[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

• 2 weeks later...

I want to use a ground pylon, adn on top of it i want to build a solar farm network close to my base. How do o do that usign kas

I placed the pylon in the ground, i kis-attached an extrapalanetary launchapads base builder pad on top of the pylon, where i want my solars built, now i have to connect the pylon to the base so that i can access the base's workforce adn build the stuff with el.

How do i connect the pylon to the base?

1 hour ago, Nicky21 said:

How do i connect the pylon to the base?

Use an RTS-1  Resource Transfer Station linked to a JS-1 Joint Socket and either just transfer resources, or set to docking mode. This is a KAS specific option,  other mods have  other methods of linking base parts together that may or may not be better for you. 

I'm using KAS to refuel (using rts-1 and js-1 parts) and encountered a bug where the part the joint socket is attached too is no longer attached to its parent part. The ship appears to be in 1 piece, but functionally isn't. This sometimes(depending on the layout of the ship) results in fuel not being transferred or the part not decoupling. I'm able to reverse it by editing the save file and changing the below line from -1 to the correct part number.

srfN = srfAttach, -1,COLLIDER

14 hours ago, Phillo said:

I'm using KAS to refuel (using rts-1 and js-1 parts) and encountered a bug where the part the joint socket is attached too is no longer attached to its parent part. The ship appears to be in 1 piece, but functionally isn't. This sometimes(depending on the layout of the ship) results in fuel not being transferred or the part not decoupling. I'm able to reverse it by editing the save file and changing the below line from -1 to the correct part number.

Are you attaching the joint sockets in the editor or on EVA?  Just curious, no answers for you unfortunately 

49 minutes ago, Phillo said:

Normally in the editor. Tried placing in EVA and had the same problem.

I had issues when mixing and matching stock inventory and KIS inventory and also mixing stock EVA construction and KAS EVA attaching of things.

So I've stuck to trying to only pull parts from stock inventory when stock constructing and only from KIS inventory for KAS attachment. 

It is voodoo at this point to some degree as a lot of work has been done since I had these issues; habit at this point I guess.

If I need to cross systems I'll first pull and attach using one system, then switch to the other system to do what else I need to do with the part.  I definitely avoid any KAS/KIS activity while in stock construction mode (if it is even possible at this point, not sure).  Something to consider.

Edited by darthgently

On 10/4/2022 at 9:00 AM, Phillo said:

Can you make an isolated test for this case? The parts hierarchy can sometimes become tricky, and the edge cases are possible. Also, please enable verbose logging in the game and collect logs during the problem reproduction. It may give me a clue.

Edited by IgorZ

59 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Can you make an isolated test for this case? The parts hierarchy can sometimes become tricky, and the edge cases are possible. Also, please enable verbose logging in the game and collect logs during the problem reproduction. It may give me a clue.

I created a KSP instance with most mods removed and kept things fairly simple.  As you can see in the image below the decoupler on the left(where the ships where connected) does not work.  Anyway heres the log https://pastebin.com/6PuTC4K4

YqfHhpH.jpeg

On 10/6/2022 at 3:22 PM, Phillo said:

I created a KSP instance with most mods removed and kept things fairly simple.  As you can see in the image below the decoupler on the left(where the ships where connected) does not work.  Anyway heres the log https://pastebin.com/6PuTC4K4

This is interesting. The logs look good, but the result is strange. Could you please send me the save game and the instruction on how to reproduce the issue in PM? I really need such samples (non launchpad or simulated orbit).

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings. Playing around with this, and just a quickie question.

What would be the best way to create an anchor on a body, with which I can connect several crafts/rovers to for resource transfer?

KAS has something like a cement block,but I can't seem to find a way to place it on the ground or move it in EVA.

Would I have to use the stock ground anchor to plop something onto the ground, put something small on it (or a pylon), and put the hose connectors on it? Or does KAS come with something that acts as a ground anchor?

----

I've figured this out. H to attach something to the ground with the screwdriver. Apparently screwing a concrete block into the minty ice of Minmus makes for a stable structure :)

Edited by wkwied

On 10/28/2022 at 4:13 PM, wkwied said:

Greetings. Playing around with this, and just a quickie question.

What would be the best way to create an anchor on a body, with which I can connect several crafts/rovers to for resource transfer?

KAS has something like a cement block,but I can't seem to find a way to place it on the ground or move it in EVA.

Would I have to use the stock ground anchor to plop something onto the ground, put something small on it (or a pylon), and put the hose connectors on it? Or does KAS come with something that acts as a ground anchor?

----

I've figured this out. H to attach something to the ground with the screwdriver. Apparently screwing a concrete block into the minty ice of Minmus makes for a stable structure :)

I'm glad you've found the answer :)  However, I'd not recommend attaching KIS blocks to the ground (even though there is such an ability). Those parts have issues, but people were ok with them because there were no alternatives. Now, there is a stock anchor, which presumably is much more stable.

