[1.4.X] SM Marine, Version 0.9.9.3 KSP xx PSA important

Hi gang just a little note to those using the static pack linked above and in the OP ,  thanks to @Ger_space the current brave soul who's taken on the maintenance of Kerbal Konstructs , I've managed to clear away some long standing irritations with the cfg's and models (yay) 

Ger_space has also been kind enough to create a water launch category to make searching for potential launch sites for ships easier on the users.  I've also worked out most of what upsets KK and dealt with it appropriately .  Also I've added a few more bits and bobs to make the docks start to come alive and expanded on some of the already created facilities, and as always thrown in some extra ship  launch spots, the most recent are in proximity to KerbinSide bases.  SO if you fancy some new launch spots or just something new to look at it's worth updating.

Spoiler

(ps if you've a decent system it may be worth turning the pixel light count up a little in order to get full illumination from the new statics)

Jr7pxpm.png

1 hour ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi gang just a little note to those using the static pack linked above and in the OP ,  thanks to @Ger_space the current brave soul who's taken on the maintenance of Kerbal Konstructs , I've managed to clear away some long standing irritations with the cfg's and models (yay) 

Ger_space has also been kind enough to create a water launch category to make searching for potential launch sites for ships easier on the users.  I've also worked out most of what upsets KK and dealt with it appropriately .  Also I've added a few more bits and bobs to make the docks start to come alive and expanded on some of the already created facilities, and as always thrown in some extra ship  launch spots, the most recent are in proximity to KerbinSide bases.  SO if you fancy some new launch spots or just something new to look at it's worth updating.

Hide contents

(ps if you've a decent system it may be worth turning the pixel light count up a little in order to get full illumination from the new statics)

Jr7pxpm.png

woow.

3 hours ago, phreakshow said:

How do you put a ship in the water?

The Firespitter mod has a "craft mover" part you place on your craft, and you can place/ump it around anywhere you want...
If you dont want the rest of the Firespitter mod, ust delete evrything EXCEPT the mover part folder...

There's also HyperEdit, which is also for putting any craft, any thing into any orbit... You can even CHANGE the orbit of planets  moons, IIRC...

Edited by Stone Blue

Just now, PDelta41 said:

Is there any interest in adding career functionality to this pack? I'm putting together a Community Tech Tree naval branch, and I could add MM configs for your parts, if you like.   

Hi,  career is not something I've been interested in playing although i did enjoy a science career for a bit, I have no objections though as it's only minor tweaks to make it happen, I'd imagine most of it be available early career as it's all basic stuff nothing late game or technical, perhaps there could be though..

24 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi,  career is not something I've been interested in playing although i did enjoy a science career for a bit, I have no objections though as it's only minor tweaks to make it happen, I'd imagine most of it be available early career as it's all basic stuff nothing late game or technical, perhaps there could be though..

The changes would be to add the parts to appropriate tech nodes (dependent on Community Tech Tree) and to balance costs (both part costs and unlocking cost). Most of the parts would indeed be early career, though some of them (mostly submarine and aircraft carrier parts) run toward mid-career. The only other change I'm considering would be perhaps to turn off infinite fuel, requiring that ships be refueled or recovered/relaunched. (Kerbal UnRep, anyone?) Otherwise, I wouldn't touch functionality. 

Just now, PDelta41 said:

The only other change I'm considering would be perhaps to turn off infinite fuel,

You'd need to be a bit careful here, most of the infini fuel in SMM comes from generators that needs to be started, and the fuel amount is set in the hull for best balance, LBP stuff the fuel acts mostly as ballast and reworking the values for all those parts based on empty tanks could be time consuming. How the hell do you even price something like a hull? as a large fuel tank maybe, but whereas a fuel tank can be used for many craft,  the hull is a hull and therefore nowhere near as useful so should it be cheaper? My only reservation concerns the amount of parts that would need to be balanced as it's no exactly a small mod these days, unless you just start with core parts like hulls engine and command pods and gradually work through the rest

10 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

You'd need to be a bit careful here, most of the infini fuel in SMM comes from generators that needs to be started, and the fuel amount is set in the hull for best balance, LBP stuff the fuel acts mostly as ballast and reworking the values for all those parts based on empty tanks could be time consuming. How the hell do you even price something like a hull? as a large fuel tank maybe, but whereas a fuel tank can be used for many craft,  the hull is a hull and therefore nowhere near as useful so should it be cheaper? My only reservation concerns the amount of parts that would need to be balanced as it's no exactly a small mod these days, unless you just start with core parts like hulls engine and command pods and gradually work through the rest

True, it would be rather unfortunate to have a ship capsize simply because it's used half of it's fuel. I'll take a look at it and see if there's a workaround, and get back to you on that. That's pretty low on my list, though.
I'm still entertaining ideas as to how to assign price; my main thought is to base it off of weight and to compare completed ship cost to rocket cost. In the real world, they're both about $30/lb. I'll take a look at fuel tanks, engines, and command pods to get a good price/lb.
I thought there were about 65 parts? Using MM callouts, that's not really that many to address; I have 9 tech nodes, I can create one item per node that references multiple parts. Cost will take significantly longer, but probably not more than a few weeks.

