Question about mobile processing labs

I'm building a research station to hang out over Mun for use moving into the future. I've read up on the mobile lab part, because last time I played this game extensively enough to use it was some time ago, and it sounds like it works much differently now.. I know if you keep using different labs you can keep collecting and using the same experiment results and processing them into data. I also know you get multipliers for the amount of science payout depending on where the lab is. My question is this: can a lab do the one-time processing into data in orbit, then land on the surface of an object, and process the same results again for the new modified science amount? I'm guessing I would need to gather the experiment results a second time, but would it work with the same lab like that? Or would I absolutely have to make a second lab to be able to do this?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.