[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

Someone know what I'm doing wrong while trying to attach these two vessels?

TE4xuP0.jpg

I click "attach" but nothing happens, I only hear a weird sound. Maximum length and maximum angle were already adjusted in the .cfg files so they are not an issue.

VzHYyVI.jpg

After second or third attempt everything has exploded and I ended up with this below:

7jqgIF7.png

Currently the only solution I can think of is to remove TAC life support so I will not need KAS as well.

Edited by winged

5 hours ago, winged said:

I click "attach" but nothing happens, I only hear a weird sound. Maximum length and maximum angle were already adjusted in the .cfg files so they are not an issue.

Give me your adjusted configs, please. The very least issue which I see is the pipe renderer not adjusted (the part doesn't visually reach the other vessel).

MODULE
    {
        name = KASModuleTwoEndsSphereJoint
        isUnlockedJoint = true
        // see: minLinkLength in logs
        minLinkLength = 0.8037
        // see: maxLinkLength in logs
        maxLinkLength = 8.1652
        sourceLinkAngleLimit = 175
        targetLinkAngleLimit = 175
    }

9 hours ago, winged said:

MODULE
    {
        name = KASModuleTwoEndsSphereJoint
        isUnlockedJoint = true
        // see: minLinkLength in logs
        minLinkLength = 0.8037
        // see: maxLinkLength in logs
        maxLinkLength = 8.1652
        sourceLinkAngleLimit = 175
        targetLinkAngleLimit = 175
    }

Hmm. Tried it and no issues found. Can you make a small video to demonstrate the disaster? Btw, is it TJ2 or TJ1?

On 30.06.2017 at 6:07 AM, IgorZ said:

Hmm. Tried it and no issues found. Can you make a small video to demonstrate the disaster? Btw, is it TJ2 or TJ1?

I've tried second time and it worked fine so I wasn't able to reproduce the issue.

I saw a thing a few pages back that sounded like this, but I didn't understand the fix or whether you were ever able to reproduce it.  It looks like it's new as of the 1.3 update, that KAS connector ports are not specified as crossfeed-capable, so they don't work to transfer fuel if the "Resource Transfer Obeys Crossfeed Rules" setting is on.

I don't think any of my other mods would be impacting this, but if you want the full list of what I'm running, let me know and I'll write it up. (Mostly it's visual enhancements, the Near Future mods, and some contract packs.)  I can also provide a sandbox save game where the problem manifests.

While I'm at it, what is the purpose of the Plug, Unplug, and Pump Here connector port buttons?  I can't tell that they do anything, unless they're meant for interfacing with some other mod pack.

Edited by Darth Pseudonym

3 hours ago, Darth Pseudonym said:

I saw a thing a few pages back that sounded like this, but I didn't understand the fix or whether you were ever able to reproduce it.  It looks like it's new as of the 1.3 update, that KAS connector ports are not specified as crossfeed-capable, so they don't work to transfer fuel if the "Resource Transfer Obeys Crossfeed Rules" setting is on.

It's not a 1.3 issue. The same behavior applies to the previous versions as well. The old KAS just doesn't support this new game settings. You may try KAS 1.0 Beta which properly handles the joints. If you want to keep using the old KAS you'll need to disable the setting.

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

It's not a 1.3 issue. The same behavior applies to the previous versions as well. The old KAS just doesn't support this new game settings. You may try KAS 1.0 Beta which properly handles the joints. If you want to keep using the old KAS you'll need to disable the setting.

Huh.  Okay, I coulda sworn they worked before.  Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to attach chutes to probe floating in space, when I do this, I get "x broke apart due t g forces 2253 / 50 G". Any ideas? Didn't ever have such issues before 1.3 (stupid patch, lots of trouble and nothing really useful).

Update: forgot to hold H during attachment, fancy hotkey system, forget it)

Edited by Mystique

• 2 weeks later...

@IgorZ I just wanted to drop in and say thank you for sticking around as long as you have keeping KIS / KAS running as smoothly as you have.

I don't intend to sound as though I am poking at you for an update or anything of the like. Just curious if you have made any new progress on the new winches and hopefully there breaking strength. I've kinda been avoiding any builds with winches, as I just can't seem to keep them attached to the craft when I put them under any kind of decent strain.

That video you posted a while back of the new winch testing, appeared that the winch line itself was a bit more stable than the original one when nothing was attaché to the line. Just wanted to let you know there are plenty of us quite interested in the work you've been doing on KAS 1.0 :)

2 hours ago, V8jester said:
@IgorZ I just wanted to drop in and say thank you for sticking around as long as you have keeping KIS / KAS running as smoothly as you have.

I don't intend to sound as though I am poking at you for an update or anything of the like. Just curious if you have made any new progress on the new winches and hopefully there breaking strength. I've kinda been avoiding any builds with winches, as I just can't seem to keep them attached to the craft when I put them under any kind of decent strain.

