[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

4 hours ago, shimmy00 said:

So it seems the trick was excessive torque being applied by those monster wheels, and thus the links are not perfectly rigid.

All joints between the parts in KSP are actually "rubber". There were times when KIS/KAS were creating truly rigid links, but they were easily breaking during the loading. So, I decided to not be a smart a$$ and simply copied the joints settings from the stock game. After all, the Squad team had a reason to choose such settings. That being said, all the KAS links are "rigid" only to some extent. The JS part provides a tiny docking port capabilities. You cannot go over it without changing the parts configs.

Just and FYI. The size of the attachment node is not simply a visual thing. It also defines how many actual PhysX joints will be created. The larger the node size, the more joints you get. And guess what, it affects the performance! With all nodes being LARGE you'll get a really rigid vessel, but the FPS price will be severe.

And speaking about the reaction wheels. This issue dates back to ancient versions of KSP. The rule of thumb: don't have more than one reaction wheel active on your station. If your wheel is not powerful enough, bring a bigger wheel.  You may use KIS for that ;)  Sometimes, even with one powerful reaction wheel, a big station still starts wobbling. The workaround that always worked for me was quick save/quick load. Sometimes you may need to repeat it couple of times though :) 

Edited by IgorZ

15 hours ago, IgorZ said:

All joints between the parts in KSP are actually "rubber". There were times when KIS/KAS were creating truly rigid links, but they were easily breaking during the loading. So, I decided to not be a smart a$$ and simply copied the joints settings from the stock game. After all, the Squad team had a reason to choose such settings. That being said, all the KAS links are "rigid" only to some extent. The JS part provides a tiny docking port capabilities. You cannot go over it without changing the parts configs.

Just and FYI. The size of the attachment node is not simply a visual thing. It also defines how many actual PhysX joints will be created. The larger the node size, the more joints you get. And guess what, it affects the performance! With all nodes being LARGE you'll get a really rigid vessel, but the FPS price will be severe.

And speaking about the reaction wheels. This issue dates back to ancient versions of KSP. The rule of thumb: don't have more than one reaction wheel active on your station. If your wheel is not powerful enough, bring a bigger wheel.  You may use KIS for that ;)  Sometimes, even with one powerful reaction wheel, a big station still starts wobbling. The workaround that always worked for me was quick save/quick load. Sometimes you may need to repeat it couple of times though :) 

Thanks. Yeah, this then makes a lot of sense. The joints are indeed good enough so long as you don't put too much torque on them from excess reaction wheels. :D As said I got the ship to work and it flew real good despite it not being "perfectly" rigid.

On 9/1/2021 at 3:07 AM, IgorZ said:

So now I'm wondering how setting autostrut and rigid figure into this.  Do they increase the size of the nodes?  If so, I'd like a mod where I can tweak the size of these nodes individually, or in groups near an area.  Perhaps even making them smaller where the stock size is to large for the loads involved.

6 hours ago, darthgently said:

So now I'm wondering how setting autostrut and rigid figure into this.  Do they increase the size of the nodes?

Can't tell. I didn't investigate this feature deep. In fact, the absolutely rigid link is not possible in PhysX. The objects need to shift beyond the joint's threshold for the engine to start applying forces. Thus, there always be some error in positioning.

So I have KAS but because of breaking ground I thought I wouldn't need KIS but this contract showed up and I'm a little bit confused, is there a way to attach things in KSP without KIS? Am I missing something?

rmG07tP.jpg

Edit: Ok, nevermind. EVA construction came with the 'Loading...' patch, just press i with an engineer.

Edited by lodiped

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Tanner Rawlings said:

Anyone else having any issues where you set a kerbal's inventory in editor, then on load, while it shows them having said inventory, upon EVA, the inventory changes to default (EVA pack and Parachute)?

I guess it's a KIS thread question. Anyway, please, clarify which inventory are you referring? The KIS and stock inventories are completely independent of each other.

@Tanner Rawlings not trying to butt in, just to share what I have been doing: insofar KIS is going through some redevelopment. But stock inventory system works fine. KAS parts are good to go as they ways were, and the stock build kajigger works great paired with KAS parts.

So.... KAS parts + stock attachment + stock inventory, is the current best combination imho. Until IgorZ comes up with his updated stuff, which I expect to be far superior that stock's stuff.

3 hours ago, IgorZ said:

I guess it's a KIS thread question. Anyway, please, clarify which inventory are you referring? The KIS and stock inventories are completely independent of each other.

I have no option for KIS inventory, I can only access stock. so the kerbals in the editor have an inventory either with just a parachute or nothing at all (stock inventory). loading the craft, i check their inventories again (stock) and they are as they should be, but when a kerbal goes on EVA, their inventory seems to reload to default, and they have on a parachute and EVA pack. I'm going to double check my installation to make sure it isnt an issue with the install. (Cause hey, my messing something up wouldn't be a first)

Edit: issue still persists after re-install
Photos:

https://imgur.com/a/7rzozAq

Edited by Tanner Rawlings

2 hours ago, Tanner Rawlings said:

I have no option for KIS inventory

Hmm. If you're not using KIS, I wonder why do ask questions on this forum thread? Any stock inventory issue must be reported directly to the Squad team.

Edited by IgorZ

13 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Hmm. If you're not using KIS, I wonder why do ask questions on this forum thread? Any stock inventory issue must be reported directly to the Squad team.

