[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

3 hours ago, Danilo Coelho said:

Any chances of a 1.0 release for 1.4.5?

I believe the answer you're looking for is on the previous page of this topic.  If I understand it correctly, KAS 1.0 will work with KSP 1.4.5.  I'm sure I'll be corrected if it isn't.

You can always try it out for yourself on a test game.  Copy your current game directory and then install KAS 1.0 in that game and give it a whirl.

AMAZING MOD!! KAS/KIS is among the top three BEST MODS for KSP.

I've owned KSP since version 0.13. I've loved/hated this game for years. I'm not a gamer and I'm certainly not any kind of computer wiz. I've worked in medical administration for 30 years. I bought this game for $8.00 when it was still in development and owned by the Squad Boys. I bought this game on the ground floor because I love space. I think I caught the space bug after watching Neil Armstrong step out of the LEM on my parent's B&W back in 1969. I cried while holding my young wife in 1986, as we watched Challenger come apart live on my own TV, killing the first civilian non-astronaut. Space, and all it's possibilities, have captivated me all my life. When I saw a Youtube video of Kerbal Space Program I was instantly hooked. 

I've watched this game develop into an amazing physics simulator. A simulator truly unlike any other. It is truly a work of art to people like me, who's introduction to gaming and to simulators was Flight Simulator (yeah, the first one) and Sim City (again, the first one), on my uncle's 8-bit. But I'm not a gamer, mind you. What folks like IgorZ do is magic to me. Hell, I can't even figure out how to post a damn photo on this thread. I've never posted to a forum before, either. I'm not a gamer. I'm not a computer wiz.

KSP has forced me to improve both my gaming skills and my computer operating skills. Thirty years of using a computer and hospital administration work taught me a lot but I dipped into a different world when I started KSP. The first time I downloaded Mechjeb I about threw my 23" all-in-one through the window. I've had to contend with every single frustrating update and patch since Jeb was practically born. When it went to Steam, which I think is a good improvement, especially for idiots like me, I bought the best Dell computer (or at least the most expensive) they make. Somewhere around one gazillion times the computing power that Armstrong, Aldrin, and Collins every dreamed of.

Managing a department of a major hospital keeps me from playing very often and a lot of my mods were outdated and glitchy. It didn't help when 1.5 made it impossible for Magdalin Kerbin to fill the munar base water tanks with the munar water buffalo. I almost fired three CNAs that day. 

I got on this forum (I ghost here often) and got in touch with old IgorZ here. He fixed my water issue in about two hours. And then he went and made a WHOLE NEW KAS!! Well, I ain't gonna stop playing KSP and I'm certainly not gonna throw a $3,500 Dell from my fourth floor balcony, so I wiped my KSP and started fresh. Using IgorZ's suggestions, I finally got CKAN to work right and got all my favorite mods back, including this new version of KAS. My KIS is smooth as silk, cuz Igor and I'm finally gonna tackle learning this crazy MKS system. I'm sticking with 1.4.5 until some of the other mods I like catch up, which shouldn't be too long I guess. Some already have. Think we're still waiting for a KIS 1.5 patch to drop?

IgorZ, you da man. This mod is great. It really takes KSP to the next level.
Thanks. :cool:

How do you post a photo to this forum. I ain't got time to look it up.

Edited by MrSpeakeasy29

@Danilo Coelho, @Brigadier@dlrk

To the best of my knowledge KAS 1.0 should work in KSP 1.4.5 in spite of I was compiling it for KSP 1.5. I have not planned to make a release for 1.4.5, but since many people asked - I'll check when I'm at home. If it's not compatible, I'll build another version and post it on CurseForge.

@MrSpeakeasy29,

Thanks for the warm words! It's very encouraging to see the fans support :) 

Just now, IgorZ said:

@Danilo Coelho, @Brigadier@dlrk

To the best of my knowledge KAS 1.0 should work in KSP 1.4.5 in spite of I was compiling it for KSP 1.5. I have not planned to make a release for 1.4.5, but since many people asked - I'll check when I'm at home. If it's not compatible, I'll build another version and post it on CurseForge.

Many thanks for this consideration but, at least for me, it's not required.  I'm happy to wait and will move to 1.5.x soon but when the dust settles a little bit more (I have until February for KAS, no? :D).  I would hate to think that you're undertaking an additional task to backport and support a new KAS version on an older KSP.  You have to start somewhere, and by extension, end somewhere too.  I suspect I'll get a few counter opinions but I would encourage to you to move on and dedicate your finite time to improving what looks to be a solid, worthwhile rewrite of KAS.

2 hours ago, IgorZ said:

KAS 1.0 works perfectly in 1.4.5. 

What about KIS?  They seem to be dependent on each other.  Forinstance you cannot carry anything while on EVA without putting it in your inventory.  How do you attach things without the drill or wrench?

2 minutes ago, ctbram said:

What about KIS?  They seem to be dependent on each other.  Forinstance you cannot carry anything while on EVA without putting it in your inventory.  How do you attach things without the drill or wrench?

They aren't completely dependent on each other.  If you attach the ports and attachment points before launch, all of KAS is still usable.

