[1.4.X] SM Marine, Version 0.9.9.3 KSP xx PSA important

Hi all, couple of new things that need a decision, and it's one i can't really make, the question, to release or not to release, and if release, standalone, or part of SMM? Downsides to standalone, more mod folders, downside to added to SMM not everyone wants X and it makes the mod even bigger .  First a rather large modular  Multi Purpose vessel, inspired by the test team and the Blue Marlin. The second item is a sailing ship of all things, in two flavors trader and pirate, all mast sails, rig parts and decks are individual parts.  So what  do they look like? images below, take a look, opinions on releasing and how welcome. Also to be considered is that I'm also quite happy to keep them as dev toys,

CP49mz0.pngm1NfBzP.pngnnmFbej.png

And the sailing ships

W13SPXF.png8Wu01N5.pngW4Ort7g.png2OzaOTg.png?1

• 2 weeks later...

Good News
Sorted out a way to launch the sub without cheating .
Bad News
Ok its in the water , how do I sink the  thing ?
Stop it sinking ?
Oh and resurface it ?
Killed god knows how many Kerbals trying to work it out
Do I have to click on each compartment indvidually ?
Its doing me head in lol

Edited by Puggonaut 2
Dyslexic when Drunk

2 minutes ago, Puggonaut said:

Sorted out a way to launch the sub without cheatin

Hi vessel mover or kerbal konstructs water launch methods are not cheating. The game provides no way to launch a water craft otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Puggonaut said:

how do I sink the the thing

Sinking is easy

First start engines, start fuel pumps , start oxy generator then,

Simply select a tank , any one, do note there are fast fill pumps and slow fill pumps, the gui indicates which is which. 

using right click select flood tanks, when vessel has submerged until deck is almost awash, select stop , make sure all is good, ( this step will not be required when you have used it a few tiimes) 

now select a slow fill pump and select trim down, once deck has submerged you will find that any fwd motion in combination with trim or dive planes will cause the sub to dive,  with practice however all the subs can achieve neutral buoyancy and hang motionless below the surface.

Disclaimer obviously i have not tested every single possible way there is to assemble all of these parts , and how the sub responds depends on how the sub is built or scaled

If you leave any fill  pump switched on and all the tanks are filled the sub will sink to the bottom. 

In simple terms anything marked pump in will add ballast .. anything marked pump out will remove it.

I suggest enabling advanced tweakables as fine attitude control can be achieved using those options , though if advanced tweakables is also cheating perhaps this is the wrong mod for you. 

51 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi vessel mover or kerbal konstructs water launch methods are not cheating. The game provides no way to launch a water craft otherwise.

Sinking is easy

First start engines, start fuel pumps , start oxy generator then,

Simply select a tank , any one, do note there are fast fill pumps and slow fill pumps, the gui indicates which is which. 

using right click select flood tanks, when vessel has submerged until deck is almost awash, select stop , make sure all is good, ( this step will not be required when you have used it a few tiimes) 

now select a slow fill pump and select trim down, once deck has submerged you will find that any fwd motion in combination with trim or dive planes will cause the sub to dive,  with practice however all the subs can achieve neutral buoyancy and hang motionless below the surface.

Disclaimer obviously i have not tested every single possible way there is to assemble all of these parts , and how the sub responds depends on how the sub is built or scaled

If you leave any fill  pump switched on and all the tanks are filled the sub will sink to the bottom. 

In simple terms anything marked pump in will add ballast .. anything marked pump out will remove it.

I suggest enabling advanced tweakables as fine attitude control can be achieved using those options , though if advanced tweakables is also cheating perhaps this is the wrong mod for you. 

Thanks for the quick Reply appreciate it .

One other Question GUI ???

Sub is one i found on this thread prebuilt no scaling or anything just as it came form KerbalX .

Installed the Mod an followed the instructions and have all the other stuff recomended .

