[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

A quick query just to see if there's a quick fix before I dig into the logs.

I've been attaching the struts to my ship, and then bringing a fuel ship in for transfer. However, when I switch between vessels so I can select the relevant docking port, the ship with the struts promptly explodes. I've tried various cockpit combos, as I recall there being an issue with B9 or something, but it is starting to get a little bit frustrating. Duna's not going to colonise itself.

Has anyone had similar issues and have a solution?

You'll have to dig into the logs. Ships exploding in flight can have various reasons for doing so.

For strut related issues, I found that following these guidelines helped reduce the possibility of explosions. You can do this for ships already in flight or being built in VAB/SPH.

• Do not autostrut the root part.
    • After docking, 2 ships become 1. Since there can only be 1 root part, KSP decides which root to pick between the 2 original ships and then redo all the autostruts based on the new root. That's where things can go wrong. You want to minimize the effects of re-rooting by eliminating any autostruts connected to the root part.
  • Do not autostrut TO the root part.
    • Since the root can change, do not set any other part to autostrut to root.
  • Do not autostrut to the heaviest part.
    • Similar to the root, the heaviest part can change.
    • With landing gears, you don't have a choice, they're all locked to autostrut to the heaviest part and you can't change that.
  • DO autostrut to grandparent.
    • You can do this with any part that allows autostrut except for those directly attached to the root. If a part is directly attached to the root, then it's parent is the root, and the grandparent is...? Precisely. You don't want KSP to deal with that dilema because most of the time, explosions will occur after a re-root.

I found that if I stick to those rules, I don't even have to worry about setting autostruts to rigid. I do use QuantumStruts so that I can toggle struts on/off depending on what I'm docked to. I also use ReCoupler together with some well placed girders to stiffen some areas.

Edited by bcqJC

• 2 weeks later...

KAS is amazing and fun! I like to build cranes and swing around parts before building a rocket with KIS. It's certainly amazing, but I've seen one feature in pictures and videos and stuff that I can't figure out how to do. I can't figure out how to make normal cross-vehicle struts with the small orange ports. I've seen people's results with this, but I don't know how to do it.

Example (part of Conquering Whirligig by Ultimate Steve) below.

Mq8XyE5.png

On 2/1/2020 at 10:47 AM, LittleBitMore said:

KAS is amazing and fun! I like to build cranes and swing around parts before building a rocket with KIS. It's certainly amazing, but I've seen one feature in pictures and videos and stuff that I can't figure out how to do. I can't figure out how to make normal cross-vehicle struts with the small orange ports. I've seen people's results with this, but I don't know how to do it.

Example (part of Conquering Whirligig by Ultimate Steve) below.

Mq8XyE5.png

This kind of struts is not possible anymore. If you need a rigid strut, try using TJ-1. It has a limited distance though. If all what you want is joining two vessels together, then RTS1 in "docking mode" is what you need - it gives you 30m range.

5 hours ago, IgorZ said:

This kind of struts is not possible anymore. If you need a rigid strut, try using TJ-1. It has a limited distance though. If all what you want is joining two vessels together, then RTS1 in "docking mode" is what you need - it gives you 30m range.

Is that possible as of 1.7.3? I'm playing a JNSQ install.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, igdegoo said:

once i retracted a winch and my plane got yeeted on an escape trajectory out of the sun has that happened to anyone else lmao

Indeed, it's not an intended behavior. Could you please share the logs? In general, when you disconnect a winch, the owner vessel is expected to get some momentum due to the connector object is now on it's own. However, getting that much momentum cannot be explained by this.

If you can prepare a simple save file for me to test, it would be awesome! I'm not a "plane person" (never flew a single plane in KSP, but destroyed a brazillion of rockets), so I never tested how does winch behave in planes connection.

• 2 weeks later...

Long time user of KAS. After putting down Kerbal for a while I just picked it up again - went to my Minmus base and saw that all my fuel lines had disappeared but the ships were still attached. Looked through some forums - KAS had gotten rid of the old JS-1 port (or CC-R2? one of those.) So I uninstalled the mod, downloaded an old version of the mod, loaded an older save, went around disconnecting everything, installed the new version of the mod, great! Now things connect and transfer fuel!

...until I saved my game and reloaded.

BVCejDl.png

All my stock fuel tanks now have 283 fuel. The tanks from mods have the right amount, but the S3-14400 tank now only has 283 units of liquid fuel. That's true even when I detach it. 

This is running KAS 1.5 with Kerbal 1.9.1.

On 3/14/2020 at 7:40 AM, Wanderingcowboy said:

All my stock fuel tanks now have 283 fuel. The tanks from mods have the right amount, but the S3-14400 tank now only has 283 units of liquid fuel. That's true even when I detach it. 

