[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

Hello everybody!

I need your help solving a problem that occured to me:

My rockets got stuck on launchpad. In the first place I thought this might be caused by the Tantares mod because it only happened to vessels built with Tantares-parts. There's also a warning for the KIS-config of Tantares in my MMpatch.log.

But after removing KAS from my game the problem seems to be solved - with the disadvantage of not KAS ingame anymore. So - do you guys have any idea on how I could solve this and still keep KAS in my game?

Best wishes.

19 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

@Jeb Jawkins To diagnose the issues we need logs that capture the problem. 

Sorry!

Well - I'm running a mac. Checked the guidlines linked above. But I don't have a unity folder in my Library/log/-directory and therefore no player.log as well :( .

37 minutes ago, Jeb Jawkins said:

Sorry!

Well - I'm running a mac. Checked the guidlines linked above. But I don't have a unity folder in my Library/log/-directory and therefore no player.log as well :( .

Those guidelines are a bit old, I guess. I'm sure a log still gets created, no idea where, but for this problem KSP.log should be fine and is located in the root directory where the game installs.

2 hours ago, Jeb Jawkins said:

Sorry!

It should be there, I just double-checked my Mac.  ;)  Note that the location is '~/Library/Logs/Unity`, not `/Library/Logs/Unity`.   (The '~' means 'your home directory'.)  The Console app should help you find it, as 'Library' is a hidden directory in your home directory.

8 minutes ago, DStaal said:

It should be there, I just double-checked my Mac.  ;)  Note that the location is '~/Library/Logs/Unity`, not `/Library/Logs/Unity`.   (The '~' means 'your home directory'.)  The Console app should help you find it, as 'Library' is a hidden directory in your home directory.

Yeah, the console really helped.

Thank you.

unity-player-log-file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OPjkG8fZKKU0TJND9Db_mlOTHzutYRO1

@Jeb Jawkins The Tantares KIS.cfg file warnings is an extra colon ":" at the end of a line that MM took care of on it's own. It's a nuisance to get a warning message, but not a problem.

You have Surface Experiment Package that has a dependency on the Legacy KAS values that was deleted in KAS 1.2. You need to downgrade to KAS 1.1 to support these. Or copy the legacy directory from KAS 1.1 to 1.2.

I'm not seeing any specific errors with Tantares and KAS, but I see a lot of errors and exceptions related to Tantares and Kerbalism. I don't use either mod, so I can't help there.

Spoiler

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Tantares/Parts/VOSTOK/_Andromeda_Crew_1/Andromeda_Crew_1'
Module HardDrive threw during OnLoad: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KERBALISM.Lib.RootID (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.DB.Vessel (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.HardDrive.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
Module Experiment threw during OnLoad: System.ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,System.Double].Add (System.String key, Double value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.Science.RegisterSampleMass (System.String experiment_id, Double sampleMass) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.Experiment.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Lots of errors similar to this one on various parts:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Tantares/Parts/SOYUZ/_Soyuz_Crew_1/Tantares_Crew_1'
Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

I'm also seeing what I'm guessing are really poorly formatted patches that aren't using :NEEDS[] to only run if the mod is present for Contares. There were a couple for Tantares and Tweakscale. There are lots of errors similar to this:

Spoiler

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Contares/Parts/SAS/RK_SAS_1250/RK_SAS_1250'
Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleSPU'
Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleRTAntennaPassive'
Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'TweakScale'
Module HardDrive threw during OnLoad: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KERBALISM.HardDrive.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Finally, I'm also not seeing a problem on the launch pad. I find three places where you went to flight mode. 

1. Vessel launched to orbit. 
  2. Vessel launched, reverted to VAB during climb.
  3. Vessel laumched to orbit.

What do you mean by "My rockets got stuck on launchpad"

20 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

@Jeb Jawkins The Tantares KIS.cfg file warnings is an extra colon ":" at the end of a line that MM took care of on it's own. It's a nuisance to get a warning message, but not a problem.

You have Surface Experiment Package that has a dependency on the Legacy KAS values that was deleted in KAS 1.2. You need to downgrade to KAS 1.1 to support these. Or copy the legacy directory from KAS 1.1 to 1.2.

