[REUSEABLE ROCKET] 1 Rocket 1 Station

HELLO ALL 

This "1 Station 1 Rocket" Idea is essentially the concept of using 1 booster stage that you may not recover by going into the VAB or SPH again.                                                   LEADERBOARD:

to put a space station into an orbit of any altitude.  Station MUST be 3 modules or more, each module must                                               (tbd)

contain it's own probe, batteries, it's own way to generate power and must be 1.25m and be a fair size, just... Honor code people, no cheeky .625m Oscar B sized modules.

STEPS:
- Build a booster stage to get the payload to a point where it can use it's onboard engines to boost it to orbit

- Build a fuel truck to refuel the rocket after landing the booster

- Build a crane to put the module on the rocket Put the module on the booster however necessary

- Pack enough fuel in the modules to assemble a space station using only one rocket

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HARD MODE: 1 Moon base 1 Rocket

STEPS:
- Same thing as station except put it on the moon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCORING: I will keep a leaderboard of the scores, essentially you will be rated as to the mass of the station and rocket (KGs) minus the cost in funds (station and rocket), just so we have a cheap but large space station. (If you have a better idea plz comment)

Spoiler

ONLY OPEN IF YOU WANT TO SEE ME TRY TO DO THIS, I AM NOT TRYING TO SELF PROMOTE, SIMPLY TRYING TO GIVE AN EXAMPLE

Proof of concept:

First Module:

Edited by TheKSPDesigner
Specifying rules :P

5 minutes ago, The Thyroid Man said:

I'm confused. You want us to build an SSTO to get the station to orbit, then reenter it, recover it, put the next module on, and make the station like that?

Nah, use a rocket, much like the Falcon 9 :)

(if you're confused just use the example videos)

Cheers!

Edited by TheKSPDesigner
R.I.P. Grammar once more

I think I'll attempt this one, seems like a fun engineering challenge!

Although, I have to nitpick. How are entries going to be rated? I suggest something like a leaderboard for those who managed to complete it, or better yet, some kind of scoring system. Not sure how you'd score something like this, though.

Expect an attempt soon-ish. :wink:

3 hours ago, The Thyroid Man said:

Oh. Gosh. Yikes.

what defines a 'module'? Can it just be a battery or something?

i'll attempt this challenge as soon as I get home from school. (I'm on the bus right now lol)

It's generally just an honor system, don't be cheeky and launch a z100 battery module, something the size of a hitchiker or something, just a standard size space station module you'd put on your own space station :P (I'll update the rules :wink:)

3 hours ago, Pine said:

I think I'll attempt this one, seems like a fun engineering challenge!

Although, I have to nitpick. How are entries going to be rated? I suggest something like a leaderboard for those who managed to complete it, or better yet, some kind of scoring system. Not sure how you'd score something like this, though.

Expect an attempt soon-ish. :wink:

Thanks! I just put in the scoring system to the challenge desc. :)

excited to see what you come up with! :D

Just a thought, I think it'd be better if the scoring system was based off of the mass of the station, as you said, and the mass of the reusable rocket, since according to the current system, you could just add hundreds of thermometers to the modules, and it would raise the score a lot while not even really affecting the rocket. Now to try some ideas I had, involving driving the payload under the rocket, or making a ramped cargo docker....

By the way, how are you guys planning on doing the necessary refurbishments on the booster stage? 

I made a 70 ton fueling and refurbishing tower thing with wheels, creatively named 'Refurbishing Vehicle Mk1'. It was a necessary thing to make sure I could repack the chutes so I can use them again on other flights. Still figuring out how all of this is gonna work, But I think I might keep the booster I'm using for the actual attempt, since it already proved itself pretty capable at landing and tossing things up.

Wonder how other people are doing this, since I think I'm the only one doing a bottom-loaded payload, which is there simply because I feel like landing the payload on top of the rocket is boring, and too hard. :P

Can I just build the whole space station in one launch? Because I can just put a space station the weight of two mallard planes and put it in orbit with one launch. I can do four mallards too. 

