[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

25 minutes ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

If the ship is docked you shouldn't need the pipes anyway. They are meant more for refueling landers that can't easily use a standard docking port. 

They're not much use with that anyway because of the issue with landing gear autostruts, any lander of mine that connects to my base once is stuck there forever or at least until I C4 the @#$%er. Then it's a pile of landing legs with no real purpose.

6 hours ago, Auriga_Nexus said:

They're not much use with that anyway because of the issue with landing gear autostruts, any lander of mine that connects to my base once is stuck there forever or at least until I C4 the @#$%er. Then it's a pile of landing legs with no real purpose.

I asked around and the general opinion is that Vessel.CycleAllAutoStrut() needs to be called on both the resulting vessels when a vessel splits.  I don't know why this isn't happening by some existing mechanism but it should be possible for KAS to call it itself...

9 hours ago, Mjonir said:

Hello,

I've been trying out this mod and I'm having a crash to desktop. I have built a space station and was planning to exchange fuel between its attached ships. After docking, I set up and linked CC-R2 ports in EVA, then successfully transferred fuel. However, after I unlink the CC-R2, either immediately or upon returning or switching to the space station, the game crashes.

Here is a screenshot of the configuration and a crash log and the save file:

http://imgur.com/a/AJMLK
https://zerobin.net/?95c2c49b22aff465#zca3WhrKIAAvNyaaTwr9XPvsMJgA4bByB1cUvzDIYpE=
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=96119285076492544190

Can you help me with this problem?

EDIT: After playing with it some more, the crash doesn't seem to happen if I undock the ship before unlinking the CC-R2.

It looks like a mod conflict issue. I tried to reproduce the similar setup on launchpad and unlink worked correctly. The only known "solution" to make the game crash is triggering stack overflow error which may happen when multiple mods react to the same nested event.

6 hours ago, Mjonir said:

Actually, I was playing with "Ressource Transfer Obeys Crossfeed Rules" on for realism, which prevented me from doing so.

Old KAS won't help you anyways. KSP 1.2 requires an attach node to exist for the fuel transfers, and KAS doesn't create ones (by design). This will be fixed in KAS 1.0.

31 minutes ago, Padishar said:

I asked around and the general opinion is that Vessel.CycleAllAutoStrut() needs to be called on both the resulting vessels when a vessel splits.  I don't know why this isn't happening by some existing mechanism but it should be possible for KAS to call it itself...

Thanks for the useful hint. Never had any issues with KAS undocked vessels but it doesn't seem this cycling can harm, so I;m going to add it into standard KAS decoupling method.

10 hours ago, IgorZ said:

It looks like a mod conflict issue. I tried to reproduce the similar setup on launchpad and unlink worked correctly. The only known "solution" to make the game crash is triggering stack overflow error which may happen when multiple mods react to the same nested event.

Would it be any use to know what the conflict is? If so then I could try and deactivate everything until I find the culprit, I'm not using many.

10 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Old KAS won't help you anyways. KSP 1.2 requires an attach node to exist for the fuel transfers, and KAS doesn't create ones (by design). This will be fixed in KAS 1.0.

I'm not sure what you mean. I was eventually able to transfer fuel both when docked and undocked (which is what I ended up using to work around the crash).

13 minutes ago, Mjonir said:

Would it be any use to know what the conflict is? If so then I could try and deactivate everything until I find the culprit, I'm not using many.

It always worth knowing the conflicting mod. If fix will be trivial I'll implement it.

13 minutes ago, Mjonir said:

I'm not sure what you mean. I was eventually able to transfer fuel both when docked and undocked (which is what I ended up using to work around the crash).

I mean fuel transfer via a dialog. In strict mode game does an explicit check if source and target tanks are connected via attachment nodes with fuel crossfeed enabled. No attach node means fuel cannot cross the connection. It could work for you because your vessels are all docked together, and there could be a valid path for the fuel thru the docking ports. But if this is the case then you don't need KAS pipes at all :)

22 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Thanks for the useful hint. Never had any issues with KAS undocked vessels but it doesn't seem this cycling can harm, so I;m going to add it into standard KAS decoupling method.

Let me know if and when this change is compiled and I'll test it out. I haven't had that many issues with KAS other than the autostrut issue.

It could be possible that you forgot to add the function call to the code for disconnecting the vessels. Autostruts are kind of a new thing after all, and something that works more in the background than anything else. That being said... how much of the code governing stock docking/undocking is used for KAS?

Edited by Auriga_Nexus

2 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

I added a bug to the tracker.

jZbBMok.png

7QLbMr6.png

KIS uses full mass of a part when deciding whether there's enough kerbals to move it out of a container, regardless of actual content of the stored part. In the above screens, the (empty) tank from top was detached and stored with zero problems, but removal is impossible,

This really should have been posted in the KIS thread. 

