[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

I'm having an issue with KAS and would appreciate some advice. I'm trying to attach the winch to my space station in orbit. I surface attach the winch part fine, but when i try to add a grappling hook, its 'mounting' backwards (i.e pointing into the winch). I cant change its orientation or node attachment either. Anyone else having a similar issue or know a quick fix?

14 hours ago, Qwarkk said:

I'm having an issue with KAS and would appreciate some advice. I'm trying to attach the winch to my space station in orbit. I surface attach the winch part fine, but when i try to add a grappling hook, its 'mounting' backwards (i.e pointing into the winch). I cant change its orientation or node attachment either. Anyone else having a similar issue or know a quick fix?

I have same problem with magnet if u expand the winch a little u can retract it in correct way. although i did it in mun base and gravity helped.

On 6/29/2016 at 4:31 PM, Qwarkk said:

A screenshot would be helpful.

5 hours ago, IgorZ said:

A screenshot would be helpful.

Apologies. So here is the problem i described; I can only mount the grappling hook backwards:

9ptgRo3.pngsITdgn5.png

As @Silent1_87 mentioned, expanding and then retracting the winch resets the grappling hook to the correct orientation.

KAS is broken.  I detached a winch from a vessel, so now it's attached to the back of the Kerbal.  However, upon approaching the Winch, the "Lock Connector" does not work.  The connector is not transferred from the kerbal to the Winch.  It's stuck on his back.  I tried reattaching it to the mount point with "Plug Docked".  Failed.  I even tried entering a vessel to shake it off.  No joy.

EDIT:  reloaded a QuickSave.  The Connector is no longer attached,  It cannot be grabbed; it's already deployed.  I then grabbed Winch and stored in Kerbal's inventory.  Then reattached Winch to vessel.  The connector is now in locked position.  I then "Grab Connector", and goes onto the Kerbal's back.  Pressing the "Lock connector" at the Winch properly locks the connector.

I then attached the Connector to an attachment port (Docked) on another vessel.  Then, Unplugged Connector.  Returned to Winch.  Connector would not lock again.

Edited by Apollo13

2 hours ago, Apollo13 said:

KAS is broken.  I detached a winch from a vessel, so now it's attached to the back of the Kerbal.  However, upon approaching the Winch, the "Lock Connector" does not work.  The connector is not transferred from the kerbal to the Winch.  It's stuck on his back.  I tried reattaching it to the mount point with "Plug Docked".  Failed.  I even tried entering a vessel to shake it off.  No joy.

EDIT:  reloaded a QuickSave.  The Connector is no longer attached,  It cannot be grabbed; it's already deployed.  I then grabbed Winch and stored in Kerbal's inventory.  Then reattached Winch to vessel.  The connector is now in locked position.  I then "Grab Connector", and goes onto the Kerbal's back.  Pressing the "Lock connector" at the Winch properly locks the connector.

I then attached the Connector to an attachment port (Docked).  Then, Unplugged Connector.  Returned to Winch.  Connector would not lock again.

I never bring the connector back to the winch :) Have you tried to unplug the connector and retract it from the winch itself rather than with a Kerbal? Or, once you have it at the Kerbal, try Y to drop it and retract it from the winch - this should work. However I agree returning it by Karbal should also work, but I never use this.

1 hour ago, gamerscircle said:

I have returned with a link to a post that I shared over in MKS.

Here is the image of the possible bug:
http://imgur.com/No7hCYk

Here is the log file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8bgPP0DpwZeZ2tqdkh5WUlkYVE/view?usp=sharing

and I do have a save game file if you need it as well.

Again thank you for the support.

You use KAS 0.5.8 on KSP 1.1.3. It's not gonna work.

KAS v0.5.8.0 / v0.5.8 for KSP 1.1

. Upgrade to 0.5.9.

47 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

You use KAS 0.5.8 on KSP 1.1.3. It's not gonna work.