KIS is being worked on, from it's thread.  It should be ready for 1.5 soon.

thanks.  I need it because I have a lander that needs refueling and has no docking port.  I placed two of the fuel nozzles on the refueling ship but have no way to move one over to my lander that is parked right next to the refueling ship./

On 11/22/2016 at 1:44 PM, IgorZ said:

Depends on what you do with the port. If you manipulate with link status then replacement will be ILinkSource interface. If you manipulate with winch status then it's not designed for now in KAS 1.0. It will likely be a new interface but no promises.

KronalVesselViewer cannot be recompiled for 1.5 because both the KASModulePort is gone, and apparently the ILinkSource isn't there.  What replaces them?

19 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

KronalVesselViewer cannot be recompiled for 1.5 because both the KASModulePort is gone, and apparently the ILinkSource isn't there.  What replaces them?

The old KAS was re-compiled for 1.5 with no changes, so the old module is still there. What has changed is the location of the DLL, it's now: "KAS/LEGACY/Plugins/KAS.dll". As for the new staff, see the doc pages or simply browse the assembly. Make note to the new assembly: KAS-API-v1.dll. This is where the KAS API stuff lives (including ILinkSource). As long as you don't need inheriting the KAS modules, you don't have to depend on KAS.dll. Btw, you can distribute the API assembly with your mod if you need it running even if KAS is not installed. This approach won't work if you depend on the KAS modules, though.

Edited by IgorZ

Just now, IgorZ said:

The old KAS was re-compiled for 1.5 with no changes, so the old module is still there. What has changed is the location of the DLL, it's now: "KAS/LEGACY/Plugins/KAS.dll". As for the new staff, see the doc pages or simply browse the assembly. Make note to the new assembly: KAS-API-v1.dll. This is where the KAS API stuff lives (including ILinkSource). As long as you don't need inheriting the KAS modules, you don't have to depend on KAS.dll. Btw, you can distribute the API assembly with your mod if you need it running even if KAS is installed. This approach won't work if you depend on the KAS modules, though.

Thanks.

For the future, what will be replacing it, functionality-wise?  KVV treats this as an explodable part for the diagrams it makes

How the hell do I use the new ports to connect in flight (Yes, I have the 1.5 version of KIS and KAS installed)? Placing down pylons, attaching ports and everything works fine, but I can't interact with the ports (Only available option is Aim/Reset camera). EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. If anyone else is wondering: Only certain parts can act as a cable sorce now, can't start a link at a port.

Also, EVA attachment does not give me a "preview" for placement anymore, I have to guess where the part will end up. Is that intentional? (I guess it would be a KIS issue and not KAS, but whatevs)

Edited by DragonsForce

11 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

For the future, what will be replacing it, functionality-wise?  KVV treats this as an explodable part for the diagrams it makes

Replacing what specifically? The KASModulePort module? There are no direct replacement to it. Old KAS was connecting parts via "port <=> port" link, but in the new KAS it's "link source => link target". Depending on what do you need, you should  deal with the appropriate end of the link (or both). In general, if you need checking if the part initiates KAS connections (i.e. it can be a source), then you do this:

var sources = part.FindModulesImplementing<ILinkSource>();
if (sources.Count > 0) {
  // do your logic...
}

Similarly, you search for ILinkTarget if you need to deal with the other end of the link. Keep in mind that one part can have multiple source and target modules.

3 hours ago, DragonsForce said:

Also, EVA attachment does not give me a "preview" for placement anymore, I have to guess where the part will end up. Is that intentional? (I guess it would be a KIS issue and not KAS, but whatevs)

Could you please give some screenshots for what are you doing and give a bit more information on what do you expect to see? A small video would be the best!

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

Could you please give some screenshots for what are you doing and give a bit more information on what do you expect to see? A small video would be the best!

rpcZjfq.png

This is what I expect it to look based on previous versions (image taken from the KIS handbook)

GnKhUsw.jpg

This is what it looks like for me. There is no visual indication of the object to be placed before I actually place it down.

EDIT: I just discovered that this still works for the old parts. It does not work for several of the new parts however. (I tested the non-batterie pylon and the two transfer pipe parts)

Edited by DragonsForce

3 hours ago, DragonsForce said:

EDIT: I just discovered that this still works for the old parts. It does not work for several of the new parts however. (I tested the non-batterie pylon and the two transfer pipe parts)

Thanks! Two bugs are logged: https://github.com/ihsoft/KAS/issues/249 and https://github.com/ihsoft/KIS/issues/275.

3 minutes ago, RB101 said:

Kas currently doesn't allow you to mount harpoon head the right way around when using a kerbal engineer in the field.

This is a major pain, please can you fix it? thanks ^_^

Harpoons and the other attachable stuff is not supported in KAS 1.0 yet. Once it's implemented, it will be properly working.

Edited by IgorZ

@IgorZ Question for you as I upgrade Pathfinder:

The old KAS had KASModulePort and KASModuleStrut, both of which I used for pipelines and the Mineshaft crew tube. Do I understand correctly that I now need KASLinkResourceConnector, KASRendererPipe, and KASJointCableBase?

Thanks again for all your hard work! Pathfinder has benefited greatly because of your efforts. :)