[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

Not sure if I get the point. If they sit on the same vessel, why would they need to "dock"? What properties does it suppose to  give? Btw, the winch and anchor cannot dock until they are "locked". It's different to the TJ parts that are always "docked".

There’s a payload on top of a landed rocket, I deploy a built-in crane, then dock the winch on the payload, decouple payload from beneath and then off to the ground with the winch.

Does that make more sense? Sorry if I wasn’t clear!

And yes, I know the winch doesn’t dock until it’s fully retracted. I meant dock the winch to the port, the little valve part with yellow&black strips.

Edited by adriangm44

11 hours ago, adriangm44 said:

There’s a payload on top of a landed rocket, I deploy a built-in crane, then dock the winch on the payload, decouple payload from beneath and then off to the ground with the winch.

Does that make more sense? Sorry if I wasn’t clear!

And yes, I know the winch doesn’t dock until it’s fully retracted. I meant dock the winch to the port, the little valve part with yellow&black strips.

I think you mean "connect the winch to the joint socket"?  I'm 99% certain there is no current way to do this without a kerbal.  Maybe via kOS and the kOS-EVA mod you could automate a kerbal to perform it by script, but my experience with kOS-EVA is that it would never be reliable if possible at all.  That mod is pretty much orphaned

Edited by darthgently

A winch implies a flexible cable to me anyway, and I really don't see that being able to attach to anything without Kerbal interaction, or at least a robotic arm, in the first place... Detach perhaps, but not attach. Try pushing a rope and see where that gets you.

14 hours ago, adriangm44 said:

I think I get it now. Are you looking for a feature to "pre-attach" the winch connector in the editor with the cable deployed? If yes then, this feature is unlikely to be made anytime soon. I considered it once, but implementation complications made me give up. With KISv2 being developed (and I'm already well behind the schedule) I don't think I could invest into this feature.

Btw, to not confuse terms, let's name the attaching cable to the JS-1 part as "attach" or "plug". The "dock" term is used by the KAS parts to indicate that the connected parts become one vessel (from the game's perspective). There are parts that support both modes: "just connect" and "connect and dock". That's why I got confused.

7 hours ago, IgorZ said:

I think I get it now. Are you looking for a feature to "pre-attach" the winch connector in the editor with the cable deployed? If yes then, this feature is unlikely to be made anytime soon. I considered it once, but implementation complications made me give up. With KISv2 being developed (and I'm already well behind the schedule) I don't think I could invest into this feature.

Btw, to not confuse terms, let's name the attaching cable to the JS-1 part as "attach" or "plug". The "dock" term is used by the KAS parts to indicate that the connected parts become one vessel (from the game's perspective). There are parts that support both modes: "just connect" and "connect and dock". That's why I got confused.

Okay I’ve got an idea.

what if I could add the EVA module to the far end of the cable? So when it deploys it becomes part of a separate vessel; it will get close enough to see the “attach joint here” message. 
Could it work? I’m at work so I can’t test it..

16 hours ago, adriangm44 said:

what if I could add the EVA module to the far end of the cable? So when it deploys it becomes part of a separate vessel; it will get close enough to see the “attach joint here” message. 

Nope, it wont' work. The EVA module can only work on a kerbal. And having this module on kerbal is not the only requirement.

• 1 month later...

I was super excited to give this mod a try after seeing some youtubers doing super cool things with some of the parts like magnets, grappling hooks, and harpoons. I was disappointed to find that these parts were removed from the mod in a late update. Why remove parts like this? They are unique and interesting, now this mod just seems like a winch mod, not an attachment mod.

13 hours ago, GEONE said:

I was super excited to give this mod a try after seeing some youtubers doing super cool things with some of the parts like magnets, grappling hooks, and harpoons. I was disappointed to find that these parts were removed from the mod in a late update. Why remove parts like this? They are unique and interesting, now this mod just seems like a winch mod, not an attachment mod.

If I recall correctly, IgorZ did respond positively to putting some or all of these back in the mod.  Pretty sure he mentioned the grappling hook anyway.  But getting things to work with the newer stock construction has been his priority and is not trivial.  I'm sure he can explain it better (and did if you scroll/page back far enough)

Edited by darthgently

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to install KIS/KAS again.  They worked great in ver. 1.10 but not in ver. 1.11.  On ver. 1.12.3 now. 

I need to retrofit my fleet with the refueling system.  The hose reel and port attach fine both on a vehicle and in storage, but not the screwdriver and wrench needed to attach them to vehicles in the field.  They will not go into any storage module I have tried, nor into a Kerbal's inventory.  I tried to install the storage box that fits on a Kerbal's backpack but it will not. 

I need instructions on how to carry tools and can not find any.

@miklkit, are you sure you are placing the tools in the KIS inventory system and not in the KSP stock inventory system?

