[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

32 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

Hi all -
Before I ask this question, I went back a couple pages in this forms to see about an answer and I didn't see and I know this is bad manners on my part; however either I didn't go back far enough or I am need to glasses for reading.

Currently I am moving a save from 1.3 to 1.3.1 and I don't see a KAS for 1.3.1, can I assume that I can use the 1.3 version?

thank and again, my apologies.

Yup, it still works far as I can tell.

8 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

Currently I am moving a save from 1.3 to 1.3.1 and I don't see a KAS for 1.3.1, can I assume that I can use the 1.3 version?

I works fine under 1.3.1. Changes in the third number of the game versions usually don't break the mods. Such changes are either cosmetic, or just bug fixes.

Edited by IgorZ

Hi IgorZ.
Let me state one thing clearly: KIS and KAS are the most mindbreaking MODs for KSP I have seen so far. Thanks for this work.
...BUT.... let me also state: At least KAS is the most annoying and headache producing MOD in the hole Game Universe ;-)
 I really think, that it is a question of how UNITY treats objects, but I don't believe, that there is no solution possible.

My (and I guess many players) problem: Surface Buildings. 

Even so, since 1.1 (or was it 1.2) when the "easing physics" routine came up, it still happens, that sudden acceleration is put into part, that are clearly sticked to the ground -or better: large structures, that are on the surface. It is absolutely hard, if you have managed to put hundreds of parts to the planet, let your engineer run around for hours and hours, and then suddenly the complete structure starts to wobble and lift off the ground, wobbling its way far up to the sky. Fireworks, if You don't have "unbreakable joints" and "no damaged" activated. Even F5/F9 does rarely help.

My gameplay is not to build huge structures in the VAB/SHP and lift them with insane unrealistic rockets. I like the "real" style, and KAS /KIS is the MOD making this possible.

So please, take a look at the code, if there is any part You can create making it possible to stick absolutely to the ground even on more than one point on the surface.

Let me know, what You think.
br

Carsten
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKIfJCKlJmk

Edited by inoculator
Hugh Video preview removed (at least tried) and some typos

5 hours ago, inoculator said:

Hi IgorZ.
Let me state one thing clearly: KIS and KAS are the most mindbreaking MODs for KSP I have seen so far. Thanks for this work.
...BUT.... let me also state: At least KAS is the most annoying and headache producing MOD in the hole Game Universe ;-)
 I really think, that it is a question of how UNITY treats objects, but I don't believe, that there is no solution possible.

My (and I guess many players) problem: Surface Buildings. 

Even so, since 1.1 (or was it 1.2) when the "easing physics" routine came up, it still happens, that sudden acceleration is put into part, that are clearly sticked to the ground -or better: large structures, that are on the surface. It is absolutely hard, if you have managed to put hundreds of parts to the planet, let your engineer run around for hours and hours, and then suddenly the complete structure starts to wobble and lift off the ground, wobbling its way far up to the sky. Fireworks, if You don't have "unbreakable joints" and "no damaged" activated. Even F5/F9 does rarely help.

My gameplay is not to build huge structures in the VAB/SHP and lift them with insane unrealistic rockets. I like the "real" style, and KAS /KIS is the MOD making this possible.

So please, take a look at the code, if there is any part You can create making it possible to stick absolutely to the ground even on more than one point on the surface.

Rumor has it that the Airpark Continued mod can help with that issue:

If you Airpark your base, it might stop it from flying off the rails up into the sky. No guarantees, of course, but it could be worth a try.

9 hours ago, inoculator said:

It's not possible. For some reason the game cannot remember the exact position of the vessel between the saves. It's not a problem for the vessels on orbit since even a significant error won't be noticed. However, for the landed vessels it's a big deal since even a 5 cm error may trigger a collider collision event. That said, it's not about KIS, it's about Unity+KSP. You cannot prevent this positioning errors to happen, but you can reduce the impact:

1. Keep the linear size of the base as short as possible. The forces are accumulating thru the joints, and when there are many joints aligned linearly, then a significant impulse can be achieved.
  2. Avoid attaching anything to the ground unless you really need it. The game is just not designed for that! The game's engine believes it's OK to reposition the vessel within ~0.5m range on load, but if there is a fixed joint, it may trigger a strong impulse. This impulse impact is greater on the bodies with a weak gravity.

KAS 1.0 will have some flexible links. Those can help using KAS for its main purpose and experience less physical effects. However, it's not possible to eliminate them all.

54 minutes ago, sardia said:

What's the best use for harpoons? I tried reeling in satellites but it whiplashes my mothership. I usually give up, and just use pipes to freeze the ships together. 

It's primarily designed to "anchor" to the asteroids. I see little use if it in any other field.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Commissar said:

am I the only one that has problems with doing anything in KIS? diassembligh parts just recycles them. i can't put anything back into the inventory.

It sounds like you're talking about the "disassemble" button that's provided by MKS.  That's not related to KIS or KAS.  To detach a part with KIS, hold the 'G' key and drag it.

1 minute ago, Wyzard said:

It sounds like you're talking about the "disassemble" button that's provided by MKS.  That's not related to KIS or KAS.  To detach a part with KIS, hold the 'G' key and drag it.

ah. that would explain it. RTFM, i guess, eh?

Edited by Commissar

I am on 1.3 and today I went to equip a box with toys. I could open the box do the inventory menu but nothing shows up as being in the box. I tried adding stuff to a seat inventory with same result. Next I tried putting a new install followed by deleting the old install and putting in a new install lol ( we don't need no stinking manuals lol). So after everything I tried I still can't get it to work. Did have it working fine before but haven't used it for months so I don't know when or what actually broke it. So hoping someone here can aim me in the right direction to get it fixed. Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Wragie said:

I am on 1.3 and today I went to equip a box with toys. I could open the box do the inventory menu but nothing shows up as being in the box. I tried adding stuff to a seat inventory with same result. Next I tried putting a new install followed by deleting the old install and putting in a new install lol ( we don't need no stinking manuals lol). So after everything I tried I still can't get it to work. Did have it working fine before but haven't used it for months so I don't know when or what actually broke it. So hoping someone here can aim me in the right direction to get it fixed. Thanks!

