[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

On 8/17/2019 at 5:07 PM, IgorZ said:

For the long connections there is an RTS part. Have you tried to use it? It gives you exactly 30m of hose and needs only one port. I.e. the parts counter is the same (two per one link) and the link distance is the same.

I've tried using that tonight and I'm trying to figure it out. I laid out about 200 meters of hose with pylons and I wasn't able to make the last connection. So I hit tracking station.. and back to KSC to launch another craft. And when I launched it and came back to land it on Duna.. the 200 meters of hose I had laid out with the pylons was all gone. Pylons gone, hose connectors gone, hose gone, all gone. So apparently that option doesn't persist between leaving the area and coming back. So I tried a 3rd launch back to Duna with more RTS connectors and laid out more hose and I hit quicksave this time then decided to quick load. After quick loading.. RTS gone, pylons gone, hose gone.

Is this a bug or what's going on here? What's the point of even wasting time with this if it won't persist and stay? Is RCS just a temporary thing as long as I'm within the area?

I guess you really don't want us to have any form of long distant, permanent connection anymore, is that it? :( Super depressing. :( I thought about rolling back to an old version of KSP to get the old KAS working where we had pipes.. but I don't know if I can handle that either, there's just no solution here. :(  I'd almost rather stop playing KSP if we can't use KAS to build colonies and remote base / facilities anymore. 

Edited by kithylin

6 minutes ago, kithylin said:

Pylons gone, hose connectors gone, hose gone, all gone.

From the game's perspective what was created via KIS is "debris" unless there is a command control module attached to the part. It's of out of KIS control (not even KAS!). Either adjust your game settings to persist debris between saves, or attach a control module to the pylons.

13 minutes ago, kithylin said:

I'd almost rather stop playing KSP if we can't use KAS to build colonies and remote base / facilities anymore. 

If you don't like the mod, you're free to stop using it. This kind of statements motivates noone.

Just now, IgorZ said:

From the game's perspective what was created via KIS is "debris" unless there is a command control module attached to the part. It's of out of KIS control (not even KAS!). Either adjust your game settings to persist debris between saves, or attach a control module to the pylons.

If you don't like the mod, you're free to stop using it. This kind of statements motivates noone.

In the old version of KAS we didn't have to do anything. Pylons and pipes stayed between quicksave and leaving and coming back and everything. So what.. I have to put a mechjeb module on every pylon now to get it to stay? I guess that's not too bad.

Welp that didn't work. I tried putting a pylon down, attaching it to the ground, then putting a RTS on a ship, running the hose out to about 20 meters, connecting it to the pylon, and attaching a mechjeb module to the side of the pylon so it stays (command control module) and tried a quick save and the pylon just explodes in to nothingness when I load the quicksave. That doesn't work either. I tried putting a small pilot seat on the pylon.. nope, load quick save, *BOOM* pylon and everything on it vaporized. I tried turning on persistent debris in the in-game settings and trying to quick save and reload and it just disappears. So none of that works either. 

3 minutes ago, kithylin said:

Welp that didn't work. I tried putting a pylon down, attaching it to the ground, then putting a RTS on a ship, running the hose out to about 20 meters, connecting it to the pylon, and attaching a mechjeb module to the side of the pylon so it stays (command control module) and tried a quick save and the pylon just explodes in to nothingness when I load the quicksave. That doesn't work either. I tried putting a small pilot seat on the pylon.. nope, load quick save, *BOOM* pylon and everything on it vaporized. I tried turning on persistent debris in the in-game settings and trying to quick save and reload and it just disappears. So none of that works either. 

Parts explosion is another case.

56 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

@IgorZ if I attach points to the ground and attach something like a habitat to it does it merge into one part and reduce part count?

First of all, I do not recommend attaching anything to the ground. In the latest version of KSP it became very unstable. And no, the parts won't merge.

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

First of all, I do not recommend attaching anything to the ground. In the latest version of KSP it became very unstable. And no, the parts won't merge.

Ok so if I do a normal attachment say a ground pilon it will be unstable? 

Edited by The-Doctor

32 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

Ok so if I do a normal attachment say a ground pilon it will be unstable? 

You may observe weird behavior on load. Up to explosion. Surface attachments were more or less stable in KSP 1.3, but then more and more people started to report issues.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, IanCanberra said:

IgorZ Can you do a series of utubes showing how to do things like attach a new relay antenna, install a docking port to an existing space structure and finally how to assemble something like a mass driver. Please that would be great :)

There's at least one there already, at this link.  I can't speak to its quality or applicability to your situation but a quick Google search finds others.

Edited by Brigadier

19 hours ago, IanCanberra said:

IgorZ Can you do a series of utubes showing how to do things like attach a new relay antenna, install a docking port to an existing space structure and finally how to assemble something like a mass driver. Please that would be great :)

I'd really love to! Alas, I don't have capacity for that :( When I get back from work and have my 2 hours of personal daily time, I have to choose: code a new staff (like developing KISv2, fixes to KAS, or improvements to EVS) or make a better docs for KIS/KAS. For now my focus is heavily shifted towards the new stuff. If you want to change this trend, consider joining my Patreon. We're almost 50% done on a way of shifting focus towards the KIS docs.

21 hours ago, Tyzemol said:

There is sounds for grappling hook and magnet in mod folder but no grappling hook or magnet itself, where did they go?

TL; DR; They were removed. Not permanently, but ETA on when they will return is not set.

Fore more details try searching this thread. It was explained couple of times.

• 3 weeks later...

I have reports that KAS is broken in KSP 1.8. Didn't test it yet (working on KIS for now), but I'm not surprised. The KAS update is in the queue.

And using the opportunity, I'd like to announce that the upgrade functionality that transforms pre KAS v2.0 save files will be deprecated in the next version. So, if you have a half-year old save file, which you'd like to play in KSP 1.8, load/save it now!

1 hour ago, DownHereInChile said:

[1.7.3] Hey! My attachee craft explodes whenever I try to connect a tow bar to it. What am I doing wrong?

Alas, the tow bar was a fail. It may play nice or it can explode. I spent a lot of time trying to stabilize it, but hit the physics limitation in old Unity. I may revisit it with the new Unity.

Edited by IgorZ

People, does anyone have issues with KAS v1.4 on KSP 1.8? I need a proven case with the repo steps + video. Please, ensure there are no other mods in your system (the way how KSP 1.8 has changed makes it possible of any mod to affect anything). I did my own tests, and didn't notice any problems. However, there were reports that KAS is broken. So, a bug hunt is open! If nothing found, I'll simply recompile KAS for C# .Net 4.5 and Unity 2019.

Edited by IgorZ