KAS doesn't deal with the tanks capacity. It's defined in the part config. I may only guess that your game has some other mod that modifies tanks, and it worked bad. Please, share the save file and the logs.

On 3/14/2020 at 3:40 PM, Wanderingcowboy said:

Long time user of KAS. After putting down Kerbal for a while I just picked it up again - went to my Minmus base and saw that all my fuel lines had disappeared but the ships were still attached. Looked through some forums - KAS had gotten rid of the old JS-1 port (or CC-R2? one of those.) So I uninstalled the mod, downloaded an old version of the mod, loaded an older save, went around disconnecting everything, installed the new version of the mod, great! Now things connect and transfer fuel!

...until I saved my game and reloaded.

This is running KAS 1.5 with Kerbal 1.9.1.

17 hours ago, IgorZ said:

KAS doesn't deal with the tanks capacity. It's defined in the part config. I may only guess that your game has some other mod that modifies tanks, and it worked bad. Please, share the save file and the logs.

There is new bug in KSP introduced with 1.9.x. Discovered and discussed in Tweakscale thread. Quoting just relevant part:

There's a glitch on KSP 1.9.0 and 1.9.1 (and it's unknown if this will be ever fixed) that overrides any change made on the Part's Resources on cloning (i.e., "copy & paste" an existant part - Alt+Click, Using Symmetry, etc).

This glitch affects every single Add'On that changes the Part's Resources, it's not something affecting only TweakScale - so a fix was applied on a new Add'On called KSP Recall

Users of KSP 1.9.0 and 1.9.1 are advised to install KSP Recall. Future KSP releases may or may not fix the glitch - but until there, you need KSP Recall to use TweakScale on KSP 1.9.x . 

It is very likely that you are using some mod that alter craft resources and too add on top of that, you were using savegame from previous KSP releases that was edited outside of KSP to make it work at all. Quite a lot is possible to go wrong way, it is hard to even a guess what.

5 minutes ago, JewelShisen said:

Wasn't there at one time a Harpoon attachment for this mod?

There was.  It was depreciated with the overhaul, and something similar should be returning eventually - but it doesn't exist yet.

On 3/15/2020 at 7:12 PM, IgorZ said:

That makes sense.

On 3/16/2020 at 12:48 PM, kcs123 said:

There is new bug in KSP introduced with 1.9.x. Discovered and discussed in Tweakscale thread. Quoting just relevant part:

Could be Tweakscale. Didn't think about looking into that mod - I will now. I'll check my other ships that I haven't done anything KAS-wise with yet - could be that using KAS was the coincidence that made me notice. Thanks all for the help!

On 3/16/2020 at 12:58 PM, JewelShisen said:

Wasn't there at one time a Harpoon attachment for this mod?

As answered by @DStaal, there was one and it was deprecated. There is a plan to implement a counterpart. Eventually. At this moment I'm focused on the new version of KIS. And, honestly, my usual schedule is severely impacted by the recent quarantine lockdown due to the coronavirus. Who may have guessed that this human specific disease may affect Kerbal? But it did.

On 3/17/2020 at 9:53 PM, IgorZ said:

As answered by @DStaal, there was one and it was deprecated. There is a plan to implement a counterpart. Eventually. At this moment I'm focused on the new version of KIS. And, honestly, my usual schedule is severely impacted by the recent quarantine lockdown due to the coronavirus. Who may have guessed that this human specific disease may affect Kerbal? But it did.

Koronavirus. Just as lethal to kerbals as Kerbola.

• 2 weeks later...

Feature request:

I would like ability to lock the connectors on RTS-1 Resource Transfer Stations with a hot key.  I find that the game is more stable if I don't leave the lines lying on the ground and it would be nice if I could retract them with just a key press.

I hope this is an easy to implement feature that you like, but in any case thank you very much for your hard work.  These mods greatly enhance my play experience 

In far past, i remind, when i connect an 5-Star-Engineer-filled MPL to my grounded ISRU-MiningRigs
with ordinary Wrenches, Mining- and ISRUs-Efficiency was boosted/speeded up from 5 to 100 % .

Meanwhile/Now it dont.
(Gillys and Mohos are horrbile slow.)

Do i something wrong or is that feature cutted out?

Edited by Jansn67

2 hours ago, Jansn67 said:

In far past, i remind, when i connect an 5-Star-Engineer-filled MPL to my grounded ISRU-MiningRigs
with ordinary Wrenches, Mining- and ISRUs-Efficiency was boosted/speeded up from 5 to 100 % .

Meanwhile/Now it dont.
(Gillys and Mohos are horrbile slow.)

Do i something wrong or is that feature cutted out?

KAS should have nothing to do with efficiency.  It's hard to tell what's going on from your description.  Are all the parts on one vessel after you've connected them?  Maybe shift focus to another craft and come back to the mining site after connecting the drills?