[1.4.X] SM Marine, Version 0.9.9.3 KSP xx PSA important

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/10/2017 at 10:35 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

tsgmmNM.png

SM_Marine 0.9.7.6 BETA for KSP 1.3.1

A large update adding 3 new ships (more really) , the Typhoon submarine, many many new parts .
This release Beta due to testing every possible combination of part has proved impossible in house.
Please use the issues facility to report any problems

https://github.com/SpannerMonkey/SM-Marine/issues

Requires 1 copy of SM_Industries (included) be installed
NOT installing the SM_Industries folder will mean that parts may not appear, strings will be nonsensical and mod performance will be reduced

Do note this is likely to be the last large update to SMM, at 100mb it needs to grow no more. . further updates will be concerned with enhancing the many items already contained in the mod. including the addition of some epic IVA's

https://github.com/SpannerMonkey/SM-Marine/releases/download/v0.9.7.6beta/SM_Marine.131.Beta.0.9.7.6.zip

1V1bN1K.png

Does this update work solely with the BDaC beta update thingy or the current (general) release?

29 minutes ago, Cdodders said:

Does this update work solely with the BDaC beta update thingy or the current (general) release?

The current 0.9.7.6  beta release works in ksp 131 with BDA release versions

The upcoming will only work in KSP 1.3.1 BDA armor overhaul .

PSA and heads up to all supporters and user of SM Marine  and it's related family.

You may be aware of the current BDA damage overhaul beta.  If not you should check it out.   This new version of BDA changes a LOT of the things  in a weapon cfg and moves things around quite considerably.  ALL mod development is currently focused on making SMI work fully and correctly within the new BDA framework.  This has brought about substantial changes in the file structure within the mod  family in order to make things easier to manage.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should any subsequent version of SMM be merged or mixed with a previous version, if this doesn't break things immediately it will result in multiples of the same item appearing throughout the editor menu.

This brings many benefits for the future as well as increased organization.  Things have been moved around to make them easier to  find.   SM Marine no longer contains any weapons , only those designed for the Dallesque sub remain.   This is part of a re organization of all the SM mods, as we have more parts than a game dev studio and a lot fewer bodies we have to make it easier to manage.   Those weapons that have been removed if they are fitted to craft will indeed break the craft, ALL those removed parts are in the new SMI Missiles and Launchers  or SM Armory installing these mods will restore your craft, and  we have but a lot of effort making sure that things built using the SM group will be craft safe, although the locations and structure has changed the game will find the them and fit as required should you have the required mod.

To go with the BDA Beta the is a new ship design, the J Class based on the hull of a WW2 destroyer it's become a firm favorite of all who've tested it.   It's    a multipart hull  with no resources,  everything you need is supplied but it all has to be fitted,  you need to fit fuel tanks in the bilges, these hold ALL the resources for the vessel.  Internally there is 1 steam turbine per drive, and you will not need more than two of each.  The turbines produce steam the drives use to provide propulsion,  the drives  only work in conjunction with the turbines, no steam = no go.  There are steam powered bow thrusters, and steam powered hul breach pumps, and for those wishing to use something other than steam for your bow thrusters, there's a hydraulic pump. 

The reason for the new design is simple,  ships like LBP , big dumb parts,  have a big dumb damage profile, to kill any module you have to kill the whole,  and killing the whole craft is the only way in release versions.  By removing the modules to individual units and in conjunction with the BDA damage overhaul , shell penetration can and does destroy these internal units

OOu1IlM.pngimg5fBD.pngxK5BZQ8.pngEPnKblU.png

Beta versions of everything will be available shortly .

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

do you have any craft files for the cargo ship or tugboat? trying to build a cargo ship but not really finding parts (it's also entirely possible i have to0 many parts to sift thru that i'm not seeing the right ones)

On 16/12/2017 at 6:36 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

The current 0.9.7.6  beta release works in ksp 131 with BDA release versions

The upcoming will only work in KSP 1.3.1 BDA armor overhaul .