5 minutes ago, PDelta41 said:

I thought there were about 65 parts?

It would be a mistake to just count folders, as there are many that share textures, but if you count every single mu it's 136 parts( though i really don't know right now what you have and haven't got, I'll have to download my own mod to make sure)),  needless to say there are some easy ones to deal with such as the structural panels etc which already have an established value and i see no reason not to adopt it for all, the same can be said of all the small structurals like rails and stairs, no point making it more complicated than it needs to  be , unless there is :)

11 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

It would be a mistake to just count folders, as there are many that share textures, but if you count every single mu it's 136 parts( though i really don't know right now what you have and haven't got, I'll have to download my own mod to make sure)),  needless to say there are some easy ones to deal with such as the structural panels etc which already have an established value and i see no reason not to adopt it for all, the same can be said of all the small structurals like rails and stairs, no point making it more complicated than it needs to  be , unless there is :)

Yeah, I'd forgotten about the structural panels, ladders, stairs and such. They would certainly be last to be addressed. I'll take a look tonight and compile a list. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question before I use this pack, I have an issue in 1.2.1 where fengist ships are too easily destroyed by bda so I turned it up to 6000 heat resistance but still easily destroyed. But large boats are too large and are too hard to destroy with nas. Does this have a good balance?? Because this would be amazing

27 minutes ago, Orion Kerman said:

I have a question before I use this pack, I have an issue in 1.2.1 where fengist ships are too easily destroyed by bda so I turned it up to 6000 heat resistance but still easily destroyed. But large boats are too large and are too hard to destroy with nas. Does this have a good balance?? Because this would be amazing

Hi  SM Marine and the LBP are balanced to work with most  weapons mods and Hull Breach, for best results Hull Breach should be added to your install as they were developed together, .and substantially changes what kills what and how fast

I know that the current version of LBP is a little too weak for NAS ,  especially the larger guns,  I see you disagree, but i have had innumerable reports on battle performance that claim the opposite  .  We do have an issue with NAS in that the guns are stupidly powerful, and if I were to balance for them then nothing else in the game would touch them,  and I'd be back to indestructible boat parts which is not my intention.  The SM hulls and parts work well with most but they were never intended to be large hulls, the tweakscale was added as a convenience for users but is not something I favor for these parts and big guns will kill them pretty fast as should be expected from small vessels under heavy fire

Hi  SM Marine and the LBP are balanced to work with most  weapons mods and Hull Breach, for best results Hull Breach should be added to your install as they were developed together, .and substantially changes what kills what and how fast

I know that the current version of LBP is a little too weak for NAS ,  especially the larger guns,  I see you disagree, but i have had innumerable reports on battle performance that claim the opposite  .  We do have an issue with NAS in that the guns are stupidly powerful, and if I were to balance for them then nothing else in the game would touch them,  and I'd be back to indestructible boat parts which is not my intention.  The SM hulls and parts work well with most but they were never intended to be large hulls, the tweakscale was added as a convenience for users but is not something I favor for these parts and big guns will kill them pretty fast as should be expected from small vessels under heavy fire

Well I did the strength test a while ago so it must of changed thanks for your advice but I am using 1.2.1 so. Anyway thank you for the advice. I will probably download it tommorow.

1 minute ago, Orion Kerman said:

Well I did the strength test a while ago so it must of changed thanks for your advice but I am using 1.2.1 so. Anyway thank you for the advice. I will probably download it tommorow.

Hi quite a lot has changed in LBP in particular, more to bring it in line with my vision of how it should be.

@SpannerMonkey(smce) in your description thingy m Bob there is Kerbal hand held weapons does it work for 1.2.1

5 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi quite a lot has changed in LBP in particular, more to bring it in line with my vision of how it should be.

Ok thank you, I will be downloading tommorow. I find that longer battles than a 2 second destrution of a ship.

Edited by Orion Kerman

4 minutes ago, Orion Kerman said:

in your description thingy m Bob there is Kerbal hand held weapons does it work for 1.2.2. 

Hi yes and no the weapons work they all fire etc  but  , Kerbals are not the same creatures that they were in pre 1.2 versions and are now invulnerable to any kind of BDA weapon, so Kerbs can't shoot other kerbs and kerbs can resist even hits from a 500lb bomb, so until the situation changes we've paused development. The BDAc team are working on it but it's a low priority compared to other projects.

Hi yes and no the weapons work they all fire etc  but  , Kerbals are not the same creatures that they were in pre 1.2 versions and are now invulnerable to any kind of BDA weapon, so Kerbs can't shoot other kerbs and kerbs can resist even hits from a 500lb bomb, so until the situation changes we've paused development. The BDAc team are working on it but it's a low priority compared to other projects.

Are you sure you didn't just test on Jeb. You need to test NORMAL Kerbals!!

(I know you tested with more than Jeb, I was thinking Jeb is just awesome he somehow always survives mostly due to kerbals bowing to the monument saying use alt-F12)

Edited by Orion Kerman