I'm not seeing any specific errors with Tantares and KAS, but I see a lot of errors and exceptions related to Tantares and Kerbalism. I don't use either mod, so I can't help there.

Reveal hidden contents

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Tantares/Parts/VOSTOK/_Andromeda_Crew_1/Andromeda_Crew_1'
Module Experiment threw during OnLoad: System.ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,System.Double].Add (System.String key, Double value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.Science.RegisterSampleMass (System.String experiment_id, Double sampleMass) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.Experiment.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Lots of errors similar to this one on various parts:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Tantares/Parts/SOYUZ/_Soyuz_Crew_1/Tantares_Crew_1'
Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

I'm also seeing what I'm guessing are really poorly formatted patches that aren't using :NEEDS[] to only run if the mod is present for Contares. There were a couple for Tantares and Tweakscale. There are lots of errors similar to this:

Reveal hidden contents

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Contares/Parts/SAS/RK_SAS_1250/RK_SAS_1250'
Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleSPU'
Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleRTAntennaPassive'
Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'TweakScale'

Finally, I'm also not seeing a problem on the launch pad. I find three places where you went to flight mode. 

1. Vessel launched to orbit. 
  2. Vessel launched, reverted to VAB during climb.
  3. Vessel laumched to orbit.

What do you mean by "My rockets got stuck on launchpad"

Wow! Thanks for that detailed check and reply.

I've uplaoded a recent KSP.log because it happened again. Vessel got stuck mid-air. This time with Contares Hermes. The vessel was named Hermes - 6. For quicker search inside the file.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14y_giBhlNcCBnmsAn2PZbfyz1qAgCZHl

Here's a look at what it looks like:

Spoiler

Q4QS9uD.png

Edited by Jeb Jawkins

@Jeb Jawkins For the last flight I see Mechjeb start accent and the launch towers are reclassified as debris (this is normal). You took a screenshot, then your launch went sideways and things start exploding, but no indication that anything in the game has actually gone wrong, no indication the ship is hung, no exceptions are being thrown. Cargo doors move during this time. About 40 seconds after the first screenshot you take another that I'm guessing is the picture above. 40 seconds only to get as high as you did only makes sense if the vessel is hung and the booster exploded under you,. Physics are still running because parts continue to fly off and explode.  

The only time I've ever seen something similar to this was a Tweakscale problem where rescaled parts got to zero or negative mass. Zero and negative masses in a part create this exact problem, but it doesn't look like you use tweakscale. The massless part wouldn't move and the vessel exploded around it. Can you post the .craft file for this vessel?  Or look through it yourself and see if there is a part has mass <= 0.

I do see lots of the errors about failed to add Resource #### with different number for different tanks in this log and the last one.  I have no idea where these errors are coming from, but may be related to a negative mass issue.

[PartSet]: Failed to add Resource 782854232 to Simulation PartSet:12294 as corresponding Part <size=1><color=#00000000>04</color></size>Small Pressurized Tank-467627007 SimulationResource was not found.

Have you asked in the Kerbalism forum? Maybe someone there has seen it. I don't use Kerbalism, but from the questions I see on the forum it looks to be a pretty finicky mod to keep working right.  

Since you say the problem goes away when you uninstall KAS, you could revert to KAS 1.1 and see if the problem exists in that version. 1.2 brought some changes in it's implementation that may not be playing nice with Kerbalism or another of your mods.

12 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

@Jeb Jawkins For the last flight I see Mechjeb start accent and the launch towers are reclassified as debris (this is normal). You took a screenshot, then your launch went sideways and things start exploding, but no indication that anything in the game has actually gone wrong, no indication the ship is hung, no exceptions are being thrown. Cargo doors move during this time. About 40 seconds after the first screenshot you take another that I'm guessing is the picture above. 40 seconds only to get as high as you did only makes sense if the vessel is hung and the booster exploded under you,. Physics are still running because parts continue to fly off and explode.  

