Impact of community mods to the released version.

Adie123

Im curious as to what role community mods will have on the released game, would be. I personnaly dont want to use mods unless theres a sandbox type scenerio. Having part mods inserted while playing career would surely kill the game if you have missions/tasks to do, which should be achieved with vanilla parts.

Any info planned or thought through on this subject?

How you play the game will be up to you. Just because you would prefer to have to use only vanilla parts to complete missions does not mean the game should restrict other players who maybe fine with using them.

Since the game is not multiplayer, whether or not other players use them is a moot point.

Pretty much all moddable games are like that, it\'s up to the user to decide what mods they are comfortable using.

Cheers!

Capt\'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

I personnaly dont want to use mods unless theres a sandbox type scenerio. Having part mods inserted while playing career would surely kill the game if you have missions/tasks to do, which should be achieved with vanilla parts

Then don\'t use them when there\'s a Career Mode. Simple as that.

This is from an old post by HarvesteR:

I see no problem with including mod parts even in career mode.

...it will only affect gameplay if you choose to install mod parts and use them in career mode.

I\'ve always felt there should be three modes, Sandbox, Career, and a Locked Career. Sandbox is what we have now, Career is career mode with mod parts available, Locked Career is pure vanilla career mode with specific statistics for it, or other advantages.

I really don\'t see any issue. I don\'t use mods because I find I get a greater sense of accomplishment when my crafts are built with vanilla parts. Does this mean I care if other players use mods? No, because it makes the game more enjoyable for them, and that is what this is all about - having fun.

If someone wants to mod the fuel tank to carry 3238923490 fuel so they can make it to the moon with 1 fuel tank and an engine, that really doesn\'t affect anyone else. The simple answer here is for you not to use mods in career mode. Now if there were a leaderboard or some other factor which would be affected, this would be a different story. But as the game currently stands, with no one gaining an advantage by using mods other than their own personal enjoyment and satisfaction, there is no issue.

I\'ve always felt there should be three modes, Sandbox, Career, and a Locked Career. Sandbox is what we have now, Career is career mode with mod parts available, Locked Career is pure vanilla career mode with specific statistics for it, or other advantages.

This would be an ideal situation. The problem with having any/all modes where we can insert mods for use, is that if you get stuck or something is a little too tough, you kind of get forced to look for alternatives (mods). But if there was a locked career mode where we CAN NOT cheat on, then that helps ones satisfaction for accomplishing the mode.

To everyone that viewed the point that it doesnt really matter or have any impact-

Giving us the choice to stray from vanilla is a fail in my eyes. For example \'Oblivion\', i loved the game but once i figured out we could use console commands to alter much of the game, it wasnt long b4 i found myself cheating most of the time and the game died for me very quickly. So its not that easy in practice to play a game with the parts supplied to us in vanilla when you know theres many mods out there that takes all the challange out of the game.

Now i dont know about you guys, but allowing us to cheat and giving us a locked vanilla mode are two absolutly different things entirely. Its not easy for everyone to ignore the fact that theres things out there that alter the game to allow you to skip merrily (or not so merrily as the case maybe) past a challenging part of the game.

Please check my sugestions in the development section

What you describe is different from your question;

Installing mods can of course have an effect in gameplay, depending on what kind of mods (ie purely cosmetic mods have no effect on gameplay). If you don\'t want mods that affect gameplay, don\'t install those.

But mods in general don\'t necessarily change what Squad does or does not put in the final release.

Many of the features that mods currently provide are already planned features, ie life support, electric system, navigation computers.

But possibly there are or will be mods that inspire Squad to put something like it in the game that they had not yet planned.

That sounds quite reasonable! Also a bit slightly off topic, but there should also be some \'difficulty settings\', ie/ easy gives you lots of money and not many failures, and hard gives you little money and random part failures

There should be some sort of formula based on the various other statistics to compute the cost of parts that can be applied to mod parts. If that mechanic can be figured out, then there should be no problem including mod parts in a career mode game.

• 2 weeks later...

Statistics and Achievements in a Locked Career would be AWESOMETASTIC. Booyah!

-Ziff, self proclaimed achievement whore.

To everyone that viewed the point that it doesnt really matter or have any impact-

Giving us the choice to stray from vanilla is a fail in my eyes. For example \'Oblivion\', i loved the game but once i figured out we could use console commands to alter much of the game, it wasnt long b4 i found myself cheating most of the time and the game died for me very quickly. So its not that easy in practice to play a game with the parts supplied to us in vanilla when you know theres many mods out there that takes all the challange out of the game.

Uhm.. So since you have no willpower or self control against cheating, you want to make sure that the option to do so isn\'t available at all to anyone else? That is, quite honestly, absurd. I love to play with mods and cheats, it extends the life of a game for me -AFTER- I have played through and beaten it. I would hate it if I couldn\'t go back into a career mode with some mods and say, go to the Mun using only this trebuchet and these high velocity waterguns used for a retroburn, er retroaqua? Whatever. The mods are a major part of what attracted me to this game.

-Ziff

Moderator edit: Please try to avoid double posting, especially in quick succession, just edit the post instead. :)

Edited by Ted
Poster had double posted.

Now if there were a leaderboard or some other factor which would be affected, this would be a different story.

I think if there were a multiplayer with a leaderboard there should be two, one with vanilla players\' stats and another for mods with two tabs, one showing overall stats and the other with the player\'s name, and next to it the name of mods that person has used in that craft. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Now if there were a leaderboard or some other factor which would be affected, this would be a different story.

I think if there were a multiplayer with a leaderboard there should be two, one with vanilla players\' stats and another for mods with two tabs, one showing overall stats and the other with the player\'s name, and next to it the name of mods that person has used in that craft. :)

This seems like the ideal solution to me. Everyone wins.

Moderator Comment: Just a quick reminder to keep discussions civil, would hate to see this sink into a flame war about mods vs cheating and willpower...

Edited by sjwt

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.