[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

14 hours ago, Supercheese said:

Although in microgravity in orbit, why should the mass limits matter?

I imagine crush injuries in space would be a big issue, you might be able to move that massive block of lead slowly, but once you've got it moving, you'll still need the same amount of time to slow it down/stop it. if you don't notice a massive object is slowly getting closer till you're 'pinched' it could be quite possibly too late to stop it. 

On 8/11/2018 at 2:35 AM, Quoniam Kerman said:

I guess it still would be much easier t move something in space even if its heavy

It actually very depends. When you are on surface, there is a big difference between "up", "down" and "sides". There is no such difference in microgravity, but the basic physics laws still apply. If you're going to move a 5t satellite in space, you have to spend a considerable amount of efforts to accelerate it. What you may have seen in the videos for the Space Shuttle program is a bit different. They were giving a small acceleration to the things, allowing them to float out of the vessel. However, it would take minutes for the object to move at the enough distance. Not to mention, the staff was not required to decelerate the object as it would be needed if you were trying to attach something on the vessel's surface.

The current KIS schema is not perfect. Moreover, it's very far from being it. My long term idea is to fully refactor KIS to make it distinguishing surface vs orbit situations. In nutshell, on the surface you use the muscular force of the kerbals around, and on the orbit you spend EVA propellant to move the things.

Edited by IgorZ

49 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

The current KIS schema is not perfect. Moreover, it's very far from being it. My long term idea is to fully refactor KIS to make it distinguishing surface vs orbit situations. In nutshell, on the surface you use the muscular force of the kerbals around, and on the obrin you spend EVA propellant to move the things.

FWIW, I've always been a little surprised that KIS doesn't include any ModuleKISPickup parts.  There was some talk on the previous page about building a Canadarm with actuators, but really, just a static model with ModuleKISPickup would be a big help for orbital construction.

(The USI Konstruction mod provides some crane/claw/forklift parts that provide ModuleKISPickup, and they're very useful for surface construction.  Those parts do have movable joints, but I never use them; I just park my crane vehicle within ModuleKISPickup range of the thing I want to move.  But the Konstruction parts are a little awkward to use on a spacecraft in orbit.)

Edited by Wyzard

On 8/11/2018 at 4:20 PM, Burning Kan said:

indeed @Angel-125 made a realy nice one(but its little bit hard to find)

here is the link:https://github.com/Angel-125/KerbalActuators

have fun BK

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

12 hours ago, Wyzard said:

(The USI Konstruction mod provides some crane/claw/forklift parts that provide ModuleKISPickup, and they're very useful for surface construction.  Those parts do have movable joints, but I never use them; I just park my crane vehicle within ModuleKISPickup range of the thing I want to move.  But the Konstruction parts are a little awkward to use on a spacecraft in orbit.)

I wasn't very happy with USI construction parts. While the magnet is able to lift parts, they started rotating when I tried it on Kerbin. I'm not sore if there was another mod interfering, but I decided to use robotic arms instead. Maybe I was using them wrong?

5 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

I wasn't very happy with USI construction parts. While the magnet is able to lift parts, they started rotating when I tried it on Kerbin. I'm not sore if there was another mod interfering, but I decided to use robotic arms instead. Maybe I was using them wrong?

Dunno, I've never bothered with the magnets.  Just having the crane (or claw, forklift, etc.) nearby lets kerbals move heavy objects using KIS — it's implied that the konstruction part is helping, even though visually it's just sitting there.  (It works the same as having multiple kerbals near the part being grabbed; effectively you have a very strong kerbal who happens to look like a yellow crane.)

If I need to carry something a long distance, I use KIS to attach it onto my crane rover instead of trying to dangle it from a magnet.

1 hour ago, Wyzard said:

Dunno, I've never bothered with the magnets.  Just having the crane (or claw, forklift, etc.) nearby lets kerbals move heavy objects using KIS — it's implied that the konstruction part is helping, even though visually it's just sitting there.  (It works the same as having multiple kerbals near the part being grabbed; effectively you have a very strong kerbal who happens to look like a yellow crane.)

If I need to carry something a long distance, I use KIS to attach it onto my crane rover instead of trying to dangle it from a magnet.

I did not know that....

Do they have to be "IN" the crane/etc. like operating it? Or does the kerbal just have to stand there and the crane/etc just has to be parked nearby as well?

In either scenario, that's friggin cool. I just want to know which way causes that functionality....

47 minutes ago, JoE Smash said:

Do they have to be "IN" the crane/etc. like operating it? Or does the kerbal just have to stand there and the crane/etc just has to be parked nearby as well?