If not, can we use winged boosters? Or maybe a completely reusable ssto

Also, where is @MoonMan22? He would be good at this. I'm just good at ludicrously big stuff. I'm also good at Dres love!

1 hour ago, max_creative said:

Can I just build the whole space station in one launch? Because I can just put a space station the weight of two mallard planes and put it in orbit with one launch. I can do four mallards too. 

Also, where is @MoonMan22? He would be good at this. I'm just good at ludicrously big stuff. I'm also good at Dres love!

I think he meant a rocket, not a spaceplane. Specifically, a spaceplane is something that uses lift in order to take off or fly around.

also, i think making an all-in-one station kind of ruins th purpose of the challenge.

7 hours ago, Pine said:

Just a thought, I think it'd be better if the scoring system was based off of the mass of the station, as you said, and the mass of the reusable rocket, since according to the current system, you could just add hundreds of thermometers to the modules, and it would raise the score a lot while not even really affecting the rocket. Now to try some ideas I had, involving driving the payload under the rocket, or making a ramped cargo docker....

That is a far better idea! I'll implement that :)

4 hours ago, Pine said:

By the way, how are you guys planning on doing the necessary refurbishments on the booster stage? 

I made a 70 ton fueling and refurbishing tower thing with wheels, creatively named 'Refurbishing Vehicle Mk1'. It was a necessary thing to make sure I could repack the chutes so I can use them again on other flights. Still figuring out how all of this is gonna work, But I think I might keep the booster I'm using for the actual attempt, since it already proved itself pretty capable at landing and tossing things up.

Wonder how other people are doing this, since I think I'm the only one doing a bottom-loaded payload, which is there simply because I feel like landing the payload on top of the rocket is boring, and too hard. :P

Whoa! That's really cool!!

3 hours ago, max_creative said:

Absolutely, but remember, it's total mass divided by total cost, so don't make anything too pricey :wink: (ooh, as for the SSTO if you can make one in the VAB go for it :)

2 minutes ago, macktruck6666 said:

I accept your challenge, but I will make everything but the payload/fairing reusable. Both first and second stage will be reusable. (although i don't know how many times for the second) :o

Sweet! Haha no worries, only the first stage needs to be

This is definitely a fun challenge idea, and is one of the classic KSP challenges:

You should put a link in the main post to the An Affordable Space Program: making the reusable spacecraft pay off. thread as an example of a prior challenge that is extremely similar to this one as a source of inspiration/ideas. It was a very popular and successful challenge.

I'd vote that you permit smaller sized modules and spaceplane lifting options. There's no reason to insist that it be 2.5m or strictly a rocket. 

Also make it more clear that the intent is that people must land their lift vehicle, somehow attach a new payload without reentering the VAB/SPH, refuel, and bring the new payload to orbit. 

KAS and Infernal Robotics are excellent ideas for the ground operations portion of the challenge. I highly recommend this as the time to try them out!

Scoring this kind of challenge is very difficult. I think your scoring criteria are no better or worse than what anyone else has come up with. Ground refuelling / reloading payloads is such a dramatic and fun challenge that everyone that completes it should be considered a winner. (Much like the K-Prize, only much cooler.) 

The real measure of the challenge success is how you can keep the OP updated to highlight and celebrate everyone that completes it. Definitely put some time into pretty-ing up and organizing the OP!

Here's the writeup of my adventures in reuasble launch vehicles.  And here's the thoroughly absurd space station I built that way, prior to the 1.0 aero changes. This challenge is a lot harder now that the aero changes severely limit your designs to things that fit in the cargo bays. :( Part options really haven't kept up with the game changes, in terms of permitting fun/creative/crazy/Kerbal designs. 

On June 28, 2016 at 6:23 PM, gchristopher said:

This is definitely a fun challenge idea, and is one of the classic KSP challenges:

You should put a link in the main post to the An Affordable Space Program: making the reusable spacecraft pay off. thread as an example of a prior challenge that is extremely similar to this one as a source of inspiration/ideas. It was a very popular and successful challenge.

