.S. Benvenuto nel forum!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi @Kerbonaut.Bacon I had the same issues yesterday and then remembered that scatterer itself doesn't have any configs provided for RSS or HSRSS. What I did was that I opend the planetsList cfg file in the scatterer folder and I changed the name from Kerbin to Earth and Duna to Mars. Now I haven't done any fine tweaking just this first step but it was enough for scatterer to start working. Now I'm sure that these settings can be fine tuned quite more. But I don't plan on doing this right now. 

Let me know if this hint is working out for me, otherwise just pm me and I'll try to explain it a bit better.

Check the spoiler for cfg changes:

Spoiler

Scatterer_planetsList
{        
    scattererCelestialBodies
    {
        Item
        {
            celestialBodyName = Earth
            transformName = Earth
            loadDistance = 100000000
            unloadDistance = 200000000
            hasOcean = True
            mainSunCelestialBody = Sun
            eclipseCasters
            {
                Item = Moon

}
            planetshineSources
            {
                Item
                {
                    bodyName = Moon
                    color = 1,1,1
                    intensity = 0.0799999982
                    isSun = False
                }
            }
        }
        Item
        {
            celestialBodyName = Mars
            transformName = Mars
            loadDistance = 100000000
            unloadDistance = 200000000
            hasOcean = False
            mainSunCelestialBody = Sun
            eclipseCasters
            {
                Item = Deimos
                Item = Phobos
            }
        }

Hope it helps :)

Here some screenies that I just took:

and thanks @pap1723 for the update. I took quite a break from KSP but saw your mod yesterday as updated. It is much appreciated :)

Edited by Benti

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JedTech said:

Is the Low Orbit to Venus number accurate? It seems really high (19,100) compared to Earth to Low Orbit(6,700).

Remember, going to Venus you can aerobrake and it doesn't cost anything, but the super thick atmosphere will cause tremendous Delta-v requirements. Similar to taking off from Eve in stock.

16 hours ago, pap1723 said:

Remember, going to Venus you can aerobrake and it doesn't cost anything, but the super thick atmosphere will cause tremendous Delta-v requirements. Similar to taking off from Eve in stock.

Oh, silly me. I for some reason forgot about atmospheres. Dumb. Sorry!

• 1 month later...

Does this mod adjust heatshields or reentry heating or atmospheric parameters affecting them? My pods are getting cooked on reentry. I did a test with normal RSS and HSRSS (100% reentry heating in difficulty settings).

Craft: Mk1 command pod with 1.25 mm heat shield and Mk16 parachute.
Starting orbit: 300 km

Reentry periapsis: 50 km for RSS; 45 km HSRSS.

Reentry velocity:  7000+ m/s for RSS; 4400 m/s HSRSS

Results: in RSS the pod lands with 141/200 ablator units remaining on the heatshield; in HSRSS the pod survived but the heatshield was used up after scrubbing off only 1000 m/s (0/200 ablator units with 3400 m/s velocity remaining).

I've had instances with smaller heatshields where the ablator is all used up before reentry special effects even kick in.

What gives?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.