And in general, if you don't really need to statically attach a vessel to the ground, then don't do it "just in case". For the refueling purpose unattached pylons (like "GP-20 Pylon") are just fine. They will move slightly on the scene load, but with the flexible pipes (like "Hose-70") it's not a problem.

Edited by IgorZ

• 3 weeks later...

Testing KAS and I was wondering, is there a way to transfer fuel using KAS, bypassing parts that has no crossfeeding (crossfeeding rules apply), between tanks on the same vessel or vessels that are docked to one another?

11 hours ago, LN400 said:

Testing KAS and I was wondering, is there a way to transfer fuel using KAS, bypassing parts that has no crossfeeding (crossfeeding rules apply), between tanks on the same vessel or vessels that are docked to one another?

No, RTS part can only work between two separate vessels.

• 3 months later...

I've got a strange issue, running 1.12.5

I've got Bill up in orbit with a screwdriver, and he's trying to bolt on some pipe connectors to a mun-destined craft, but it initially would only let me drop, not srfattach despite pressing x or h.  I could snap the part in hand to nodes, but not actually attach only drop in place.

I tried grabbing a tail fin off my refuel ship, and was able to place it back OK.

Then I went to try and put the connector on the mun craft, and this time it beeped an onscreen error at me saying 'tool required'.

I tried grabbing a rover wheel off the mun craft, and put it back just fine, then I was able to put the pipe connector on the mun ship.

I did eventually get the fuel across, but it sorta seems like I need to pull a part off of a specific craft before I can put things onto it at the moment??

I didn't have any trouble with the wrench when I was building comms relay stations on Kerbin's mountains earlier; not sure what the difference might be, but in that case it was a single stayputnik getting a DP-10, batteries and some solar panels wrenched on from inventory.  This is the first time I'm using the screwdriver this game and things are wacky in orbit.

Found this in the logs.  Really don't understand how I managed to finagle it to work at all given the messages:

[LOG 21:27:54.533] [Part:kerbalEVA (Bill Kerman) (id=F2981789050)#Module:18] End item pickup: item=JS-1 Joint Socket, fromPart=[Part:kerbalEVA (Bill Kerman) (id=F2981789050)]
[LOG 21:27:54.543] KIS UI lock acquired
[LOG 21:27:54.544] Set pointer mode to: Drop
[ERR 21:27:55.284] Module ModuleKISInventory threw during OnUpdate: System.NullReferenceException
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component.GetComponentFastPath(UnityEngine.Component,System.Type,intptr)
  at UnityEngine.Component.GetComponent[T] () [0x00021] in <2425394cf09642369e2109953e31f62b>:0 
  at KIS.KISAddonPickup.CheckIsAttachable (Part checkPart, Part refPart, System.Func`2[T,TResult] checkNodesFn, System.Boolean reportToConsole) [0x00000] in <f5b78795b85e480894e49c47c6e38046>:0 
  at KIS.KISAddonPickup.EnableAttachMode () [0x000f1] in <f5b78795b85e480894e49c47c6e38046>:0 
  at KIS.ModuleKISItemAttachTool.OnItemUse (KIS.KIS_Item item, KIS.KIS_Item+UseFrom useFrom) [0x00003] in <f5b78795b85e480894e49c47c6e38046>:0 
  at KIS.KIS_Item.Use (KIS.KIS_Item+UseFrom useFrom) [0x00013] in <f5b78795b85e480894e49c47c6e38046>:0 
  at KIS.ModuleKISInventory.UpdateKey () [0x000f6] in <f5b78795b85e480894e49c47c6e38046>:0 
  at KIS.ModuleKISInventory.OnUpdate () [0x00006] in <f5b78795b85e480894e49c47c6e38046>:0 
  at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x0004a] in <be370b73275e49439ea5e41ceef6700f>:0 

