[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

On the ground, SimpleLogistics allows you to refuel without even touching another craft.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work in space because it requires both craft to be landed.

In space, you can mount any of the grapplers to a robotics piston so that you can grab any external part of another ship which effectively docks with said ship. Personally, I use SPXR crew tubes for docking.

22 hours ago, EnderKid2 said:

I mean, if you do that you can stick them in stock cargo containers and manipulate them with the stock system, which is enough to get the functionality I need (refueling craft without having to dock)

Ah, sorry. I assumed you're suggesting to actually do this "compatibility" by filing a PR with the config changes :) 

On 12/2/2021 at 23:42, IgorZ said:

This is how this mod works for more than 1.5 years now. You cannot connect two JS-1 without a hack, JS-1 is only a receptacle for other parts like RTS, JS, TB, etc. Browse this forum back in time and you find the discussions, as well a workaround to bring back the legacy behavior.

If you think you can do that by simply adding a cargo module to the KAS parts, you're wrong. TL;TD; KAS is not compatible at the code level. There was a post couple of pages ago that explains it.

I do not quite understand, if you mean to modify the patch or remove it.

On 21/5/2020 at 18:27, IgorZ said:

You probably refer to the old KAS functionality (more than a year old, to be specific). In the today's KAS all "struts" are specific parts. Like TJ-1 and JT-2. They all connect to JS-1 port. You cannot connect two JS-1 ports together unless you've enabled the legacy mode (read MM-LegacyKASPipesPart.txt in Patches folder).

I do, but the free time I have is not much. 

Edit:

Forget what I said, the problem was solved.

Edited by luisitoISS
Termination change

• 4 weeks later...

I have an issue with the resource transfer GUI. There are too many different resources on my base and the GUI does not scale itself, so some of the resources are out of view and therefore inaccessible.

https://imgur.com/a/2J7vk8U

I've tried rescaling the UI using in game settings but that seems to have no effect on the KAS resource transfer GUI. From the image you can see that "Material Kits" is not viewable on screen so I can't transfer Material Kits between vessels. 

1 hour ago, Rocketgum said:

I have an issue with the resource transfer GUI. There are too many different resources on my base and the GUI does not scale itself, so some of the resources are out of view and therefore inaccessible.

https://imgur.com/a/2J7vk8U

I've tried rescaling the UI using in game settings but that seems to have no effect on the KAS resource transfer GUI. From the image you can see that "Material Kits" is not viewable on screen so I can't transfer Material Kits between vessels. 

WOW! I didn't bother to add scrollers to this dialog because I assumed the screen height is enough for any crazy setup :)  Created a feature request.

7 hours ago, The-Grim-Sleeper said:

You might be looking for the ''Recoupler" mod by Booots:

This is actually a feature I’ve been meaning to test in ReCoupler: whether it’s existing logic works for the new in-flight construction. It might not, but that’s definitely something ReCoupler should do. :)

11 hours ago, adriangm44 said:

What's going on????

It's physics. You've attached more than 2 tons of mass on a tiny sized attachment node in the worst configuration possible (up side down). Replace the winch with a tiny docking port and you'll get the same behavior. Except, with the docking ports the auto-strut feature may (or may not) turn on to reinforce the joint. Auto struts cannot work with the moving parts (winch and its docking head). If you want this setup to work, use struts to fix the container inside the fairing.

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

It's physics. You've attached more than 2 tons of mass on a tiny sized attachment node in the worst configuration possible (up side down). 

Like supporting an elephant with the tip of your finger...:D

• 3 weeks later...

If it is possible, in the near future, you could you make axis action group fields for the winches that can work with the Breaking Ground DLC KAL-1000 controller?

It would help tremendously with building cranes, especially the one shown below. As you may or may not know (Most likely not! :wink:) , I am one of the only Kerbals to make somewhat accurate construction equipment replicas in Kerbal Space Program. Check out my YouTube channel for more.