PSA and heads up to all supporters and user of SM Marine  and it's related family.

You may be aware of the current BDA damage overhaul beta.  If not you should check it out.   This new version of BDA changes a LOT of the things  in a weapon cfg and moves things around quite considerably.  ALL mod development is currently focused on making SMI work fully and correctly within the new BDA framework.  This has brought about substantial changes in the file structure within the mod  family in order to make things easier to manage.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should any subsequent version of SMM be merged or mixed with a previous version, if this doesn't break things immediately it will result in multiples of the same item appearing throughout the editor menu.

This brings many benefits for the future as well as increased organization.  Things have been moved around to make them easier to  find.   SM Marine no longer contains any weapons , only those designed for the Dallesque sub remain.   This is part of a re organization of all the SM mods, as we have more parts than a game dev studio and a lot fewer bodies we have to make it easier to manage.   Those weapons that have been removed if they are fitted to craft will indeed break the craft, ALL those removed parts are in the new SMI Missiles and Launchers  or SM Armory installing these mods will restore your craft, and  we have but a lot of effort making sure that things built using the SM group will be craft safe, although the locations and structure has changed the game will find the them and fit as required should you have the required mod.

To go with the BDA Beta the is a new ship design, the J Class based on the hull of a WW2 destroyer it's become a firm favorite of all who've tested it.   It's    a multipart hull  with no resources,  everything you need is supplied but it all has to be fitted,  you need to fit fuel tanks in the bilges, these hold ALL the resources for the vessel.  Internally there is 1 steam turbine per drive, and you will not need more than two of each.  The turbines produce steam the drives use to provide propulsion,  the drives  only work in conjunction with the turbines, no steam = no go.  There are steam powered bow thrusters, and steam powered hul breach pumps, and for those wishing to use something other than steam for your bow thrusters, there's a hydraulic pump. 

The reason for the new design is simple,  ships like LBP , big dumb parts,  have a big dumb damage profile, to kill any module you have to kill the whole,  and killing the whole craft is the only way in release versions.  By removing the modules to individual units and in conjunction with the BDA damage overhaul , shell penetration can and does destroy these internal units

OOu1IlM.pngimg5fBD.pngxK5BZQ8.pngEPnKblU.png

Beta versions of everything will be available shortly .

I take it the J class parts aren't released yet? I can't find them among the files or in the hangar

1 hour ago, Cdodders said:

I take it the J class parts aren't released yet? I can't find them among the files or in the hangar

Yeah, not as of yet. Spanner has been tweaking things to get them ready for release. So best I can give you is expect them soon™️!

14 minutes ago, Cdodders said:

Ah good then its not just me!

Yes it's taking a little longer than I'd like but with 9 large betas all due together it's bound to be a bit sluggish from time to time,  and while i'd very much like to push it all out, and let the users decide, It's become more important to have everything as it should be, rather  than to get updates done as quickly as possible.  Even though we'd spent weeks digging through it,  some parts in the last updates  escaped the net and did not behave as they should.

In hindsight it's easy to see  that with the amount of parts in SMI, which constantly grows,  that anyone without the resources of  a games company,  is going to come unstuck from time to time . Too late now though. SO bear with us, I'm hoping to link up the betas over the next couple of days ( all being well)

W7ji0vk.png

• 2 weeks later...

SM_Marine 0.9.9.0 BETA  BDA Damage Overhaul version

SM_Marine 0.9.9.0 BDA Damage Overhaul version

A complete overhaul of SMA to meet the new BDA specifications.

This version of for those wishing to use the latest BDA BETA versions in KSP 1.3.1 only

Do not merge or overwrite any existing folders, ALL beta updates must be clean install.

IMPORTANT.