KSP Ver 1.3

Hi again GUI= right click menu = PAW = Part Action window

Hi the subs uploaded to kerbal X can all achieve neutral buoyancy fairly easily in an un altered state

Depending on missiles and torpedoes loaded you can occasionally find the sub a tiny bit tail heavy, to counter act this right click one of the fwd tanks and pin it , then right click the subs drive section and pin that too, and close the supply to the BallastWater, click the little x at the end of the resource volume scale,  Now using the advanced tweakables pump out some ballast from the aft tank to the fwd tank

Push comes to shove i'll do a little demo video to clear any issues up :)  Practice makes perfect and most people seem to get the feel for them pretty quickly,  if it's all too much perhaps try the minsub first , that uses the same systems as the bigger subs but far fewer of them, this will give you a chance to get used to all the windows etc before diving in to one of the bigger ones

Hi all, It's been a bit quiet on the screenshot front of late, we have however not been very quiet at all, between us the Team and I have pulled together another lumpy update.  Includes many things and unexpectedly a few more new craft, of which the purpose and design of a couple of them will only be revealed with time :)

I'll be shortly announcing a beta mode phase for a new mod pack, a collection of weaponry specifically designed to deal with ship to ship and ship sub combat, a lot of which is very different to things currently around. interested parties (those capable of providing constructive reports and logs etc) get in touch or watch this or SMA for details

Cheers

tsgmmNM.pngjMkKrJ2.png

I am having trouble with the Aster missiles. The Aster 15s get stuck in the VLS launchers most of the time and the Aster 30s won't fire from a hotkey linking it to the weapon manager's "Fire missile" command. I could get the Aster 30s to fire by right clicking them individually, but they won't lock on. Also, what torpedo/missile goes in the mk32 launcher?

19 minutes ago, Floorpancake said:

I am having trouble

Hi   with the Aster missiles and VLS units in general never use surface attach, that being the only time i've ever encountered an issue with them.

Have you simply tried the WM select and fire missile via mouse key press, that being the only method I use. As failing to do this will result in the VLS not opening properly, leading to missile collisions.

Regarding correct weapon for MK32  Spearfish, Sting ray, MK99, and while you can launch missiles from it, I do not, so for a missile anything that fits pretty much, same rules apply though, don't use surface attach only attach by end nodes.  Using Torpedoes and missiles without end nodes is not recommended or supported. Also worth a mention clipping of VLS units will result in missiles failing to launch and exploding within the launcher

And just to check that something is not aims I ran a quick test myself , results below, do note that the type45 VLS should be snap attached by the bottom node, not to be surface attached

Spoiler

10 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi   with the Aster missiles and VLS units in general never use surface attach, that being the only time i've ever encountered an issue with them.

Have you simply tried the WM select and fire missile via mouse key press, that being the only method I use. As failing to do this will result in the VLS not opening properly, leading to missile collisions.

Regarding correct weapon for MK32  Spearfish, Sting ray, MK99, and while you can launch missiles from it, I do not, so for a missile anything that fits pretty much, same rules apply though, don't use surface attach only attach by end nodes.  Using Torpedoes and missiles without end nodes is not recommended or supported. Also worth a mention clipping of VLS units will result in missiles failing to launch and exploding within the launcher

And just to check that something is not aims I ran a quick test myself , results below, do note that the type45 VLS should be snap attached by the bottom node, not to be surface attached

Reveal hidden contents

The only way I got the missiles firing is by attaching it to a stock radial attachment point to a large ship parts destroyer hull. but the whole VLS launcher is raised. This will let the Aster 15 missiles fire, but the aster 30 missiles won't bother launching unless right clicked. In the Actions menu I set 1 to the Weapon manager "fire missile" selection. This lets me fire Aster 15s but not aster 30s.

EDIT: I tried the "Hold left mouse button" and it shoots the Aster 15 missiles, but still not the aster 30s. I do have many other mods. Would you like a mod list? 

EDIT: Added screenshot of what I mean. 

ficvSBb.png

Edited by Snark
Fixed some formatting problems for you ;-)

3 hours ago, Floorpancake said:

Would you like a mod list? 