The only time I've ever seen something similar to this was a Tweakscale problem where rescaled parts got to zero or negative mass. Zero and negative masses in a part create this exact problem, but it doesn't look like you use tweakscale. The massless part wouldn't move and the vessel exploded around it. Can you post the .craft file for this vessel?  Or look through it yourself and see if there is a part has mass <= 0.

I do see lots of the errors about failed to add Resource #### with different number for different tanks in this log and the last one.  I have no idea where these errors are coming from, but may be related to a negative mass issue.

[PartSet]: Failed to add Resource 782854232 to Simulation PartSet:12294 as corresponding Part <size=1><color=#00000000>04</color></size>Small Pressurized Tank-467627007 SimulationResource was not found.

Have you asked in the Kerbalism forum? Maybe someone there has seen it. I don't use Kerbalism, but from the questions I see on the forum it looks to be a pretty finicky mod to keep working right.  

Since you say the problem goes away when you uninstall KAS, you could revert to KAS 1.1 and see if the problem exists in that version. 1.2 brought some changes in it's implementation that may not be playing nice with Kerbalism or another of your mods.

Okay. I will check all those points.

Couldn't thank you enough!

So far I have not discovered a part with mass = 0 but a lot with mass = 0.00something. Here's the craft file anyway https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-g_my7xNoh_8oRtIW6y5jgdN1DTp7R5D

I will now try the 1.1-KAS-tip of yours and than probably take the matter to Kerbalism.

3 minutes ago, Jeb Jawkins said:

So far I have not discovered a part with mass = 0 but a lot with mass = 0.00something. Here's the craft file anyway https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-g_my7xNoh_8oRtIW6y5jgdN1DTp7R5D

I will now try the 1.1-KAS-tip of yours and than probably take the matter to Kerbalism.

You need to also crosscheck the parts in the craft file against their .cfg file. If the part is physicsless the mass of the part is added to it's parent part, so some of the parts indicating they have no mass in the craft are ok if they are physicsless. It's tedious, but probably easier for you to do, than for me as I the only part we have in common is the launch clamp. If it turns out to be an error in the part config, report it to the mod maker.

@Jeb Jawkins I was thinking about your problem and it may be easiest to find the offending part in the VAB.  Take your problem craft. Watch the mass of the craft and start taking parts off. If the MASS goes up or doesn't change when you remove a part, that's likely candidate for your culprit. Build a minimal craft, with an engine, fuel tank, problem part and command module and see if it has a problem lifting off. The video I posted above was my test of the problem part that led to @Lisias banning structural tubes from tweakscale.

@Tonka Crash Thanks for your help and your time, again.

I felt a little bad about probably having spamed the wrong topic with my issue. But here's a little update:

The downgrade to KAS 1.1 didn't help unfortunately.

Before going through all the config files I've decided to launch and revert the craft linked above, removing parts in between launches. All I did was removing parts attached to the payloadbay of the Contares Hermes.

- Removing Kerbalism-Tanks from Bay -> no Lift-Off

- Removing all items from inside KIS-Container -> no Lift-Off

- Removing KIS-container from Bay (no KIS/KAS-parts in or on vessel) -> Lift Off !!

So,

considering that stuck-in-air flights didn't happen when removing KAS it still seems to me that there's either a problem between KIS <-> KAS or some mods have bad configs (for integrating KIS and/or KAS) created by their mod-authors. How can I check whether those configs are written correctly?

Edited by Jeb Jawkins

4 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

@Jeb Jawkins Could you post your ModuleManager.ConfigCache?  I looked at the KIS-container in my save and it's got a positive mass, but in your craft it's gone negative. So something is messing it up. If I'm looking at the right part it's the 1.25 m container IMiC-800

Jepp - it's the 1.25m IMiC-800

Here's the file:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1opTp3ybrp7-8vgsCxx9N6faAZ1s8KXme

Edited by Jeb Jawkins

3 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

@Jeb Jawkins I have no idea what's going on with your game. The KIS container has the right mass in the ModuleManager.ConfigCache, but something seems to be changing it as you add it to your craft. The mass in the craft file is -3.58 tons. 

:D I will continue to check.