13 hours ago, Auriga_Nexus said:

Let me know if and when this change is compiled and I'll test it out. I haven't had that many issues with KAS other than the autostrut issue.

It could be possible that you forgot to add the function call to the code for disconnecting the vessels. Autostruts are kind of a new thing after all, and something that works more in the background than anything else. That being said... how much of the code governing stock docking/undocking is used for KAS?

Old KAS never had any code related to the auto-struts. In KAS 1.0 I had some issues with them that were solved. KAS dock/undock code is a rather complete copy of the stock code, except it was done on the previous KSP version :)

Can you give simple steps to reproduce the problem with stuck rovers?

Ok folks... I'm pulling my hair out.... I know I found a module a few weeks ago that would let you turn parts into a psudo-kerbal for the purposes of increasing how much you could move around.  I've just spent the last 2 hours googling every permutation of KSP KAS KIS module weight etc etc I could think of. can anyone tell me whether I just imagined seeing such a thing, and if it is real, where its at?

I'd like to do some space construction, and lofting up space cranes seems far cooler then huddling a mass of kerbles around a 5 ton part or just hulking out a single kerble either.

Help?

39 minutes ago, Mikki said:

Increase the volume for Kerbals in the settings maybe?
Open the KIS folder settings... there you are.
How to increase the RCS power for heavy Kerbals? I dunno.:wink:

He clearly said he didn't want to deal that. 

@deneb3525

you want the Konstruction mod by Roverdude. 

Just be aware the parts only really work well on the ground. 

1 hour ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

He clearly said he didn't want to deal that. 

@deneb3525

you want the Konstruction mod by Roverdude. 

Just be aware the parts only really work well on the ground. 

Specifically, he wants to look at this patch in that mod, which hasn't made to a release yet.  (It was intended to make it into the last release, but didn't make it into the zip somehow.)

That will add the ability for parts from that mod to act as a Kerbal for lifting using KIS.  If he wants to apply it to another part, it's fairly straightforward - though I'll note that working on large parts in orbit isn't exactly easy.  (I've got a personal patch here which adds it to one of the Orbital Utility Vehicle parts, and it's a lot harder than doing it on the ground.)

@DStaal , @ExplorerKlatt, Thank you both of you, I was looking for the ModuleKISPickup which I had looked right over. That said, the patch that DStaal pointed out is pretty much exactly what I was looking for to build my orbital construction yard. My goal is to use Extraplanetary Launchpad to build single parts and manually build my massive colony ships part by part in orbit.

Hopefully this is the correct forum to ask this.  Is there an equivalent attribute for evaDistance on the cPort1 "CC-R2 Connector Port"?

If you haven't seen evaDistance, see the stock Materials Bay and other interactable science modules.

I've included the connector port in a weldment, and it works great, except it's located a bit far from the part's origin and I need to bump up the distance at which kerbals on EVA can interact with it.

Edit: Just learned my trusty old cPort1 will be deprecated.  So I guess I am also asking this regarding TJ-1 / TJ-2 and whatever special pump component will replace cPort1.

(Please quote or tag me on response as I'm not tracking this thread; thanks!)

Edited by Fwiffo

9 minutes ago, Fwiffo said:

Hopefully this is the correct forum to ask this.  Is there an equivalent attribute for evaDistance on the cPort1 "CC-R2 Connector Port"?

If you haven't seen evaDistance, see the stock Materials Bay and other interactable science modules.

I've included the connector port in a weldment, and it works great, except it's located a bit far from the part's origin and I need to bump up the distance at which kerbals on EVA can interact with it.

Edit: Just learned my trusty old cPort1 will be deprecated.  So I guess I am also asking this regarding TJ-1 / TJ-2 and whatever special pump component will replace cPort1.

(Please quote or tag me on response as I'm not tracking this thread; thanks!)

It sounds similar to

Well, as stated in the original forum overriding the distance is not something KSP originally supports. Though, basing on the feedback I'll keep in mind the request (created a tracker issue). Old KAS will not have this feature for sure, but it may get implemented in the new KAS.

@IgorZ Thanks for that quick response!  I'm looking forward to new-KAS.

In old-KAS, does it just inherit the actionable distance from something deep in the bowels of KSP, or is there a "global" distance constant somewhere in the KAS code I can override and recompile?  (Any idea how the stock evaDistance thing works?  If there's a straightforward means to backport this to old-KAS e.g. by inheriting some kind of class attribute from stock, I might be willing to give it a shot)

Edited by Fwiffo

20 hours ago, Fwiffo said:

@IgorZ Thanks for that quick response!  I'm looking forward to new-KAS.

