[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

16 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

Look for KSP.log in the main directory where the game installed.  On my computer this is C:\Games\Kerbal Space Program.  Upload it to a file sharing site like Dropbox or Google Drive and share a link here.

nevermind. i found out that the connectors are no longer cappable of connecting on their own... sad... there goes one of the best mods ever...

Stupid question: Is the force/torque with which a TJ-1 Fixed Telescopic Joint "holds onto" a JS-1 Joint Socket tweakable?  I just had four of them holding two very large space station parts together (a Kerbal accidentally detached the space station parts on EVA).  When I left and then returned to the station a while after securing the two parts this way, I found that it had separated into two parts, and that the joints and sockets were no longer holding one another.  (If I'm barking up the wrong tree as to how this separation might have happened, please let me know.)

1 hour ago, Nikolai said:

Stupid question: Is the force/torque with which a TJ-1 Fixed Telescopic Joint "holds onto" a JS-1 Joint Socket tweakable?  I just had four of them holding two very large space station parts together (a Kerbal accidentally detached the space station parts on EVA).  When I left and then returned to the station a while after securing the two parts this way, I found that it had separated into two parts, and that the joints and sockets were no longer holding one another.  (If I'm barking up the wrong tree as to how this separation might have happened, please let me know.)

I've never looked into it because I've never had issues with them breaking apart from each other.   Maybe share a picture of what your station looks like.  A lot of the time it's more about of how you build a station to work with KSP's funky physics than a problem with the parts.

One thing that helps a lot is to use USI Konstruction ports to "weld" new sections together.  This provides more rigid connections between parts than using docking ports.  Docking ports are somewhat flexible allowing some movement between parts.  I also set selectively turn on Autostruts for parts.  The furthest part from the CG on an arm will go to root and the adjacent part to heaviest. I try to make those in opposite ends of the station. They are rarely aligned with each other so it's triangulates the structure and makes it much sturdier overall. Also build in 3 dimensions. I like to have a core with everything spoked off from it. 

I have them scattered around this station.  I usually use no more than one between any two parts, more just seem redundant. You can see them if you zoom in to the left half of the station.

CgbCvsB.jpg

4 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

Maybe share a picture of what your station looks like.

Dang it, I wish I could.  I admit that I rage quit, and started with a whole new account, this time taking some measures to ensure that my Kerbals don't have to try to fasten things together when they're floating around (by including ladders that they can attach and detach as they go).  If it helps, the piece that I accidentally disconnected was one Jumbo-64 fuel tank in a line of eight, all with docking ports on top and bottom to hold them in place.  I think I disconnected it from the Z-4K battery unit "above" it.

I'll look into USI Konstruction.  Thanks for the pointer.

Quick question, if you want a kerbal to simply drop something he has grabbed without hitting escape how does one do it?  The top line in the screen popup reads "Drop (bottom)".  I tried the down arrow key, I tried dragging it to the bottom of the screen, then ran out of ideas. My kerb is in orbit trying to clear out some parts from a hulk to get to what I need and there is no place within the kerb's reach where he can attach the unneeded part, it is a node attach only part

Another question, when an engineer goes to grab something and the "hand" icon over the item is gray instead of green what does it mean?  The grab fails but neither to "too far" nor "too heavy" icons or messages show, the hand icon is just gray instead of green.  After awhile of trying I was able to grab the item with nothing changing in the situation but time passing.  The same item he couldn't grab he suddenly got a green hand instead of gray and could grab it from the same spot the kerb had been standing in with the same item in the same place.  On 1.10.1.  Not sure if it is a bug, or some context I'm not getting.  Thanks for the mod!  I love it, and thanks for any clue on this

7 hours ago, darthgently said:

Another question, when an engineer goes to grab something and the "hand" icon over the item is gray instead of green what does it mean?  The grab fails but neither to "too far" nor "too heavy" icons or messages show, the hand icon is just gray instead of green.  After awhile of trying I was able to grab the item with nothing changing in the situation but time passing.  The same item he couldn't grab he suddenly got a green hand instead of gray and could grab it from the same spot the kerb had been standing in with the same item in the same place.  On 1.10.1.  Not sure if it is a bug, or some context I'm not getting.  Thanks for the mod!  I love it, and thanks for any clue on this

This issue doesn't sound familiar. Could you please make a video and share the log from this video?

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

This issue doesn't sound familiar. Could you please make a video and share the log from this video?

