[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

16 minutes ago, Tw1 said:

Basically, all I wanted was some news that these parts are not being abandoned. I would like to suggest a "planned" section in the main post giving some reassurance that something like this will eventually return to a maintained version of KAS mod. 

The KAS GitHub wiki page on legacy parts (which is linked to in the main post) talks about the plan for missing parts.

15 minutes ago, RYU AZUKU99 said:

Why was the original static pipe system between sockets removed? It's been a long while since I played with this mod and was just curious.

Besides the mentioned improved realism, the new system of flexible pipes reduces krakens.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!  I must say 'well done'.  Been using KAS/KIS for years and after an extended KSP break I'm blown away by the latest RTS-1 functionality.  Not sure if this is 'new', but it is to me.  The ability to drop/pickup the hose:  NICE!  Having to walk it back (simulating reeling the hose back in) and then the option to 'return connector' was unexpected and an awesome level of detail!!!  Ahh, it's the little things.....  Again:  WELL DONE!!!  :)

-Cyto

Im having a bit of trouble re attaching the hw-80 winch to the side of the modular girder XL. It says node cant be used for surface attach. Is this a bug?? Ive tried (R) and rotating it every which of way.  It attaches to the end of it fine though.. kust wont let me reattach it from where I took it off? or on any side of the modular girder except for the far ends?

20 hours ago, tamagotchii2003 said:

Im having a bit of trouble re attaching the hw-80 winch to the side of the modular girder XL. It says node cant be used for surface attach. Is this a bug?? Ive tried (R) and rotating it every which of way.  It attaches to the end of it fine though.. kust wont let me reattach it from where I took it off? or on any side of the modular girder except for the far ends?

First of all, this is KIS functionality. The part (HW-8))is from KAS, but the parts attaching function is handled by the KIS mod. And it looks you're using the wrench tool for attaching. This tool can only connect parts via their stack nodes. In order to be able to attach something on the surface of another part you need using the electrical screwdriver tool.

So I guess I haven't played with KAS in a long time.. last time I used it there were really long pipes and pylons to connect them through. Now.. there's these short telescoping things that are limited to 2-5 meters? Is this really the only way to connect things now? And the pylons are so heavy and take up so much room in the containers (volume) I can only fit so many. I'm trying to connect two ships on Duna that are only 350 meters apart but with these crappy short telescoping things I'm going to have to make 10~15 launches from KSP -> Duna just to connect everything. In the old version I could connect up 1~2 KM of pipe just in one launch and everything was awesome. KAS feels broken and pointless now. Is this really the only way to make any kind of connections that can transfer resources now? I might have to abandon KAS if this really is it. Or maybe go play an ancient version of KSP and find an old version of KAS just to get access to the really long pipes again. I would give up so much / anything to get the old super long pipes back again. This is nuts in the "new" version.

On top of that I can't seem to "Carry" anything with my kerbals anymore after detaching it. Only store stuff in it's inventory and the Kerbal's inventory is so small I can't fit any of the antennas or bigger batteries and he can't carry it in his hands either. So there's no way to manually transport anything the 300~350 meter distance for physical objects unless I build a big rover on a remote planet I guess.. ugh. KAS used to be awesome. It's gimped/neutered and super annoying now. :(

Edited by kithylin

So has the winch connector bug been resolved yet? I just tried to connect a winch with the JS1 Joint socket and I still get the problem that the winch connector cant be grabbed and connected to the socket and the kerbal ends up in a bugged state. I couldnt find a real information on this here on this thread.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, MajorJo said:

So has the winch connector bug been resolved yet? I just tried to connect a winch with the JS1 Joint socket and I still get the problem that the winch connector cant be grabbed and connected to the socket and the kerbal ends up in a bugged state. I couldnt find a real information on this here on this thread.

Thanks!

Yes it been fixed for a while and directions to repair games are in this thread probably posted by myself, but I'm hung over and don't feel like being your personal search engine to go find it.

6 hours ago, kithylin said:

So I guess I haven't played with KAS in a long time...  blah, blah, blah passive aggressive complaining continues. :(

No one is forcing you to use this mod. If you don't like it you can always go back and use the old unsupported version you seem to like better. To me it sounds like you need to be more precise in your landings so you don't need to span 350m. 

