[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

3 hours ago, whale_2 said:

So did you try the WorldStabilizer?

I had not. Now I have. The first two times I loaded that Minmus base it worked well - less jumping and no broken links. 3rd time was loading a quicksave after a clipping error (which was predicted hence the quicksave...) broke something I was working on. Loading the quicksave, each of 4 times, resulted in breaking some connections violently and sending 3 components with about 1/10 the mass of my base chaotically dancing about in the sky then hitting the ground and exploding. Removing the mod allowed me to reload the quicksave with only the usual broken off connectors sitting centimeters from where they should be attached...

Is there a more stretchy connection than the resource transfer link? Or a mod that eliminates oscillations, or makes connection strength infinite. Or, is there somewhere I can edit the cfg files to make the links able to be stretched a lot without breaking or applying a strong restoring force (spring constant?) Thanks

Edit - so Now I understand what was going on, just not why. Each time I reload it the "ground" attached parts are stuck in midair - a bit higher each time. Detaching them from the ground has made it; well not stable as such but much more stable. It just kind of jiggles a bit then settles down. No 100m/s oscillations

Edited by Antstar

2 hours ago, Antstar said:

Edit - so Now I understand what was going on, just not why. Each time I reload it the "ground" attached parts are stuck in midair - a bit higher each time. Detaching them from the ground has made it; well not stable as such but much more stable. It just kind of jiggles a bit then settles down. No 100m/s oscillations

Can you please elaborate on attached/detached state? Maybe some screenshots. It could be that I have something to fix.

8 hours ago, whale_2 said:

Can you please elaborate on attached/detached state? Maybe some screenshots. It could be that I have something to fix.

Yeah I can backup my save and replicate it, though only when its a meter or two off the ground. The third time all hell breaks loose. I also have kinda a lot of mods, including having gutted a few to balance the experience for myself. Can you please tell me where I can upload an image file (preferably without an account) as I do not use image hosting sites and cannot upload directly to the forum. Thanks :wink:

12 hours ago, IgorZ said:

I'd be greatly surprised if 600m connection will be stable. 40m is usually enough to accumulate enough parasite forces to get the links broken. If you really want this long link, try using winches instead. Their links are flexible, and they are not affected by the issue.

I kind of figured that KSP may not like this, though, in theory, if they are anchored to the ground the parasite forces will be distributed across say 20 ground pylons, 30m apart. So only the ends are floppy. But this kind of relies on the pylons staying in the right place and not tearing loose either. I need my base and solar farm on the Greater Plains and my water drilling in the Lowlands...

Okay, Ill give winches a go. But I thought that they can only connect between the same vessel though? Resource transfer is not a problem, I have allowed flow through any part.

17 minutes ago, Antstar said:

I kind of figured that KSP may not like this, though, in theory, if they are anchored to the ground the parasite forces will be distributed across say 20 ground pylons, 30m apart. So only the ends are floppy. But this kind of relies on the pylons staying in the right place and not tearing loose either. I need my base and solar farm on the Greater Plains and my water drilling in the Lowlands...

Okay, Ill give winches a go. But I thought that they can only connect between the same vessel though? Resource transfer is not a problem, I have allowed flow through any part.

1. Have you noticed my propose to use the winches?
  2. For the files share see the troubleshooting guide.

51 minutes ago, Antstar said:

in theory, if they are anchored to the ground the parasite forces will be distributed across say 20 ground pylons

Nope. They will accumulate. KSP doesn't implement a real physics, it's a very rough approximation. You'd be surprised to know how not real the physics is in the game.

Edited by IgorZ

3 hours ago, Antstar said:

Yeah I can backup my save and replicate it, though only when its a meter or two off the ground. The third time all hell breaks loose. I also have kinda a lot of mods, including having gutted a few to balance the experience for myself. Can you please tell me where I can upload an image file (preferably without an account) as I do not use image hosting sites and cannot upload directly to the forum. Thanks :wink:

I guess I know the reason. I somehow missed attached state in KAS pylons and ground blocks. I'll address this in WorldStabilizer soon.

On 1/9/2018 at 9:20 PM, Antstar said:

Please try 0.8.1

Edited by whale_2
0.8.0 -> 0.8.1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, SlickStretch said:

Hello! I'm having some trouble with the winches. Whenever I try to attach the grapple or harpoon to the winch while on EVA, it will only attach backwards. It seems to be attaching to the winch housing and not the cable. When I click "eject" the cable ejects without the attachment, which remains on the winch.

Update KIS. This issue is fixed in KIS 1.9, and you're on 1.7.

And just FYI: how to properly share the right game's log  :) 

7 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

@SlickStretch, I'm sorry but I had to delete your post. The text was so large it was causing page load errors. Please upload the file to a sharing site and use the link they provide here. 

Oh, my bad. Mulligan.

I'm having some trouble with the winches. Whenever I try to attach the grapple or harpoon to the winch while on EVA, it will only attach backwards. It seems to be attaching to the winch housing and not the cable. When I click "eject" the cable ejects without the attachment, which remains on the winch.

Here's a video I made of the issue.

Here's my log.

14 hours ago, IgorZ said:

For the CKAN issues I'd suggest you asking on their forum thread, I cannot help here. Try removing and installing the mod back, may be it will help.

Yeah, I tried removing and reinstalling the mod via CKAN and there seems to be no change. Strange that both CKAN and KSP.log say I have KIS 1.9 but output_log.txt reports KIS 1.7.

I will try to figure out what may be going wrong with CKAN. I'll get back to you afterwards.

Thanks.

Edited by SlickStretch
grammar

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, SuperXico said:

hey guys!

I lost the blue attachment nods here...

Before

After

Any reason why this happened?

It could be changed part config (no nodes) or some mods conflict that prevents KIS from showing this nodes. Try checking the logs for the errors.

I did install the latest version right now and... can someone explain me, why I do have so many options on the CC-R2 ports? When nothing is connected and nobody is near it, I do have an "unplug" active and... when I'm coming closer with a Kerbal I do have "link" (that's the one I understand) and a "Plug (docked)" "Plug (undocked)" and stuff like that... what is that? is there a difference between those modes? ... sorry, I didn't find any documents on that and I didn't want to read the code ... not today... maybe tomorrow :rolleyes: ... so, what's the idea of those options?

Ah... see... this comes from 2 modules... would you say, that's... wanted? ... or ... maybe (just a little bit) ... something ... like a "mini" bug? :P

Edited by Rudolf Meier