I'm playing on 1.12.3 and can confirm that KAS and KIS work fine, I can place tools in any inventory by moving them with the mouse as instructed in the book that opens with the wrench (you can also see that instruction here https:/ /github.com/ihsoft/KIS/blob/master/User%20Guide.pdf).

May be try reinstalling mods.

Edited by Grem

There is a book?  I will look into that. 

So far this system in really clunky and only kinda sorta works after hours of trying.  It worked fine in v 1.10.  Currently I am stuck after dropping a wrench.  I can not pick it up.

Edited by miklkit

I believe my question is similar to the one by miklkit above, with a twist.

I've placed ground pylons in KSP stock inventory slots by accident (the one with the bigger icons). They seem to be utterly useless there since they're too high in volume to be placed into the stock inventory of my Kerbal.

Is there an in-game way to transfer them from there into a KIS inventory? Either directly or via intermediate steps?

Alternatively, is there a way to move them from the stock inventory to a KIS inventory at location?

Yes I could probably hack the quicksave file but I'm genuinely interested if there is an in-game fix for my stupidity

16 hours ago, MrOnak said:

Yes I could probably hack the quicksave file but I'm genuinely interested if there is an in-game fix for my stupidity

You can install the KISv2 Alpha and use it to pull out the part. Then, use KIS functionality to put it into the KIS inventory.

Edited by IgorZ

On 4/6/2022 at 4:37 AM, Grem said:

Aha!  A user guide!  No how no way would I have looked there for it.  Is that guide in the KIS User Guide book?  It would be REALLY helpful if it was.  I have been trying to read that book with no success.  I have also learned that the stock containers and the KIS containers are separate and items can not be swapped between them.  Been wasting days on this mess.

Vtbp84t.jpg

EDIT:  I just found KIS and it seems my problems are with KIS, not KAS.   Now I have a guide even if it is not in the game.

Edited by miklkit

I'm having difficulty refueling my ship via the fuel connector. I have it connected up directly from one fuel tank to another, but I can't transfer any fuel, be it via the PAWs or the KAS UI. I don't really understand what I'm doing wrong. I watched the demonstration video linked in the OP and I believe I'm doing the same things, but it just doesn't work.

It doesn't matter whether the socket is set to docked or undocked mode - the GUI always says it is unavailable in docked mode.

Dy2JBdA.png

Edited by BTAxis

Are you docked with a Klaw also?  Can't quite tell.  You should be able to transfer fuel the stock way just via the Klaw.

R-click on one of the tanks, pin the open window.  Do the same for the other tank.  As long as those are the only part windows open you should get some [In][Out] buttons in the windows near each resource

9 hours ago, darthgently said:

Are you docked with a Klaw also?  Can't quite tell.  You should be able to transfer fuel the stock way just via the Klaw.

R-click on one of the tanks, pin the open window.  Do the same for the other tank.  As long as those are the only part windows open you should get some [In][Out] buttons in the windows near each resource

Yes, the ship is grappling the tanker with the Klaw also. I suspect that might be the reason why it doesn't work, but I'm not sure. Also, you can't transfer fuel via the Klaw, because it has no fuel crossfeed. That's why I'm trying to use KAS to transfer the fuel in the first place.

4 hours ago, BTAxis said:

Yes, the ship is grappling the tanker with the Klaw also. I suspect that might be the reason why it doesn't work, but I'm not sure. Also, you can't transfer fuel via the Klaw, because it has no fuel crossfeed. That's why I'm trying to use KAS to transfer the fuel in the first place.

That is exactly the reason.  The Klaw is the same as being docked.  You can transfer fuel via the Klaw, I've done it.    There is a setting about "obey crossfeed rules" that may affect this.

3 minutes ago, darthgently said:

That is exactly the reason.  The Klaw is the same as being docked.  You can transfer fuel via the Klaw, I've done it.    There is a setting about "obey crossfeed rules" that may affect this.

Well, I would consider that a cheat.

@BTAxis

It sounds as though the fact that you are docked so making you one craft, with a klaw that doesn't allow crossfeed, might be overiding the KAS system, Try releasing the klaw and see if it then works, as long as you don't thrust about you should stay in proximity.

4 hours ago, ColdJ said:

@BTAxis

It sounds as though the fact that you are docked so making you one craft, with a klaw that doesn't allow crossfeed, might be overiding the KAS system, Try releasing the klaw and see if it then works, as long as you don't thrust about you should stay in proximity.

Turns out releasing the Klaw gives the ship some significant impulse, so it tumbles away if you don't do anything about it. That said it does help - I can use the GUI to transfer fuel while the hose is still attached. It detaches once the ships drift too far apart though.

2 hours ago, darthgently said:

Since you have the transfer hose connected, I wouldn't consider it cheating.  Your call of course.  I mean KSP isn't super realistic to start with

Fair point. I guess I can go with that.