IgorZ

[1.7.3] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.4 - NOT COMPATIBLE WITH KSP 1.7.0

Recommended Posts

On 7/8/2016 at 3:27 PM, BainDrago said:

I have been running into problems lately with KAS, and I'm not sure if it is a KAS bug or mod conflict. 

When I try to grab or attach anything in EVA, nothing happens when I left-click on the part. I have tried different Kerbals on different ships with both screwdriver and wrenches. I first noticed this problem a few days ago after adding some new mods.  The problem stopped when I removed Surface Experiment Pack. Now it has come back again after another round of new mods, however, this time removing them hasn't solved it. 

Has anyone seen this problem? Is there a workaround?  Please help!  KAS is one of my critical must-have mods!

Log File: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48757622/KSP.log

I see a lot of weird errors in the log, and none of them KIS/KAS related. I'd suggest completely dropping anything from GameData (except folder "Squad", of course). Then, re-install all the mod you think are working fine. At the very least mod DistantObject doesn't seem to work but it can be due to other problems:

[EXC 23:17:18.603] FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'DistantObject, Version=1.5.4.21166, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
13 minutes ago, danet88 said:

I do have a query regarding attaching objects that is KAS/KIS related. I understand that in order to attach an object from an inventory you need 1 Kerbal per ton. My problem come when I want to attach parts where more than 6 Kerbals will be involved as space starts to get limited. I'm wondering if I'm potentially missing a game mechanic? If a crane was involved using winches and such and a heavier object moved into place to the point where it is very close to the attachment node, is it possible to connect it using fewer Kerbals given its proximity?

For now it's not supported. "Very close" in terms of KSP mechanics is a very vague term. Construction a base that consists of bulky (and heavy) parts is yet to be designed. For now you can adjust mass limit to handle that heavy objects via "grabMaxMass" setting in KIS configuration file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Undecided said:

I'm having a bit of an issue, and wondering if anyone has encountered anything similar?

I'm trying to tie a ship to an asteoid that it has already "docked" with using a grappler arm. The arm alone isn't sturdy enough to withstand the stress of engines pushing the asteroid, so I'm trying to reinforce it with KAS/KIS struts.

The first strut I attach works fine. However, the 2nd one I attach seems to cause the entire ship to break off (the first strut pair unlinks, and the arm no long has an attachment to an asteroid and the ship floats away). The arm's strength is usually more than large to withstand the stress of the ship being idle.

Anyone know what might be causing this use?

Do you use any non-stock parts in the base setup? Also, we need logs to figure out what's wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to be starting a new career and would like to use this mod.

Are there any known bugs with this mod that affect the current version of KSP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Daveroski said:

I am going to be starting a new career and would like to use this mod.

Are there any known bugs with this mod that affect the current version of KSP?

https://github.com/KospY/KAS/issues

None seem too recent, but obviously he can tell you more. I wouldn't worry too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IgorZ said:

I see a lot of weird errors in the log, and none of them KIS/KAS related. I'd suggest completely dropping anything from GameData (except folder "Squad", of course). Then, re-install all the mod you think are working fine. At the very least mod DistantObject doesn't seem to work but it can be due to other problems:


[EXC 23:17:18.603] FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'DistantObject, Version=1.5.4.21166, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

 

Thanks for the reply.

I also noticed all the junk in the log from the Distant Objects Enhancements mod.  That mod appears to be working fine, unless it has something to do with Scatterer's broken sun flares.

Regarding the issue at hand with KAS, after trying to take out individual mods one at a time (close game, delete mod, restart), I wasn't having any luck, so I gave up for the night.  The next day, when I loaded up KSP after a cold boot of the computer, the problem was gone.  Attachments and grabs were working fine again.  Bizarre... Someone on Facebook suggested it could be an issue using a trackpad versus a mouse.  I am playing on a Macbook Pro and sometimes I use the trackpad, sometimes a USB wireless mouse.  If I encounter this issue again, I will make a note of more of the circumstances. 

This is such a great mod.  I would have to completely re-think my KSP career strategy if it were to crap out on me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Do you use any non-stock parts in the base setup? Also, we need logs to figure out what's wrong.

I reloaded a previous save and it worked itself out. Must have just been a random bug.

By the way, I've been wondering, is there any significant difference in terms of game mechanics between using KAS struts and harpoons to tether objects? I know struts are stronger and fixed, but what about attached harpoons? Do their cables function as structures that snap under stress, or do they have the ability to "give slack" rather than break if you pull too hard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Undecided said:

By the way, I've been wondering, is there any significant difference in terms of game mechanics between using KAS struts and harpoons to tether objects? I know struts are stronger and fixed, but what about attached harpoons? Do their cables function as structures that snap under stress, or do they have the ability to "give slack" rather than break if you pull too hard?