You know you can always change what you don't like by either changing the KAS patches directly or writing a MM patch to "edit" the KAS patches on load?  It was precisely because I didn't like the default behavior in a mod that I started learning how module manager patches worked.

3 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

Yes it been fixed for a while and directions to repair games are in this thread probably posted by myself, but I'm hung over and don't feel like being your personal search engine to go find it.

No one is forcing you to use this mod. If you don't like it you can always go back and use the old unsupported version you seem to like better. To me it sounds like you need to be more precise in your landings so you don't need to span 350m. 

You know you can always change what you don't like by either changing the KAS patches directly or writing a MM patch to "edit" the KAS patches on load?  It was precisely because I didn't like the default behavior in a mod that I started learning how module manager patches worked.

In the past we could use KAS+KIS and build large multi-KM mining, refinery and refueling sites with minimal part-count and it was high performance and everything was awesome. We could still do it now but it would be at least +5x more work and +10x more time involved to do so and result in +2x to +3x more parts in the process. I don't know who made the design decision but KAS has made a huge step backwards. And 300 meters is nothing. I once had KAS+KIS and made a 500m x 500m solar array on the surface of a moon for a refinery. That was trivial and barely nothing / not much effort to do with the old KAS and I had that built in 1 launch and finished it in a few hours. Now that would be a monumental assembly process and probably take 4-6 days IRL time of 12-10 hours per day just to build the same thing.

If you are going to really stick with this telescoping arm system, can you at least give us a 10m, 25m, and 50m  telescoping arm we can use? That might make KAS at least somewhat useful for large build projects. As it stands KAS is useless for anything other than small little build projects that are only 10~25m or so.

2 hours ago, kithylin said:

In the past we could use KAS+KIS and build large multi-KM mining, refinery and refueling sites with minimal part-count and it was high performance and everything was awesome. We could still do it now but it would be at least +5x more work and +10x more time involved to do so and result in +2x to +3x more parts in the process. I don't know who made the design decision but KAS has made a huge step backwards. And 300 meters is nothing. I once had KAS+KIS and made a 500m x 500m solar array on the surface of a moon for a refinery. That was trivial and barely nothing / not much effort to do with the old KAS and I had that built in 1 launch and finished it in a few hours. Now that would be a monumental assembly process and probably take 4-6 days IRL time of 12-10 hours per day just to build the same thing.

If you are going to really stick with this telescoping arm system, can you at least give us a 10m, 25m, and 50m  telescoping arm we can use? That might make KAS at least somewhat useful for large build projects. As it stands KAS is useless for anything other than small little build projects that are only 10~25m or so.

For the long connections there is an RTS part. Have you tried to use it? It gives you exactly 30m of hose and needs only one port. I.e. the parts counter is the same (two per one link) and the link distance is the same.

Hi!

Great mod! I would prefered if I came here to say just that, but I'm having a little old issue with this... after reading like 12 pages of this thread and looking everywhere I just surrendered to it and came for true help. Well, let's see it.

RTS1! That fuel damn thing, the point is that when I try to use it it just "Beep" and do nothing, I can't grab anything, much less use it. The wire module seems to work fine (well, I don't grab anything with it, but I guess that's how it works). As you can see I'm a bit new in KAS... This is the log of it, i made it beep three or four times... Hoping is just a minor issue and my refueling ship can do his task!

Guess this is the log https://mega.nz/#!dhV11SBR KSP 1.7.3 - KAS 1.4 by CKan

Edited by Treikan
Added new log

3 hours ago, Treikan said:

Hi!

Great mod! I would prefered if I came here to say just that, but I'm having a little old issue with this... after reading like 12 pages of this thread and looking everywhere I just surrendered to it and came for true help. Well, let's see it.

RTS1! That fuel damn thing, the point is that when I try to use it it just "Beep" and do nothing, I can't grab anything, much less use it. The wire module seems to work fine (well, I don't grab anything with it, but I guess that's how it works). As you can see I'm a bit new in KAS... This is the log of it, i made it beep three or four times... Hoping is just a minor issue and my refueling ship can do his task!

Guess this is the log https://mega.nz/#!dhV11SBR KSP 1.7.3 - KAS 1.4 by CKan

The link asks for a decryption key to download the file. Try this Wiki to properly share the log. It has links to good free sharing services.

