[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

6 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

so am I hearing right, KAS isn't working right in 1.7.1 currently?  i was trying real hard to connect an RT-1 to one of those connector ports (the new one) and it just.. would not.  so... just wait for the update, then?

Correct, it's not working. No ETA for the fix so far.

5 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Tell me about...

Watching many time until I stop laughing and start to feel sorry for Bill. 

However you saved me, planned to do plenty of KAS work on the base once linked. Adding lightning on tower, freeing an crane on the miner and some other stuff. 

KAS Problems appear to be fixed in KSP 1.7.2 with KAS 1.4

I'm leaving this here for reference.

I'm posting this for the few daring individuals that don't mind buggy mods. There is a partial fix for KAS to re-enable the hose/winch connections with BG installed, but it comes with some caveats:

1. This is completely unsupported, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. 
  2. It's not a complete fix. KAS still has issues on 1.7.1.
  3. If you can wait for a real fix you probably should.
  4. If you can't figure out how to apply the fix, this probably isn't for you.
  5. Don't pester @IgorZ about this fix he's not supporting it.
  6. There is no ETA for a KAS update for 1.7.1

So far the biggest problem that I've found is that any ship that has any of the winch type parts (RTS-1, PCB-1, winches) will break the VAB if you revert the launch. This was found a few days ago where KAS seemed to work without BG installed.

When you you revert to the VAB you can't click on your ship or any part in the VAB. It just throws exceptions in the log. If you leave the VAB to the Space Center and reenter the VAB  everything seems to be back to normal. 

EDIT: IgorZ found a workaround for the revert problem (Fix #2 below). It's still not a total fix for KAS issues, it's looking like Squad needs to modify some of the code changes they made in 1.7.1 for that to really happen.

This adds nodes to some of the KAS parts that shouldn't be there. DO NOT USE these new nodes to attach other parts in the VAB. These are supposed to be hidden in the VAB and are used by KAS in it's linking process. The hidden nature was creating problems in 1.7.1. An update to KSP will be needed to truly fix this, i.e. 1.7.2. IgorZ has been in contact with Squad about the issue. Again: No ETA is known.

If you use this, I don't really know what will happen once KAS is finally fixed. This fix may screw up the save such that removing it is difficult if not impossible. It may be every KAS part would have to be deleted from the save. NO ONE KNOWS. I'm going to be a guinea pig and run with it in a career game I started on 1.7.1, so if everything goes sideways I'm not losing a lot.

I am trying to make this sound as scary as possible because neither IgorZ or I want to be responsible if these fixes break your game.

Another minor problem I've found is sending a female Kerbal EVA in the new BG suit will throw errors in the log, but doesn't seem to create any other problems. It only happens with the female suit. This one has nothing to do with the parts on the ship, but happens with just having KAS installed on 1.7.1. The Future Suit model has issues that Squad needs to fix.

These may not be the only problems, which is why I say you should wait for a real fix if you can.  No one knows for sure what is going on yet or what other problems are yet to be found. Something significant seems to have changed in core game code. IgorZ has spent time trying to debug KAS but has been unsuccessful so far. There is still no ETA for a real fix but it looks like it will depend on Squad patching some things on their end for a 1.7.2 update. 

Still interested?  

Fix 1) Re-enables KAS connections: NOW INCLUDED IN KAS 1,4

Edit: KAS/Patches/MM-Kerbals.cfg

Change the first line from:

@PART[kerbalEVA*]

To match:

@PART[kerbalEVA*]:HAS[@MODULE[KerbalEVA]]

Fix 2) Allows Vessels to revert to VAB  FIXED with KAS 1.4 in KSP 1.7.2

Save the following to KAS/Patches/MM-temp-fix.cfg.  (Please use this path, so that in the future it's easy to find and remove)

@PART[KAS.RTS1]
{
	node_stack_kasSrcAuto0 = #$MODULE[KASLinkResourceConnector]/attachNodeDef$
}

@PART[KAS.TJ1|KAS.TJ2|KAS.TB60|KAS.PCB1]
{
	node_stack_kasSrcAuto0 = #$MODULE[KASLinkSourceInteractive]/attachNodeDef$
}

@PART[KAS.CH1]
{
	node_stack_kasTgtAuto0 = #$MODULE[KASLinkTargetBase]/attachNodeDef$
}

If you need more than that, you probably shouldn't be attempting this. I got these fixes from IgorZ, but he doesn't want to deal with supporting a half broken KAS. I'll do what I can, so he can concentrate on fixing KAS.

