[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

Just now, Messernacht said:

I know I should likely remember this. Maybe I should be waiting for the coffee to kick in, but...I can't for the life of me remember how to add these extended struts. Should just need to copy the text and drop it into the file, right?

Just create a .cfg file somewhere under GameData. On my computer it's stashed in GameData\ZZZ_Personal_Patches\Mod_Patches\KIS-KAS.cfg

I cannot grab the connector. (Line off the winch). It just says "Grab (key y)" when right clicked. What does that mean? please help

Holding Y brings up re-dock vessel. Just says "No docking vessel found"

EDIT: Needed to update KAS. How do you guys keep your mods up to date?

Edited by Sunny203

6 hours ago, Sunny203 said:

I cannot grab the connector. (Line off the winch). It just says "Grab (key y)" when right clicked. What does that mean? please help

It tells you literally that: press the "Y" key. Don't hold it, just press (which means "press and release"). When the connector is dropped on the ground, you need wolk over it until the "Grab" message is shown. When the connector is attached or locked to the [part, you can grab it via the context menu.

3 minutes ago, facther said:

什么是PM?LOL

"Private message".

BTW, by the rules of this forum, all the conversations should be in English. I can use translator when needed, but rules are rules.

5 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

"Private message".

BTW, by the rules of this forum, all the conversations should be in English. I can use translator when needed, but rules are rules.

Oh, sorry, I did use the translation, but I seem to have copied it incorrectly.

I can't send you a Private message because I'm a Newbie.

• 2 weeks later...

I am finally reaching the point in my 1.7.1, 1.7.2, and now 1.7.3 Breaking Ground save where I'm going to need to use KAS.  Looking through recent posts, I see that KAS1.4 is good to go with KSP1.7.2. (Huzzah!)

So, what's the word (if any, it's still early days) for 1.7.3?  That is primarily a bug-fix update (except for propellers, which I have no immediate plans to use), so I would not EXPECT any problems.  But KSP has surprised us in the past.

Sure, I can fire up a sandbox save and test it myself.  But I figure others have already done this, and I might as well see if there's already a consensus that 1.7.3 didn't break anything (or conversely that there are serious known issues using KAS1.4 with KSP1.7.3).

11 minutes ago, Neil Kerman said:

I'm experiencing some issues with the J-S1 connection port where I'm unable to grab the connection and connect it to another port. I'm using KSP 1.7.3 with the newest versions of the DLCs and the mods listed in this spreadsheet

If you're trying to connect two JS-1 ports together, then that's your problem. In the new KAS JS-1 part can only be a target of the link. The source must be something different, e.g. a winch or any of TJ parts.

I'm having a problem with this mod. i haven't played in a while, i started back with the breaking ground expansion. since i reinstalled everything, i can't find any of the parts associated with this. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, updated, and i'm just not sure what i'm missing. Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Tophet

Will there be something to replace the old hooks and grapples? They were very useful for building cranes, or gripping things and I don't know of any other mod which provides this, which was such a key feature of this mod. They were how it started, and have lead to all manner of amazing creations over the years.

Also, those new pipes seem way to short for bases, and for all the crazy uses everyone came up with. 

If it still works, I think I'll be downloading an older version until the new one is up to scratch.

Update:

The old version is working fine??

KVSniys.png

I don't understand the reason for losing important features in the latest one, but I hope you restore them soon.

Edited by Tw1

2 hours ago, Tw1 said:

I don't understand the reason for losing important features in the latest one, but I hope you restore them soon.

I think the reason KAS was completely redone was realism. In old KAS, you could create pipes and struts out of nowhere, so it was remade to make things a little bit more plausible.

I'm not sure why the grappler was removed, though. I don't think it broke any laws of physics that much. @IgorZ could you provide any insight into the exact motive (I'm making it sound like a murder :P) for the KAS 1.0 complete re-do?

At least bring back the magnet to grab debris, and the grapple for attaching to the ground. All the other parts were basically redundant, but KAS isn't KAS without those. 

Edited by Tw1

5 hours ago, Tw1 said:

Will there be something to replace the old hooks and grapples?

New hooks and grapples are on the todo list for KAS, no ETA. Development is whenever IgorZ finds the will and time to implement them.

5 hours ago, Tw1 said:

Also, those new pipes seem way to short for bases, and for all the crazy uses everyone came up with. 

And a lot of those crazy uses weren't realistic. One of the ground rules for KAS 1.0+ is to keep it realistic. I posted some configs for longer (5m) connections in this post. The old pipes and struts were very cheaty, creating connections out of thin air. There was no mass or volume representing the material that would make up the pipe or strut. The new struts are an object that has both mass and volume to represent the connection. Since it's made of telescoping sections it has a much more limited length.

5 hours ago, Tw1 said:

The old version is working fine??

It's hard to tell what you have in that picture. Have you done a comprehensive test of every part? There are numerous posts in this thread of people complaining that some of the parts are broken. Since they are not being supported, they will not be fixed.