Helped me a lot to narrow down the possible reasons. Thanks again.

I'll write as soon as there's relevant information to share.

@Jeb Jawkins I downloaded Contares and stuck the KIS container in the payload bay of the CD-Hermes. I see the mass of the ship go up like I'd expect and it launches fine, so it's not just KIS, KAS and Contares. The ModMass in my craft file goes to 0 for the part when it's in the payload bay, but this may just be the way KSP deals with parts in cargo bays, the mass gets added to the parent part. I don't have Kerbalism and have no plans to install it for testing. You might back up your game and delete Kerbalism and see if the problem goes away.

41 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

@Jeb Jawkins I downloaded Contares and stuck the KIS container in the payload bay of the CD-Hermes. I see the mass of the ship go up like I'd expect and it launches fine, so it's not just KIS, KAS and Contares. The ModMass in my craft file goes to 0 for the part when it's in the payload bay, but this may just be the way KSP deals with parts in cargo bays, the mass gets added to the parent part. I don't have Kerbalism and have no plans to install it for testing. You might back up your game and delete Kerbalism and see if the problem goes away.

Think so, too.

Keepig your explanations in mind I've also looked at the craft file posted here again. There are two other parts that get a negative mass once they are added to the inventory. One is from Kerbalism the other from Tantares. Both parts are not decomented having their mass getting changed in the MMConfigCache.

I will now add items to the inventory and observe the change in mass and TWR, and will also repeat this once whithout KAS, once whithout Kerbalism.

@Tonka Crash

SOLVED!!

Well - at least it's a workaround.

I still don't know the reason for this "bug" but we are at least flying again while keeping Kerbalism and KAS onboard.

Give me an idiot-patch if I should have known this but what I've found out is this:

I noticed that only science-parts (no matter of which mod) cause a negativ mass when added to an inventory. BUT: They only do if I directly pull them from the parts tab. If I do drop them somewhere in the VAB first and drag them into any inventory from there, the mass adds up correctly. And, because of that, rockets don't get stuck on the pad anymore. No such thing when adding any part from any other category to inventories. I've checked any Kerbalism-config regarding science but didn't find any hint there so far.

Anyway - Thanks for your help and taking your time. I am happy to "have the game back" but still want to find out about why this is happening.

P.S.: Thanks and best whishes from ESA-commander Horst Kerman who can finally visit Almaz 2 in his Hermes shuttle ;)

Spoiler

Iq3TXKb.png

10 minutes ago, Jeb Jawkins said:

Give me an idiot-patch if I should have known this but what I've found out is this:

I noticed that only science-parts (no matter of which mod) cause a negativ mass when added to an inventory. BUT: They only do if I directly pull them from the parts tab. If I do drop them somewhere in the VAB first and drag them into any inventory from there, the mass adds up correctly. And, because of that, rockets don't get stuck on the pad anymore. No such thing when adding any part from any other category to inventories. I've checked any Kerbalism-config regarding science but didn't find any hint there so far.

Good find. I've never heard of that problem with KIS and I know I've put science parts in KIS inventories before.

@Tonka Crash

I'm sorry for putting this into the wrong topic. But my, obviously wrong, observations took me here. I am now going to check KIS and DMagic forums because it might be something there. Also Kerbalism will be worth another check. Maybe this can contribute to future updates so that I did not waste your time.

Thousands of Thanks!

7 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

@Jeb Jawkins The video I posted above was my test of the problem part that led to @Lisias banning structural tubes from tweakscale.

Temporary measure, I promise. Sooner or later (place your bets on latet, however), they will be supported. :)

2 hours ago, Jeb Jawkins said:

@Tonka Crasho

I noticed that only science-parts (no matter of which mod) cause a negativ mass when added to an inventory. BUT: They only do if I directly pull them from the parts tab. If I do drop them somewhere in the VAB first and drag them into any inventory from there, the mass adds up correctly. And, because of that, rockets don't get stuck on the pad anymore.

That was a finding! 

Could you please send me your KSP.log and Module Managre caches?

If possible,  here:

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/TweakScale/issues/42

Your help will be hugely appreciated!