[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

8 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Do you see other landers in the tracking station? If yes then I don't have any more ideas. If no then what you need is enabling filter for the landers :) Btw, to change the type you need to use "info" button on the right, not the "rename" context menu. Cannot give you more details since I don't have the game installed on the laptop. Maybe someone else can provide a screenshot of how to change the type?

And a side note, whatever caused this problem it was definitely not KAS or KIS :wink:

I can definitely see other landers, thanks for the help anyway! Hopefully somebody knows something that could help me out

25 minutes ago, Something_Smith said:

I renamed the asteroid but it didnt give me an option to change the ship type, it defaulted to lander though and i still cannot select fly from the tracking station, i have a manned pod and a probe attached to it

When you rename a craft underneath the name box there are a set of icons of what sort of ship it is.  Click the right one.

7 minutes ago, Something_Smith said:

I can definitely see other landers, thanks for the help anyway! Hopefully somebody knows something that could help me out

Can you post a screenshot form the tracking station with all filters disabled except the lander and the asteroid?

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:07 PM, ExplorerKlatt said:

Which tool are you using?

Wrench.

And I noticed another thing about manoeuvres... if I detach, say, a satellite (i.e. has probe core) using the wrench, only the craft with the original root element retains the planed nodes. I'm doing it manually since I've not researched the mini separators yet, so I can't say for sure if it's the default KSP behaviour when you trigger stages as well, or an oversight in KAS, but it would be nice to have these copied over to both crafts either way.

37 minutes ago, ninjawafflesofdoom said:

Wrench.

You need a powered screw driver to attach parts to surface. Wrench can only deal with stack nodes.

38 minutes ago, ninjawafflesofdoom said:

And I noticed another thing about manoeuvres... if I detach, say, a satellite (i.e. has probe core) using the wrench, only the craft with the original root element retains the pl

Maneuver nodes belong to the source vessel (the one that has the root part). When you detach parts you create a new vessel, and it's a big question if the nodes need to be copied. Why do you detach the parts if they need to fly following the same flight plan? Anyways, KIS doesn't deal with the nodes.

1 hour ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

I think you got that backwards @IgorZ  

Electric screwdriver does nodes. Wrench is surface attach only. 

Yeah, you're right. Confused these two.

32 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Kinda sure Igor would know maybe better than you? :P

This time it was not the case :)

On 19.04.2017 at 1:32 PM, ninjawafflesofdoom said:

How can do non-surface attachment in the field? Whenever I try, it just says that node can't be used for surface attach

Could you, please, give a screenshot for what you're trying to do and what error do you get?

Edited by IgorZ

I'm fairly new to this mod but, is there a way to use cranes/wenches to get >1t parts into place and then use scaffolds to get a kerbal in position to weld it in place? I am hoping to manually build vehicles on other planets part by part. Rather than Konstruction's option to pre-build the part and pack/unpack it...

Also, does lowered gravity increase the weight a kerbal can move? (ie. can a kerbol lift >1t on the Mun?)

5 hours ago, Atracious said:

I'm fairly new to this mod but, is there a way to use cranes/wenches to get >1t parts into place and then use scaffolds to get a kerbal in position to weld it in place? I am hoping to manually build vehicles on other planets part by part. Rather than Konstruction's option to pre-build the part and pack/unpack it...

Also, does lowered gravity increase the weight a kerbal can move? (ie. can a kerbol lift >1t on the Mun?)

For the former: Yes - Konstruction has cranes that can help you do that.  (Note that for the weld into place you still need to have enough carrying capacity to pick up and place the part - the Konstruction cranes and graspers also count as carrying capacity.  It also helps to have multiple Kerbals in place.)

Second: No.  (This is actually one of those 'wait, you can't do that in real life?' situations: You'd think lower gravity means you can lift more, right?  Well, you can *support* more mass, but actually lifting/maneuvering it often actually is limited by inertia, not weight - and your inertia hasn't changed, because it's directly tied to mass.  So you can move slightly more weight on the Moon than you can on Earth - but not as much as you'd think.)

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

For the former: Yes - Konstruction has cranes that can help you do that.  (Note that for the weld into place you still need to have enough carrying capacity to pick up and place the part - the Konstruction cranes and graspers also count as carrying capacity.  It also helps to have multiple Kerbals in place.)

