[1.4.X] SM Marine, Version 0.9.9.3 KSP xx PSA important

16 minutes ago, XOC2008 said:

Hullbreach is cool but some of my hulls gained heat inexplicably right after launch, and it crushes my subs at 50 meters. I know it's wip so I figured I'd mention it.

It will only crush your sub if you use parts that have a MM patch that gives the appropriate value or module, there is no way it can crush anything unless specifically told to do so, the effect is not universal.

Some sadly does not represent a bug report, I will say that I am unable to replicate this  behaviour having launched at least 30 times this evening.

1 minute ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

It will only crush your sub if you use parts that have a MM patch that gives the appropriate value or module, there is no way it can crush anything unless specifically told to do so, the effect is not universal.

Some sadly does not represent a bug report, I will say that I am unable to replicate this  behaviour having launched at least 30 times this evening.

Hm, not sure what parts I used that were in that patch, all I used were the sub parts in LBP and stock control surfaces for dive planes. I didn't see any of those in the cfg file. And man, it obliterated the sub. It crushed everything but the conning tower pod.

Whatever the reason, it did it. So I had to remove the mod for the time being, which sucks cause I like it a lot otherwise. Hopefully I can figure out what is happening. I'll give it another test run and see if I can record some video of it happening.

Just now, XOC2008 said:

Hm, not sure what parts I used that were in that patch, all I used were the sub parts in LBP and stock control surfaces for dive planes. I didn't see any of those in the cfg file. And man, it obliterated the sub. It crushed everything but the conning tower pod.

Whatever the reason, it did it. So I had to remove the mod for the time being, which sucks cause I like it a lot otherwise. Hopefully I can figure out what is happening. I'll give it another test run and see if I can record some video of it happening.

That in all likely hood had nothing to do with the mod but everything to do with the game hating large submarines, usually they get torn part with bits going into orbit and mostly only the tower splashing down.  The crush effect is a large and violent explosion with a blast radius incidentally tested at 200 mtrs plus, so not a small bang by any means. I have not added submarine  parts to any of the patches as the subs are balance critical and you can't randomly mess with the values and still avoid disasters.

I have a real beauty that i simply cant use because of the forces the game subjects it to when submerged

ERIYCeu.png?1

26 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

That in all likely hood had nothing to do with the mod but everything to do with the game hating large submarines, usually they get torn part with bits going into orbit and mostly only the tower splashing down.  The crush effect is a large and violent explosion with a blast radius incidentally tested at 200 mtrs plus, so not a small bang by any means. I have not added submarine  parts to any of the patches as the subs are balance critical and you can't randomly mess with the values and still avoid disasters.

I have a real beauty that i simply cant use because of the forces the game subjects it to when submerged

ERIYCeu.png?1

Oh it definitely was the crush effect. It warned me right before the explosion, and at 50 meters exactly, everything but the tower being annihilated. I'm wondering if it was the engines I used that caused it.

Just now, XOC2008 said:

Oh it definitely was the crush effect. It warned me right before the explosion, and at 50 meters exactly, everything but the tower being annihilated. I'm wondering if it was the engines I used that caused it.

I'll check the patches and I may have to make some clearer definitions, as to what is what. That said what you are playing with is not technically even released to work with LBP or SMM I have the only valid dev patches at present and they are not on GH SO the results you are seeing are quite out of date.

15 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

I'll check the patches and I may have to make some clearer definitions, as to what is what. That said what you are playing with is not technically even released to work with LBP or SMM I have the only valid dev patches at present and they are not on GH SO the results you are seeing are quite out of date.

That might explain a lot! I'm just impatient and wanted to sink some ships! :)

11 hours ago, XOC2008 said:

I figured it out. It was the waterjet engine that is in LBP for the submarine. Set off a chain reaction that destroyed the rest of the sub.

That was my bad - as SpannerMonkey was mentioning we are still tweaking the MM configs and I used  a [waterjet*] :) 

@SpannerMonkey(smce) begs the question, how do we want to handle engines that are submerged?

Edited by gomker

2 minutes ago, gomker said:

That was my bad - as SpannerMonkey was mentioning we are still tweaking the MM configs and I used  a [waterjet*] :) 

No worries. I'm getting ahead of myself, and should just be patient. I just really wanna sink some ships! :D

Also, I want some of the stuff Spanner shows off on his ships that aren't available anywhere. At least not that I've found. Like the above command pod for his ship up there.. or those smokestacks.