KAS v0.5.8.0 / v0.5.8 for KSP 1.1

. Upgrade to 0.5.9.

That did the trick, thank you for our paitence.  Let me ask you this, since Kerbal Planetary using the KAS feature, do you think that will resolve same "missing" flextube as well issue?

8 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

Let me ask you this, since Kerbal Planetary using the KAS feature, do you think that will resolve same "missing" flextube as well issue?

Never used this mod, so I don't know. What I can say for sure is that there is no way KAS 0.5.8 will work as intended under 1.1.3 :)

20 hours ago, Tekener said:

Have you tried to unplug the connector and retract it from the winch itself rather than with a Kerbal? Or, once you have it at the Kerbal, try Y to drop it and retract it from the winch - this should work. 

I have previously tried all your suggestions without success.  I've found that I must return the Kerbal to the Winch to release the Connector.

I have a problem:

- I'm in EVA with the goal to add more parachutes to a command pod
- I equip the wrench or screwdriver
- I use X or H to attach a parachute to the command pod, but it doesn't appear
- When I go to the space center and back to the ship, then the added chutes are visible as stages, but I don't see them on the command module itself
- When I try enter the atmosphere and try to deploy them at a safe altitude they fail to deploy because they are inside a fairing (I don't have fairings)

So I think they are added to the inside of the pod? I also tried attaching them to a crew hitchhikers module, but that has the same problem. I tried both 0.5.8 and 0.5.9.

7 hours ago, Apollo13 said:

I have previously tried all your suggestions without success.  I've found that I must return the Kerbal to the Winch to release the Connector.

Why do you need it? Winch GUI doesn't require kerbal to operate. Switch to the winch and retract the head. Then switch to kerbal, walk to the head and press "Y" - this way you grab it (attach to kerbal). Then walk to the connection port, choose it's context menu and select "Plug" - this will attach winch head to the port. At any time you can press "Y" to drop the head (detach it from kerbal). If anything of this doesn't work then you have a mods conflict, and we need "the usual stuff" to troubleshot it.

57 minutes ago, Pirke said:

I have a problem:

- I'm in EVA with the goal to add more parachutes to a command pod
- I equip the wrench or screwdriver
- I use X or H to attach a parachute to the command pod, but it doesn't appear
- When I go to the space center and back to the ship, then the added chutes are visible as stages, but I don't see them on the command module itself
- When I try enter the atmosphere and try to deploy them at a safe altitude they fail to deploy because they are inside a fairing (I don't have fairings)

So I think they are added to the inside of the pod? I also tried attaching them to a crew hitchhikers module, but that has the same problem. I tried both 0.5.8 and 0.5.9.

Looks like a mods conflict. Please, attach the logs (KSP.log). Btw, 0.5.8 is not expected to work under 1.1.3.

Edited by IgorZ

25 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Why do you need it? Winch GUI doesn't require kerbal to operate. Switch to the winch and retract the head. Then switch to kerbal, walk to the head and press "Y" - this way you grab it (attach to kerbal). Then walk to the connection port, choose it's context menu and select "Plug" - this will attach winch head to the port. At any time you can press "Y" to drop the head (detach it from kerbal). If anything of this doesn't work then you have a mods conflict, and we need "the usual stuff" to troubleshot it.

Looks like a mods conflict. Please, attach the logs (KSP.log). Btw, 0.5.8 is not expected to work under 1.1.3.

ksp.log https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6OjJwPwNBdBWDNGdW1VSGdsWm8

53 minutes ago, Pirke said:

You've forgot to mention it's Real Chute, and not a stock parachute which known to work fine. There is a bug pending with regard to RC. I'd suggest to address it to the mod's author. Logs show no errors, so KIS is working as intended. It looks RC cannot properly initialize when created in flight. A workaround is "bringing" RCs attached to the vessel instead of storing them in inventory.

