[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

The restriction of 20 units of resource/second is reasonable for a single spool... but could it be a stackable flow rate? I.E., using two hoses raises the rate to 40u/second, or allows the flow of two resources at once?

It would be kind of complicated to sync the work of multiple stations. Why not to simply start the transfer from the both stations? The effect will be exactly the same - you'll refuel twice faster. In the following version of KAS (planned till the end of month), the time acceleration will be correctly handled by RTS.

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

It would be kind of complicated to sync the work of multiple stations. Why not to simply start the transfer from the both stations? The effect will be exactly the same - you'll refuel twice faster. In the following version of KAS (planned till the end of month), the time acceleration will be correctly handled by RTS.

Wait... I thought it was already running both stations?

This changes everything.

*dashes off to the launchpad*

EDIT: Okay, that is officially amazing. Please rescind my previous complaints.

Edited by MaverickSawyer

Hey Igor. It's me from the YouTube video comment section. I have finally taken the time to get KAS installed alone on KSP 1.5.1, to test the bug of vehicles exploding when attached together with the tow bar. I have a video of the behavior I will include, along with a copy of my savegame file. As well as the log file. In the save game, there is a quicksave called quick 1. You can load that, and go back to the moment just before attempting to attach the vehicles. Hopefully this helps you identify this behavior. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fXiOznpVz_XjUNRRdr3AwAokwFUhZ9ne?usp=sharing

2 hours ago, RoyCreditor said:

Hey Igor. It's me from the YouTube video comment section. I have finally taken the time to get KAS installed alone on KSP 1.5.1, to test the bug of vehicles exploding when attached together with the tow bar. I have a video of the behavior I will include, along with a copy of my savegame file. As well as the log file. In the save game, there is a quicksave called quick 1. You can load that, and go back to the moment just before attempting to attach the vehicles. Hopefully this helps you identify this behavior. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fXiOznpVz_XjUNRRdr3AwAokwFUhZ9ne?usp=sharing

Thanks a lot! I've checked the logs and it's physics that destroy the joint. Looks like I've screwed the joint length setting in the latest release. A bug is created.

On 1/8/2019 at 5:48 AM, IgorZ said:

KIS is the mod that allows attaching mew parts. KAS can only connect two vessels, given the needed parts are already in place. When you use KIS and a screwdriver, you need to press H or X to activate the attach function, otherwise the part will be just dropped nearby the target.

My wording is poor I do mean the KIS not the KAS

With KSP 1.6 I am using KIS 1.16.6876.37464 but still I am not able to attach using the H or X function.

Also I am not able to setup the CH-1 cable hook to the PCB-1 Portable Cable bracing or the W-50 Winch. Can you have a video of this please

What I would also like to do is to use the winch and harpoon to "snag" an item in space so I can attach it with better Center of Mass to my craft. Is this a possibility and if so can anyone do a clip showing all the steps please

On 1/12/2019 at 10:02 AM, IanCanberra said:

With KSP 1.6 I am using KIS 1.16.6876.37464 but still I am not able to attach using the H or X function.

Also I am not able to setup the CH-1 cable hook to the PCB-1 Portable Cable bracing or the W-50 Winch. Can you have a video of this please

What I would also like to do is to use the winch and harpoon to "snag" an item in space so I can attach it with better Center of Mass to my craft. Is this a possibility and if so can anyone do a clip showing all the steps please

I have uploaded a utube to show my problems

Idea : synchronized winches. When dealing with bulky loads, it may be needed to perform winching operations from multiple points. But only simple start/stop/speed synchronization toggle from winch UI. Anything more complicated and it will turn into Infernal Robotics (which is, sadly, badly out of date). It may be possible to make a auto-sync function that allows player to manipulate loads by having all synced winches working as one (there is YT video about it, can't remember the link).

In simpler version (one i recommend implementing, if this idea is accepted) player is responsible for positioning of winches. Lots of trial and error, but that's the name of the game. :)

Edited by fatcargo

A question about reintegrating payloads into craft's body/frame : is there a separate plugin from other addon or a functionality within KAS to dock/attach part to craft as it if was added in VAB/SPH, WITHOUT Engineer on EVA ? Something like weldable ports from Konstruction, but separable again ?

Edited by fatcargo

On 1/12/2019 at 12:02 AM, IanCanberra said:

8 hours ago, IanCanberra said:

I have uploaded a utube to show my problems

I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to achieve. The W-50 Winch is not compatible with the CH-1, only with the JS-1, which seems to work in your video. As for KIS: are you able to attach other parts using H? If not, you should ask in the KIS thread.

Not sure if this falls into 'expected behavior' or if it's something that isn't in scope of KAS?

I've attached pylons and ladders to the side of the VAB to create my own ladder. I got the idea trying to set up a manual dish at some of the DSN dishes and some of them aren't easily accessible with a Kerbal. Also the small area under the DSN dish made me learn that I suck at both design AND piloting VTOL craft.

I've found that if the extended ladder 'clips' into a lower pylon it's not attached to after reloading the scene where this occurs, KSP sees this as two different vehicles occupying the same space (at least I think this is what's happening) and forces them to violently separate with explosions. As KAS allows the placement in the flight scene, is there an option to specify that an extended ladder can't be placed if it's extended position clips into something? Or would this be too much of an edge case?

4 hours ago, dlrk said:

I see that KIS 1.6 compatibility is still in the works, but is KAS compatible?

I didn't encounter any problems so far.

28 minutes ago, wile1411 said:

Not sure if this falls into 'expected behavior' or if it's something that isn't in scope of KAS?