The kerbal has to be on EVA, so not in the vehicle.  (That's because a kerbal in a vessel doesn't really exist as an object in the world; they're just data attached to a spacecraft part.  I wish the vehicle itself could initiate a grab, though, so the kerbal could stay in the driver's seat.)

Park your crane rover near the thing you want to pick up (within the 2m KIS grab distance), then have the kerbal get out and use the 'G' key.

Edited by Wyzard

51 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

The kerbal has to be on EVA, so not in the vehicle.  (That's because a kerbal in a vessel doesn't really exist as an object in the world; they're just data attached to a spacecraft part.  I wish the vehicle itself could initiate a grab, though, so the kerbal could stay in the driver's seat.)

Park your crane rover near the thing you want to pick up (within the 2m KIS grab distance), then have the kerbal get out and use the 'G' key.

Gotcha, thanks....

I watched the video review, so I knew you could actually use the vehicles to do stuff, but it looked like a hassle to control the servos and everything.

It would be cool if the mod had like a gamepad configuration that worked with an xbox controller....or the flybywire controller mod.....

It's pretty awesome that they increase kerbal max lift weight by just being close by....

Edited by JoE Smash

3 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

I tried the pal arm once, couldn't figure out how to get it to do anything remotely what I wanted.

11 hours ago, se5a said:

pal arm

srry but whats a pal arm?

-----------------------------

for all interested in the last  canarm link from me (actuators)is a crane also, and the best both are easy to handle

very intuitiv/and very stable - thx angel125

15 hours ago, Wyzard said:

Just having the crane (or claw, forklift, etc.) nearby lets kerbals move heavy objects using KIS

thanks very good info

@Wyzard

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Lord_inter said:

There was a space dock that acted like a kerbal with a tool, was REALLY useful not having to rely on a kerbal and being able to build thing autonomously, it scaled up the weight and distance it could reach as it got larger

That sounds like a very useful part!  Trying to do anything large with spacewalking Kerbals is an exercise in frustration if it's even possible at all.

It's possible but means moving the part then kerbal and repeating but that becomes awkward.

I used to use it to make modular craft to go to duna etc so I could launch the payload, transfer it to a inter moon transport then transfer it to a lander on arrival.

You could also use it to make upgrades on space craft like upgrading probe cores, adding fuel and moving engines, was a very useful thing. 

3 hours ago, Lord_inter said:

There was a space dock that acted like a kerbal with a tool, was REALLY useful not having to rely on a kerbal and being able to build thing autonomously, it scaled up the weight and distance it could reach as it got larger

I'm surprised if such a thing could exist: I've looked at the KIS code and it only checks for the grab key when the active vessel is an EVA kerbal.  (Or maybe it was possible in an older version of the mod?)

It doesn't look like it should be too difficult to make it work for non-kerbals, and I've thought about taking a shot at it, and submitting a pull request if I can get it to work.  But I haven't actually tried it, and there may be subtle complications that would make it impractical.

(BTW, the grab and tool stuff is actually done by KIS, not KAS, so this is the wrong thread to be discussing it.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had an issue: after unplugging this craft (screen 1) game goes crazy.
1)camera locks and i cant turn it with my mouse (screen 2)
2)craft dissapears
3)if i try to switch to the craft by "]" button i see this (screen 3)
4) and this in map view (screen 4)
5)also i got an achivement for doing athmospheric (?!) flight above sun. Once even got a sun landing 0_O.
6)after "return to launch" i see graphics glitches. it fixes only after game restart (screen 5)
With other crafts i tested everything was fine so i think its something with BDArmory or AirplanePlus parts.

Can someone help me?
C8EjB0O.jpgVmHbMAr.jpgIM3k3ST.jpg5yvaeWB.jpg17RQShC.jpg

Edited by Acid_Burn9
added screen 5

My craft was disappearing as well - I undocked from the winch GUI, the game startet loading as if I had pressed F5 or something, then after a long time loading the craft was gone. I also had Kerbin disappear sometimes, but not anymore, so these seem to be different issues. I don't have BDArmory or AirplanePlus installed. Wasn't able to reproduce it though.

5 hours ago, Acid_Burn9 said:

I used last version. 0.6.4 i believe. never heard about 1.0 beta. u have link?

UPD: found it. tested it. instead of going crazy game just crashes after undocking :/

It seems there is a mods conflict. It's really hard to crash the game from a third party mod, but there a few ways how to do it. One of them is an infinite recursion in the system callbacks. Another one is memory exhausting. Please, try reproducing the issue using the old KAS (0.6.*) and share the log.