No but I'd very much like to see a copy of your KSP .log in zipped downloadable form    It's quite important as nobody else has reported an issue, my test worked fine.  Do note that there are only two hulls that the Type 45 fits, and you have just one of them. Unlike some mods, all of SMI gets tinkered with constantly  so is subject to pretty much continual testing, so obvious issues like yours get dealt with, usually long before you get to see it, which makes the problem you're having quite mysterious.

Hi, SpannerMonkey(smce), I REALLY REALLY love your mod! Great parts, mechanisms, and everything! However, I do think I'm doing something wrong, as all parts have some weird names, like #autoLOC_SMIndustries_1000500, and the descriptions are basically the same, all weird codes. Is this meant to happen? Please help! Seen as below. I just dragged the [SM-Marine folder] from the [SM_Marine 0.9.7.5 folder] into my [gameData folder] (without the [SM_Industries folder]).

SkyLvdp.png

Also, can you share some ships you made? Without the weaponary, please?

Thank you and keep up the great work!

Edited by william2002730

12 minutes ago, william2002730 said:

Hi, SpannerMonkey(smce), I REALLY REALLY love your mod! Great parts, mechanisms, and everything! However, I do think I'm doing something wrong, as all parts have some weird names, like #autoLOC_SMIndustries_1000500, and the descriptions are basically the same, all weird codes. Is this meant to happen? Please help! Seen as below. I just dragged the [SM-Marine folder] from the [SM_Marine 0.9.7.5 folder] into my [gameData folder] (without the [SM_Industries folder]).

SkyLvdp.png

SkyLvdp.pngAlso, can you share some ships you made? Without the weaponary, please?

Thank you and keep up the great work!

You obviously did not read the instructions, which stated you needed to download and install the localization file as well, which will fix these problems. As for ships, there are some bare-bones ships and subs to be found on KerbalX:

https://kerbalx.com/XOC2008/craft

9 hours ago, XOC2008 said:

You obviously did not read the instructions, which stated you needed to download and install the localization file as well, which will fix these problems. As for ships, there are some bare-bones ships and subs to be found on KerbalX:

https://kerbalx.com/XOC2008/craft

Wait so where exactly are the instructions, I must have missed them.

Thank you so much!

Edited by william2002730

On 7/3/2017 at 0:05 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

5IfRSoa.png

Finally the huge 1.3 Update is here

The mod also now contains EN_US localization this is shared across the whole SM group of mods and only one copy of SM_Industries is ever required .  Find the link for the SM_Industries Dictionary below the 1.3 download link below.     YOU DO NEED IT. Failure to not install the dictionary will result in part titles and part description being rendered as #autoloc xxxx , it's not a bug.    Due to the localization this mod is no longer backwardly compatible 

Special thanks to @gomker for the donkey work in creating methods to make localizing 300 parts feasible, and producing the SM_Industries localization dictionary      @XOC2008 for  tireless testing and tweaking, tuning ,   and all the test team for morale boosting  and generally keeping the wheels on the wagon, when i was ready to jump.  ( in short without these guys it would never have been)

SM MARINE For KSP 1.3

SM_Industries. Required download

18 minutes ago, william2002730 said:

Wait so where exactly are the instructions, I must have missed them.

Thank you so much!

On the first page in the edited OP as well as his July 3rd update where he made it clear that the localization was required. :)

4 hours ago, william2002730 said:

Sorry to ask again, but where do I put the SM_Industries.cfg file?

place the whole SM Industries folder into GameData, do not remove anything from it and do not place any other items within it. SM Industries contains the dictionary for 6 of my current mods and projects.

Next update will include custom SMM part category and SM Paint shop whole craft color switching in one click.  This will require that the mod is installed correctly . failure to follow installation instructions will now just not result in funny strings, many parts will simply not show up in editor

9 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@SpannerMonkey(smce) Why does the link "github source and dl" link to a repo called "HLAirships"?

That link related to AIrpark mentioned directly above it not SMM. AS the released SMM contains no code there is no source code.