Is it just me, or are people "snip"ing quotes less?

Tw1

It might be just me, but I'm noticing more big walls of unnecessary text, where someone has quoted the whole post to reply, rather than just highlights, or the relevant section. 

This is kind of annoying. Takes up space, results in scrolling over the whole thing, not reading the relevant bit, which partially defeats the purpose of quotes. 

Just me? Anyone else finding this more frequent and annoying?  Perhaps some sort of forum etiquette announcement or something might be an idea? 

32 minutes ago, Tw1 said:

It might be just me, but I'm noticing more big walls of unnecessary text, where someone has quoted the whole post to reply, rather than just highlights, or the relevant section. 

This is kind of annoying. Takes up space, results in scrolling over the whole thing, not reading the relevant bit, which partially defeats the purpose of quotes. 

Just me? Anyone else finding this more frequent and annoying?  Perhaps some sort of forum etiquette announcement or something might be an idea? 

No it's not just you. :P Get it?... That was in poor taste was it?, But I used to do that before I found out you can "snip" the quotes.

Ever since the forum move, quoting has been a pain. With a mouse it's okay, because you can highlight what you want and then sometimes "quote me" comes up and sometimes you have to click (removing the highlighting) to get "quote me" to come up and you have to click it assuming it'll quote what you just highlighted. Once you see that it WILL do that, it gets a bit better but it's still clunky.

If you make the mistake of just clicking "quote" then you're in worse shape, and Heaven forbid you want to split that quote into multiple pieces to address them separately. Doubly so if the message you want to multiply-quote is on a prior page of the thread.

All of these problems are on the desktop/laptop. If you're trying to do this with a phone it's far easier: You just don't bother. I have so many times started to try to quote someone in a message and then simply GAVE UP AND DIDN'T EVEN REPLY because I was on my phone.

Edited by 5thHorseman

@Mr. Quark someone had to do it. :P The internet needs irony. 

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

All of these problems are on the desktop/laptop. If you're trying to do this with a phone it's far easier: You just don't bother. I have so many times started to try to quote someone in a message and then simply GAVE UP AND DIDN'T EVEN REPLY because I was on my phone.

The struggle is real. I'm mostly on my phone atm, until I get my computer replaced, and have threads I've not posted in at all for this reason. 

Bringing back bbcode, I say. Or let us  easily format in html.

We've got these taggy things now but it's not quite the same. 

Edit: I seem to have found a method to delete quote things on my phone!  Click and try to add a Kerbal emoticon! And there was much rejoicing. 

Edited by Tw1

And the annoyance is squared when the reply to the quote is seven words long.

I had to scroll through the entirety of that, and you give me a response the length of the Oscar-B? Why would you do this to me?

Edited by Columbia

Yeah, it's kind of annoying sometimes, especially when only one part of the quote is relevant or when they quote a series of images. I do my best to snip all but the most relevant parts of the quote, and make a separate quote for responses to different parts of the post.

Edited by cubinator

Yup.. even using a mouse, with my laptop, i find it difficult to edit quotes... When I dont HAVE my mouse, and have to use the track pad, I dont even bother... I can only imagine how nasty it must be trying it on a PHONE...

I STILL dont uunderstand exactly how to edit quotes, even after the new forum has been here for MONTHS, and I post, what, 10-20 posts a DAY on the forums?...MANY with quotes...

Trying to edit quotes, there's times the "delete" & "backspace" buttons do not work like they do in every other Gigillionth computer program/interface out there...

Also trying to separate a quote into separate quotes, so replies of your own can be made in between them, is horrendous and tedious at BEST...

But yes, people NEED to start at least snipping photos & albums from posts they reply to.. AT LEAST, when the quoted posts are recent, and just a few posts above their reply... If a post from a page or more back is being quoted, I can kinda see allowing a full quote, even with relevant pic & albums... But yeah, when doing it with a post RIGHT above yours, yeah... thats not nice...

Edited by Stone Blue

15 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Yup.. even using a mouse, with my laptop, i find it difficult to edit quotes... When I dont HAVE my mouse, and have to use the track pad, I dont even bother... I can only imagine how nasty it must be trying it on a PHONE...

[P]eople NEED to start at least snipping photos & albums from posts they reply to.. AT LEAST, when the quoted posts are recent, and just a few posts above their reply...

(edited by adsii1970 for content and as an example)

If I may share my opinion, yes, it is difficult to edit a quote in the phone app. In fact, it takes time to do so. I normally wait to add a post that I feel needs a quote until I get home or where I can use my tablet. I edit posts essentially because there is only a small fraction of the post I find relevant to the point I am going to make. Sometimes, if the spelling or grammar is egregious, I will even edit it, but normally (as I have done in the example above), I state that the quote has been edited. To me, it is about making the most use of space available.