Not really set up for video and it doesn't happen very predictably.  I think it was more of a UI lag issue where the hand icon turning green when placed over an object was just getting very delayed; like to infinity sometimes.  I have boatloads of ram but dangling pointers and memory leaks will defeat any amount of ram eventually

9 hours ago, darthgently said:

Not really set up for video and it doesn't happen very predictably.  

Assuming you are on Windows 10, you are set up for video using the built in Windows 10 Game Bar.  It's all I've ever used and just upload to YouTube which allows free accounts. 

I think it was more of a UI lag issue where the hand icon turning green when placed over an object was just getting very delayed; like to infinity sometimes. 

The only time I've seen the gray icon is if a tool isn't equipped. UI shouldn't lag that much or the game would likely be unplayable. 

I have boatloads of ram but dangling pointers and memory leaks will defeat any amount of ram eventually

My work computer has 256GB, so "boatloads" is relative.  I have 32GB in my gaming machine and never run out after hours of play.  No one seems to be complaining much about memory leaks currently, if you have evidence this is happening it would be worth reporting.

1 hour ago, Tonka Crash said:

Assuming you are on Windows 10, you are set up for video using the built in Windows 10 Game Bar.  It's all I've ever used and just upload to YouTube which allows free accounts. 

The only time I've seen the gray icon is if a tool isn't equipped. UI shouldn't lag that much or the game would likely be unplayable. 

My work computer has 256GB, so "boatloads" is relative.  I have 32GB in my gaming machine and never run out after hours of play.  No one seems to be complaining much about memory leaks currently, if you have evidence this is happening it would be worth reporting.

An incorrect assumption.  I'm on Debian buster.  Unity uploads a crash report every time, I fail to see a reason why human manual reporting of this stuff is even necessary.  The reports go to some server no one ever looks at probably.  There are so many different possible combinations of KSP and mods that automating the bug report process and automating a statistical correlational analysis of the combinations of KSP versions and mods in the reports is the way to go.  The result would be KSP and mod developers getting very accurate and timely reports if their part of the code is involved in a tangle and players would get to play the game they paid for more.  The data is there and being collected.  But I don't see the evidence of it being mined effectively.  All this technology and all the automated debug data goes to some dark hole apparently, because when it comes time to track down a bug on the user end they are expected to spend an hour or so of their time taking screenshots, videos, gathering and posting logs and filling out issue reports on github etc.  Ironic.  I financially support quite a few youtube channels, charities, and other people or organizations who I don't have to pay, but I feel that helping them makes a difference.  When it comes to corporations basically using unpaid outside "community" mod developers and uncompensated customer time to substitute for innovation and real debugging it annoys me. I'd financially support more community developers if I felt it would make a difference in the outcome with regards to product stability and enjoyment.  But I don't think it does in many cases.  It is like giving a battered person cab fare to go home to their abusive spouse.  Doesn't solve a thing.  The model is broken 

1 hour ago, Tonka Crash said:

Ok, the gray hand happened again, but not as severe, it was very brief.  Kerb definitely had the drill equipped, but this time I saw a quick flash of the message about "need to have a tool equipped", the I tried again and it worked fine.  So there is some slack in KSP or other code about whether the tool is equipped or not.  I'm having a more major issue with a corrupted sfs file right now I'm dealing with but if I get more info on the above I'll get it to you.  I'm running a user space memory checker also and will run another more extensive one on reboot.  I get quite a few memory violations of protected memory, which is not supposed to happen.  They don't happen in Blender or Gimp or anything else, only KSP.  I've tried every version from 1.8.1 to 1.10.1.  Same issue.  At this point I'm hoping it is a hardware problem as that is something I can 100% address while the software issues are beyond my reach mostly and in others hands

I've got a small issue, which I'm sure has been addressed before but my searching skills in this forum are apparently... lacking.

Anyway, I have a clamp-o-tron senior docking port attached to a K&K Planetary Central Hub from the Kerbal Planetary Base Systems mod.  The docking port is no longer needed (it attached to my sky crane) and I'd like to remove it.  But when I attempt to detach or grab, per KAS, it's weight is the entire station rather than just the docking port.  I the K&K storage unit right next it used to have a docking port on it, which I successfully detached.  So I don't think it's an issue with the KAS and KPS mods not working well together.  Rather I suspect it has to do with the Planetary Central Hub being the "root" for the station, and the docking port likely being the last "control from here" point.

Any suggestions on how to detach and remove this docking port?  Thanks.  :)

<Edit - add solution>

I love how making a post like this seems to instantly solve the problem!  <sigh>  Anyway, for future browsers, the trick ended up being detaching the big old planetary central hub, rather than trying to detach docking port.  The docking port literally flew like 20 feet away.  After which the tracking station reported that I had 2 bases on the Mun, 1 being the docking port laying on the ground.  :P

Edited by GeorgePauley
Add solution

10 minutes ago, GeorgePauley said:

I've got a small issue, which I'm sure has been addressed before but my searching skills in this forum are apparently... lacking.