[EXC 21:27:59.156] NullReferenceException
	UnityEngine.Component.GetComponent[T] () (at <2425394cf09642369e2109953e31f62b>:0)
	KIS.KISAddonPickup.CheckIsAttachable (Part checkPart, Part refPart, System.Func`2[T,TResult] checkNodesFn, System.Boolean reportToConsole) (at <f5b78795b85e480894e49c47c6e38046>:0)
	KIS.KISAddonPickup.EnableAttachMode () (at <f5b78795b85e480894e49c47c6e38046>:0)
	KIS.KISAddonPickup.Update () (at <f5b78795b85e480894e49c47c6e38046>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)
[ERR 21:28:06.349] Module ModuleKISInventory threw during OnUpdate: System.NullReferenceException
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component.GetComponentFastPath(UnityEngine.Component,System.Type,intptr)
  at UnityEngine.Component.GetComponent[T] () [0x00021] in <2425394cf09642369e2109953e31f62b>:0 
  at KIS.KISAddonPickup.CheckIsAttachable (Part checkPart, Part refPart, System.Func`2[T,TResult] checkNodesFn, System.Boolean reportToConsole) [0x00000] in <f5b78795b85e480894e49c47c6e38046>:0 
  at KIS.KISAddonPickup.EnableAttachMode () [0x000f1] in <f5b78795b85e480894e49c47c6e38046>:0 
  at KIS.ModuleKISItemAttachTool.OnItemUse (KIS.KIS_Item item, KIS.KIS_Item+UseFrom useFrom) [0x00003] in <f5b78795b85e480894e49c47c6e38046>:0 
  at KIS.KIS_Item.Use (KIS.KIS_Item+UseFrom useFrom) [0x00013] in <f5b78795b85e480894e49c47c6e38046>:0 
  at KIS.ModuleKISInventory.UpdateKey () [0x000f6] in <f5b78795b85e480894e49c47c6e38046>:0 
  at KIS.ModuleKISInventory.OnUpdate () [0x00006] in <f5b78795b85e480894e49c47c6e38046>:0 

[ERR 21:28:07.481] Module ModuleKISInventory threw during OnUpdate: System.NullReferenceException

[LOG 21:28:08.494] Set pointer mode to: Nothing

18 hours ago, suicidejunkie said:

I've got a strange issue, running 1.12.5

I've got Bill up in orbit with a screwdriver, and he's trying to bolt on some pipe connectors to a mun-destined craft, but it initially would only let me drop, not srfattach despite pressing x or h.  I could snap the part in hand to nodes, but not actually attach only drop in place.

I tried grabbing a tail fin off my refuel ship, and was able to place it back OK.

Then I went to try and put the connector on the mun craft, and this time it beeped an onscreen error at me saying 'tool required'.

I tried grabbing a rover wheel off the mun craft, and put it back just fine, then I was able to put the pipe connector on the mun ship.

I did eventually get the fuel across, but it sorta seems like I need to pull a part off of a specific craft before I can put things onto it at the moment??

I didn't have any trouble with the wrench when I was building comms relay stations on Kerbin's mountains earlier; not sure what the difference might be, but in that case it was a single stayputnik getting a DP-10, batteries and some solar panels wrenched on from inventory.  This is the first time I'm using the screwdriver this game and things are wacky in orbit.

Found this in the logs.  Really don't understand how I managed to finagle it to work at all given the messages:

Definitley looks like a problem. Thanlks fop the log, it helps. I've created a bug.

Thank you for the update that allowed me to use Harpoon again

I really like Harpoon, which allows me to stably land on the surface of a low gravity satellite

However, in use, there may be difficulties in connecting the surface due to insertion angle or speed

Is there any way to adjust in the cfg file

20 hours ago, cafelate said:

Thank you for the update that allowed me to use Harpoon again

I really like Harpoon, which allows me to stably land on the surface of a low gravity satellite

However, in use, there may be difficulties in connecting the surface due to insertion angle or speed

Is there any way to adjust in the cfg file

Try playing with "maxHitAngle". It's 45 degrees by default.

7 hours ago, cafelate said:

Thank you for your answer  

But I cannot find the parameter for" maxHitAngle "in KAS\Parts\Harpoon\part.cfg  

Each parameter has a default value. If it's not lsited in CFG, then it will be dfeault. Just add a mising parameter and you'll be good. In this case it's module "KASModuleDart".

You may alos find useful the debug abilities of KAS. Find file "KAS/settings.cfg" and change setting "partAlignToolKey" to a hot key (e.g. "&L" which is "Alt+L"). This way you'll be able to adjust parts values in the game time (not persisted though).

19 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Each parameter has a default value. If it's not lsited in CFG, then it will be dfeault. Just add a mising parameter and you'll be good. In this case it's module "KASModuleDart".

You may alos find useful the debug abilities of KAS. Find file "KAS/settings.cfg" and change setting "partAlignToolKey" to a hot key (e.g. "&L" which is "Alt+L"). This way you'll be able to adjust parts values in the game time (not persisted though).

debug  is very easy to use.Most parameter adjustments can be effective

but only the "maxHitAngle" adjustment has no response,Neither positive nor negative parameters allow the harpoon to tilt into the ground,harpoons can only be inserted at a 90 degree angle into the ground.

This is probably not the problem I can solve anymore

In addition, I updated Version: 8 of zh-cn.cfg

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tdT-HO4zIfWiNpdE7wCmTUBYiulJiKIi/view?usp=share_link