[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

6 hours ago, Fair_Player[PL] said:

Hello guys.
Today I wanted to refuel two space crafts on orbic of the moon by using two conector ports. Unfortunately I was able to pump monopropelant only. Finaly I have crafted 2 truck with many different fuel tanks, connector ports and even winch. I tried to connect everything with everything to check if it will be posible to pump liquid fuel, unfortunately no. Linking, pluging, dock pluging there is no way to pump fuel. I have recorded movie please check it and tell me what it is wrong, maybe I do somethong wrong but I do not think so. I remember that one year ago I was able to pump fuel but now it is not posible only I can pump monopropelant.

Mods:
KAS_v0.6.3
KIS_v1.5.0

Thank you for answer and help in advance.

Usually it's because of "obey cross feed" setting, but given the mono-propellant can be transferred, the issue looks new. Just to double check, are you testing on KSP 1.3? And if you have time, could you, please, try KIS 1.0 parts to connect the exactly same vessels?

Hi everyone, 

We have created a patch to translate Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) in french.

This is not a mod, juste a patch, so the original mod si required (https://spacedock.info/mod/1156/KASFrenchTranslationPatch

It is made in a way that if you want to translate this patch in an other language, you will only need to change the french by your own language.

Thank you and fly safe! 

1 hour ago, Update Guy said:

Has anyone experienced crashing issues? I downloaded this and KSP now crashes after halfway loading.

What are the versions of KAS and KSP?

14 hours ago, Fair_Player[PL] said:

Hello guys.
Today I wanted to refuel two space crafts on orbic of the moon by using two conector ports. Unfortunately I was able to pump monopropelant only. Finaly I have crafted 2 truck with many different fuel tanks, connector ports and even winch. I tried to connect everything with everything to check if it will be posible to pump liquid fuel, unfortunately no. Linking, pluging, dock pluging there is no way to pump fuel. I have recorded movie please check it and tell me what it is wrong, maybe I do somethong wrong but I do not think so. I remember that one year ago I was able to pump fuel but now it is not posible only I can pump monopropelant.

Mods:
KAS_v0.6.3
KIS_v1.5.0

Thank you for answer and help in advance.

So, now I'm at home and can test it. And I cannot reproduce it :(  As far as I can tell from your video, you use stock components. Can you share the save file (feel free to send it in the PM)?

2 hours ago, IgorZ said:

So, now I'm at home and can test it. And I cannot reproduce it :(  As far as I can tell from your video, you use stock components. Can you share the save file (feel free to send it in the PM)?

Finaly I am at home too. I am gonna to test KAS 1.0 for you and I send save file (will attach craft files too)

Test mission report:
I have opened my save game files "Dobry.sfs" and "persistent.sfs" once again with notepad to look for "crossfeeed = true". In presistent.sfs I have found one more "crossfeeed = true" so I changed it to "false", it seems that in the past I missed one line what cause that KIS/KAS refueling did not work.
Other settings like:
ResourceTransferObeyCrossfeed = false
name = ModuleToggleCrossfeed isEnabled = false

All other modules :
crossfeed = False

So problem seems to be solved, mission complete, science earned 10.

4 hours ago, Fair_Player[PL] said:

Test mission report:
I have opened my save game files "Dobry.sfs" and "persistent.sfs" once again with notepad to look for "crossfeeed = true". In presistent.sfs I have found one more "crossfeeed = true" so I changed it to "false", it seems that in the past I missed one line what cause that KIS/KAS refueling did not work.
Other settings like:
ResourceTransferObeyCrossfeed = false
name = ModuleToggleCrossfeed isEnabled = false

All other modules :
crossfeed = False

So problem seems to be solved, mission complete, science earned 10.

So... do they have to all be set to ''true'' or to ''false''?

2 hours ago, Update Guy said:

The latest versions. So 1.3 KSP and KAS 0.6.3

Try removing all other mods, and if it still crashes send a log (KSP.log). The new game crashes on any incompatible mod, so it can be some other mod causing the trouble.

Edited by IgorZ

On 6/2/2017 at 2:05 PM, IgorZ said:

Try removing all other mods, and if it still crashes send a log (KSP.log). The new game crashes on any incompatible mod, so it can be some other mod causing the trouble.

I thought of that not long after responding, I'll go home and start moving stuff out my folder. I'll hedge money on it being something like Gameslinx's planet Overhaul or one of the USI mods since the game doesn't autocheck updates for them.

If you missed the pile of tripe I posted and then sneakily deleted out of shame, too bad.

