[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

The behavior of the new KAS parts change a lot. If you use winches, then the connector head is attached on the back of the kerbal. If you use so called "interactive parts", then the connections is done by mouse, and the green (or red) preview is only shown when you point over the compatible target. Which parts are you trying to connect?

6 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

The behavior of the new KAS parts change a lot. If you use winches, then the connector head is attached on the back of the kerbal. If you use so called "interactive parts", then the connections is done by mouse, and the green (or red) preview is only shown when you point over the compatible target. Which parts are you trying to connect?

weird, just loaded up my sandbox and threw a stock craft in their and all my previews show up like they used to..........*twilight zone music* thanks anyways

If I would intend to create a KAS-2.0-version (I'd basicially copy the part without overwriting it) of the KD-RecyclerSite which currently uses PipeSize1/old KAS style connection like this:

Spoiler

MODULE,4
	{
		name = KASModuleStrut
		nodeTransform = TransformKAS
		type = PipeSize1
		maxLenght = 20
		maxAngle = 100
		breakForce = 600
		allowDock = true
		allowPumpFuel = true
		hasCollider = false
		tubeScale = 0.15
		jointScale = 0.15
		textureTiling = 1
		tubeSrcType = Joined
		tubeTgtType = Joined
		evaStrutPos = (0.05, 0.059, -0.21)
		evaStrutRot = (190.0, 0.0, 0.0)
		tubeTexPath = KAS/Textures/pipe
	}

What needs to be changed or done to get this KAS-2.0-ready and which connection would be most recommend?

currently my cfg looks like:

Spoiler

// add new KD-RecycleSite_KAS part
+PART[KD-RecycleSite]:NEEDS[KeridianDynamics&KAS]
{
	@name = KD-RecycleSite_KAS
	@title = KD-RecycleSite_KAS

!MODULE,4 { }
	MODULE,4
	{
		name = KASLinkTargetBase

// AbstractLinkPeer
		linkType = MdHose
		linkTypeDisplayName = #kasLOC_99005 // #kasLOC_99005 = Hose-70
		attachNodeName = top
		allowCoupling = true
	}
}

Edited by LatiMacciato

41 minutes ago, LatiMacciato said:

uses PipeSize1/old KAS style connection like this:

In the current version it's not possible to simulate the old KAS behavior due to the bug. It'll be fixed in the new version on which I'm being working. Once it's done I'll release a mineshaft config for Pathfinder, you'll be able to reuse that config pretty easy in your part.

Just now, IgorZ said:

In the current version it's not possible to simulate the old KAS behavior due to the bug. It'll be fixed in the new version on which I'm being working. Once it's done I'll release a mineshaft config for Pathfinder, you'll be able to reuse that config pretty easy in your part.

Ahh okies! I noticed some NRE's when trying to connect it to the hose connection. I assume this is what you meant with the bug and I might just use the old KAS connection until then.

This also makes sense that people might have not updated their mods that uses such connection for some parts so I'm glad there is still the legacy parts in there :)

TY! @IgorZ

ok, ive run into a perdicament guys, i assumed the telescoping arms worked just like the EVA struts from before, and i guess i thought wrong and now my space station that ive spent all night working on is dead, well kind of.

heres a screenshot
j0Cn34l.jpg

ok, so everything is all fine and dandy accept for the four telescoping arms connecting from the bottom of the structural fuselage to the cone shaped fuel tank, at first they all four connected fine and i wanted to observe my work in better light, so i warped to the day side, and when i came out of warp all four of them disconnected and the station went into a death spin.

i corrected the spin and was able to get the two that are connected in the picture reconnected, but the other two will not connect at all, they just continuously say something about a compatible port, so i decided to head to bed for the night and work on it tommorow, flew bill back to the crew hatch and had him get in.

i quicksaved, closed the game and thought maybe i should get another screenshot for the board, and i load it up real quick, load my save, go to the tracking station, load the vessel, when the vessel spawns in the two that are connected break, the ship spins and explodes.

i panic and remmeber that i have a quick save from before i exited the game, i load the quick save, and get bill out of the station, as soon as he goes eva the things break again, ship death spirals, and explodes....... :(

please help me atleast save my station.