I've attached pylons and ladders to the side of the VAB to create my own ladder. I got the idea trying to set up a manual dish at some of the DSN dishes and some of them aren't easily accessible with a Kerbal. Also the small area under the DSN dish made me learn that I suck at both design AND piloting VTOL craft.

I've found that if the extended ladder 'clips' into a lower pylon it's not attached to after reloading the scene where this occurs, KSP sees this as two different vehicles occupying the same space (at least I think this is what's happening) and forces them to violently separate with explosions. As KAS allows the placement in the flight scene, is there an option to specify that an extended ladder can't be placed if it's extended position clips into something? Or would this be too much of an edge case?

I guess your problem is with KIS, not KAS. It used to confuse me as well, but KIS is responsible for anything you use the screwdriver for. KAS is only for connecting stuff with the included parts.

2 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

I didn't encounter any problems so far.

I guess your problem is with KIS, not KAS. It used to confuse me as well, but KIS is responsible for anything you use the screwdriver for. KAS is only for connecting stuff with the included parts.

Agh! Sorry! Probably not the first time I've done that.

1 hour ago, Tonka Crash said:

You've been a member long enough to know better

I hadn't seen that announcement. Been out of the loop for a while.

I meant no harm, it's just that with 1.6, they've finally fixed the issues that have kept me from playing for like a year and a half....and i'm kinda eager to get back into KSP.

Okay, bit of a technical question...

is there any reason why the winches CAN'T have the resource transfer system? Because now that said system is around...

0qBFsT7.png

Stuff like this just got a whole lot more practical if I can run fuel through the winch and into that drogue, which is undocked from the winch head.

Hey guys

just started a new career game going to explore OPM. I guess most of it will be done with probes an landers so I wondered if the JS-1 / JS-2 telescopic struts could be "misused" to pack sensor either in more confined places or make good looking probes smaller in general. Is there a way to mage them attachable on both ends in the VAB? Maybe some kind of MM patch or .cfg tweak would highly be appreciated, if at hand. :)

On 1/21/2019 at 2:26 AM, argentrolf said:

so is the 1.5.9 version workable in 1.6 or should i just roll back for now?

Apparently just about anything (with only a few exceptions) which works in KSP 1.5 will work in KSP 1.6, though apparently there is also an update for KAS planned soon.

On 1/13/2019 at 10:44 AM, fatcargo said:

Idea : synchronized winches.

Do winch functions work with action groups? If so, that may be an option for synchronizing them. I do not know whether they do or not though.

Sorry guys and gals, I was a bit behind this thread in favor of KIS. Multitasking is not exactly my strongest ability :) Anyways. Let's get started.

On 1/11/2019 at 3:02 PM, IanCanberra said:

Making a good video tutorial for all of the KIS & KAS parts is my bright dream! I've even set it as a target in my Patreon account, assuming there can be enough people who need it. However, the sad truth is: the interest to this (very time consuming) feature is negligible. So, my answer to you is, unfortunately, no. The majority of the mod fans need functionality, they don't bother abou tutorial videos. If by a chance you make your own tutorial video, please let me know :) I will gladly add it to this thread.

On 1/13/2019 at 3:55 AM, _TG_ said:

Action group support will give you this once it's done. Old KAS has it, and I use it for cranes in payload reintegration. 4 winches moving in sync looks really nice.

I hate to say it, but the new KAS doesn't support action groups yet :(  There is a pending feature request, though.

On 1/13/2019 at 4:08 AM, fatcargo said:

A question about reintegrating payloads into craft's body/frame : is there a separate plugin from other addon or a functionality within KAS to dock/attach part to craft as it if was added in VAB/SPH, WITHOUT Engineer on EVA ?

I cannot say for the other modders. As of me (KAS), there is no way to attach anything in VAB/SPH. If I start explaining "why", it would take couple of pages. In nutshell, it's very complicated to make it stable. At this moment of time, KAS is only designed to be used by an EVA kerbal in the flight. Sorry, you cannot do anything in the editor.

On 1/14/2019 at 12:24 PM, Numberyellow said:

How soon until a 1.6 update?

Rest assured, the new version of KAS will go live at time: as soon as possible. I'm working to make it possible.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:06 PM, MaverickSawyer said:

is there any reason why the winches CAN'T have the resource transfer system? Because now that said system is around...

There was a reason. I assumed that a steel cable is not exactly a good media to transfer resources. I've completely missed your use-case, though. And to fix it, I'm ready to hear any ideas. Maybe we can allow RTS to behave the same way as winch does? Like, you deploy the RTS head and allow it to fly. What I definitely don't like, is transferring resources over a steel cable. I spent 6 years of my life, learning physics!

On 1/18/2019 at 4:22 AM, SchrottBot said:

I guess most of it will be done with probes an landers so I wondered if the JS-1 / JS-2 telescopic struts could be "misused" to pack sensor either in more confined places or make good looking probes smaller in general.

I'd be appreciated if you give examples. Show me what are you're trying to make. The "TJ" (not "JS") parts are usual parts from the editor perspective. I see no reason why you cannot use them as a regular part. Even if you're going to "misuse" them.

On 1/18/2019 at 4:22 AM, SchrottBot said:

Is there a way to make them attachable on both ends in the VAB?

Alas, no :)  And I cannot express how I am sad about it. I've spent several hours of my life, trying to make it possible. And I've gave up. It doesn't mean it's impossible at all! It only means, that it will be very complicated, and at this moment it's not feasible.

On 1/20/2019 at 6:26 PM, argentrolf said:

so is the 1.5.9 version workable in 1.6 or should i just roll back for now?

As of now, there are no reports that would say otherwise. So, yes, use KAS from 1.5.* and ignore the warning. If you're bothered by the warning, remove "MiniAVC.dll" file from the KAS folder.

Edited by IgorZ