Edited by XOC2008

Hi, a couple of days ago I mentioned that in order to preserve my sanity and open up the potentials for mixing and matching parts from SMM and LBP I was thinking about changing all the SMM parts to an LBP Grey.  I severely broke one of my test games last night so had to make a nice clean install, and while i was at it I changed the aforementioned colors, so now SMM parts and LBPparts merge fairly seamlessly.  I foresee that SMM will become the accessory addition for LBP, that mod needs no more parts really. but there is plenty of room for other mods to provide parts for LBP in order to make ships more shippy (technical term)

SO here's a glimpse of what LBP grey SM Marine parts look like

jg02Ndy.png

PLr4VeD.png?1

48 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

Could you make the textures tweakable with Firespitter, perhaps? I don't fancy all my ships being grey.

Its sadly not that simple, the ships are currently comprised of multiple meshes, and each mesh has to be named  and identified in order for the whole ship to change color, and doing it here would need it to be done on Boomsticks and LBP as the colors are currently matched so that the parts all fit nicely together.  I have a new technique for doing the collision meshes so it may be possible in the future.  I don't intend to add anymore hull parts, as the main direction really is toward the ancillary items, masts, drives decks, funnels, bridges etc everything but  hulls. And the new grey is not as dark as the preview pic, I've changed color on both to a much lighter blue grey than the extra light and extra dark as it was previously,  There are some nicer shots of the new color in the LBP thread. As a point of interest, these parts were never meant to be pleasure ships (there's a mod for that) but meant for recovery and general work that you'd want a ship for, or just destroying each other..

Cheers

On 9/7/2016 at 10:54 PM, XOC2008 said:

That might explain a lot! I'm just impatient and wanted to sink some ships! :)

Build has been updated with new MM patches for NAS and other tweaks.  I believe I have resolved the crushing contagiousness - there was a flaw in the logic.

No 1.2 just yet - I am just now getting my dev environment updated.

Edited by gomker

20 hours ago, gomker said:

Build has been updated with new MM patches for NAS and other tweaks.  I believe I have resolved the crushing contagiousness - there was a flaw in the logic.

No 1.2 just yet - I am just now getting my dev environment updated.

So I found an issue with hullbreach. Scaled up boat parts don't have the seawater scale up enough to affect the increase in buoyancy in tweaked parts, so all it does is make the ship sit a bit lower in the water. Not sure if this is particular to me or not. 

Theres also an issue with welded parts but I think if I reweld them with hullbreach installed it should fix some of that. I welded them without hullbreach present.

5 minutes ago, XOC2008 said:

So I found an issue with hullbreach. Scaled up boat parts don't have the seawater scale up enough to affect the increase in buoyancy in tweaked parts, so all it does is make the ship sit a bit lower in the water. Not sure if this is particular to me or not. 

No not just you, I've yet to make a scale exponent for HullBreach so we're currently stuck with the free scale version, I'll have speaks with pellinor(the tweakscale guy) about it

I'll have to check out what happens to the cfgs of welded parts as i don't think what you end up with is the cfg that is referenced in the patch, plus there are no values set for part combos,. The latest patch allows for 1.000.000 units of sea water per LBP hull part any less it's too slow any more it's too quick (with a default multiplier) , so i think you'd have to tune patch values for your particular build. I'll look into it though.

48 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

No not just you, I've yet to make a scale exponent for HullBreach so we're currently stuck with the free scale version, I'll have speaks with pellinor(the tweakscale guy) about it

I'll have to check out what happens to the cfgs of welded parts as i don't think what you end up with is the cfg that is referenced in the patch, plus there are no values set for part combos,. The latest patch allows for 1.000.000 units of sea water per LBP hull part any less it's too slow any more it's too quick (with a default multiplier) , so i think you'd have to tune patch values for your particular build. I'll look into it though.

Would you like my welded build for testing purposes? I can send it when I get home.

7 minutes ago, Commander Jebidiah said:

Any chance of alternate Download sites for when Spacedock decides to go down? (Like it has as I'm posting this and for the last day)

Hi yes of course, thanks for mentioning it, I've just added an emergency link the the OP, and should you be too exhausted to scroll up :P

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qchvm4q4015qhhn/SM_Marine0-8-5-097.zip?dl=0

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All. with 1.2 finally a thing the time for  a new update is due, this update removes two of the early hulls but they will still be in zip form should you have used them.  They will remain for one update more and be gone. 

This update has of course the color change in order to work with LBP, a load of structural parts panels, masts  and  two new small fast craft hulls, a specially reworked hull8 to make it suitable for shallow water and river work.  and a final addition a little Tug boat kit, still with the one part (trouble free) hull but with a full set of parts to build the tug below, the same applies  to the new RC1 Riverine, a single part but scaleable hull with a set of complementary parts to suit, these parts also work on the PT hull which has the familiar teardrop of a torpedo boat or similar.

While i finish the last few annoying details i'll give you some pictures to contemplate

YjuNBC4.gif

BoC3FqY.png

M00miwL.png

tLS6mVQ.png

IRiAKlB.png

SieB5hP.png

aGK6D6V.png