Edited by putnamto

7 hours ago, putnamto said:

ok, ive run into a perdicament guys, i assumed the telescoping arms worked just like the EVA struts from before, and i guess i thought wrong and now my space station that ive spent all night working on is dead, well kind of.

heres a screenshot
j0Cn34l.jpg

ok, so everything is all fine and dandy accept for the four telescoping arms connecting from the bottom of the structural fuselage to the cone shaped fuel tank, at first they all four connected fine and i wanted to observe my work in better light, so i warped to the day side, and when i came out of warp all four of them disconnected and the station went into a death spin.

i corrected the spin and was able to get the two that are connected in the picture reconnected, but the other two will not connect at all, they just continuously say something about a compatible port, so i decided to head to bed for the night and work on it tommorow, flew bill back to the crew hatch and had him get in.

i quicksaved, closed the game and thought maybe i should get another screenshot for the board, and i load it up real quick, load my save, go to the tracking station, load the vessel, when the vessel spawns in the two that are connected break, the ship spins and explodes.

i panic and remmeber that i have a quick save from before i exited the game, i load the quick save, and get bill out of the station, as soon as he goes eva the things break again, ship death spirals, and explodes....... :(

please help me atleast save my station.

Sounds bad. Please, share the log. I need the moment of links breaking captured. Also, are you using the stock parts only in that craft? If yes, please share the save file as well, I'll try debugging it locally.

when loading the quicksave today the ship didnt blow up, but as soon as bill got out of the ship he went into a death spiral, very weird.

maybe it has something to do with momentum? i dont know, im not smart i just play the game :)

anyways, heres the link to the drop box folder, game save and log are in their, if you load the game save its the station called ksp alexus in orbit of kerbin, if it explodes when loading load the quicksave called "fix it fix it fix it"

and yes, the ship should only have stock parts besides the KAS parts.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/asyfwymi120d1ud/AADxcBIyXQ9m8fJyWx1qCTe5a?dl=0

thank you

Edited by putnamto

34 minutes ago, putnamto said:

when loading the quicksave today the ship didnt blow up, but as soon as bill got out of the ship he went into a death spiral, very weird.

maybe it has something to do with momentum? i dont know, im not smart i just play the game :)

anyways, heres the link to the drop box folder, game save and log are in their, if you load the game save its the station called ksp alexus in orbit of kerbin, if it explodes when loading load the quicksave called "fix it fix it fix it"

and yes, the ship should only have stock parts besides the KAS parts.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/asyfwymi120d1ud/AADxcBIyXQ9m8fJyWx1qCTe5a?dl=0

thank you

Will take a close look on weekends. However, I did a quick check of the log and I do see exceptions from KAS. If I interpret the errors correctly, it seems like your game had some mod that was removed after the save file was persisted. It doesn't let the link to correctly restore the connection, but instead of simply disconnecting it throws an exception (it's bug, found it now). Have you done any changes to the mods in your game between the saves?

Please, let me know which save file is what. There are many of them there.

2 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Will take a close look on weekends. However, I did a quick check of the log and I do see exceptions from KAS. If I interpret the errors correctly, it seems like your game had some mod that was removed after the save file was persisted. It doesn't let the link to correctly restore the connection, but instead of simply disconnecting it throws an exception (it's bug, found it now). Have you done any changes to the mods in your game between the saves?

Please, let me know which save file is what. There are many of them there.

i added kopernicus a while and removed astronomers visual to replace it with SVE.

could this have to do with the update to 1.6? i was building the fuel tank for the station and the game crashed during a load screen, when i reloaded the game it was upped to 1.6, i i started a sandbox save to tinker with new stuff before rolling back to 1.5.1 to work on the station. if thats the problem what could be the solution?

as for save files i usually just play the persistant, but in this case i cant because the station goes patooey so i load the save "fix it, fix it, fix it"

6 minutes ago, putnamto said:

could this have to do with the update to 1.6?

It can. The error arises due to the number of modules on the part has changed (reduced, to be more specific). It seems I need to significantly refactor the approach of link persistence. Today the module index is a part of the key, so if the number of modules changes, the link may not be restored.

9 minutes ago, putnamto said:

if thats the problem what could be the solution?

The only solution is to rollback the mods state to the moment when the file was saved. If you've saved after that, nothing can be done since now the file is in the inconsistent state. Fixing of this bug should eliminate the error, but the link still won't be restored.

would removing the parts that break and replacing them with new ones cause any change? 
honestly im in damage control mode, i dont want to lose the save or the station.

if worse comes to worse i can ditch the station i have now and just cheat a new one up their, i dont know how or what that would affect though.

Edited by putnamto

Just now, putnamto said:

would removing the parts that break and replacing them with new ones cause any change? 

Given you'll be able to load the craft without explosions, it should work. I'd not recorecommend to re-reuse the detached parts, though. Even being removed with KIS they can theoretically keep the bad state. To be on a safe side, use the new parts.

