[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

I've started playing around with this and am having problems figuring out the winch, it's not displaying the extend and retract cable buttons when I right click it.

KAS 0.6.4 from ckan

KSP 1.4.4 linux.

4 hours ago, se5a said:

I've started playing around with this and am having problems figuring out the winch, it's not displaying the extend and retract cable buttons when I right click it.

KAS 0.6.4 from ckan

KSP 1.4.4 linux.

You should be EVA in order to control it via the context menu.

2 hours ago, IgorZ said:

You should be EVA in order to control it via the context menu.

I was EVA.

I've seen mention of another window to control them too, which I can't find either. is that depreciated or?

Edit:

Ok strange, its appeared. when I was trying previously the winch rope was clipping through the ship, when I reoriented the ship the controls appeared.

I was not EVA when this happened, though I did have a kerbal clinging to the ladder near it, I was controlling the ship itself, when I switched back to the kerbal the controls disappeared.

Edited by se5a

9 hours ago, se5a said:

I was EVA.

I've seen mention of another window to control them too, which I can't find either. is that depreciated or?

Edit:

Ok strange, its appeared. when I was trying previously the winch rope was clipping through the ship, when I reoriented the ship the controls appeared.

I was not EVA when this happened, though I did have a kerbal clinging to the ladder near it, I was controlling the ship itself, when I switched back to the kerbal the controls disappeared.

I haven't used 0.6.4 for a year already, so forgot it a bit. So, the vessel the winch is attached to must be controllable. If it is, then you can operate the winch having this vessel active. From EVA you can only grab or lock the connector, regardless to the controllable state. It's completely different in KAS 1.0 which will be released soon. If you haven't used KAS before, I'd suggest you to switch to the new version.

41 minutes ago, se5a said:

all good, yeah I'll switch to the new KAS as soon as it's up on ckan :p

Expect it on CKAN next weekend. I'd release it this weekend, but I'll get disconnected from the Internet soon. For a week :) 

So sometimes I've had problems where I want to detach a part, but the tool is grayed out. it's not the root part, and the only other part that is attached is the root part (though that has other things attached)

fortunately it was light enough for me to 'g'rab and detach, but it wouldn't' let me just detach in-place.

I've also had a few things explode when I've placed them on the ground.

and I found that attaching a wheel to a lynx rover while it's 'jacked up' using landing struts can cause the struts to suddenly explode.

this is still all the old version though.

5 hours ago, se5a said:

So sometimes I've had problems where I want to detach a part, but the tool is grayed out. it's not the root part, and the only other part that is attached is the root part (though that has other things attached)

Parts attachment/detachment is a functionality of KIS, not KAS.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the problem with the ESC button not bringing up the pause menu. This is due to KAS/KIS. Changing the keybinding doesn't work.

Or maybe there is a certain other mod that, in its antagonism with KAS/KIS, cancels out the ESC button. The button does work when using it for KAS/KIS reasons however - like cancelling out of the inventory interface.

I've seen this mentioned here and there but have never seen a definitive answer to the problem or a work around? Correct me if I'm missing something though! :rolleyes:

Edited by PataSolar

Hi all, is there a conversion chart or something that indicates how much parts weigh vs how much can be stored in containers or moved/carried by a kerbal??

For example, I have a part that is listed in the VAB as 1.097t (docking port) which, when I attempt to put into an inventory, shows as ~1000L. But what does that mean in terms of tons?

Thanks for your help (sorry if this has been answered in other posts)

On 8/9/2018 at 7:53 PM, PataSolar said:

Just wondering if anyone else has had the problem with the ESC button not bringing up the pause menu. This is due to KAS/KIS. Changing the keybinding doesn't work.

Or maybe there is a certain other mod that, in its antagonism with KAS/KIS, cancels out the ESC button. The button does work when using it for KAS/KIS reasons however - like cancelling out of the inventory interface.

I've seen this mentioned here and there but have never seen a definitive answer to the problem or a work around? Correct me if I'm missing something though! :rolleyes:

KAS/KIS can block UI keys in some cases. However, I'm not aware of any conflict situation when the ESC key is blocked in the normal flight. Can you reproduce it on launch pad with the minimum set of mods?

36 minutes ago, scottadges said:

Hi all, is there a conversion chart or something that indicates how much parts weigh vs how much can be stored in containers or moved/carried by a kerbal??

For example, I have a part that is listed in the VAB as 1.097t (docking port) which, when I attempt to put into an inventory, shows as ~1000L. But what does that mean in terms of tons?

Thanks for your help (sorry if this has been answered in other posts)

The mass of the detail is not really related to its volume. The volume is related to the part's geometry, and the mass is related to the material. Take a cube of 1x1x1 meters size made of steel - it will be very heavy and it's volume will be 1000 liters. Now, take a cube of the same size but made of wood - it will have much less mass, but the volume will be exactly the same. There is no easy way to know the volume in advance since it's not a stock game property. If you need to know it, simply try putting a part into the kerbal inventory - the message will tell you the real volume.

29 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

try putting a part into the kerbal inventory - the message will tell you the real volume.

Ah, OK that makes sense to me. It's not about the weight/mass but the volume it takes up. I've been using the inventory-placement trick as well, it gives me a general sense of how much can go in which containers.

Is this also related to the weight a kerbal can "lift" as far as detaching or attaching a part? I thought I read that 1 kerbal can "carry" 1 ton. So if something is 5 tons, it takes 5 kerbals (minimum 1 engineer, plus 4 other random kerbals) in order for the engineer to move it.

So I would surmise, from your comments above, that the volume of a part and the carry/lift weight are also not correlated?

Edited by scottadges

11 minutes ago, scottadges said:

So I would surmise, from your comments above, that the volume of a part and the carry/lift weight are also not correlated?

Correct. The volume defines what can fit into the container. And the mass defines what a single kerbal can do. One kerbal can only operate a thing which is not heavier than one ton, and the volume is not considered in this check. You can bring more kerbals to increase the mass limit, or you an increase it in the settings file ;)  The volume is a different thing and you cannot affect the limit: the part either fits the container or it doesn't.

21 minutes ago, scottadges said:

Ah, OK that makes sense to me. It's not about the weight/mass but the volume it takes up. I've been using the inventory-placement trick as well, it gives me a general sense of how much can go in which containers.

Is this also related to the weight a kerbal can "lift" as far as detaching or attaching a part? I thought I read that 1 kerbal can "carry" 1 ton. So if something is 5 tons, it takes 5 kerbals (minimum 1 engineer, plus 4 other random kerbals) in order for the engineer to move it.

Kinda like, a block of lead has more mass than a box with enough volume to hold it, so that box can hold it, but it takes more'n one person to carry it.

21 minutes ago, Supercheese said:

Although in microgravity in orbit, why should the mass limits matter?

Beyond game limitations, I think inertia still matters, so something more massive than the astronaut is still hard/impossible to move without things like the canadarm.

I guess it still would be much easier t move something in space even if its heavy. Astronauts from the Space Shuttle used to move satelites around by hand. (just a little nudge of course) Of course, the arm is much easier for precise movement to prevent the object of going crazy all around the place.

Oh, I would LOVE a canadarm. Is there some mod offering that? I tried to make one using infernal robotics, but there are issues. For one, the thing is incredibly wobbly when you lift something heavy. And the Kraken seems to mess parts up after a while, similar as with whole stations. They're offset and clipped into each other :-/