Other than Konstruction, how does one increase carrying capacity? I was actually just thinking of the same thing for some upcoming builds I have in mind. The issue when trying to build with large items has always been the kerbal's ability to move heavy said items. But up to this pt I havent yet played around with finding a way around this. 

6 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Other than Konstruction, how does one increase carrying capacity? I was actually just thinking of the same thing for some upcoming builds I have in mind. The issue when trying to build with large items has always been the kerbal's ability to move heavy said items. But up to this pt I havent yet played around with finding a way around this. 

The only way I know of really is to have more Kerbals - each Kerbal within reach will help carry.  It's a fairly simple MM patch to add carrying capacity in to new parts, but there aren't many parts that make use of it.  Konstruction's parts do (I wrote the patch...) and I think Orbital Utility Vehicle has some that do.

Of course you can always just go in and change the settings in this mod to something higher as well.  But I've built fairly large bases using just Kerbals on the ground, using the standard settings.

Note there is another limiter to keep in mind, when you start building large things: Distance to the center of the part.  A Kerbal can only pick something up if they're close to the part, and that distance is measured from the *center* of the part, not the surface.  When you start dealing with 3.75m and larger parts, this is often the limiting factor in what you can actually pick up.

8 hours ago, Atracious said:

In addition to what others have said about moving the parts (note:  I haven't tried that part of it yet) you can use the Time Control mod to get around the need for scaffolding.  (My thought on it:  You never heard of a rope??)  Fall past the spot, freeze time, connect your parts.  Note that the part will not actually connect until you take time out of freeze.

I just had a thought about some of the headaches with this mod and how to make it more friendly.

There have been posts suggesting increasing the range limit in order to make things easier and to overcome size problems with large parts.  (While I've never tried it my impression is that it would be impossible to handle the largest of the SpaceY components with it--you would have to be inside them to be close enough.)

Having additional Kerbals in the vicinity allows you to handle more mass.  How about also making more Kerbals in the vicinity increase the range?  (And this would also apply to the Kerbals themselves--if you have 7 more Kerbals within 10m of yourself you can lift an 8 ton object anywhere within 10m.)

Second, related, a new EVA item: block and tackle.  If an engineer equips that they can move say 5t instead of 1t.  Or perhaps 2^engineer level tons.

On 4/24/2017 at 4:29 PM, Calvin_Maclure said:

GameData\KIS\settings.cfg, change "grabMaxMass" inside "EvaPickup" from 1 to whatever you want.  I change "maxDistance" too.

One Kerbal should totally be able to move 300 tons at 300 m, right?  He's got long arms.

If you want to do it the "right" way, then just have more Kerbals within range.  It's 1 ton per Kerbal, so if you have 5 Kerbals within range of the part, you can pick up a 5 ton part.

(If you change grabMaxMass to be 300, and then have 5 Kerbals, it's 5 x 300 = 1500 tons, woo!)

On 4/24/2017 at 6:29 AM, Calvin_Maclure said:

Many people who build things in space via KIS/KAS make the same mistake: they try to manipulate the parts with the fuel. The dry mass of the most of the L parts is below 5t.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Avery616 said:

I got abit of a glitch where i cant use the escape key to bring up the menu. This seems to happens after i use the fuel line system from KAS.

It sounds like a mods conflict issue. We need the logs to better investigate the issue.

I've spent hours researching an 'interesting' problem where the CC-R2 connector only shows up in Sandbox mode.

If you unlocked the CC-R2 from the Tech tree, could you please tell me which node it's in?  I can't get this part into my career game, or find it in the tech tree, regardless of whether I start a new career and whether I delete all mods besides KIS/KAS

58 minutes ago, kerbetualmotion said:

I've spent hours researching an 'interesting' problem where the CC-R2 connector only shows up in Sandbox mode.

could you please tell me which node it's in?  I can't get this part into my career game, or find it in the tech tree,

It should be in Adv. Fuel Systems (advFuelSystems), the icon shows up as a gas pump.

Here it is in a science game I just started to verify:
kasccr2.png

4 minutes ago, Yoshidude said:

Is it possible to attach a part (say a parachute, or a thruster) to a kerbal?

Not by using KAS. It's possible to modify a part configuration so that it could be equipped via KIS. However, in the most cases the physics acts crazy. The parachutes are more or less usable, but highly unlikely you'll be able to stabilize the flight with an externally attached thruster.

Edited by IgorZ