---------------- New (June 9th) ----------------

Repairing glitched connections:

Related to Fix #1 or KAS 1.4 - some of your RTS-1s may have been left in a unusable state if you tried  using them before patching. Thanks to @SkyRender there is a fix. You need to edit your persistent.sfs to reset the affected parts. I'd recommend making a backup copy of the persistent.sfs before attempting this:

Only the Parts that are malfunctioning need to be edited to match the following inside the module KASLinkResourceConnector. Changing all of them in your save will break any existing connections.

persistedLinkState = Available
persistedLinkPartId = 0
persistedLinkNodeName =

I find it easiest to first find the Vessel node the affected part and then search through the parts of that vessel for the problem area. The example below highlights the areas to look for in your file:

VESSEL
		{
			pid = 199838636be14565a6c58ee1c9e57220
			persistentId = 2490636889
			name = Mun Farside Base
			...[snip]...
			PART
			{
				name = KAS.RTS1
				...[snip]...
				MODULE
				{
					name = KASLinkResourceConnector
					isEnabled = True
					persistedIsConnectorLocked = True
					persistedLinkState = Available
					persistedLinkPartId = 0
					persistedLinkNodeName = 
					stagingEnabled = True

Edited by Tonka Crash
More Info; KAS 1.4 update; Glitch fix

9 minutes ago, The_8_Bit_Zombie said:

Is there a specific part of Breaking Ground that is causing this issue? Because if so another possible (temporary) solution would just be to delete that part of the DLC, although that may be a really bad idea.

It's the 1.7.1 executable. One of the first things I did when I saw problems was to delete the DLC. Something changed in the code that is causing problems with KAS. It's not any specific part.

42 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

It's the 1.7.1 executable. One of the first things I did when I saw problems was to delete the DLC. Something changed in the code that is causing problems with KAS. It's not any specific part.

Ah good to know. I'll probably just delete the DLC as well then.

2 minutes ago, The_8_Bit_Zombie said:

Ah good to know. I'll probably just delete the DLC as well then.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I have the DLC installed currently I only did that for testing. I saw that the problems were there with or without the DLC so I reinstalled it.  Both MH and BG DLC packs only install parts and art assets. The actual code to make use of them is installed as part of the base game even if you never bought the DLC. So the KAS issues are inherent to the 1.7.1 version of the game.

1 minute ago, Tonka Crash said:

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I have the DLC installed currently I only did that for testing. I saw that the problems were there with or without the DLC so I reinstalled it.  Both MH and BG DLC packs only install parts and art assets. The actual code to make use of them is installed as part of the base game even if you never bought the DLC. So the KAS issues are inherent to the 1.7.1 version of the game.

Ah my bad. Thanks for the clarification.

On 6/6/2019 at 4:47 AM, Tonka Crash said:

I'm posting this for the few daring individuals that don't mind buggy mods. There is a partial fix for KAS to re-enable the hose/winch connections with BG installed, but it comes with some caveats:

1. This is completely unsupported, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. 
  2. It's not a complete fix. KAS still has issues on 1.7.1.
  3. If you can wait for a real fix you probably should.
  4. If you can't figure out how to apply the fix, this probably isn't for you.
  5. Don't pester @IgorZ about this fix he's not supporting it.
  6. There is no ETA for a KAS update for 1.7.1

So far the biggest problem that I've found is that any ship that has any of the winch type parts (RTS-1, PCB-1, winches) will break the VAB if you revert the launch. This was found a few days ago where KAS seemed to work without BG installed.