Edited by IgorZ

28 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

It seems there is a mods conflict. It's really hard to crash the game from a third party mod, but ther a few ways how to do it. One of them an infinite recursion in the system callbacks. Another one is memory exhausting. Plse, try reproducing the issue using the old KAS (0.6.*) and share the log.

full log here: https://ufile.io/cqyaj
i read it myself and i think u are looking for this:

[LOG 23:18:23.847] Detach(Base) Attach mode is Docked:True,Coupled:False,FixedJoint:False,StaticJoint:False
[LOG 23:18:23.847] Detach(Base) Attach type is : Docked
[LOG 23:18:23.847] Detach(Base) Undocking CC-R2 Connector Port from Безымянный аппарат
[LOG 23:18:23.867] OnSave(Core) Docked joint detected, saving info...
[LOG 23:18:24.005] SetHeadToPhysic(Winch) - Create physical object
[LOG 23:18:24.005] SetHeadToPhysic(Winch) - KASModulePhysicChild do not exist, adding it...
[LOG 23:18:24.005] StartPhysics(PhysicChild)
[LOG 23:18:24.005] Set head position to : (0.0, -0.2, 0.0) | Rotation : (-0.7, 0.0, 0.0, 0.7)
[LOG 23:18:24.005] Set head position to : (0.0, 0.0, 0.0) | Rotation : (0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0)
[LOG 23:18:24.046] recalculating orbit for falconcockpit (TJ-16U): Kerbin ( Update mode TRACK_Phys )
rPos: [-477294.261993436, -503.657032952627, 363696.034820501]   rVel: [-105.88810824253, 0.000559268621105587, -139.283196278897] |174.963139641355|
[LOG 23:18:24.046] recalculated orbit for falconcockpit (TJ-16U): Sun ( UT: 192954010.932877 )
rPos: [NaN, NaN, NaN]   rVel: [NaN, NaN, NaN] |NaN|
Delta: [NaN, NaN, NaN] / [NaN, NaN, NaN]

looks like incompatibility with MK22 Cockpits addon to the BDA

Edited by Acid_Burn9
added log part as a code

On 10/11/2018 at 1:31 PM, Acid_Burn9 said:

full log here: https://ufile.io/cqyaj
i read it myself and i think u are looking for this:

[LOG 23:18:23.847] Detach(Base) Attach mode is Docked:True,Coupled:False,FixedJoint:False,StaticJoint:False
[LOG 23:18:23.847] Detach(Base) Attach type is : Docked
[LOG 23:18:23.847] Detach(Base) Undocking CC-R2 Connector Port from Безымянный аппарат
[LOG 23:18:23.867] OnSave(Core) Docked joint detected, saving info...
[LOG 23:18:24.005] SetHeadToPhysic(Winch) - Create physical object
[LOG 23:18:24.005] SetHeadToPhysic(Winch) - KASModulePhysicChild do not exist, adding it...
[LOG 23:18:24.005] StartPhysics(PhysicChild)
[LOG 23:18:24.005] Set head position to : (0.0, -0.2, 0.0) | Rotation : (-0.7, 0.0, 0.0, 0.7)
[LOG 23:18:24.005] Set head position to : (0.0, 0.0, 0.0) | Rotation : (0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0)
[LOG 23:18:24.046] recalculating orbit for falconcockpit (TJ-16U): Kerbin ( Update mode TRACK_Phys )
rPos: [-477294.261993436, -503.657032952627, 363696.034820501]   rVel: [-105.88810824253, 0.000559268621105587, -139.283196278897] |174.963139641355|
[LOG 23:18:24.046] recalculated orbit for falconcockpit (TJ-16U): Sun ( UT: 192954010.932877 )
rPos: [NaN, NaN, NaN]   rVel: [NaN, NaN, NaN] |NaN|
Delta: [NaN, NaN, NaN] / [NaN, NaN, NaN]

looks like incompatibility with MK22 Cockpits addon to the BDA

Well, it's interesting. Do you mind reproducing this issue on a pristine game + the mod that causes it? Obviously, there is one specific mod that's conflicting.

Is anyone else unable to equip tools after the latest 1.4.5 ksp update? I can right click the tool and Click the equip button but still cannot attach anything because "no tool is equipped"

PS: according to CKAN both kas and kis are updated to the most recent version. I'm running some other mods thus wanting to know if it is just me or a more general problem.

Edited by IREinc