Petition: Remove the Monolith from KSC

Should the monolith at KSC be removed?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Should the monolith at KSC be removed?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (please explain)

I will also mention that in 1.1.2 I was in the mountains to the west, and i have scansat related evidence to suggest there should be an anomaly there, and there was nothing. So hopefully they're not done with them yet. The idea to put it on the south side is good too.

5 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

I didn't know one could rotate the camera at the KSC look-at-buildings screen, until like my 400th hour of playing.:sealed:

Yeah but did you know the arrow keys let you reposition the camera too?

31 minutes ago, Violent Jeb said:

I will also mention that in 1.1.2 I was in the mountains to the west, and i have scansat related evidence to suggest there should be an anomaly there, and there was nothing.

AFAIK, ScanSat simply has a pre-programed list of the coordinates of known anomalies.  If no one has found the anomaly and reported it then ScanSat will not show it even if you scan for them (there is no actual scanning there, just the simulation of it). So, using ScanSat as evidence of an anomaly is not really evidence at all.

That said, as I recall there was once an anomaly at one time in the mountains to the west.  Whether or not it is there in 1.1.3, I have no idea.

Edited by Alshain

Monolith be removed from the KSC?

No, that thing was there long before KSC was there. Even if it does get a glitch and needs one of the Kerbal staff members to go out there and give it a swift kick to debug it.

It would be liking having NASA next to Stonehenge and tearing down Stonehenge.

Monoliths aren't exactly pretty, but neither are the Kerbals, and they are still around (yes, I know the Kerbals are a functional part).

On 6/28/2016 at 0:08 PM, Core said:

Monolith be removed from the KSC?

No, that thing was there long before KSC was there. Even if it does get a glitch and needs one of the Kerbal staff members to go out there and give it a swift kick to debug it.

I remember when it was in a different place, closer to the scanner building.

I also remember when they didn't exist.

On 6/28/2016 at 11:08 AM, Core said:

It would be liking having NASA next to Stonehenge and tearing down Stonehenge.

But they did do that in 2001. Remember? :P

Edited by Brownhair2

16 hours ago, THX1138 said:

At least allow us to demolish it!

Destroying historical/anomalous artifacts?

Right-click on it after demolition and the repair price is $1,000,000,000,000,000,000.

That's sounds fair enough, under those circumstances.

16 hours ago, THX1138 said:

At least allow us to demolish it!

And risk it activating? At best, it just sends off a signal... at worst, it decides the experiment is over.

Best to just let it be.

I have seen this thread come by a few times, and have postponed to reply. Because my reply might not be very positive, yet since it's been bumped time and time again I will just be honest with the TS. 

But this is turning a mouse into a elephant.
This is trying to push the time and effort of the developers for something insignificant.
If you ask this to be removed, why not remove all extra easter eggs, and why not the island runway while we're at it.
It's not like KSP is populated with objects you know. One big miss of mine is that KSP lags objects in it.

While we're at it, I would like stock trees just for game completion without needing scatterer.
Would trees in a future KSP release be a problem?
Tell me know, this way we'll know in advance.

You wouldn't want trees? Ok, fine!
Or...you would!, or any other objects added! If yes, how does one single monolith make a elephant?

For all you know it has bob, bills, jebs and valentinas signatures.

The real life Kennedy space center has the astronaut memorial. My guess is that this kerbal version next to the KSC is a version of it.

By any means, you may suggest squad to make the kerbal one look more like the Kennedy one.

We have monuments on earth! Apparently we have monuments on Kerbin. What place would be more suitable for a high tech spaceport...
You want one in the dessert?... ? .... NO!?
Then you don't want one nowhere it seems.

I'm not even going to put in "no' for an answer into your poll, because I'm 1000% sure (that extra null is not a typo) that it will never be over 50% aye!.

Your issue with this monument is purely opinion based, and granted it is your right. That said, it's as silly as asking for a discount at a supermarket because the product packaging is slightly damaged while there were undamaged packages on the same shelf. That while other customers might not even have complained and taken it home. Presenting this as a issue, not to mention making a poll for it seems attention seeking to me. And I'm absolutely convinced that you didn't lay awake one extra minute any day at all while battling this very, very, very great calamity of yours.

All I know is that the return of easter eggs in general was a general request of many. In my opinion it will notify users and especially new users that there are objects in the game besides the buildings of the KSC and the island runway to look for.

This is just harping around about useless and unimportant stuff. Sorry for expressing myself the way I did, but I find this extremely and utterly pointless.

Edited by Vaporized Steel

On 25/06/2016 at 6:00 PM, Third_OfFive said:

Placing a monolith right next to the KSC completely defeats this purpose.

On 26/06/2016 at 1:47 AM, Just Jim said:

With respect, I disagree. 

I think making it larger and more visible is the perfect way for new players to learn about Easter eggs in general, without having to visit the forums. 

I was going to say exactly this.  it suggests that there may be other odd things to find. 

I do agree it's become a bit too obvious, but I'm not so keen on the idea of hiding it around the buildings. I think it should be something that you might glimpse while doing a landing approach to the runway, maybe just outside KSC in the terrain to the west, where the rougher ground would make it less apparent.

On 6/25/2016 at 10:27 AM, cantab said:

Relocate it to an anonymous hangar at the KSC itself. So it's not visible at a glance but can be found if you explore KSC.

What about a hanger on the island airfield?

I'd vote for at least moving it off screen a little bit. That way it isn't always right in your face, but if you rotate the camera around you'll spot it. As it is now, it's like a mole on KSC's face. I just want to chop it up into guaca-mole-ie.

I will join the chorus of "keep it but shrink it". It's way too big now. But with the numbers of players now playing in the depths of Kerbin's oceans, maybe add a couple of easter eggs under water along the coast... in the coastal shallows.

28 minutes ago, Sirad said:

By the way, is there a fix that removes the Company Logo on the Monolith ?

Are you serious?! :D
That is like an easter egg without any "easter egg" in it

I like the proposals to move it somewhere not-immediately-obvious but still close by. One other possibility is to just make it invisible from the KSC view, but keep it in the same place.

Honestly, what we need regarding Easter Eggs is something tying them all together, for the player to figure out...

On a completely unrelated note, I hear if you turn off the lights and face a mirror while saying "NovaSilisko" three times he jumps through the mirror and uninstalls KSP from your computer.

Perhaps you could remove it with a mod? Like the Monolith mod? :-D

Indeed the Monolith(s) mod could create an whole new side story revolving around the Monoliths located on various planets in the the Kerbol System, similarly to 2001 Space Odyssey. What language are mods written in? If I could do it in Javascript I'd love to.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.