[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

12 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

This game I've started using Simple Logistics to share resources between buildings so I don't have to rely on rigid connections and manually use an RTS-1 undocked to refuel craft.

If I get this mod description right, the resource distribution is only working right when the active vessel is loaded. Meaning, if you switch to a distant scene with a great delay (like, days or months) the resources distribution won't be right. Do you think this model is OK? I was thinking about it in RTS part, but assumed noone would like to have a behavior that only works when you have the scene loaded.

3 hours ago, IgorZ said:

If I get this mod description right, the resource distribution is only working right when the active vessel is loaded. Meaning, if you switch to a distant scene with a great delay (like, days or months) the resources distribution won't be right. Do you think this model is OK? I was thinking about it in RTS part, but assumed noone would like to have a behavior that only works when you have the scene loaded.

It's not ideal, but I really don't have a lot of experience yet to see how the limitations are hurting me.  I also haven't committed 100% to using it. Below is the base where I'm using it.  I'd think any mods that rely on background processing or a catch up mechanism would need to be aware of the SL resource sharing so they can access resources on other craft if SL isn't active.

The Launchpad in the background is why I installed Simple Logistics, but it only needs to be active when the scene is loaded and I'm transferring using an RTS-1.  One limitation I found I don't really like in SL is the craft with the the RTS-1 to must have storage for any resources you want to transfer.  The RTS-1 can't see everything in the logistics network otherwise, so my launchpad has containers around it's perimeter for any resource used in my game.  The RTS-1 can see them and transfer any of them in or out of a lander.  

YPphONF.jpg

Craft landing connected to an RTS-1 for transfer. Smallest size containers are a local cache that SL keeps topped up while transferring.  So I can fill a 3.75m ore tank from a 1.25m size tank on the launchpad without delays. RTS-1 used for final connection to lander.  My game "rules" assume underground connection between launchpad and base buildings, but someone still has to go out and manually connect a hose to transfer resources to a lander. SL has a mechanism for the lander to request resources from the network, but it's UI is still flaky in the version on CKAN@zer0Kerbal was real gung-ho for a while, but has been mostly MIA the last several months.

xOAXgYl.jpg

On 7/5/2020 at 12:41 AM, Tonka Crash said:

@darthgently I get what you are trying to do, I just don't understand why bother?  It's you find it tedious to use a bunch of little containers, why not just use a bigger one?  Or you could look at mods that build things on site instead of hauling parts around. (Extraplantary Launcpads or OSE Workshop)

That isn't exactly what I'm getting at.  For example I want to define a "rover parts kit" ( a lot of wheels mostly, ha ha), or another example a container with a variety of solar panels that commonly get busted up by Jeb not looking where he is going etc.  I want to define contents of a container then be able to make copies of that container with its contents without having to place each wheel in each container each time.  I want to grab a "rover parts kit" from my custom category.  I'm looking into the manufacturing but for now I just need to get my first bases going.  I can't decide which manufacturing mod to focus on.  Then there is the issue of yet another mod and how stability goes down as number of mods goes up, lol. 

I figured out the .craft file stuff and am looking into what it would take to make a mod.  What I'm thinking for now is that if you tag name a container in a .craft file 'rover parts' and it has contents, then the script would look for any other container of the same type, even if empty, that has '[rover parts]' (with the square brackets) as the tag name.  The script would populate the empties using the one named 'rover parts' as a reference.  The contents of a KIS container in a .craft file is real straightforward from what I've figured out so far so this really isn't making it complicated if one is comfortable scripting and parsing text files, but yeah, an in game mod would be better.  Coding a mod isn't my comfort zone at this time

I'm having a weird issue with decouplers. Connecting a winch to a connector in the VAB and then using a decoupler near it is causing an issue where the winch "breaks" in to two separate crafts with a rope length of 0. I've been able to reproduce the issue with a fresh craft successfully. KSP version 1.8.1 with KAS 1.6. I'll leave a link to the github where I created an issue. Steps to reproduce are in the github link. This is really hurting my progress on recreating the curiosity landing with kOS.

https://github.com/ihsoft/KAS/issues/297

@Fatgecko5 Are you staging the decoupler or activating it manually?  I ran into an issue a few months ago while researching winch based skycranes and was finding that activating staging if a winch connection was on a craft caused all stages to fire at once. But I never got around to isolating it.

13 hours ago, Perseus109 said:

I am having some issues with KIS/KAS, hoping you all can help.  Tools and parts are just disappearing.  Also, I seem to be unable to attach the cb1 ground base to the ground.  I made a video  to show this.

KIS (not KAS) has this problem with KSP 1.10.  Inventories and attaching parts on EVA are KIS. You'll have to wait for KIS to be updated and maybe KSP as well.

