How long will Squid keep updating KSP?

Superizer

Hello everyone!

I am sort of new to KSP, I have played it at a friend's house half a year ago and now KSP is on sale on Steam and I would like to buy it, but I have one question, how long will they keep updating KSP? Like a year or three years? Does anyone have a good estimation?

Thanks for answering already!

Greetings,

Superizer

Well, if you were to read last week's devnote, you will see that they have recently added a new member to the development team, and plan to add more.  This tells me (playing for 3 years, best $22 spent ever) that this game will continue to develop for the foreseeable future.

Edit: ninja'd!  

Also: welcome!!!

Edited by justidutch

First of all I would update your topic title and change "Squid" into "Squad".

You may not be a native English speaker, neither am I.
But "Squid" is a scold word, and I don't think it's appreciated, although we probably all know it was your typing error.

First of all I personally would not recommend to buy it on Steam, unless you want the Steam extras like achievements for KSP. Either buy it from the KSP site directly or at gog.com.
Nobody knows how long they'll keep updating KSP, but the community is still very active and because it's been updating ever since 2011 it will first die off slowly. So my guess is nowhere soon.

As for updating KSP and Steam.
If you are going to use steam, make sure you copy/paste your entire KSP directory to a backup folder. Steam will autoupdate KSP and this can render savegames useless and definitely breaks your game if you will use mods (plugins)

Edited by Vaporized Steel

13 minutes ago, Vaporized Steel said:

First of all I personally would not recommend to buy it on Steam, unless you want the Steam extras like achievements for KSP. Either buy it from the KSP site directly or at gog.com.

Because?

6 minutes ago, regex said:

vOv  A good reason for one person often amounts to nothing more than FUD for others.

Let's just say it involves a Mk1 Command Pod, some rubber bands, Micro landing struts, and an embarrassing situation. DON'T JUDGE ME! JEREMIAH!!!! 

34 minutes ago, Vaporized Steel said:

"Squid" is a scold word

Native English speaker here. No it isn't. It's a cephalopod, occasionally a colloquialism for Pounds Sterling.

I personally would not recommend to buy it on Steam, unless you want the Steam extras like achievements for KSP.

There are not now and are no future plans (AFAIK) for Steam Achievements ever to be introduced for KSP.

If you are going to use steam, make sure you copy/paste your entire KSP directory to a backup folder. Steam will autoupdate KSP and this can render savegames useless and definitely breaks your game if you will use mods (plugins)

Good advice, tho Steam does allow you to download the 'last stable release' so it's always possible to retrieve the last version if u did accidentally allow updates to overwrite it. You can also instruct Steam not to auto-update your games. Of course this doesn't help if you've skipped versions.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

9 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Native English speaker here. No it isn't. It's a cephalopod, occasionally a colloquialism for Pounds Sterling.

It is most definitely a "scold word" if you're a motorcyclist, kind of like saying "nub" in gamer circles.

Edited by regex

47 minutes ago, Vaporized Steel said:

As for updating KSP and Steam.

Or click the button so that steam does not auto-update it.

The only time I ever care where I bought KSP from is on release day, and then I'm glad it was Steam. (Actually I bought it before it was on Steam and transferred it over.) KSP is DRM free, most KSP-vets would never mod their main install (much) and have separate installs for whatever mod combination they are running at the time. And when release day comes, I get the new version a few seconds after they launch. Its telling that Squad devs use Steam to distribute their dev builds.

"properties" => "updates" => "only update the game when i launch it"

then don't use steam to launch it.  create a shortcut or command alias or whatever you'd have to do anyway if you didn't install it via steam.

use steam to update the game, don't use it to launch the game.

1 hour ago, Superizer said:

I am sort of new to KSP, I have played it at a friend's house half a year ago and now KSP is on sale on Steam and I would like to buy it, but I have one question, how long will they keep updating KSP? Like a year or three years? Does anyone have a good estimation?

I think it's well worth the money even if they were to stop updating it right now -- which they're not.  It's in the middle of a major bugfix cycle though, which will take priority over new content.

@Nathair

Because... well, the problems relating to experience having a useless KSP folder if it auto updates to a newer version. One answer to your question was already in my reply. While we then do advise to backup your folder I think it's bad to even take the risk in case you might forget.
Personally I don't like investing into a company that distributes games and a simple platform app that makes millions off of it, so I don't think they deserve to be further administered money or attention. If you have Steam related issues besides KSP their service is appauling, and I have alot of personal experience with this.

So it is in some way my personal opinion, but I know others that think the same.

16 minutes ago, Vaporized Steel said:

Personally I don't like investing into a company that distributes games and a simple platform app that makes millions off of it, so I don't think they deserve to be further administered money or attention.

I'm always kind of baffled by this sort of reasoning.  There's a lot of services that Steam provides to the developer so that the developer doesn't have to front those themselves, and those sorts of things cost money.  Things like an easy distribution route, bandwidth and hosting, search listings, branch management, etc...  In fact, in many cases it probably costs the developer much less money to give Steam a cut for those services than it does for the developer to pay for it up front.  I mean, there's gotta be a reason so many games are on Steam...

Edited by regex

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.