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

Given you'll be able to load the craft without explosions, it should work. I'd not recorecommend to re-reuse the detached parts, though. Even being removed with KIS they can theoretically keep the bad state. To be on a safe side, use the new parts.

yeah they keep the broken state im thinking, i had already tried unnataching and reataching with KIS, even unnataching and putting in inventory, or putting into a container and still didnt change them. ill cheat some up their later when i play and post back with results.

EDIT: @IgorZ thank you sir, you are a squire and a gentleman, replaced all the telescoping arms and couplers with new ones, strapped explosives to the old ones and sent em out into deep space. you dont know how much i appreciate this, you just saved hours of my work in this career.

Edited by putnamto

sooooo, after attaching the new telescoping arms and the new couplers everything seemed dandy till i docked my erm docking arm to the station and tried to use the telescoping arms to brace it to the station and the same thing happened as soon as i fast travel, dock/undock anaything/eva a kerbal.

so im guessing just not use them till you get a chance to work out the bug? is their anything i can do to help? do you want my new log maybe?

in the meantime is their any other part/resource i can use to brace two things together that are connected at a right angle?

EDIT
i thought maybe it had to do with having the telescoping arms already attached to the vessell before getting to space, then linking them with the coupler was the problem, so i recreated the scenario in my sandbox save and the problem isnt their :(

Edited by putnamto

2 hours ago, putnamto said:

so im guessing just not use them till you get a chance to work out the bug? is their anything i can do to help? do you want my new log maybe?

The log will be very appreciated. I'd like to ask you to enable verbose logs before doing tests (Settings > General > Verbose Logging). Also, I'd like you to ask to not just doing random stuff until the crash happen, but doing something repeatable instead. Something you can repeat multiple times and get the same output. Something, which I can do and have the issue repeated.

so im guessing just not use them till you get a chance to work out the bug?

My fix only applies to a very specific case: some mods were removed from the game. Anything else needs testing and debugging to have fixed.

in the meantime is their any other part/resource i can use to brace two things together that are connected at a right angle?

The old KAS is still there. If it works for you, you may give it a try.

Edited by IgorZ

2 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

The log will be very appreciated. I'd like to ask you to enable verbose logs before doing tests (Settings > General > Verbose Logging). Also, I'd like you to ask to not just doing random stuff until the crash happen, but doing something repeatable instead. Something you can repeat multiple times and get the same output. Something, which I can do and have the issue repeated.

i replaced all the arms that i had launched with, with arms attached during eva and the problem went away, and ive done a ton of things since then, sorry. tommorow if i remember ill try to make it repeat so i can send you a fresh log.

i do have a button in my right click menu called verbose logging or something similar, never knew what the button did.

again, thanks for all your help, its very appreciated, if i can recreate the problem ill let you know asap.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a doubt:

i've captured an asteroid with claw and now i want use it as space station... KAS let me to attach a docking port on the asteroid in EVA with my engeneer... but, how strong is the connection between the asteroid surface and the docking port builded on it?

the claw make the ship and the asteroid like a single ship... if another object collides on my ship, the claw mantains the connection with the asteroid... but if the ship is connected via docking port to a docking port builded with KAS on the asteroid surface... if one object collides on my ship... the docking port builded on the asteroid surface will still on it or will be deatached?

Edited by Kerbinidiel

In using the KAS system I am not able to work out how to attach solar panels and winches and other items when in space. No matter how I use the screwdriver to attach them to a surface they always float away.

Can we have better videos of attaching the items when in space using the KSP 1.6 version please

KAS is amazing, and new KAS to me feels like another step up. A humble request though.. whilst new KAS definitely feels more plausible than some aspects of old KAS, it also limits some things that could previously be done. 

It makes sense that the rigid connectors require a Kerbal to attach, but would it be possible to change the disconnect to not need one? Or have one version that works that way? It could even be more expensive/ heavier/ need to electricity to do it. 

7 hours ago, IanCanberra said:

In using the KAS system I am not able to work out how to attach solar panels and winches and other items when in space. No matter how I use the screwdriver to attach them to a surface they always float away.

Can we have better videos of attaching the items when in space using the KSP 1.6 version please

KIS is the mod that allows attaching mew parts. KAS can only connect two vessels, given the needed parts are already in place. When you use KIS and a screwdriver, you need to press H or X to activate the attach function, otherwise the part will be just dropped nearby the target.

Took the resource transfer hoses out for a spin recently...

y6etgfb.png

Gotta admit, the functionality is MUCH needed, and I love it to bits.

However.

The restriction of 20 units of resource/second is reasonable for a single spool... but could it be a stackable flow rate? I.E., using two hoses raises the rate to 40u/second, or allows the flow of two resources at once?