[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

On 9/22/2020 at 6:59 AM, Tonka Crash said:

CJPBDg5.jpg

What were the strut-like parts that connected the rover beside the main central winch? I don't think they are from this mod.

By the way, is that command pod (the only one in the part list) the Taurus HCV 3.75m Pod?

4 hours ago, RandomKerbal said:

What were the strut-like parts that connected the rover beside the main central winch? I don't think they are from this mod.

By the way, is that command pod (the only one in the part list) the Taurus HCV 3.75m Pod?

They're just stock struts, but reskinned by ReStock like most of the other parts.  When you extend the winch the struts break just like they do if they are mounted across a decoupler. 

And yes that is the Taurus HCV.  It's one of the few high capacity capsules available in any mod (7-seat, 3.75m)  I've since started using the Wyvern (5-seat 2.5m) capsule as well.  I have no need for a bunch of 1/2/3 man pods so I don't install many crew capsules from parts packs, but would definitely use more high capacity capsules.  

On 10/5/2020 at 6:58 AM, 233jun said:

It's not easy to do a continued transmission with pipeline. Can you make it easy soon?

Is English your first language?  I find KAS trivially easy to use, so I have no idea what your are asking, and it won't be changing unless you can describe how it needs to change.

On 9/17/2020 at 3:53 AM, AlphaMensae said:

I meant extend the footings downward, so something would still be visually connected to the ground if the base was placed on the side of a hill. :) 

The ladders do have a short and tall setting; the railings would require a mesh modification to make toggleable.

I have no idea if launch clamps can have their staging disabled.

They can. 

Either universal

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[LaunchClamp]]:FINAL
{
    @MODULE[LaunchClamp]
    {
        stagingEnableText = Clamp: Enable Staging
        stagingDisableText = Clamp: Disable Staging
        stagingToggleEnabledEditor = true
    }
}

or simply stagingEnabled = false for current part. additional 1, 1 in every node` string(rigid attachment) may be also needed to stop clamp-specific wobble.

Also i have made some makeshift EPL-placeable and KIS-portable base mounts(VSR and RSB launchclamp models on screenies), feel free to ping me if you`re going to design something like that, will be happy  to share some experience.0xm7P1u.jpgtOShdJF.jpg

@AlphaMensae , @Hohmannson As taniwha told me on 9/9/2020:

@pmoffitt What does KSP say about why you can't timewarp? (should be a message)

As for "bolting things down", Take a look at the "no launch clamps" in Diamond Grid: I created them specifically for this sort of thing (and you can use regular (stock, not ReStock (need to sort that out)) launch clamps as well, just be careful not to stage by accident (cover of the EL manual shows stock launch clamps in use, lower left corner)).

The Diamond Grid mod has a clamp that is not staged and other structure that makes using clamps for ground bases nicer.  Just a patch of parts.  I have been using it since taniwha's post to me.

A question: if I land a ship capable of extracting minerals and storing them, next to this ship I land another ship layers of refining minerals and storing them, and I connect them with each other with a hose. Will the second ship automatically obtain the minerals to refine?

Edited by jaunco325

On 10/17/2020 at 2:10 PM, jaunco325 said:

A question: if I land a ship capable of extracting minerals and storing them, next to this ship I land another ship layers of refining minerals and storing them, and I connect them with each other with a hose. Will the second ship automatically obtain the minerals to refine?

If you set the connection mode to Docked, then yes.  Otherwise, you have to use the GUI to transfer materials.  Once docked, they are the same vessel.  However, you have to be careful about what happens when you switch to this vessel as things may jump around as the physics engine places the parts based on where they the were supposed to be with respect to the root of the new vessel.  If that root has moved (sunk in or whatever), it can create some spectacular results.  Much discussion around about how to avoid this.

Question: what are the ways that the science in the backpack experiment storage unit can be returned to Kerbin? Does it have to be on a kerbal or with a kerbal when it comes back?  Can it simply be mounted on a probe that spashes down and is recovered?  I did the last and didn't get a single science point out of the deal.  I'm guessing I lost a few thousand points

On 10/12/2020 at 12:18 AM, Hohmannson said:

They can. 

Either universal

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[LaunchClamp]]:FINAL
{
    @MODULE[LaunchClamp]
    {
        stagingEnableText = Clamp: Enable Staging
        stagingDisableText = Clamp: Disable Staging
        stagingToggleEnabledEditor = true
    }
}

or simply stagingEnabled = false for current part. additional 1, 1 in every node` string(rigid attachment) may be also needed to stop clamp-specific wobble.

Thank you for this! I was able to make all the launch bases, plates and stands in the upcoming v2.1 of Modular Launch Pads able to have the clamp staging be disabled.

And....I added a General Mounting Platform to v2.1. It's an alternate version of the Mini Frame Flat Launch Base with a solid deck, side attach nodes, toggleable railing and 25m extensions below the foot pads for use on uneven terrain.

It's not in my MLP custom categories (stock and CCK), but a single part in the Structural category.

MPNdto8.png

On 10/17/2020 at 9:11 AM, rukhafi said:

Hi everyone! I have a weird issue. There is no context menu when interacting with JS1 port. Other KAS functions work fine. Please tell me what could be the cause of the problem?