9 hours ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

If it is possible, in the near future, you could you make axis action group fields for the winches that can work with the Breaking Ground DLC KAL-1000 controller?

It would help tremendously with building cranes, especially the one shown below. As you may or may not know (Most likely not! :wink:) , I am one of the only Kerbals to make somewhat accurate construction equipment replicas in Kerbal Space Program. Check out my YouTube channel for more.

Without this video, I would not have believed that this was possible at all! I wish KAS had a part like this. TBH, never used KAL-1000 before. I've created a tracking ticket.

Something happened with KAS, I still get the "open inventory" sounds, and when it's supposed to be open the part-dragging UI appears, but the actual inventory is missing..

It doesn't seem hidden under any other menu in VAB, I have no idea what is happening.

2 hours ago, TanoPrime said:

Something happened with KAS, I still get the "open inventory" sounds, and when it's supposed to be open the part-dragging UI appears, but the actual inventory is missing..

It doesn't seem hidden under any other menu in VAB, I have no idea what is happening.

KAS is not responsible for the inventory things. This mod only adds some new parts into the game, and that's it. Could you please give more details? Like screenshots and videos?

I kitbashed together this LM Shelter using BDB and stock parts. It is still in the refinement phase, but I am running into a problem.

9BEfk9D.jpg

W8j4GXl.jpg

I need to attach a ladder to the lower lip of the airlock. I can do so, but when I inflate/deflate the airlock the ladder does not move with it. I don't have KAS yet and I was wondering would it solve the problem? Or, could my Kerbals attach one on an EVA?

Thanks.

7 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

I don't have KAS yet and I was wondering would it solve the problem? Or, could my Kerbals attach one on an EVA?

I don't see how KAS can help here. Indeed, you can go EVA and attach the ladder using KIS, but this topic is for a different mod.

On 1/24/2021 at 4:58 PM, IgorZ said:

Okay. Here is an update on the KAS compatibility. I've spent more time testing it (and thanks to those who helped me on Github!). In nutshell, it's not that easy to make KAS compatible :(  Here is the bug list I have so far. All of these bugs are not trivial and require a lot of investigation. I wish there were events notifying when a part is being picked up in EVA, but for now I don't see any. Also, it's not possible to block the EVA construction UI, so many KAS functionality interferes with the stock game and needs to be disabled when the construction mode is activated. That being said, do not expect quick fixes. I still appreciate bug reports, but, please, in the bug report clearly state that you're testing and not using KAS in 1.11.

I'll repeat myself: KAS v1.7 is not compatible with the stock cargo system in KSP 1.11. It should be safe to use KIS+KAS pair in KSP 1.11 - I haven't found any obvious problems. But do not use the stock cargo system and KAS in your carrier games. Not just yet.

I apologize! What is the current situation? Do KIS and KAS work normally with the current up-to-date version of the game? 1.11.2? Can I safely use them in my career?

1 minute ago, Grem said:

Do KIS and KAS work normally with the current up-to-date version of the game? 1.11.2?

I use them without issue, but they do not interact with the stock EVA Construction mode or the Stock Inventory. They are completely separate beasts.

On 4/14/2021 at 12:13 PM, IgorZ said:

KAS is not responsible for the inventory things. This mod only adds some new parts into the game, and that's it. Could you please give more details? Like screenshots and videos?

@IgorZ- I'm sorry, I confused the mods - the problem is with KIS, not KAS.
Reposting on the KIS thread.

Edited by TanoPrime
moving extra details to relevant thread

On 4/16/2021 at 8:47 PM, darthgently said:

Do the fixed/telescopic joint and associated joint socket conduct heat for stock mining and ISRU purposes?  I need a heat conduction increase that can be done in EVA

KAS parts are regular parts, so they conduct heat. However, this aspect was not specifically tuned, so I won't be surprised if the heat conduction is imperfect. Keep in mind one important aspect: the heat will only be transmitted if the link is in "docked" mode. If you attach two individual vessels, the heat will not be transmitted between them, each vessel will be calculated independently.

Edited by IgorZ