ALL missiles, torpedoes and turrets that had crept into SMM with the exception of those included for Dallesque have been removed and relocated . The missiles and torpedoes can be found with many other surface warfare missiles in SMI Missiles and Launchers

And the relocated turrets are to be found in SM Armory

I apologise for any inconvenience, this change was required as part of the larger sort out of the mod groups structure.  Any craft already having those items fitted . will be restored to service upon installation of the mod containing the removed parts

Includes updated SM Industries which must also be installed. Only one version of SMI is required for all the mods please use the latest version only and do not overwrite or merge with previous versions

Includes J class modular hull and internal modules , engines pumps etc. J Class wiki
Includes TACTASS high efficiency towable sonar units , much more effective than hull mounted units

NHZZpLv.png

Spoiler

d5htrqQ.png

OOu1IlM.png

xK5BZQ8.png

0TsSSpo.png

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, War Eagle 1 said:

I found a bug where the Dallas Type sub does not close the vls or torpedo tubes unless all the missiles/torps have been fired. 

Thats the same BDA bug that affects all missile launchers, door remain open until last missile if fired, and turreted things continue to move. It's a known, but thanks anyway.

4 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Thats the same BDA bug that affects all missile launchers, door remain open until last missile if fired, and turreted things continue to move. It's a known, but thanks anyway.

No problem. I know yall are working hard but hope it gets soon(tm) 

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy, could use a little help with diving the submarine. Apparently I can't figure out what exactly I'm doing wrong. 

I've placed my sub onto the water, turned oxy generators, engines, used FastDive to flood the ballast tanks, sub goes about half way into the water and.....that's about it.

I have a feeling i'm making a mistake.

Here is a screen with all parts shown: https://imgur.com/a/lpxGU

Edited by Kreo
new img

1 hour ago, Kreo said:

I have a feeling i'm making a mistake.

HI, thats an odd one, and i've only seen it happen on things that have been scaled up (usually)  I've just rebuilt my sub fleet and they're ll working as expected.

Most of the sections have an excess of ballast, I usually expect to see between half and 3/4full at max, and that should have you sinking like a stone.    Are you running any mods that change the environment?,  not including scatterer which i know has no effect on water physics. I shall recheck my end and get back to you.

Hi, thanks for the answer. And no, i wasn't using any scaling (alto I do have a mod installed, TweakScale) .

Here is a list of my mods.

Everything else works great, and btw, awesome mod!

https://imgur.com/a/extX5

UPDATE: I removed following addons:

TweakScale

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

scatterer

StockVisualEnhancements

Rest look like that https://imgur.com/a/JLUp1

Problem still persist.

Edited by Kreo
New info

1 hour ago, Kreo said:

Here is a screen with all parts shown

hi back again, all seems well here , and  had the available guys on the test team run it as well, so it's not just me :)  

What i dont see on your craft are any ctrl surfaces? you'll need them.  The Typhoon is one of the bets set up subs  with  only a slight negative buoyancy when fully ballasted, which makes for easier usage and better game play option. This means that in order to have full vessel control you need to have some fwd momentum , you in effect fly the sub like an overweight aircraft , something you cant do without rudders elevators etc   . 

How you launch the sub can also have an effect, vessel mover sometimes hangs on to them, not letting them settle in the water,  makes sure your sub can move before filling ballast ,  With the tanks full as in your image I'd expect the thing to be under water,  decks should be covered at around 3/4 full. 

Anything else you have attached can and will affect buoyancy , use only the SM Marine marine ctrl surfaces as  stock surfaces are very buoyant and become extremely buoyant if scaled up.

suggested locations for ctrl surfaces

1fXBBn1.png

cskwHOq.png

If you recheck that there's nothing excessively buoyant attached to the sub, it's free to move, and  you dont have any water physics altering mods , and it still will not sink  I'll need to see a zipped copy of your KSP.log . 

1 hour ago, Kreo said:

I literally removed every single mod except the necessary ones and it finally went down.

When you've identified which mod was the culprit could you let me know?  as even if i cant  fix the why ( in an all game safe way)  I can include it on a known issues list , cheers