Normally I would be quite happy to let others learn from my mistakes and would leave the post untouched for all to point and laugh at, however as this could be actual proof that I'm losing it, it has to go.
So to those of you who witnessed my blatant stupidity and failure,  all I can say is, after a re-think and a few slaps to the face and body. I can confirm that my head is indeed a shed.

Edited by Daveroski

On 04/06/2017 at 9:29 PM, Update Guy said:

Gameslinx's planet Overhaul or one of the USI

GPO is not 1.3 compatible, so that's a problem.

USI (near future stuff?) Is also not 1.3 compatible. Those are your problems :)

A quick search through the forum does not appear to show anyone else with my issue, so I'm going to assume that I'm just a bit slow on the uptake and am doing something wrong.  (Also, apologies if this is the wrong place for this kind of question; this is the first time I've needed to ask a mod-specific question....)

I am experimenting with winches for the first time (I'm going to start an ISRU operation on Gilly, and I figure it's probably a good idea if I ATTACH the rig to the surface rather than rely on Gilly's gravity to do the job).  My assumption was that with a few harpoons on winches on my ship, I'd be able to touch down, harpoon the surface, mine/refine, detach from the surface, retract the line on the winch, reset, <liftoff, do orbital stuff, come back>, return to surface, harpoon the surface again, lather-rinse-repeat.

I should note here:  KSP 1.2.2 (I'm holding out with the older version at least until 1.3.1 is released and appears to be stable) running on Win10, and KAS 0.6.3.  I do not have KIS.

I put together a test case and tried it on the launchpad as a proof-of-concept.  It worked great...until I was just about done retracting the winch's line.  The harpoon started flailing about like mad at the end of the line as the last bits were reeled in.  Okay, that's actually a pretty decent physics sim. (Yay conservation of angular momentum!)  But it just doesn't seem to want to damp out--it just keeps going and going.  Even if I timewarp, there's a little residual off-vertical angle on the line, and when I try to retract the last little bit--off it goes again.  And as a result I am unable to get the harpoon to line up properly with the winch and re-set it so it can fire again.

So, SHOULD it be possible to re-set the harpoon so I can fire it a second time?  Or is the winch-and-harpoon intended to be a "one-and-done" kind of thing?

44 minutes ago, Srpadget said:

I put together a test case and tried it on the launchpad as a proof-of-concept.  It worked great...until I was just about done retracting the winch's line.  The harpoon started flailing about like mad at the end of the line as the last bits were reeled in.  Okay, that's actually a pretty decent physics sim. (Yay conservation of angular momentum!)  But it just doesn't seem to want to damp out--it just keeps going and going.  Even if I timewarp, there's a little residual off-vertical angle on the line, and when I try to retract the last little bit--off it goes again.  And as a result I am unable to get the harpoon to line up properly with the winch and re-set it so it can fire again.

I've never actually tried it with a harpoon attached, however the normal connector will occasionally do this to me but it has never prevented me from retracting the cable fully.  I always just keep retracting until it's done but I don't know how having a harpoon on the end will effect things, it might break something if it hits hard enough.

56 minutes ago, Srpadget said:

The harpoon started flailing about like mad at the end of the line as the last bits were reeled in.  Okay, that's actually a pretty decent physics sim. (Yay conservation of angular momentum!)  But it just doesn't seem to want to damp out--it just keeps going and going.  Even if I timewarp, there's a little residual off-vertical angle on the line, and when I try to retract the last little bit--off it goes again.  And as a result I am unable to get the harpoon to line up properly with the winch and re-set it so it can fire again.

So, SHOULD it be possible to re-set the harpoon so I can fire it a second time?  Or is the winch-and-harpoon intended to be a "one-and-done" kind of thing?

I've seen this behavior on the launch pad. The pad has a tricky colliders setup, so such kind of glitches is very likely there. What happens there is a harpoon leaving the surface collide when it unexpectedly got caught by the other collider (the pad has multiple). I didn't find a quick and easy way to fix it, so just gave up, assuming it's never happens under the "normal" conditions (i.e. on a regular surface).

Try doing your experiments on the runway, and if you get the same problem send me the save file and describe the repro steps.

59 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

I've seen this behavior on the launch pad. The pad has a tricky colliders setup, so such kind of glitches is very likely there. What happens there is a harpoon leaving the surface collide when it unexpectedly got caught by the other collider (the pad has multiple). I didn't find a quick and easy way to fix it, so just gave up, assuming it's never happens under the "normal" conditions (i.e. on a regular surface).

Try doing your experiments on the runway, and if you get the same problem send me the save file and describe the repro steps.

The runway behaved similarly.  Though I was able to get 2 of 4 harpoons to correctly reset so that I could Eject a second time, this was not a repeatable result.