Hey, I'm a KAS noob and can't figure out what I'm supposed to do about the following situation. I have a rover with a winch at the back. When I retract a grappling hook or magnet, the winch rope clips through the winch housing and the winch won't fully retract and therefore cannot be ejected again.

syWuhao.png

1 hour ago, THX1138 said:

Hey, I'm a KAS noob and can't figure out what I'm supposed to do about the following situation. I have a rover with a winch at the back. When I retract a grappling hook or magnet, the winch rope clips through the winch housing and the winch won't fully retract and therefore cannot be ejected again.

syWuhao.png

Detach the grapple, retract the head, attach the grapple back. Winch head (and everything that is attached to it) is a physical part, i.e. it's affected by the gravity force. Another way to put winch head back into the winch is grabbing head with kerbal and using context menu "Lock head". Though, it was reported not working (I haven't checked yet).

2 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Detach the grapple, retract the head, attach the grapple back. Winch head (and everything that is attached to it) is a physical part, i.e. it's affected by the gravity force. Another way to put winch head back into the winch is grabbing head with kerbal and using context menu "Lock head". Though, it was reported not working (I haven't checked yet).

Thanks. I found I could also do it by tipping the rover on its back using the reaction wheel and then tipping it upright again. Unfortunately, I already have another issue with ground pylons disappearing, leaving a floating pipe and connector port (see screenshot below). The pylon must have disappeared after I reloaded using F9. I searched Google and found someone reported this issue already in 2014! :P

Edit: I wonder whether the pylons are being designated as debris and then deleted by the game (I have my setting at 0 persistent debris to squeeze the best performance from my agéd computer hardware!

eJZviVl.png

Edited by THX1138

2 hours ago, THX1138 said:

Edit: I wonder whether the pylons are being designated as debris and then deleted by the game (I have my setting at 0 persistent debris to squeeze the best performance from my agéd computer hardware!

A pylon attached to the vessel is not debris, it has the same type as the vessel has. Though, if connection breaks due to a stress force then pylon becomes debris and may get cleared during the load. The issue with broken/exploded was discussed several times already. In short, don't make long bases or at least don't attach every single pylon to the ground.

I have been running into problems lately with KAS, and I'm not sure if it is a KAS bug or mod conflict. 

When I try to grab or attach anything in EVA, nothing happens when I left-click on the part. I have tried different Kerbals on different ships with both screwdriver and wrenches. I first noticed this problem a few days ago after adding some new mods.  The problem stopped when I removed Surface Experiment Pack. Now it has come back again after another round of new mods, however, this time removing them hasn't solved it. 

Has anyone seen this problem? Is there a workaround?  Please help!  KAS is one of my critical must-have mods!

Log File: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48757622/KSP.log

Edited by BainDrago

I'm having a bit of an issue, and wondering if anyone has encountered anything similar?

I'm trying to tie a ship to an asteoid that it has already "docked" with using a grappler arm. The arm alone isn't sturdy enough to withstand the stress of engines pushing the asteroid, so I'm trying to reinforce it with KAS/KIS struts.

The first strut I attach works fine. However, the 2nd one I attach seems to cause the entire ship to break off (the first strut pair unlinks, and the arm no long has an attachment to an asteroid and the ship floats away). The arm's strength is usually more than large to withstand the stress of the ship being idle.

Anyone know what might be causing this use?

Hi, I love this mod and I'm so glad someone is keeping it running. I can report its working fine on my save which I am very happy about! So thanks.

I do have a query regarding attaching objects that is KAS/KIS related. I understand that in order to attach an object from an inventory you need 1 Kerbal per ton. My problem come when I want to attach parts where more than 6 Kerbals will be involved as space starts to get limited. I'm wondering if I'm potentially missing a game mechanic? If a crane was involved using winches and such and a heavier object moved into place to the point where it is very close to the attachment node, is it possible to connect it using fewer Kerbals given its proximity?