[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

First of all, am loving this mod! It adds some need for EVAs and it gives me the opportunities to add those parts I forgot to add in the VAB.

Now, I have an observation to make, where I wonder if this has occured to anyone else: I am building this giant space station and I wanted to rigidify some modules with KAS struts ("struts to go"). I added the strut bases in the VAB and once in orbit, I had Valentina go EVA and link the strut bases. So far so good. Val goes back into the station and BAAAAM! Log spam de luxe. I got hundreds of NullRefs pertaining to FAR. Apparently it was trying to revoxel (if that is a word) the station and failing. As soon as I ripped the KAS struts out again (which was painful due to six or so FPS instead of 20 FPS I get normally), the log spam seized.

Anyone experienced this as well? Since this is related to FAR as well, I am linking this in that thread as well.

Thanks for any insight!

4 minutes ago, StarStreak2109 said:

First of all, am loving this mod! It adds some need for EVAs and it gives me the opportunities to add those parts I forgot to add in the VAB.

Now, I have an observation to make, where I wonder if this has occured to anyone else: I am building this giant space station and I wanted to rigidify some modules with KAS struts ("struts to go"). I added the strut bases in the VAB and once in orbit, I had Valentina go EVA and link the strut bases. So far so good. Val goes back into the station and BAAAAM! Log spam de luxe. I got hundreds of NullRefs pertaining to FAR. Apparently it was trying to revoxel (if that is a word) the station and failing. As soon as I ripped the KAS struts out again (which was painful due to six or so FPS instead of 20 FPS I get normally), the log spam seized.

Anyone experienced this as well? Since this is related to FAR as well, I am linking this in that thread as well.

Thanks for any insight!

not using FAR here .. try using the connector ports (they can be linked too :D)

Edited by LatiMacciato
cant read >.<

Just now, LatiMacciato said:

hmm .. say did you mean portable struts by KIS/KAS (unsure wich one gives them) or the regular?

if you mean the stock ones, that kinda stuff happened me before too (even without FAR) .. try using the portable ones .. or the connector ports (they can be linked :D)

Yeah, I mean the yellow-ish portable KAS struts, which can be linked by EVA.

3 minutes ago, StarStreak2109 said:

Yeah, I mean the yellow-ish portable KAS struts, which can be linked by EVA.

the conn ports are holding more reliable, as far my experience goes .. oh and make sure to hit F5 (quicksave) at every very spot :D

oh and .. im trying to keep the parts count after all not going over 300-500 parts .. having 9-15 FPS regular, but its ok .. i can live with that

Edited by LatiMacciato

24 minutes ago, StarStreak2109 said:

Thanks for any insight!

You report it to KAS thread but my gut tells me that you were actually using KIS before hitting the issue (i.e. you were attaching/detaching/moving parts on the station which is not KAS responsibility). Basing on this I'd suggest you got hit by this bug. You will find a workaround suggestion inside the bug description.

Just wanted to say thanks for this mod (and KIS).  I'm new to KAS and had the opportunity to use it for the first time during a maintenance mission to add parts to a vessel I launched without sufficient batteries (I swear they were there in the VAB but I must have revised the rocket before launch and lost the batteries rebuilding the upper stage).  Flew a "repair" crew up to orbit and got an engineer to attach four shiny, new batteries to the probe before it leaves Kerbin orbit.

Just so satisfying that I could do this in-game.

Hello! I seem to remember a long time ago that there was a way, using KAS, to tether Kerbonauts to spacecraft. Is that still possible, and if so, how the heck do I do it? :-) Two of my last three EVA attempts have had to be quick loaded from getting lost in space. I'd love to have some kind of safety measure until I get the hang of it. :-)

4 hours ago, Fobok said:

Hello! I seem to remember a long time ago that there was a way, using KAS, to tether Kerbonauts to spacecraft. Is that still possible, and if so, how the heck do I do it? :-) Two of my last three EVA attempts have had to be quick loaded from getting lost in space. I'd love to have some kind of safety measure until I get the hang of it. :-)

It was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Doesn't work anymore :( I keep in mind the tether part but for now it's not the main focus.

3 minutes ago, Fobok said:

Ah, oh well. I guess quicksave will continue to be my friend for the foreseeable future. Thanks!

Ladder is another your friend. Not the best, though.

Hello could someone help me with these issues?

I've looked at wiki and FAQ pages but... anyways...

I got two problems,

1- When I retract a cable with a harpoon at the end, it keeps retracting and spins endlessly and the harpoon doesn't sit back to its place.
2- Do the cables have a maximum strength? cause I try to pull a big vessel with the harpoons but they just come off...

Am I doing something wrong or am I missing a step?

4 hours ago, Smart Parts Wanter said:

1- When I retract a cable with a harpoon at the end, it keeps retracting and spins endlessly and the harpoon doesn't sit back to its place.

We need screenshots (or videos). And the logs (KSP.log).

5 hours ago, Smart Parts Wanter said:

2- Do the cables have a maximum strength? cause I try to pull a big vessel with the harpoons but they just come off...

Cable has strength of 1,000 which is roughly 50 kilo-newtons. It's many times more than a strength of KSP joint. E.g. harpoons have joint strength of 30. Consider connecting your vessel via a cPort, it has much greater strength (less than 1,000, though).

1 minute ago, Murican_Jeb said:

That is a 1.1.2 Version...

nope

1.2.12 (June 21st, 2016)

• [Fix] #109: Sandbox mode = no repairskill for non-badass kerbals.
  • [Fix] #161: KSP 1.1.3: Missing method exception.

https://github.com/KospY/KIS/releases can be helpful too?

Edited by LatiMacciato

2 minutes ago, LatiMacciato said:

np, btw i laughed hard when i saw your sig :D

Well the link with the sig doesn't really work because I closed it. I'm gonna change the sig but make it more funny :wink:

Edited by Murican_Jeb

53 minutes ago, Benji13 said:

So let's say I only want to attach/detach struts, pipes and batteries while on EVA, do I only need KAS or do I need KIS as well?

depends on what you mean by "attach/detach".  If you want to attache pipe ends or strut ends in the VAB and connect them together  then you just need KAS.  If you want to be able to attach/detach anything from a ship etc on EVA that is all KIS.  KAS at this point is just a parts pack for the pipes, struts etc.