Even if you're replying or quoting a post from four pages back, there is, in my opinion, NEVER a reason to repost someone's entire photo journal. In the upper right corner of every individual post, there's the three little balls connected by two lines - it's called the "LINK TO SHARE" interface. Simply click it and a dialog button opens with the location already highlighted. Copy it (using <CONTROL> + "C") and then paste it  in an email, a blog entry, or instant message...oh, wait for it... or even within the forum itself. Just copy the link and paste it; this is what it looks like if done correctly:

This way, you can simply refer those responding after you to the exact long post you are referencing - and if it has images, you've shared them too by simply sharing the link of the original post.

Good point @adsii1970
i did say "RELEVANT" phots/albums.. meaning anything NOT releveant to someones quote should definately be snipped..

And yes, there is the share link, which I actually DO use quite often, but I had forgotten about using in this context... :D
Thanx for bringing it up... :)

I have what feels about 50/50 odds on whether or not I will be able to edit inside the quotation box. So yes, most of the time I don't even bother trying, because chances are that even if I tried, the forum wouldn't let me.

However I do make ample use of the mouse highlight quoting feature to preselect relevant text passages.

2 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Just lick the little down arrow icon

:P tried licking the icon, but doesn't work on my pc :cool:

OT: the problem is that walls of unnecessary pictures are taking up bandwidth. not so much a problem at home with a stationary machine unless I'm downloading big stuff like a KSP update, but I can imagine this being a PITA on a mobile or shared connection.

On 6/23/2016 at 2:13 PM, 5thHorseman said:

[...]

If you make the mistake of just clicking "quote" then you're in worse shape, and Heaven forbid you want to split that quote into multiple pieces to address them separately. Doubly so if the message you want to multiply-quote is on a prior page of the thread.

[...]

Here's a amazing trick I learned for this:

Inside a quote you want to split, press enter where you want to split it.  Then move the cursor to the blank line created by the enter.  Press enter again, and the quote splits into two.

On 24/06/2016 at 3:44 PM, Stone Blue said:

Similar here. With the new forum software, if my post ends up a mess, well I don't give a [expletive], the forum software's just going to make it too much of a pain in the rear end to be worth bothering. Heck, I have to start a new line after pasting a link if I don't want that link to be automatically borked.

3 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

WHOA! IT WORKS! 

Inside a quote you want to split, press enter where you want to split it.  Then move the curs

A little finicky, but less so than what I'd do before! :D

or to the blank line created by the enter.  Press enter again,

I have to press enter twice in the blank space to split the quote. It's not too hard to remove the extra space, though.

and the quote splits into two.

Thanks for the tip!

On a phone? Ugh.

I tried to do it, once. But then I accidentally deleted some of the important part of the quote, and I had no way to get it back. So, I tried deleting the quote to re-quote it, but the darn thing wouldn't work. I knew where the "delete quote" thing should be, and it just wasn't working. I eventually had to spam my thumb at roughly the right location until I got it- about a minute later.

4 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Let's try this blasphemy. See? It didn't... wait a second. It worked!

Inside a quote you want to split, press enter where you want to split it.  Then move the cursor to the blank line created by the enter.  Press enter again, and the quote splits into two.

TAKE ALL MY REP TAKE IT TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE IIIIIIIIIIIIT!

OMG, I can't believe I've been doing mouse gymnastics instead of this.  Now if this works on mobile too...

[snip]

I always look at the length of a quote, if its too large, I do not use the quote feature.... but I reply anyhow.

To me, snipping a quote leaves you open to accusations that you took the statement you DID quote out of context.

So there's definitely some of us noticing. Perhaps it's time for a forum moment of gently and politely requesting people snip quotes?

IMHO it looks awkward and nagging when someone who's a non-moderator makes a post like that without also making a comment on the thread's actual topic.

On 25/06/2016 at 1:09 AM, adsii1970 said:

Just copy the link and paste it.. 

[snip of link]

This way, you can simply refer those responding after you to the exact long post you are referencing 

Not a bad technique, should you want others to look at the whole post. 

23 hours ago, nightingale said:

OMG, I can't believe I've been doing mouse gymnastics instead of this.  Now if this works on mobile too...

:0.0:

It works on mobile!  Between this and the emotion to delete trick, it's almost workable!

On 26/06/2016 at 4:56 AM, Red Iron Crown said:

One of the neat features of the new forum software is you can collapse a quote to hide it like a spoiler. Just lick the little down arrow icon at upper left of the quote.

This and the new  link embedding thing are great features. It would be better to encourage better sniping techniques too though. 

19 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

I always [snip] do [snip], snipping accusations that you took the statement  [snip] out of context.

Ironically edited to misrepresent the original please no one do this outside of this thread that would be awful. 

see what you mean, but I guess it's more a case of choosing what to keep and what to dump, and clearly marking where you edited. Otherwise it's hard to understand what's being replied to or talked about. 

Edited by Tw1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.