Try reading thru the troubleshooting guide. Unless you have a mods conflict, your problem should be solved after you're done reading. If not, please share the logs (a screenshot or video). would be also very helpful).

Btw, the inventory parts are provided by the KIS mod, and you're posting into the KAS thread :wink:

On 11/2/2017 at 12:20 AM, IgorZ said:

The game is just not designed for that! The game's engine believes it's OK to reposition the vessel within ~0.5m range on load, but if there is a fixed joint, it may trigger a strong impulse.

Hi Igor,

Thanks for Your answer. It is exactly, what I was expecting. Even so, it is not a solution at all, but it helps understanding, what the root cause is.

On 11/1/2017 at 8:05 PM, Supercheese said:

Airpark Continued mod can help with that issue:

Thanks for this hint, too, I will have a look, even so, it is just a workaround that needs additional procedures when switching vessels, I think.

All in all... it's a pitty ... :-(

I am having an issue or doing something wrong.

I cannot attach some parts on my orbital station.

Specifically I cannot attach in any way habitation modules from tantares mod,  as well as stock parts (the sputnik like probe).

When I grab them I can drop them anywhere, having the green light on the dropping surface, but there is no way I can attach them on surfaces as well as on nodes.

For attaching I tried both X and H keys, with engineer lvl 1 with the welch equipped (or whatever is its name), and of course within range

Edited by Bersagliere81

Great mod and great work!

I have a small problem, when i attach something and start moving it the grabbing tool (magnet and others) falls off from my vessel and sticks to the place i wanted to move. (the magnet falls off to the ground because the loss of electricity) does this have to do with 1.3.1?

8 hours ago, Casper_83 said:

Great mod and great work!

I have a small problem, when i attach something and start moving it the grabbing tool (magnet and others) falls off from my vessel and sticks to the place i wanted to move. (the magnet falls off to the ground because the loss of electricity) does this have to do with 1.3.1?

The grabbing tools are expected to be attached to a winch. Not to the vessel directly. What exactly "falls off": the winch with the grabbing device, or the device itself gets disconnected with the winch?

9 hours ago, IgorZ said:

The grabbing tools are expected to be attached to a winch. Not to the vessel directly. What exactly "falls off": the winch with the grabbing device, or the device itself gets disconnected with the winch?

Thank you,

I have connected the CC-R2 to a adjustable rail, then the magnet HE-03 or grappling hook HG-02 to the CC-R2. Both HE-03 and HG-02 falls of the CC-R2.

I think the weakest link should be the magnet or grappling hook, not he connection between them and whatever thy are connected to.

Edit: I tried connecting to the winch, same thing happens. magnet falls off the winch. Unplugs,

Edited by Casper_83

18 hours ago, Casper_83 said:

Thank you,

I have connected the CC-R2 to a adjustable rail, then the magnet HE-03 or grappling hook HG-02 to the CC-R2. Both HE-03 and HG-02 falls of the CC-R2.

I think the weakest link should be the magnet or grappling hook, not he connection between them and whatever thy are connected to.

Edit: I tried connecting to the winch, same thing happens. magnet falls off the winch. Unplugs,

Could you please show a screenshot of your assembly? I don't quite understand what are you building there. In a regular setup CC-R2 is not needed. You only need a winch and a harpoon (or magnet).

I'm having the following issue:

https://imgur.com/CTpOdxY

I seem to be not able to transfer fuel between the two connected vessels; eventhough I connected them with a KAS fuel pipe.

• career mode
  • latest version of KAS
  • R&D facility is fullyt upgraded, I could transfer between other tanks on the big vessel to the right
  • all decouplers have crossfeed enabled

I see the fuel pipes have an option to pump. It is however unclear what this pumping does.

2 hours ago, Jenteb07 said:

I'm having the following issue:

https://imgur.com/CTpOdxY

I seem to be not able to transfer fuel between the two connected vessels; eventhough I connected them with a KAS fuel pipe.

• career mode
  • latest version of KAS
  • R&D facility is fullyt upgraded, I could transfer between other tanks on the big vessel to the right
  • all decouplers have crossfeed enabled

I see the fuel pipes have an option to pump. It is however unclear what this pumping does.

Please, check for the "Resource Transfer Obeys Crossfeed Rules" in the difficulty settings. For KAS to work you need it be OFF.

Hi, I'm having an issue... so I am using KIS, and I attached a small octagonal strut with an attachable strut on it, and whenever I try to link it to a similar strut elsewhere on the station the octagonal strut "floats" off of the station and seems locked in with the Kerbal I used to do the whole thing, permanently (entering a ship/leaving doesn't fix it). Any suggestions on how to fix this?

-It does the same for the other similar struts as well, I click "link" and then "link" on the second strut, and the first one just starts floating off the station, connected to the Kerbal.

Here is an image of what happens after I connect the struts:

Untitled.png

Edited by PhoenixStar117

4 hours ago, PhoenixStar117 said:

Hi, I'm having an issue... so I am using KIS, and I attached a small octagonal strut with an attachable strut on it, and whenever I try to link it to a similar strut elsewhere on the station the octagonal strut "floats" off of the station and seems locked in with the Kerbal I used to do the whole thing, permanently (entering a ship/leaving doesn't fix it). Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Sounds like a mods conflict. Please, share the game log.