18 hours ago, Perseus109 said:

I am having some issues with KIS/KAS, hoping you all can help.  Tools and parts are just disappearing.  Also, I seem to be unable to attach the cb1 ground base to the ground.  I made a video  to show this.

Thank you for reporting it. And absolutely thanks for making a video! I like videos as a way of troubleshooting :)  Specifically this issue is known and being tracked. It's a KSP 1.10 issue, it shouldn't happen in the previous versions. I'm working on the issue and it will be resolved in the next version of KIS.

Btw, in the video you've mentioned you have no idea how to equip the portable container. Well, it's easy - simply drag and drop it onto kerbal ;)  Another way is dropping the container into the kerbal inventory.

On 7/11/2020 at 3:29 AM, IgorZ said:

Thank you for reporting it. And absolutely thanks for making a video! I like videos as a way of troubleshooting :)  Specifically this issue is known and being tracked. It's a KSP 1.10 issue, it shouldn't happen in the previous versions. I'm working on the issue and it will be resolved in the next version of KIS.

Btw, in the video you've mentioned you have no idea how to equip the portable container. Well, it's easy - simply drag and drop it onto kerbal ;)  Another way is dropping the container into the kerbal inventory.

Thank you for the answer!  I thought I was going crazy.  :)

@Joker58th @Tonka Crash I had a very similar explosion problem with an orbital station. I was attaching a regular docking port, not the SSPX shrouded port, but: 1) the regular port has variants added to it by SSPX and/or Restock; 2) there are other SSPX parts on the station.

My workaround was to not drag the docking port directly from inventory to an attach node. Instead, I dragged from inventory to surface attach, then moved from surface attach to node attach. I've reliably docked and undocked to that station multiple times since so it seems stable.

4 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

Someone else reported problems with a SSPX docking port recently in the KIS thread (where this belongs).  I'm wondering if has anything to do with B9 partswitch on the parts, but haven't had time to test that yet.

My bad, I've never really thought about the difference between the KIS/KAS since I always have them installed together.  Just thought attaching stuff was KAS related.  I see the posts in the KIS thread so I'll watch over there.

2 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

@Joker58th @Tonka Crash I had a very similar explosion problem with an orbital station. I was attaching a regular docking port, not the SSPX shrouded port, but: 1) the regular port has variants added to it by SSPX and/or Restock; 2) there are other SSPX parts on the station.

My workaround was to not drag the docking port directly from inventory to an attach node. Instead, I dragged from inventory to surface attach, then moved from surface attach to node attach. I've reliably docked and undocked to that station multiple times since so it seems stable.

I did notice that if I dropped the part on the surface and then attach it, it worked.  Now I just need to practice this in orbit with the crew tube part.

On 7/15/2020 at 9:44 AM, Joker58th said:

I did notice that if I dropped the part on the surface and then attach it, it worked.

This is a suggested workaround for now. Drop/attach works completely differently from pull/attach. Long story why. In nutshell, drot/attach let's the part be initialized in a more "natural" way. The difference is negligible for the regular parts, but there are edge cases.

• 2 weeks later...

1.7 (July 30th, 2020):

• [Change] Better react on the attached part(s) destruction to properly reset the link state.
  • [Change] Some performance improvement for the winch connector handling.
  • [Change] Update EN/RU localizations to version 6.
  • [Change] Update Chinese localization.
  • [Fix #295] Stop using MiniAVC.dll in favor of MiniAVC-V2.dll.
  • [Fix #297] Decoupling near winch connected in editor causes the winch to break in to two separate vessels.

4 hours ago, Saberdo said:

Hi at all. I got the problem that i cant link any of the connectors to another one. i only get the "dissassemble part" button. pls help. 

You probably have it installed incorrectly or are missing dependencies.  Without logs we can't tell what's going wrong.  

3 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

You probably have it installed incorrectly or are missing dependencies.  Without logs we can't tell what's going wrong.  

I just installed the game freshly new. installed kas with ckan. problem still there. could you pls tell who the logs are located? 

1 hour ago, Saberdo said:

I just installed the game freshly new. installed kas with ckan. problem still there. could you pls tell who the logs are located? 

Look for KSP.log in the main directory where the game installed.  On my computer this is C:\Games\Kerbal Space Program.  Upload it to a file sharing site like Dropbox or Google Drive and share a link here.

5 hours ago, Saberdo said:

To amplify what Tonka said, read this post (or at the link in my sig block) for the locations which are OS dependent.

Edited by Brigadier
better link

4 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

To amplify what Tonka said, read this post (or at the link in my sig block) for the locations which are OS dependent.

To contradict what @Brigadier said.  Please ignore the info in his post and upload the KSP.log as I originally asked.  It's much easier to search for errors than the player.log.