[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

18 minutes ago, BTAxis said:
2 hours ago, darthgently said:

Since you have the transfer hose connected, I wouldn't consider it cheating.  Your call of course.  I mean KSP isn't super realistic to start with

Fair point. I guess I can go with that.

As @ColdJ wrote, you can probably just release and disable the grabber/klaw.  I think the transfer hose will go "rigid" like it does on the surface, but am not certain; never tried that.  I wouldn't trust the connection for anything other than passive drifting with no SAS, RCS, or thrust obviously.  Also, I'm not sure, but the "rigid" connection via the transfer hose might only be in docked mode, I really don't know at all.  It may only be for landed craft.  No idea

Edited by darthgently

@BTAxis RTS part only works when the vessels are separate. Based on the screenshot, your vessels are docked via a klaw that makes them one vessel. It effectively disables the RTS function. Using RTS to overcome the stock game's "obey crossfeed" setting may be considered as a feature request. However, at this point it's not supported. You cannot pump fuel between different parts of the same vessel using RTS part.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Maybe one of each?

3 hours ago, IgorZ said:

I thought it would be easier, but I'm not giving up just yet.

One for attaching to other craft and one for attaching to ground?

Edited by ColdJ

13 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Maybe one of each?

One for attaching to other craft and one for attaching to ground?

This will be a logical separation, but the problem is in the implementation. Collision with surface and vessels is handled differently.

I'm working on wrapping  up the changes and updating the localizations. Honestly, the time spent was well beyond my expectation. On the other hand, this feature challenged me. So, after all, it's worth it.

7 hours ago, IgorZ said:

I'm working on wrapping  up the changes and updating the localizations. Honestly, the time spent was well beyond my expectation. On the other hand, this feature challenged me. So, after all, it's worth it.

Oh my word! That looks sooooo smooth! Is that KISv2??? Like REALLY REALLY smooth! No lag at all when you moved that tank away!

11 hours ago, adriangm44 said:

Oh my word! That looks sooooo smooth! Is that KISv2??? Like REALLY REALLY smooth! No lag at all when you moved that tank away!

Yes, it's KISv2. This functionality is already available in the alpha version. It really helps doing the test job :) 

7 hours ago, adriangm44 said:

I might try. What are you looking for from testers?

Moving and storing the inventory stuff in the most awkward situations. E.g. on orbit or asteroid. Or on a floating platform in the ocean. Tests in simple conditions are also welcome, but such cases are likely covered well already.

Hello, and thanks so much for the KAS and KIS mods!

I am trying to use the Harpoon, but it just bounces off everything I try to hit.  I notice in the demo video that you open a 'KAS part adjustment tool'  to set the various behaviours wanted from the Harpoon.

How do we access the 'KAS part adjustment tool'?

cheers!

12 hours ago, Texxter said:

Hello, and thanks so much for the KAS and KIS mods!

I am trying to use the Harpoon, but it just bounces off everything I try to hit.  I notice in the demo video that you open a 'KAS part adjustment tool'  to set the various behaviours wanted from the Harpoon.

How do we access the 'KAS part adjustment tool'?

cheers!

Harpoon only attaches to surface or asteroid. And you need to hit at a particular angle (ideally - 90 degrees). For the adjustment too you need to modify the KAS settings file: set "partAlignToolKey" to a hot key that opens the dialog.

2 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Harpoon only attaches to surface or asteroid. And you need to hit at a particular angle (ideally - 90 degrees). For the adjustment too you need to modify the KAS settings file: set "partAlignToolKey" to a hot key that opens the dialog.

Thanks @IgorZ.  Does the grappling hook attach to ship parts by default?

On 6/14/2022 at 2:53 PM, Coldrifting said:

Just curious, but what's the reason that the CCK is required? It seems to work just fine on my install without. I am using Filter Extensions to create custom categories though, if it makes a difference.

At the moment of active KIS/KAS refactoring (2016) CCK was the only mod to manipulate categories via CFG files. And the purpose of CCK was to create a set of community recognized categories that all other mod authors could re-use. The Filter Extensions mod is more for customization of UI to a player's taste.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, TanoPrime said:

Having a problem with connecting two vessels landed on Eve.

When setting my RTS to DOCKED mode the smaller craft gets thrown into the air and breaks on impact.

Video is here: 

Just don't dock it. You can transfer resouces without doing it. 
The problem is that wheel damping does not get quite much along with docking, as the damping frature of the wheels is always doing calculations to keep the craft stable, once you dock it, it also needs to calculate all the other counterweight that the other parts are giving.

Happened to me plenty of times... Just don't dock okay? hahaha

2 hours ago, adriangm44 said:

The problem is that wheel damping does not get quite much along with docking, as the damping frature of the wheels is always doing calculations to keep the craft stable, once you dock it, it also needs to calculate all the other counterweight that the other parts are giving.

I can't agree with this more. I'm inclined to say that docking shouldn't be an option for this particular part (or at least give users a way to disable the option (SC settings menu?)). For me, the problem isn't so much wheels (though that's there), but rather landing a ship on a base doesn't end well when I accidentally click docked mode.

On 7/3/2022 at 1:35 PM, adriangm44 said:

Thank you, I didn't know you can transfer resources without docking..

Would an ISRU setup still work without docking? The drills and converter are on one craft, the fuel tanks to be filled are on the other craft.

1 hour ago, TanoPrime said:

Thank you, I didn't know you can transfer resources without docking..

Would an ISRU setup still work without docking? The drills and converter are on one craft, the fuel tanks to be filled are on the other craft.

The resource processors would need a small holding tank on the isru craft, then you can transfer the resources out of that tank into the main tanks.

3 hours ago, TanoPrime said:

I don't know what KAS's resource manager is like, but EL's resource manager will let you start a transfer and (while the window is still open, I think) keep going so long as there's something to transfer (ie, even when it drains the source tank set, it will wait a bit before stopping in case more resources show up to transfer), and EL's resource manager supports KAS connectors (and is nice because it works on sets rather than individual tanks, making transfers between large vessels much more pleasant).