[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

On 4/6/2019 at 2:38 AM, IgorZ said:

As long as you don't use the legacy parts, it's safe to simply ignore this message. The legacy parts are known to not work good, but they are not supported and will be deprecated soon anyway. You can easily distinguish them by suffix "LEGACY" in the name.

ah thanks its working its just kinda annoying that ckan doesnt work so i have to install it manually

1 hour ago, des54321 said:

ah thanks its working its just kinda annoying that ckan doesnt work so i have to install it manually

Patience.  The NETKAN files have to be updated and then CKAN's bots have to scan for mod changes.  Although I've heard that CKAN is on a 6-hour cycle, it may have changed and there are lots of little steps that have to occur.  Subtle errors can prevent CKAN from recognizing an update.

2 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

I don't see it anywhere in my CKAN list?

Is it called something else other than "KAS"...?

Thanks!

It's listed as Kerbal Attachment System. CKAN has a webcrawler that runs every 3 hours according to this link. According to the CKAN status page KAS was indexed about an hour ago (from when I wrote this) and it is getting an error:

Too many .version files located: GameData/KAS/Plugins/KAS.version, GameData/KAS/Plugins/KSP-AVC.version

The KSP-AVC.version is new to 1.2, where previous versions only had the KAS.version which is still present. So, it looks like @IgorZ needs to clean up the release before CKAN will work.

1 hour ago, Tonka Crash said:

It's listed as Kerbal Attachment System. CKAN has a webcrawler that runs every 3 hours according to this link. According to the CKAN status page KAS was indexed about an hour ago (from when I wrote this) and it is getting an error:

Too many .version files located: GameData/KAS/Plugins/KAS.version, GameData/KAS/Plugins/KSP-AVC.version

The KSP-AVC.version is new to 1.2, where previous versions only had the KAS.version which is still present. So, it looks like @IgorZ needs to clean up the release before CKAN will work.

Thank you for doing this investigation! I've updated the archive, so let's see if CKAN will handle it.

did you remove the magnet? cause I can't find it after the new update...

p.s I just read the wiki... so dose the JS-1 Joint Socket works like the electro magnet now? cause that was very useful.

Edited by raptor30

There's an interaction between KAS 1.2 and Extraplanetary Launchpads 6.5.1 that causes EL to break when selecting a craft in the UI (definitely including a craft that does not have KAS parts).  I'm guessing it has to do with one or more of the deprecated parts.  Reverting to KAS 1.1 solves the problem.

5 hours ago, mbaryu said:

There's an interaction between KAS 1.2 and Extraplanetary Launchpads 6.5.1 that causes EL to break when selecting a craft in the UI (definitely including a craft that does not have KAS parts).  I'm guessing it has to do with one or more of the deprecated parts.  Reverting to KAS 1.1 solves the problem.

Have you posted in the EL thread? I have EL installed, but haven't gotten to the point of using it in my current game, so I'm not seeing problems yet.

I liked the old parts better and the new parts don’t work in the current version of my game

could you or someone else make a version of just the legacy parts I know connecting vessels without a cable doesn’t make sense but fuel crossfeed through a structural girder doesn’t make sense either 

in the wiki for "automatic legacy parts upgrade" .. it says the following

Make distinguished saves for any moment of your play! Quicksave is not the save. The persistentsave (the state at which you leave the game) is not a save at all. Never ever think about it as such!!! Before doing upgrade, ensure you have no progress pending in quicksave or persistent save. If you do, you'll lose it. This is not an exaggeration.

what does that even mean? i have never heard of a distinguised save, nor do i know how to make one.

second.. it says. 

Get the game patched

Here begins the unique KAS upgrade pipeline! It will replace the old parts with new ones. The exact choice may not be what you would choose, but you have no voice, sorry. The best thing you can do to make this process go smoothly is to detach all the outdated parts, as suggested above.