I should note that I have rotated the winches ~45 degrees, so they fire out-and-down rather than straight down.

>>>  So...how do I send you the save file?  I've got a named save, how do I get it to you?

To reproduce:

1) Select a winch that's locked-and-loaded. Right-click, and "Eject".  All is fine at this point:  runway gets speared. 

2) Right-click on harpoon, select "Detach".  Harpoon may or may not actually release its grip on the runway at this point. 

3) Right-click on the winch and "Retract" to find out.  IF all goes well, the harpoon will let loose its hold on the runway and retract up toward the winch.  Or maybe the whole ship will be pulled over, smash into the ground, and we exercise the ever-popular "exploding rocket parts" visual.  (This may be, again, a function of the runway's colliders and it may work just fine on "normal" ground.  I don't know, and haven't tested.  I may have to make a rover and try it out on the grass away from the runway.)

4a) Assuming all goes well in the previous step, we now have a harpoon on a line attached to a winch in process of retracting, with the harpoon acting rather like a pendulum (albeit swinging both fore-and-aft and side-to-side simultaneously).  Continue retracting.  If you are VERY lucky, the harpoon will (possibly after 2-3 rounds of "stop retract, extend slightly, retract again") reset (lock?) in the winch socket and it will be possible to go back to step 1 and "Eject" again. <--  This is my desired result.

4b) Most of the time, however, the harpoon will NOT align with the winch, and I will get a message:  "Connected parts not aligned ! Locking impossible."  (This is the undesired, but too common, endpoint.)

======

[On a related note:  while running this experiment, a winch control-and-info window popped up a couple times when I was trying to do other things. 

A) How do I get it to do that on purpose?

B) How do I get it to STOP doing that when I'm loading a quicksave or boarding an EVA kerbonaut?

And of course: C) what does all that data MEAN?  Looks like it might be useful, if I understood it....]

1 hour ago, Srpadget said:

4b) Most of the time, however, the harpoon will NOT align with the winch, and I will get a message:  "Connected parts not aligned ! Locking impossible."  (This is the undesired, but too common, endpoint.)

Wait, now it sounds like a different problem (which is probably the same but I misunderstood it in the first report). If your only problem is a harpoon that randomly moves and tilts on the cable and cannot lock, then this is how the part is designed. The winch cannot just lock a part which hangs on the cable since it may (and very likely will) transfer the momentum to the winch. To ensure the locking action won't have a disastrous physics effect, the winch checks if the aligning error is within the threshold. If it's not, then you cannot lock until the head is calmed down. The bad side of this story is that the winch design doesn't assume any specific logic to calm down the head, it relies on the game's physics engine.

I have some ideas how to improve the situation but these are only ideas for now. If I end up implementing them they won't show up in the legacy winches anyways. That said, there is no solution for this problem at this moment. It's how the physics is behaving in the game.

As a workaround I may suggest you changing the property `lockMinFwdDot` in the winch's config. It's a cosine of the maximum allowed angle between the "optimal" direction and the actual winch head direction. The both winch configs define this value as "0.9" which is approximately 25 degrees of an error. Set it to -1 (180 degrees) or 0 (90 degrees) and you'll lock in any possible setup. However, if your vessel will end up shaking and disassembling, it was your fault :) 

18 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Wait, now it sounds like a different problem (which is probably the same but I misunderstood it in the first report).

Same issue.  I doubtless explained it poorly in my first post.

If your only problem is a harpoon that randomly moves and tilts on the cable and cannot lock, then this is how the part is designed. <snip> the winch checks if the aligning error is within the threshold.

Aaand that is exceedingly unlikely to happen seeing as my winch is (deliberately) not vertical, but angled outward.  So even if I do wait for the physics to calm, it's still not going to align.  The harpoon and line will settle at about a 45-degree angle from the winch head....  Dang.  Back to the drawing board.

As a workaround I may suggest <snip> However, if your vessel will end up shaking and disassembling, it was your fault :) 

Thanks, but with that warning I think I'll seek a different solution!  :)

Did anyone have this happen too?

Attached three landers via TJ-2 Free Telescopic Joint and a JS-1 Joint Socket, beginning with a Tele on each left and right and connecting to a Socket on the middle one.

I then quicksaved and disconnected while sitting in the cockpit - not with EVA tools that is - to check the dV after fuel transfer. After reloading said quicksave the Teles were disconnected and going EVA again I could not reconnect them again, no matter where I clicked.

I also cannot detach the Tele, because it has become the root part of the vessel.

Running a ton of mods I doubt my savefile would be any help, but I could upload it anyway, as well as the log file.

Just asking for now if I encountered an unusual but known bug?

Edited by KerbMav