When you you revert to the VAB you can't click on your ship or any part in the VAB. It just throws exceptions in the log. If you leave the VAB to the Space Center and reenter the VAB  everything seems to be back to normal. 

Another problem I've found is sending a female Kerbal EVA in the new BG suit will throw errors in the log, but doesn't seem to create any other problems. It only happens with the female suit. This one has nothing to do with the parts on the ship, but happens with just having KAS installed on 1.7.1.

These may not be the only problems, which is why I say you should wait for a real fix if you can. No one knows for sure what is going on yet or what other problems are yet to be found. Something significant seems to have changed in core game code. IgorZ has spent time trying to debug KAS but has been unsuccessful so far. There is still no ETA for a real fix. 

Still interested?  

Edit: KAS/Patches/MM-Kerbals.cfg. 

Change the first line from:

@PART[kerbalEVA*]

To match:

Save the file and start KSP

If you need more than that, you probably shouldn't be attempting this. I got this fix from IgorZ, but he doesn't want to deal with supporting a half broken KAS. I'll do what I can, so he can concentrate on fixing KAS.

If you post a dumb question about why is the VAB broken after applying this fix, don't expect a polite response.

Thank you very much for your kindly solution.

But I may have misunderstood your description.

I have amended the file  KAS/Patches/MM-Kerbals.cfg  as follows. (Pay attention to the first line)

{
	MODULE
	{
		name = KASLinkTargetKerbal

// AbstractLinkPeer
		linkType = MdCable
		attachNodeName = kasAutoBackpack0
		attachNodeDef = 0,0,0, 0,0,0  // It will be adjusted to the bone anyways.

// KASLinkTargetKerbal
		equipBoneName = **/bn_jetpack01	
		equipPosAndRot = 0,0.049,-0.09, 190,0,0
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = KASLinkTargetKerbal

// AbstractLinkPeer
		linkType = MdHose
		attachNodeName = kasAutoBackpack0
		attachNodeDef = 0,0,0, 0,0,0  // It will be adjusted to the bone anyways.

// KASLinkTargetKerbal
		equipBoneName = **/bn_jetpack01	
		equipPosAndRot = 0,0.049,-0.09, 190,0,0
	}
}

But I still cannot grab the RTS-1and its display “Source is not available for a link”.

Forgive my folly. Did I make it mistake?

Or can you be kind to show me  the revised full text?

Thank you for your kindness and  waiting for reply With profound respect and humility.

Edited by ygch

1 hour ago, ygch said:
But I may have misunderstood your description.

This may sound rude, but this may not be for you and you may need to wait for an official update. These fixes are really for users that are comfortable editing game config files and understand that doing so may break their game.

1 hour ago, ygch said:
But I still cannot grab the RTS-1,  and its display “Source is not available for a link”.

The file you posted is correct. It's identical to what I have on my computer. If it is not working you have other issues. Are you running KSP 1.7.1 or 1.7? Do you have Module Manager installed? 

To figure out anything more I would need to see your KSP.Log and your ModuleManager.ConfigCache. Post them to a file hosting site (dropbox or something similar) and post a link here.

1.4 (June 7th, 2019):

• [Change] Update ES-ES localization.
  • [Enhancement] Use icon of better resolution in the editor to avoid blurring.
  • [Fix #271] KSP 1.7.1 breaks grabbing connectors from winch type parts.

PLEASE READ!

The new version doesn't fix some issues:

1. The launch revert issue.
  2. Bad alignment of the connectors on the new female suite (plus, some errors in logs). As long as you don't modify KAS, this issue is minor. It can be critical in the other cases though. Avoid using the new suites for a while if you don't want to be hit by this problem.

These two issues need to be addressed in the core game. They were discussed with the Squad team. That's all I can tell on the subject. Let's patiently wait for KSP 1.7.2 and see if the situation improved.