Save the patched game

Regardless to how the process went (there may be some or many errors thrown), save! But do it into a new file. And this file must not be quicksave or persistant.

but.. there wasn't any actual ... thing that happened there... where are the instructions actuall at?  (perhaps i am misunderstanding the word upgrade pipeline here?  .. am i really supsoed to JUST load the save, click OK on the errors and then SAVE again? if so , the instructions make it seem like tere is meant to be more steps than that.

third, i get errors from KSP that are not covered by the instructions, ... sure i see the Upgrade-v1.2-Confirmation.jpg messages, that is fine. but THEN i get messages that say "Vessel X is not loaded" and POOF .. the vessel is gone.. no upgrade is going to happen as the vessel has been Deleted from the save completely.  

help! :) thank you 

Edited by Fyrem

46 minutes ago, Fyrem said:

what does that even mean? i have never heard of a distinguised save, nor do i know how to make one.

I think he meant a 'distinct' save...one that is not a quicksave or a save on exit.  Alt+F5.

Edited by Brigadier
Grammar

@IgorZ Clean install of 1.7, mods installed from CKAN. In 1.7  it looks like the KAS.dll isn't being loaded  I have a coworker that gets the same exception and we have very different set of mods. KAS-API-v2.dll and KSP_Dev_Utils.1.2.dll don't have any errors.

During the AssemblyLoader:

[ERR 10:56:15.960] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'KAS': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'SaveUpgradePipeline.KAS.PatchFilesProcessor' from assembly 'KAS, Version=1.2.7037.1765, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

After Module Manager runs: 

[ERR 10:57:35.682] [ModuleManager] Post run call threw an exception in loading KAS, Version=1.2.7037.1765, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

[EXC 10:57:35.684] ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
	System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes ()
	ModuleManager.PostPatchLoader+<Run>d__16.MoveNext ()
	UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception)
	ModuleManager.Logging.UnityLogger:Exception(String, Exception)
	ModuleManager.Logging.ModLogger:Exception(String, Exception)
	ModuleManager.<Run>d__16:MoveNext()
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

Later on in the PartLoader there are several of these for the KAS parts:

[ERR 10:57:44.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASJointCableBase'
[ERR 10:57:44.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASJointRigid'
[ERR 10:57:44.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASJointTowBar'
[ERR 10:57:44.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASJointTwoEndsSphere'
[ERR 10:57:44.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASLinkResourceConnector'
[ERR 10:57:44.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASLinkSourceInteractive'
[ERR 10:57:44.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASLinkTargetBase'
[ERR 10:57:44.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASRendererPipe'
[ERR 10:57:44.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASRendererTelescopicPipe'
[ERR 10:57:45.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASJointCableBase'
[ERR 10:57:45.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASLinkWinch'
[ERR 10:57:45.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASRendererPipe'

I'm seeing similar errors on KBPS and USI-Lifesupport, so 1.7 is looking like a mod breaker.

Edited by Tonka Crash

oh i see... if the DLL isn't running/not loaded in 1.7 at all (and i cant get any of the KAS click menus to work, so it seems that is the case)... then the "upgrade from legacy" routines are likely not working properly either.

ok, will wait... turning off the Wiskey Tango Foxtrot Alarm now. :) 

Edited by Fyrem

6 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

@IgorZ Clean install of 1.7, mods installed from CKAN. In 1.7  it looks like the KAS.dll isn't being loaded  I have a coworker that gets the same exception and we have very different set of mods. KAS-API-v2.dll and KSP_Dev_Utils.1.2.dll don't have any errors.

During the AssemblyLoader:

[ERR 10:56:15.960] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'KAS': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'SaveUpgradePipeline.KAS.PatchFilesProcessor' from assembly 'KAS, Version=1.2.7037.1765, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

After Module Manager runs: 

[ERR 10:57:35.682] [ModuleManager] Post run call threw an exception in loading KAS, Version=1.2.7037.1765, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

[EXC 10:57:35.684] ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
	System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes ()
	ModuleManager.PostPatchLoader+<Run>d__16.MoveNext ()
	UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception)
	ModuleManager.Logging.UnityLogger:Exception(String, Exception)
	ModuleManager.Logging.ModLogger:Exception(String, Exception)
	ModuleManager.<Run>d__16:MoveNext()
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

Later on in the PartLoader there are several of these for the KAS parts:

[ERR 10:57:44.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASJointCableBase'
[ERR 10:57:44.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASJointRigid'
[ERR 10:57:44.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASJointTowBar'
[ERR 10:57:44.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASJointTwoEndsSphere'
[ERR 10:57:44.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASLinkResourceConnector'
[ERR 10:57:44.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASLinkSourceInteractive'
[ERR 10:57:44.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASLinkTargetBase'
[ERR 10:57:44.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASRendererPipe'
[ERR 10:57:44.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASRendererTelescopicPipe'
[ERR 10:57:45.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASJointCableBase'
[ERR 10:57:45.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASLinkWinch'
[ERR 10:57:45.xxx] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'KASRendererPipe'

I'm seeing similar errors on KBPS and USI-Lifesupport, so 1.7 is looking like a mod breaker.

It seems they've changed the upgrade pipeline in 1.7. I'm on a trip for 1-2 weeks, so no fixes should be expected before Apr 22nd. I'd guess that downgrading to 1.6 may work for some players. No guarantees though.

25 minutes ago, taniwha said:

I suspect problems with EL will be my fault as I poke around in KAS's guts a little. I've been rather busy of late, so haven't kept up with KAS.

I downloaded EL, grepped for KAS in all the configs and came up empty. Even when I installed it KAS was not a dependency, just recommended.

4 hours ago, ChrisF0001 said:

So, is there any way to *stop* the 'Upgrade from Legacy' sequence from happening?  (I still have delusions of keeping the LEGACY files around and preserving some unsupported parts...)

You can try deleting KAS\Patches\COMP-LegacyParts.cfg. I think this controls the upgrade process. But, I don't know what you really accomplish. Some of the Legacy parts that haven't be migrated to the 'new' KAS like the Harpoon have been reported as broken in 1.6+. KAS 1.2 needs a recompile to work in 1.7, so it's doubtful the Legacy parts will function at all in 1.7 unless you are comfortable downloading, fixing and recompiling the old code.

26 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

You can try deleting KAS\Patches\COMP-LegacyParts.cfg. I think this controls the upgrade process. But, I don't know what you really accomplish. Some of the Legacy parts that haven't be migrated to the 'new' KAS like the Harpoon have been reported as broken in 1.6+. KAS 1.2 needs a recompile to work in 1.7, so it's doubtful the Legacy parts will function at all in 1.7 unless you are comfortable downloading, fixing and recompiling the old code.

All I want is the Portable Strut - everything else has more-or-less a drop-in replacement and can be worked around, but nothing replaces that functionality (the hook / cable pair is neither symmetrical nor anywhere near long enough!).  I was hoping the KAS.dll in the old LEGACY folder would work, but if that can't work with 1.7... I guess I can't update either KAS or KSP itself unless I start a new game.  Which is a shame.  (Seriously, I must be using dozens of those things!)

Aren't the Flex-O-Tubes in MKS based on the same plugin?  Would they stop working with the update?

1 minute ago, ChrisF0001 said:

All I want is the Portable Strut - everything else has more-or-less a drop-in replacement and can be worked around, but nothing replaces that functionality (the hook / cable pair is neither symmetrical nor anywhere near long enough!).  I was hoping the KAS.dll in the old LEGACY folder would work, but if that can't work with 1.7... I guess I can't update either KAS or KSP itself unless I start a new game.  Which is a shame.  (Seriously, I must be using dozens of those things!)

Aren't the Flex-O-Tubes in MKS based on the same plugin?  Would they stop working with the update?

Yep the Flex-O-Tubes use the same plugin and I ran into a player last night that was reporting they were broken. I don't use MKS, but I've seen the same problem with KPBS flexible corridors. I haven't tried using the old KAS.dll in 1.7 to keep them working. I'm at the point in my current game that I've just started building a base and have steered clear of flex tubes until this can get resolved.

You can modify the length of the cable connections with a patch:

@PART[KAS.PCB1]:FINAL // PCB-1 Portable Cable Brace
{
    @MODULE[KASJointCableBase]
    {
		@maxLinkLength = 20	// spools can hold lots of cable ;)
    }
}