That video you posted a while back of the new winch testing, appeared that the winch line itself was a bit more stable than the original one when nothing was attaché to the line. Just wanted to let you know there are plenty of us quite interested in the work you've been doing on KAS 1.0 :)

I'm currently working on the winches in KAS 1.0. There is good progress but so far no release version. Also, I've figured out why the winch gets ripped off the craft sometimes. The cable strength in the old KAS is fixed to 999 kN, when the force is stronger, the cable joint breaks, and due to the Unity/KSP implementation so does the part's join. In Unity it's tricky to figure out which joint has broke if there were multiple on the same game object. In 1.0 I'm going to solve it, as well as allow specifying the cable strength.

Good evening.

Tell please what happened to strut1 ? If there is any replacement for an inline strut ? Maybe there's a legacy part pack i missed ?

cport1 was replaced, but strut1 wasn't. This little part looked both nice and handy.

18 minutes ago, _Astra_ said:

Good evening.

Tell please what happened to strut1 ? If there is any replacement for an inline strut ? Maybe there's a legacy part pack i missed ?

cport1 was replaced, but strut1 wasn't. This little part looked both nice and handy.

KAS 0.6.3 has all the mentioned parts unchanged. You probably refer the KAS 1.0 mod, which is in Beta stage. It's not complete yet, and it significantly changes the approach to the KAS concept. See more details in the dedicated thread

I remember we probably discussed that cport1 to be deprecated, but losing strut1 is is very frustrating.

Thank you for answerring soon, but what happens if i put 0.6.3 into the KSP 1.3 setup in addition to 1.0? Or maybe i need to merge these two manually?

Update. trying to find 0.6.3 but it looks being missed from the releases.

Edited by _Astra_

10 minutes ago, _Astra_ said:

Thank you for answerring soon, but what happens if i put 0.6.3 into the KSP 1.3 setup in addition to 1.0? Or maybe i need to merge these two manually?

You don't need to merge them. Just install them both and use the appropriate parts. The mods are not conflicting. However, you should understand that 1.0 is not final. The may be changes that will be incompatible with your save files.

12 minutes ago, _Astra_ said:

Update. trying to find 0.6.3 but it looks being missed from the releases.

KAS 0.6.3. is not on GitHub releases. Please, follow the installation steps in OP.

I'm sure this has been hit before (I've sure hit it enough).  I've got a Kontainer Tank - Flat 1.25m that just won't attach to anything.  I know I've got the part hovering over an attachment node, but when I click to attach, it says the part can't be surface attached.  No amount of rotating, moving or changing nodes seems to make a difference.  I attached a Kontainer Tank - Round in the same spot with no problems.  Anybody know what to do about this?

2 minutes ago, NermNermNerm said:

I'm sure this has been hit before (I've sure hit it enough).  I've got a Kontainer Tank - Flat 1.25m that just won't attach to anything.  I know I've got the part hovering over an attachment node, but when I click to attach, it says the part can't be surface attached.  No amount of rotating, moving or changing nodes seems to make a difference.  I attached a Kontainer Tank - Round in the same spot with no problems.  Anybody know what to do about this?

KAS doesn't deal with the parts attaching. KIS does. Which KIS attachment tool do you use to connect the parts?

Just now, NermNermNerm said:

Sorry for the confusion - I was using the wrench.  Is there a difference?

Yes, there is a difference. Wrench can only attach via the stack nodes. Use screwdriver for attaching on surface (and via the stack nodes).

1 minute ago, IgorZ said:

Yes, there is a difference. Wrench can only attach via the stack nodes. Use screwdriver for attaching on surface (and via the stack nodes).

Hm.  Good to know.  But in this case, I was intending to attach on the stack node.  I was able to use a wrench to attach a Spherical container in the very same spot where I couldn't attach a Flat container.

4 minutes ago, NermNermNerm said:

Hm.  Good to know.  But in this case, I was intending to attach on the stack node.  I was able to use a wrench to attach a Spherical container in the very same spot where I couldn't attach a Flat container.

The node on the source part (the one you are attaching) does matter. If the node is "surface", then it won't get attached by a wrench. You can change cycle thru the available nodes by pressing "R". I'm not familiar with the container you mentioned since it's non-stock, but I'm pretty sure it has a surface node, which KIS selects by default. If surface node is the only node on the part than wrench is no go at all.

Hello everyone. I'm trying to connect two vessels with a winch and connector port using a non-rigid connection (linked via a movable cable). When I use the undocked plug mod, it gives me the right type of cable but does not unite the two vessels into a single vessel. Using the docked plug mode does connect them, but the connection between winch/port becomes rigid.

Is there a setting or bit of code I can change to make the docked plug mode a non-rigid connection?

Using v0.6.3. Does KAS 1.0 have this option?

Edited by MikeKerman
Added KAS version info.