Anyway, I have a clamp-o-tron senior docking port attached to a K&K Planetary Central Hub from the Kerbal Planetary Base Systems mod.  The docking port is no longer needed (it attached to my sky crane) and I'd like to remove it.  But when I attempt to detach or grab, per KAS, it's weight is the entire station rather than just the docking port.  I the K&K storage unit right next it used to have a docking port on it, which I successfully detached.  So I don't think it's an issue with the KAS and KPS mods not working well together.  Rather I suspect it has to do with the Planetary Central Hub being the "root" for the station, and the docking port likely being the last "control from here" point.

Any suggestions on how to detach and remove this docking port?  Thanks.  :)

Odds are the docking port is the root part of the structure.   Try detaching the Central Hub instead.  Use 'x' on the Central Hub instead of trying to grab the docking port.  There's no mass limit on detaching parts only grabbing them.  Think of it as detaching the base from the root docking port instead of removing the docking port from the base. I'd also make a save just before trying just in case something screws up.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, 1legotrain said:

How do you place objects (like docking ports) that don't fit inside a kerbal's inventory?

Wrong thread - you're talking about KIS. Anyway: Put them in a container of a rover or something, and place it directly from there. If the part is too heavy, put more Kerbals near the part. If I remember correctly, every Kerbal can carry about a ton, range is something like 3m. If you need more than that range, place the part on the ground, move your Kerbal(s) and pick it up again.

7 hours ago, 1legotrain said:

How do you place objects (like docking ports) that don't fit inside a kerbal's inventory?

Place the part in a SC-62 container and then put the container in the Kerbal's inventory. He will wear the container like a backpack. Or you just leapfrog moving it. Pick it up move it as far as you can, move the Kerbal. Repeat as much as you need to get the part where you need it.

I am not sure, if this is intended, but I just figured, that saving leads to explosions. This is what I did:

I needed to move around my station, so I dragged it with winches. Worked fine, until I saved and reloaded.
- I have a GP-20 Pylon attached to the moon surface
- A JS-1 Joint Socket attached to the pylon
- A HW80 winch attached to the base and the cable attached to the JS-1 socket

This all worked to move the station, however when I tried to load a savegame I made before winching (while everything is setup like above) I get explosions in the loading screen and a message like: "The link between the connector and part has broken". Similarly all sockets seem to explode that have been mounted to the surface of the moon when loading.

Did I do something wrong, or is this a bug?

6 hours ago, chris-kerbal said:

I am not sure, if this is intended, but I just figured, that saving leads to explosions. This is what I did:

I needed to move around my station, so I dragged it with winches. Worked fine, until I saved and reloaded.

This all worked to move the station, however when I tried to load a savegame I made before winching (while everything is setup like above) I get explosions in the loading screen and a message like: "The link between the connector and part has broken". Similarly all sockets seem to explode that have been mounted to the surface of the moon when loading.

I'm having similar problems.  According to this post, auto struts may be the cause.

10 hours ago, chris-kerbal said:

I've had similar happen. It is likely the familiar scene loading physics bug in a different form. If the winches had any tension on them who knows what the physics engine would have made of that during the initial few moments. I've learned to not have any motion or tension in the scene when making a backup

I've been trying to use the ground base and attach it to Ike's surface for me to cable my rover and ore shuttle to. But when I try different cables, they two vehicles still jump slightly in the air when I use either time warp. Some cases the ground base either explodes, teleports up in the air (of which it's still 'attached' to Ike), or just simply spazzes out and sends my vehicles a million miles away.

I was thinking of having a hydraulic cylinder with a grabbing unit mounted to a ground base, but I haven't tried it yet, anyone have any ideas?

7 hours ago, Xithyl515 said:

I was thinking of having a hydraulic cylinder with a grabbing unit mounted to a ground base, but I haven't tried it yet, anyone have any ideas?

I think that would be even worse. The robotics are pretty much useless on things that stay longer in the world. They move around a lot. The grabbing unit acts weirdly after some time when you dock and undock (I used it for a refueling vehicle and that spontaneously dropped parts). I was hoping for KAS to work better, but right now I have the exploding sockets on reload.

What improved my situation, was removing all robotic parts and not using landing gear or struts. Just putting the base directly on the ground. It now only moves when being placed in the world and falling to the ground. After that it seems to be stable