The jet engine contrails look disgusting at lower altitudes.

They look good when you're at high altitude, not so much when taking off or landing.

I get that you need something to indicate whether or not the engines are throttling up, and it might work for, say, RAPIERS and ramjets, but on the Wheesley and Juno?

gpZyTW5.png
mTO6Key.png
JcDoYxq.png

No. Eugh. no. 

An alternative:

You know the exhaust at the other end of an airliner's engine? It's sort of a blur?

?url=%2Fcmsmedia%2F85%2Fe8%2F54a99d85410

That might work, but less intense.

At high altitude, say, 5000m, the contrails could be displayed:

Contrail_fourengined_airplane.jpg

..That's it. Tell me what you think.

Edited by Columbia

That sort of blur effect is more complex and GPU-intensive than puffs of smoke, so it's more likely to cause a framerate hit.

I think the bigger issue is that at high speed, the contrail looks like a bunch of isolated dots instead of a continuous trail.  It'd be better if they were connected.

1 minute ago, Wyzard said:

That sort of blur effect is more complex and GPU-intensive than puffs of smoke, so it's more likely to cause a framerate hit.

I think the bigger issue is that at high speed, the contrail looks like a bunch of isolated dots instead of a continuous trail.  It'd be better if they were connected.

Perhaps a simple way is to "stretch" the particles in the prograde direction so it looks sort of connected, without making new particles.

It'd probably work better to just replace the particles with a strip of quadrilaterals, like a smoke-textured banner trailing behind the engine.  (Naturally, the texture would have to be animated sliding backward along the strip at the speed that the engine is moving forward.)  The same strip could also be used for the heat-ripple shader effect, if desired.

On 6/27/2016 at 7:37 AM, Yakuzi said:

@BahamutoD has previously done some amazing work on the exhaust refraction you're suggesting:

BahamutoD mentioned there's no significant performance hit (apart from specific viewing angles). Would be great to see in the (stock) game.

Hmm, has he said any latest news about it?

Also, thanks for the feedback.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.