Project Mercury

MrPwner

Okay, so you're going to make the boost engines an SRB stage instead of liquid fueled? I guess that works, but then you have to adjust the liquid fuel capacity since you'll be overfueled if you don't and either won't make orbit or will be able to way out perform what you want. ;)

As for the "unsure if can ignite in space" I know that's what was given officially, but the guys at LMCO said that the records didn't support that to the point that the original X-11 models and several X-12's were launched without the sustainer engine into stable orbits (using the boost engines alone). They felt the system could have easily launched SSTO without the booster engines and instead using a second sustainer (much as the Atlas III and Atlas V do) to carry out the entire launch and throttling back the engines to produce the same acceleration curve as they would have with the boost engines or using an expanding nozzle (which had already been done on several Solid-fueled rockets) to provide maximum thrust efficiency throughout launch.

Well, I was under the impression that the booster stage engines were solid fueled :P I've checked Encyclopedia Astronautica before, but only looked for measurements and picture material :P Good thing you brought it to my attention!

It can be a liquid fuel though, give both engines their own fueltank and it won't cause problems. I'm more worried about the decoupling.

The Boost Engines are indeed liquid fueled from the same tanks as the sustainer engine. It provided a much simplified system which was thought to enhance reliability (which it did, but not as much as they thought it would). However, what it really did was provide 2 different nozzles. The boost engines (actually 1 engine with 2 combustion chambers and nozzles) provided thrust optimized for lower atmospheric flight while the sustainer engine provided thrust through a much larger divergent bell designed for upper atmospheric and vacuum flight. However early on this caused a problem as the turbopumps failed on a regular basis and then manifolds iced up, causing failures because the cause wasn't fully understood. They eventually figured it out and fixed it with the Atlas E & F models.

Hey nice work on this project I'm sure you know the history of mercury an subsequent mercury launches so what do you thin of the idea of adding well.... animal test flights to ksp http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury-Redstone_2 I mean think of the fun we could have with making rockets with laika's and ham's at the controls :)

No not yet, I'll need to figure out the unity parttools for that first. I may start that when I've got all the models finished. We ARE planning on adding a hatch even though no EVA's were ever done with the Mercury Capsule.

No not yet, I'll need to figure out the unity parttools for that first. I may start that when I've got all the models finished. We ARE planning on adding a hatch even though no EVA's were ever done with the Mercury Capsule.

I can add a hatch if you wish.

I've been real busy and haven't been able to do much more of the texturing lately. I'm working on a job at my cousins' house and getting paid so I can make a mock up spacecraft. haha.

So don't worry everyone. As soon as the work there is done, I've got more work to do on Mercury with MrPwner to help texture.

I've mostly been playing KSP instead of modelling, so.. progress is kinda slow, but here's what I've got on the Atlas

Booster stage close-up

0ATWN.png

Whole assembly (except verniers) ready for launch, too bad it exploded on launch.. probably have to fiddle with massess and connection strengths :P

m1F4E.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm currently working on getting a custom shader with transparency and emissive both in an animation working for the Reentry Heat plugin.

After that, I'll pick this up again. Got vacation now, anyway. :D Gonna get me some 'inspiration' tonight ;)

I still need to do UV-mapping on most of the Atlas. Maybe redo some other UV's as I learned some handy tricks. Then, a lot of texturing, though most of it should be easy. I'm dreading texturing the capsule, though. I'm not good with GIMP.

And after thát I need to balance the hell out of it.

And again, the first release will still probably be an outline of what it should be, hope that's good enough for you. And won't contain Little Joe just yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.