Struts and harpoons play different role. Strut connects two pieces together while harpoon is just a pear for the winch cable. The resulting strength of the connection depends on the components involved. For struts it's 2 x ports plus the strength of the connecting pipe. For harpoon it's harpoon's static attach force, plus winch head attach force, plus cable strength, plus winch attach strength.

Cables are technically flexible but with the settings in the common KAS components you may think it's fixed. Cable strength in the stock winches is 50,000 newtons, so the joints will break long before the cable starts stretching. You may change this value in the part's config. KAS 1.0 will have a flexible connection, the connection that connects two vessels but doesn't apply significant structural forces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Muahahahaha!

 

I'm partially ashamed of myself here, @IgorZ.  I never thought to buffer my rescue claw with something and then it hit me last night.

After some tweaking, I present you with an operational heli-rescue winch assembly.

 

SARdine_zps7n87gke5.png

 

Everything else is piloting skill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 1:00 PM, BainDrago said:

Thanks for the reply.

I also noticed all the junk in the log from the Distant Objects Enhancements mod.  That mod appears to be working fine, unless it has something to do with Scatterer's broken sun flares.

Regarding the issue at hand with KAS, after trying to take out individual mods one at a time (close game, delete mod, restart), I wasn't having any luck, so I gave up for the night.  The next day, when I loaded up KSP after a cold boot of the computer, the problem was gone.  Attachments and grabs were working fine again.  Bizarre... Someone on Facebook suggested it could be an issue using a trackpad versus a mouse.  I am playing on a Macbook Pro and sometimes I use the trackpad, sometimes a USB wireless mouse.  If I encounter this issue again, I will make a note of more of the circumstances. 

This is such a great mod.  I would have to completely re-think my KSP career strategy if it were to crap out on me.

So, I made an interesting discovery with the help of some others on Facebook regarding this issue.  The problem seems to revolve around the trackpad on my MacBook Pro. 

Last night I was playing with a USB mouse.  When I tried to grab/attach by clicking with the trackpad, it didn't work again.  However, clicking with the USB mouse DID work.  Same game instance, save game, etc.  Someone else on FB experienced the same issue.

I have no other noticeable issues anywhere else in KSP using the trackpad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AdmiralTigerclaw said:

I'm partially ashamed of myself here, @IgorZ.  I never thought to buffer my rescue claw with something and then it hit me last night.

After some tweaking, I present you with an operational heli-rescue winch assembly.

Congrats! You did it :)

5 hours ago, BainDrago said:

So, I made an interesting discovery with the help of some others on Facebook regarding this issue.  The problem seems to revolve around the trackpad on my MacBook Pro. 

Last night I was playing with a USB mouse.  When I tried to grab/attach by clicking with the trackpad, it didn't work again.  However, clicking with the USB mouse DID work.  Same game instance, save game, etc.  Someone else on FB experienced the same issue.

I have no other noticeable issues anywhere else in KSP using the trackpad.

Strange behavior on Macs were reported before, and I believe it happens due to the following reason. Alas, I have no MacBook with KSP at hand to investigate the behavior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is placement grid snap a thing with KAS like in the VAB/SPH? My ports are sloppily arranged on my pylons!

Edited by THX1138

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2016 at 8:45 PM, THX1138 said:

Is placement grid snap a thing with KAS like in the VAB/SPH? My ports are sloppily arranged on my pylons!

Do you mean placing KAS ports using KIS? If yes then snapping/symmetry is not supported.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having a weird issue with activating solar panels and antennas I've attached. They think they're stowed so they don't deploy. What do I do about that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, killbotvii said:

I'm having a weird issue with activating solar panels and antennas I've attached. They think they're stowed so they don't deploy. What do I do about that?

"Weird issue" is not exactly a description of the problem. We need a detailed description of the behavior, screenshots, and debug logs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have much more info than that. I'll attach a solar panel or antenna and it refuses to deploy with a message saying that they can't deploy when stowed. I'll post screenshots shortly. As for the debug logs, you mean from the standard logs file, right? I hope I'm not being annoying at all with this.

Edited by killbotvii

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, killbotvii said:

I don't have much more info than that. I'll attach a solar panel or antenna and it refuses to deploy with a message saying that they can't deploy when stowed. I'll post screenshots shortly. As for the debug logs, you mean from the standard logs file, right? I hope I'm not being annoying at all with this.