Also, try playing the mod on a clean game. I.e. without any other mods. If it works fine there, then it's a mods conflict. If not, than you're did something wrong (like messed with the installation).

Hi again. I were a bit in a hurry before, let put things right this time (I hope).

KSP: 1.7.3.2594 64bits
Problem: RTS1 unable to be grabbed or used.
Mods installed: KAS 1.4 and KIS 1.22 with CKAN 1.26.4
Log: https://ufile.io/87oa9z6p
Tests: Uninstalled all mods and KSP, installed again KSP in a different hard drive, reinstalled KAS and KIS and tested in pad launch using a creative new game.

28 minutes ago, Treikan said:

Hi again. I were a bit in a hurry before, let put things right this time (I hope).

KSP: 1.7.3.2594 64bits
Problem: RTS1 unable to be grabbed or used.
Mods installed: KAS 1.4 and KIS 1.22 with CKAN 1.26.4
Log: https://ufile.io/87oa9z6p
Tests: Uninstalled all mods and KSP, installed again KSP in a different hard drive, reinstalled KAS and KIS and tested in pad launch using a creative new game.

Well, as I guessed - you have wrong installation of the mods. Both KIS and KAS require dependent mods to work: CCK and ModuleManager. They are absent in your setup. Please, read the installation instructions carefully in this thread OP. Even better, install CKAN and get the mods from there, this way you won't need to care about dependencies. I highly encourage you to read this Wiki. Even though it was made for KIS, the typical problems, described there, are applicable to KAS too. Not to mention KIS in your game is broken too, and fixing it will be your next task anyway :) 

Edited by IgorZ

You are amazing, thank you very much.

I'm confused anyway.. as I wrote, both mods were installed by CKAN, so I expected everything to be ok. As soon as I told CKAN to install CCK and ModuleManager the problem is solver. Now, about the KIS... I didn't knew it was broken, and I still don't know how... I guess I have never saw it work as intended, so I can't see were is the problem with it. If you say it's broken, I clearly trust you that something isn't right, but... could you be a bit more specific? 

16 minutes ago, Treikan said:

You are amazing, thank you very much.

I'm confused anyway.. as I wrote, both mods were installed by CKAN, so I expected everything to be ok. As soon as I told CKAN to install CCK and ModuleManager the problem is solver. Now, about the KIS... I didn't knew it was broken, and I still don't know how... I guess I have never saw it work as intended, so I can't see were is the problem with it. If you say it's broken, I clearly trust you that something isn't right, but... could you be a bit more specific? 

With the right installation, KIS is no more broken :)  I doubt describing every possible way how it can break is helpful. But if you're curious, read the Wiki, it explains typical issues with KIS . If you don't observe any of them, then your KIS is likely working fine. Missing ModuleManager is the most common problem, that was your case.

7 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Well, as I guessed - you have wrong installation of the mods. Both KIS and KAS require dependent mods to work: CCK and ModuleManager. They are absent in your setup. Please, read the installation instructions carefully in this thread OP. Even better, install CKAN and get the mods from there, this way you won't need to care about dependencies. I highly encourage you to read this Wiki. Even though it was made for KIS, the typical problems, described there, are applicable to KAS too. Not to mention KIS in your game is broken too, and fixing it will be your next task anyway :) 

The Relationship tab in CKAN for KAS and KIS don't list CCK and MM as dependencies.  KIS lists them as Recommends, KAS not at all.  My KAS and KIS are working correctly so this isn't a request for help, but am I missing something in interpreting what CKAN presents?

50 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

The Relationship tab in CKAN for KAS and KIS don't list CCK and MM as dependencies.  KIS lists them as Recommends, KAS not at all.  My KAS and KIS are working correctly so this isn't a request for help, but am I missing something in interpreting what CKAN presents?

Well, you're actually right! Thru all these years CCK and MM were listed as recommended in CKAN config!!! Thank you, for bringing it to my attention. I'll get it fixed.

@Treikan I owe you an apologize. Indeed, it was a problem with the mod that it doesn't require the dependent mods. On the other hand, why not listening to the recommendations? :) 

You owe me nothing with so much work in your side! 
I tend to be a vanilla player, so I try to avoid mods... until KSP, sometimes I got so frustrated I looked for things to make what I need, and here I am! Sooner or later my KSP will have a lot more thanks to people like you. We owe you that.