This question has been asked and answered multiple times on this forum. E.g. here:

Uh... so how do I refuel from a mining and refining moon base? 

I land next to the refinery and connect up a resource transfer station to a joint socket. Doing that though doesn't let me transfer resources unless I dock them, which summons the tossing kraken and I'll see one of the ships thrown sideways, or up, or somewhere... and it's always catstrophic. Do I need to disable physics somewhere, or change some setting...?

Edit: Uh... nevermind - found the GUI.

Edit 2: No actually, this is till relevant. In the old KAS I used to  use a rover with a winch on either end as an intermediate if I'd landed more than 50m away.... sort of like this if you can decode the ASCII...

ship 1..................... Rover .................... ship 2
[][]X========= o---o ==========X[][]

With the RTS, it looks like the max length is 30 or 40 meters... which means I need even more precise landings, or find another solution. I can run GUI's for multiple RTS's but as soon as I activate a transfer on one, the other will turn off, which means many many clicks, or possibly the challenge of landing a large transfer vehicle (lol).

Is there a way to run RTS transfers concurrently... something I can tweak..?

Edited by Cable Guy
Doh

12 hours ago, Cable Guy said:

Is there a way to run RTS transfers concurrently... something I can tweak..?

In the undocked mode the RTS part considers each end of the link as a separate vessel. Chaining in this mode is not possible since GUI will only deal with the immediate ends of each station. What you can do:

1. Switch all stations in the chain into the docked mode and use the stock GUI to transfer the resources.
  2. Switch all stations but one in the chain into the docking mode. In this case you'll be able to use RTS GUI.
    [Ship] <==udocked== > [Pylon] <==docked==> [Base].

Btw, for the chaining purpose you may use GP-20 pylon, which has a hose port built-in.

The resource manager in Extraplanetary Launchpads (right-click EL's app button) handles KAS connectors in undocked mode and should handle chains without issue. Additionally, EL's resource manager groups tanks by module (separated by docking ports, KAS connectors, etc) making large transfers much easier.

Hey I I have to ships docked in space and I need to transfer Breaking Ground station parts form a SEQ-9 Container Module on one ship to a Kebals normal inventory slot for that items, but the KAS seems to block this.     The Kerbal is on a ladder next to the container, not moving.     I can do this on the ground but in space. 

What is the trick I am missing?

20 minutes ago, Twidget_Gray said:

Hey I I have to ships docked in space and I need to transfer Breaking Ground station parts form a SEQ-9 Container Module on one ship to a Kebals normal inventory slot for that items, but the KAS seems to block this.     The Kerbal is on a ladder next to the container, not moving.     I can do this on the ground but in space. 

What is the trick I am missing?

Figured it out.   Kerbal's were the issue.    There not needed..just click on the item  and move to other contatiner.

On 6/27/2016 at 5:38 AM, IgorZ said:

This mod is another extension to the EVA duty of the kerbonauts. Now they can link different vessels together. Why linking? Well, how about transferring resources without docking? Or maybe two vessels need to stay together while not docked. Even more, this mod has active parts that can work as winches!

wait, so do you have the ability to attach different ships as if they were docked?

18 minutes ago, Souptime said:

wait, so do you have the ability to attach different ships as if they were docked?

You can use the KIS/KAS connectors to either link or dock two vessels. The link option allows you to transfer resources, but the ships stay as separate objects. The docked method acts like both vessels are docked together.
I use the link for fuel transfers etc. I tried the dock method a few times, and it does work, but it always seems to attract the Kraken with the accompanying explosions and mayhem. Some odd physics thing happening. Haven't tracked down the cause as yet.  

3 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

You can use the KIS/KAS connectors to either link or dock two vessels. The link option allows you to transfer resources, but the ships stay as separate objects. The docked method acts like both vessels are docked together.
I use the link for fuel transfers etc. I tried the dock method a few times, and it does work, but it always seems to attract the Kraken with the accompanying explosions and mayhem. Some odd physics thing happening. Haven't tracked down the cause as yet.  

What kind of connector? like the winch or towbar ow something else

8 hours ago, Souptime said:

What kind of connector? like the winch or towbar ow something else

KAS is no different from a usual vessel design process. Before starting attaching the parts, you have to decide what is the goal. Here is a short list of the primary goals:

1. Refueling: Add JS-1 on the vessel and RTS-1 on the base. Use transfer GUI. Don't use the docking mode.
  2. Connecting the mining components on the surface: Connect them via JS-1/RTS-1 pair and do use the docking mode. However, this always attracts Kraken attention, so try to keep your installation as simple as possible (no height changes, no distant links).
  3. Constructing a sturdy station on orbit: Use TJ-1/JS-1 pair. On this forum @Tonka Crash has published some part designs with an extended distance. You may find them helpful, but you'll have to search.
  4. Towing a vessel with another vessel on the surface: Use the TB-60 part. Be careful, though. I did my best to make this part as stable as possible, but there are weird edge cases that were not addressed.
  5. Stopping the endless wobbling of the parts in a station: Use PCB-1/CH-1 pair.
  6. Lifting or pulling things: Use W-50/HW-80 +  J-1 pair.
  7. Getting back to the "old good KAS": Follow the link and read the instructions in the file.

Please, let me know if you have an uncovered case.

Edited by IgorZ