Are you using a fairing, and if so, is it a stock fairing?

See the instructions here for how to find the right log file:
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I unlinked two KAS ports and the pipe, instead of disappearing, shifted to the girder to which the port was attached. Removing the port did not remove the pipe. The other end of the pipe appears to be attached to a third port which is already linked to a fourth port. The screenshots here show the issue:

http://imgur.com/a/E4emT

Link to the save file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2cekreuecd5p1gl/screwedup KAS ports.sfs?dl=0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WildLynx said:

It's well known stock "stowed" bug. We all really hate it.

Solution:

Bring in an Engineer with wrench.

Disconnect Solar Array or Antenna, quickly extend them while the free floating, and even more quickly bolt them back. Some training required.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a problem with KAS pipe ports.

Sometimes, on craft load, ports that were already connected earlier:

- look disconnected - no pipe. and

- They do not function as fuel links either. and

- But EVA click shows that they are "connected".

Note: Ship is old, pre 1.1.3.

workaround:

Bring in an engineer, disconnect all the pipe connectors and reconnect them.

Whatever they will stay connected or not on next load depends on your luck.

Thanks for the help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit of a newbie question here. Given all the tools placed at your disposal by the KAS/KIS system, what's the most effective way of securing structures to a planet's surface? My idea is to help prevent accidental shifting due objects due to them getting bumped, and the consequent clipping/collision explosions on load this can cause, and (hopefully) improve game performance by making large bases subject to fewer forces acting on it. 

Any ideas on which items (harpoons+winches, ground pylons+struts, grapplers) work best for this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2016 at 3:32 PM, Undecided said:

Bit of a newbie question here. Given all the tools placed at your disposal by the KAS/KIS system, what's the most effective way of securing structures to a planet's surface? My idea is to help prevent accidental shifting due objects due to them getting bumped, and the consequent clipping/collision explosions on load this can cause, and (hopefully) improve game performance by making large bases subject to fewer forces acting on it. 

Any ideas on which items (harpoons+winches, ground pylons+struts, grapplers) work best for this?

Best approach so far is landing structures on the surface and connecting them using winches. If you absolutely need attaching your structure to the surface be sure to not making many attach points and keeping distance between the attach points as short as possible. On the long structures stress forces accumulate very fast and you may find your base exploded on load if it's too long.

12 hours ago, danielboro said:

hello

id like to know wat it takes to make a mod part compatible whit kas

Start from here. Though, if you're not in hurry I'd suggest you to wait 1-2 months to let KAS 1.0 to release. This version is specifically designed for the better modding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think the A(Attachment) in KAS got me to the wrong mod
after reading the wiki and then reading the one for KIS i think KIS is the one i wanted (how to get a part to attach/removed by a kerbal)
ill do sum experiments

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 17, 2016 at 10:09 AM, WildLynx said:

It's well known stock "stowed" bug. We all really hate it.

Solution:

Bring in an Engineer with wrench.

Disconnect Solar Array or Antenna, quickly extend them while the free floating, and even more quickly bolt them back. Some training required.

I am going to submit that this may not be a bug but a feature. Real life computing (among other things) is sometimes like this. :confused:

Perhaps there needs to also be a percussive maintenance capability along side the unplugging it and reinserting/plugging/powering it step. 

As a future request, can we get Bill hit it things with his wrench? Perhaps even have said percussive maintanance have the net effect of power cycling the object struck?  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2016 at 7:27 AM, killbotvii said:

I don't have much more info than that. I'll attach a solar panel or antenna and it refuses to deploy with a message saying that they can't deploy when stowed. I'll post screenshots shortly. As for the debug logs, you mean from the standard logs file, right? I hope I'm not being annoying at all with this.

Do you use FAR mod? If yes then you're probably hit by this bug. There is a workaround solution described in the bug, and it's that simple: do "detach/attach" instead of "move".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Best approach so far is landing structures on the surface and connecting them using winches. If you absolutely need attaching your structure to the surface be sure to not making many attach points and keeping distance between the attach points as short as possible. On the long structures stress forces accumulate very fast and you may find your base exploded on load if it's too long.

I was under the impression planets counted as separate objects, so you couldn't use struts to attach bases to them.

And a follow up question, are winches also the preferred method of tethering structures to asteroids as well? I've tried using struts, which seem to totally eliminate all wobble, but are very easy to shatter (I typically have to run asteroid engines are <20% speed to prevent shattering). I was wary of attempting to use winches and hooks because I was worried I'd get amplifying wobble/oscillation if they weren't as rigid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.