In old-KAS, does it just inherit the actionable distance from something deep in the bowels of KSP, or is there a "global" distance constant somewhere in the KAS code I can override and recompile?  (Any idea how the stock evaDistance thing works?  If there's a straightforward means to backport this to old-KAS e.g. by inheriting some kind of class attribute from stock, I might be willing to give it a shot)

Distance for menus can be defined when declaring event via `KSPEvent` attribute in the code. By default distance is 2m. To change the value for all KAS modules they all need to be updated. In order to have this value adjustable via config file a special code needs to be implemented that will trigger on every game load and fix the value.

Edited by IgorZ

Could some one create a module or dll that disables the auto-strut in-bread into KSP?  If this isn't possible, or has been requested, I'm sorry I could not find such a post.  Really I think a lot of people would appreciate being able to disable this feature, as it has caused more problems than solved, as far as I can see.  KJR fixed a huge amount of issues, and struts are a part in the game I enjoy needing to figure out, and its a horrible Band aid, if that's what is was implemented to do.

I read that the  cPort1 will be removed.  Unless it is getting replaced with a strut that does the same thing, or in some way a better job, then great, if not why on earth would we be removing an Awesome piece of "Needed" equipment? Just want to hear the thinking behind this is all, not trying to be critical, but I'm sure most of us Love using these struts "in situ".

Thx for the work with maintaining guys. 

1 hour ago, ArkaelDren said:

I read that the  cPort1 will be removed.  Unless it is getting replaced with a strut that does the same thing, or in some way a better job, then great, if not why on earth would we be removing an Awesome piece of "Needed" equipment? Just want to hear the thinking behind this is all, not trying to be critical, but I'm sure most of us Love using these struts "in situ".

It's not true. `cPort1`, which is a part of old KAS, is not removed from the old KAS. In kAS 1.0 there will be no cPort1 part but there will be other part(s) to fulfill the gap. E.g. JS-1 part is pretty much like cPort1. Old KAS and KAS 1.0 parts are not compatible (i.e. they cannot connect to each other) but they can live together in the same vessel.

As for the auto-struts. Well, for me it was an unpleasant surprise too: many things that worked before stopped working in 1.2. Though, I don't think disabling them is a good approach. Squad team implemented this feature for a reason, and we should live with it. KAS 1.0 deals with it pretty good.

Edited by IgorZ

I recently experienced an issue while attempting to attach two rovers together.  They are designed so that in order to connect them, one must "cross the T" on the other.  I had parked them on a shallow slope on Eve, and had locked the brakes on each.  Neither was sliding.  I then sent a Kerbal on EVA to attach them via winch.  Both rovers are part of a resource extraction/conversion system related to Extraplanetary Launchpads, so a docked connection is required.  Unfortunately, any time I attempted to attach them, I would end up with multiple blown tires, and they would start sliding down the hill, away from the command center of my base and its flag.  I believe this is related to some brief violent shaking that occurs when I load a quicksave that has a similar pair of docked rovers (also at my Eve base).  This shaking occurs at the same time as the clicking sound made by the docking mechanism while focusing on or moving within range of a base using the winch system, and has a tendency to compromise the structural integrity of the rovers, which unfortunately seem to have a structural weak spot where the equipment/command section is mounted to the chassis.

I suspect these problems may have something to do with the "physics easing" that has been added in KSP 1.2.  Connecting undocked and then switching modes failed to resolve the blown tire / sliding problem.  I have had to resort to repairing/resetting damaged rovers via edits to the SFS, and spawning in barriers (made of ore containers and launch clamps) to hold my sliding rovers in place.  Attempting to despawn the barriers after making the connection resulted in the sliding resuming, and the barriers are only a temporary solution anyway: to get my base fully online, I must still send 2 more rovers and make 3 more connections (these 3 will be end-to-end instead of "cross the T"), which will likely be problematic.  Does anyone know of a more graceful / less drastic workaround for this issue, and is this likely to still be a problem with the new attachment systems in KAS 1.0?

I should note that this occurred before KSP 1.2.2 came out today, and I have yet to try anything with it installed (in part due to the patch causing a compatibility warning for Extraplanetary Launchpads).

Edit: I realized I had not updated to KAS 0.6.1.  However, doing so does not appear to have had an effect on this issue.

Edited by cgwhite4
Realized I needed to update this mod.

16 hours ago, cgwhite4 said:

Does anyone know of a more graceful / less drastic workaround for this issue, and is this likely to still be a problem with the new attachment systems in KAS 1.0?

Not sure if I got your layout. Could you please make a short video or at least give some screenshots? Docked rovers have issues in KSP 1.2, and sometimes physics on the wheels starts acting like crazy (I guess it was the reason why Squad team introduced auto-struts).