Thanks to @Tonka Crash, there is a solution for those who absolutely can't wait (read his post above with the patches).

Edited by IgorZ

14 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

This may sound rude, but this may not be for you and you may need to wait for an official update. These fixes are really for users that are comfortable editing game config files and understand that doing so may break their game.

The file you posted is correct. It's identical to what I have on my computer. If it is not working you have other issues. Are you running KSP 1.7.1 or 1.7? Do you have Module Manager installed? 

To figure out anything more I would need to see your KSP.Log and your ModuleManager.ConfigCache. Post them to a file hosting site (dropbox or something similar) and post a link here.

Thank you very much for your timely and patient reply.

It seems difficult to me.

So I think it's a good time to give Kermans a holiday.

Again, thank you very much for your kind reply,  and best wish to @IgorZ for the Excellent Mods.  

Thanks @IgorZ. KAS is one of the most important and needed mods out there, your effort to keep it current is much apreciated by me and thousands of other people, I'm sure.

Everytime a new point-something is about to be released, I voice my concern with mod compatibility. And everytime some "expert" will show up with a "new verisons dont break mods" type of comment. Guess now I'll go quote-digging in my notifications list and give some people a piece of my mind. With evidence, not only KAS but others.

8 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Thanks @IgorZ. KAS is one of the most important and needed mods out there, your effort to keep it current is much apreciated by me and thousands of other people, I'm sure.

Everytime a new point-something is about to be released, I voice my concern with mod compatibility. And everytime some "expert" will show up with a "new verisons dont break mods" type of comment. Guess now I'll go quote-digging in my notifications list and give some people a piece of my mind. With evidence, not only KAS but others.

I run 200+ mods.  1.7.1 broke maybe 10 of them, probably less.  Admittedly, a couple were very important mods - but the vast majority of mods don't break on most updates, and we've been asked by the moderators to not bug mod makers about updates.  So it's best to assume it works unless your experience is different, and post problem reports with actual info when they do break.  It's just polite.

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

I run 200+ mods.  1.7.1 broke maybe 10 of them, probably less.  Admittedly, a couple were very important mods - but the vast majority of mods don't break on most updates, and we've been asked by the moderators to not bug mod makers about updates.  So it's best to assume it works unless your experience is different, and post problem reports with actual info when they do break.  It's just polite.

@DStaal  I think you, and possibly @Tonka Crash too, misunderstood me. Or rather, I think its more likely that I expressed myself badly. I am not complaining about this or any other mod, and much less I am bugging any mod maker.

What I meant was, this past few weeks I made several remarks in several mod threads about issues arising from the new KSP version - tastefully, me thinks. My beef is that many random people showed up (not the actual mod maker) to debate that there is no such thing as a new KSP version creating issues with mods, which is ludicrous - it affected several mods, some rather relevant like this one. That's all I was talking about, if perhaps a bit inaptly.

Serves me right for writing on my mobile and not thinking through my wording.

39 minutes ago, Daniel Prates said:

@DStaal  I think you, and possibly @Tonka Crash too, misunderstood me. Or rather, I think its more likely that I expressed myself badly. I am not complaining about this or any other mod, and much less I am bugging any mod maker.

What I meant was, this past few weeks I made several remarks in several mod threads about issues arising from the new KSP version - tastefully, me thinks. My beef is that many random people showed up (not the actual mod maker) to debate that there is no such thing as a new KSP version creating issues with mods, which is ludicrous - it affected several mods, some rather relevant like this one. That's all I was talking about, if perhaps a bit inaptly.

Serves me right for writing on my mobile and not thinking through my wording.

@Daniel Prates I understand you, your post history is clear. I took your comments personally, as I am one of those random people that show up in random mod threads trying to help players understand that not every mod needs an update for every release. I've never seen anyone argue "there is no such thing as a new KSP version creating issues with mods,"  But, I've never seen you actually try to help anyone either.

Edit to add: Not saying it didn't happen, but if it did it's rare enough I never noticed.

Edited by Tonka Crash