I'd vote that you permit smaller sized modules and spaceplane lifting options. There's no reason to insist that it be 2.5m or strictly a rocket. 

Also make it more clear that the intent is that people must land their lift vehicle, somehow attach a new payload without reentering the VAB/SPH, refuel, and bring the new payload to orbit. 

KAS and Infernal Robotics are excellent ideas for the ground operations portion of the challenge. I highly recommend this as the time to try them out!

Scoring this kind of challenge is very difficult. I think your scoring criteria are no better or worse than what anyone else has come up with. Ground refuelling / reloading payloads is such a dramatic and fun challenge that everyone that completes it should be considered a winner. (Much like the K-Prize, only much cooler.) 

The real measure of the challenge success is how you can keep the OP updated to highlight and celebrate everyone that completes it. Definitely put some time into pretty-ing up and organizing the OP!

Here's the writeup of my adventures in reuasble launch vehicles.  And here's the thoroughly absurd space station I built that way, prior to the 1.0 aero changes. This challenge is a lot harder now that the aero changes severely limit your designs to things that fit in the cargo bays. :( Part options really haven't kept up with the game changes, in terms of permitting fun/creative/crazy/Kerbal designs. 

Wow! Thanks for the long response :) thanks! I didn't know that challenge existed, I'll be sure to mention it :) I will make sure that 1.25m modules are allowed but I'm not gonna permit any smaller than that :P  I do agree that if you manage to complete this challenge you are most certainly a winner if you complete this, especially if you complete hard mode :wink: I do however have to disagree with KIS and stuff as this is intended to be a really tough challenge and mods like those could severely limit the amount of difficulty that this challenge presents :) Thanks again!

Finally finished perfecting (that's a relative term) the infrastructure for the challenge! And what a mission this is! Spent a lot of time working on this, and it definitely wasn't wasted time! I learned quite a lot of stuff, and my attempt video should be here later today or tomorrow. But for now, I thought it would be cool to leave an album telling the story of how I made every system in the mission, and to inspire other challengers!

Without further ado, here's how I spent the last week(ish) of KSP!

I got most of the way through an attempt before notice the reload requirement. I ended up with a single launch space station with its initial crew and the rocket almost completely recovered. A few more tweaks and I should have it on land not splashed offshore of KSP. I'm never gonna be good enough to land at KSP so forgettaboutit.

1 minute ago, joshudson said:

I got most of the way through an attempt before notice the reload requirement. I ended up with a single launch space station with its initial crew and the rocket almost completely recovered. A few more tweaks and I should have it on land not splashed offshore of KSP. I'm never gonna be good enough to land at KSP so forgettaboutit.

Hey, here's some food for thought, how about building a plane to bring over a payload and fuel? :wink:

14 minutes ago, TheKSPDesigner said:

Hey, here's some food for thought, how about building a plane to bring over a payload and fuel? :wink:

You gotta fly better than I do to pull that off. I stink at planes.

Landing is an issue- unless you know how to pinpoint land at the KSC from orbit without destroying anything. Without mods, I think. Speaking of that, can we use an orbital tug to help us?

Edited by Bev7787

3 hours ago, Pine said:

How would you use an orbital tug? I'm rather curious as to what your plan is now!

Launching to intercept an orbiting station requires perfect timing and launch profile. I was never able to reliably manage it even with MechJeb.

Once you're in orbit, it's a lot easier to have a tug come and take your space station component to the under-construction station, rather than haul either the entire launch vehicle or the entire station to a rendezvous. Especially if your launch vehicle is at its max payload, it will only have enough fuel for the reentry burn and landing. 

I see what you mean. The way I did it is such that the payload already goes up with a means of propulsion able to push it into orbit and then rendezvous with the other modules. That did make my launch margins really small though, with about 30 seconds after releasing payload doing a boostback while the payload accelerated the remaining 1,600 m/s needed for orbit.

But then again, if you launch the tug, it would make it way easier for you to push them around. Why didn't I think of it? Good luck mate!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.