Because the issue only arose after downloading the mod, and after uninstalling, the issue was not present, after reinstalling, the issue still persists. KAS doesn't list KIS as a requirement. If the mod is supposed to work with stock inventory system, but doesn't, then the issue belongs in this thread.

15 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

Have you enabled "Persist Kerbal Inventory Loadout" in the Game settings?

Issue remains regardless of that setting, and that only changes whether a kerbal's inventory changes back to default or is saved after recovery for the next flight, the issue I am having is that after loading in the vessel, I can right click the capsule and see the kerbal has the items in their inventory they should have, but when they go on EVA, the inventory is replaced with a parachute and EVA pack.

I'm still testing things, I've had a few issues like one Kerbal having their name and inventory repeated endlessly in the cargo screen when a different kerbal was in the mk1, also they had just one slot, but again these issues only arose after installing the mod.

EDIT:

I've tried it with and without KAS and CommunityCategoryKit, and the issue is only when KAS file is installed. I've tried using KAS file from all 3 download sites just to double check, issue still remains.

EDIT2:

I managed to fix the issue by going into the save persistent.sfs and under "LoaderInfo", deleting everything and starting game again

EDIT3:

Issue reappeared after a few loads. Still Tracing the root cause. Somehow shuffling items in stock inventory then selecting kerbal on eva from crew hatch and not the portrait makes things work as expected, I managed to get the issue to appear without KAS and CommunityCategoryKit, so apologies. I just only had the issue after installing KAS, so now I am trying to find what caused the issue

Edited by Tanner Rawlings

On 9/18/2021 at 3:22 PM, Tanner Rawlings said:

Anyone else having any issues where you set a kerbal's inventory in editor, then on load, while it shows them having said inventory, upon EVA, the inventory changes to default (EVA pack and Parachute)?

I have the same issue! what other mods are you using?

20 hours ago, visssius said:

Hello guys!
Is the issue showed in the video kas related?
Sorry if it was already asked!

What does make you suggest that KAS may be the reason? I don't see any KAS interactions in this video. Try removing KAS and repeat the steps.

7 hours ago, IgorZ said:

What does make you suggest that KAS may be the reason? I don't see any KAS interactions in this video. Try removing KAS and repeat the steps.

Yep, it's not KAS.
I uninstalled kas and other mods... but this wierd bug is still there.
When I try to attach the part (OKTO bus), it's pushing the surface with a force of a high speed collision, it's also like getting attached to the kerbal, sometimes attaching the whole spacestation to the kerbal remaining green and unclickable... if I try to attach other parts on it, I can but they remain unclickable too.

Hate to be that guy, but I believe that I have an issue with kas. I'm trying to use the js-1 joint socket, but can't link them together after placing one on each of the parts I want to use. The link option simply doesn't show up. Is there anything I can do to fix this? If logs are needed, I can go digging for them as well, though I did dig through my module manager log, and nothing failed to load at startup Any help is appreciated.

2 hours ago, oihShio said:

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

KAS v1.0 doesn't allow connecting two JS-1 ports by default, which was discussed a dozen of times on this forum. That functionality has been deprecated 3 years ago! I wonder why people keep referring to it. Is there "a respected source of truth" that says the old functionality still have to be existing in the current KAS? I'd love to get in touch with the maintainer.

TL;DR; Either use the source connection parts like TJ/RTS, or find the "MM-LegacyKASPipesPart.txt" file in the installation and follow the instructions in it.

6 hours ago, IgorZ said:

KAS v1.0 doesn't allow connecting two JS-1 ports by default, which was discussed a dozen of times on this forum. That functionality has been deprecated 3 years ago! I wonder why people keep referring to it. Is there "a respected source of truth" that says the old functionality still have to be existing in the current KAS? I'd love to get in touch with the maintainer.

TL;DR; Either use the source connection parts like TJ/RTS, or find the "MM-LegacyKASPipesPart.txt" file in the installation and follow the instructions in it.

Ah, I'm really sorry to drag it up then, thank you very much for letting me know. Maybe it stems from old youtube videos, none of the videos I saw were newer than 4 years ago.

Is it possible, using KAS/KIS using transfer stations and fuel lines to connect 2 bases beyond load range of each other (2 to 3km) using KAS such that when one is active the other is not loaded, and if so will resources flow between them in this situation?  I'm thinking not but I'm trying to think of a way to get a constant fuel flow between my ISRU fuel mining base and an extraplanetary launchpad construction facility without having to deal with a huge part count at one time.  For the record, I did put in a suggestion that KSP2 incorporate "pipelines" that would allow such a base interconnection scenario in stock.  Fingers crossed

2 hours ago, darthgently said:

Is it possible, using KAS/KIS using transfer stations and fuel lines to connect 2 bases beyond load range of each other

No, the parts in the the both ends of the KAS link must be active parts. Working with the unloaded vessels would be so much burden that I'd not even try to do it.

10 hours ago, IgorZ said:

No, the parts in the the both ends of the KAS link must be active parts. Working with the unloaded vessels would be so much burden that I'd not even try to do it.

Only an appearance of working would need to occur.  Much like ISRU bases and TACLs do background resource calculations.  Pipelines would work in a similar manner merely reducing the flow to and from the pipeline at the active end to predicted flows.  But thanks for answering, appreciated