As KSP continues to evolve more parts will break until nothing from Legacy KAS works. Continuing to rely on them is playing Russian Roulette, eventually you will be screwed. My advice is to forget about them and learn to live with the limitations of the new system.

The other problem I used to see frequently, less now that the Legacy parts were deleted, is people confusing KAS parts. Legacy KAS parts only work with Legacy parts, and new only with new. Even people aware of this would show up complaining their winch can't connect to a port, only to realize they were mixing parts from the different generations.

When I found out the old KAS was being deprecated, that was all I needed to know to completely drop it a year ago. I also deleted the parts from my game while the Legacy parts were being distributed with KAS.

5 hours ago, Tw1 said:

There were a few reasons KAS was rewritten. IgorZ had inherited KAS from the original creator and the license was more restrictive which IgorZ could not change since he did not create KAS. The current version of KAS is public domain. If IgorZ gets hit by a bus or just decides he's done with KSP, anyone can takeover KAS no permission needed. 

If you want grapples, you can go implement them and there is legally nothing stopping you from coming out with your own branch of KAS. IgorZ does take PR requests on github, just make sure to meet his coding standards.

My understanding is the old code was also somewhat difficult to work with and keeping it working or implementing new features was difficult.

KAS 1.0+ is a from scratch rewrite to implement parts to accomplish the same types of things old KAS did, but is more grounded in physics. Being a new implementation under a different licence, legally nothing from the old code or models could be reused.  Some of the parts may look similar, but they are different models.

In the end it really boils down to it's the way it is because this is how IgorZ wants it. His his mod, his rules.

IgorZ is planning to do a rewrite of KIS in the near future, if you contribute to him on Patreon you can join the private discussion planning the future of KIS.

2 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I'm not sure why the grappler was removed, though.

The grappler wasn't removed from the new KAS, it was never there to start with. A lot of people seem to be under the impression that things were deleted on purpose. Nothing exists in KAS without code to implement their unique features. Since this was a clean sheet rewrite, IgorZ has to write code from scratch to support how the grappler works in the game. He just hasn't gotten to implementing anything yet.

4 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

The grappler wasn't removed from the new KAS, it was never there to start with. A lot of people seem to be under the impression that things were deleted on purpose. Nothing exists in KAS without code to implement their unique features. Since this was a clean sheet rewrite, IgorZ has to write code from scratch to support how the grappler works in the game. He just hasn't gotten to implementing anything yet.

OK, thanks for the clarification :)

1 hour ago, Tw1 said:

At least bring back the magnet to grab debris, and the grapple for attaching to the ground. All the there parts were basically redundant, but KAS isn't KAS without those. 

Is there another way for you to do these things?  I've only been playing KSP for a little over a year, my first longish game I used the old KAS and used these parts for these purposes, but really didn't miss them when I switched to KAS 1.0. I just had to find a different way of doing things.

1) Grabbing Debris. I do a lot of contracts for "Recover X part from orbit" for most of these I usually use KIS to add a kit to the part to deorbit it on it's own rather than try to stuff it in a cargo bay and bring it back. Often this ends up being a much smaller ship I have to send out for the recovery. I'll have a KAS TJ-1 strut on the recovering ship that rendezvous with the drifting part, a Kerbal floats over puts a JS-1 port on it and I connect the strut to hold it stable relative to my ship while the engineers strap on the recovery kit. BG Robotics can probably provide some solutions was well. I know USI Konstruction has a magnet, but haven't found it that useful.

2) Attaching to the Ground. I've never found that rigid attachment through parts to the ground works all that well in KSP. I remember in old KAS using pipes to connect different buildings and light poles and every time I'd load a base everything would break and the base kept sliding around. Mods like World Stabilizer just seemed to detach everything from the ground and set it back down, but did nothing to keep things stationary. The best fix I've found is the Ground Tether in USI. If you use any USI mod you probably have USI Tools installed as a dependency. You just need a little patch to add the ground tether function to command modules. I've landed on a 45 degree slope, flip on the tether and it stays put. I use this on all my bases to keep them from sliding around. Best part is it doesn't inflate the part count.

//
// Add USI-Tools Ground Tether option to command modules
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[USI_InertialDampener]]:FINAL
{
    MODULE
    {
	name = USI_InertialDampener
    }
}

Edited by Tonka Crash

1 hour ago, Tonka Crash said:

Is there another way for you to do these things?  I've only been playing KSP for a little over a year, my first longish game I used the old KAS and used these parts for these purposes, but really didn't miss them when I switched to KAS 1.0. I just had to find a different way of doing things.

Sure, those would be practical options in most circumstances.
But then again, there's always another way to achieve something. I could just open up the cheats menu, load in hyperedit, manipulate the save file, if I just want a means to an end. But for me, the fun is in doing something a certain way. Sometimes, you just want to grapple climb the VAB, or snatch away harpoon style a kerbal as you drive past. Abseil down the mohole,   or scoop up parts from the top of a giant tower rover.

Basically, all I wanted was some news that these parts are not being abandoned. I would like to suggest a "planned" section in the main post giving some reassurance that something like this will eventually return to a maintained version of KAS mod.