[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

1 minute ago, IgorZ said:

Before starting attaching the parts, you have to decide what is the goal.

Mainly just to link base parts and transfer resources, and i finally figurd it out using the reosurce tranfer winch ripe thingy and using it in docked mode

On 9/17/2020 at 1:09 AM, Tonka Crash said:

It hasn't been a problem yet.  They could be a bit closer to the ground, but I haven't seen issues with them being too high.  Ping me in a couple weeks.  The red shape under construction has drills to replace a lander that brought the first drills to the site.  If the drills don't reach dirt then I have a problem.  I just try to set the height in the VAB/SPH to be as low to the ground as possible before saving.  

jXD116Q.jpgwRA7TL6.jpg

Wow! How did you exactly do that? The flexible docking port just blows my mind, how's that even possible? Must not come from VAB for sure  :0.0:

13 hours ago, adriangm44 said:

Wow! How did you exactly do that? The flexible docking port just blows my mind, how's that even possible? Must not come from VAB for sure  :0.0:

It looks like a `KKAOSS_KAS_Flexible_Corridor` from `PlanetaryBaseInc`.

On 11/9/2020 at 3:55 AM, adriangm44 said:

Most of the base is built on site using:

The docking tubes are from KPBS, but I think I increased the range they connect. I think MKS and Pathfinder both have equivalents for these, but I don't use either.

13 hours ago, Eleutherophile said:

Ah, Thanks! So there's no way to connect it in the VAB?

KAS parts cannot be attached in VAB due to VAB deals with one vessel only. In KAS we deal with multiple vessels. I did an investigation if it can be done in the editor, but ended up to not go this way. Even if I find a way to overcome the current limitations, no guarantees it won't change in the very next release of KSP. So, the rule of thumb is: if it's related to KAS, then you have to go EVA.

Hi there.  I havn't used KAS in quite a while now, so I DL'd the latest version and packed a couple of winches and a couple of GP-20 Pylons on my ship "just in case".

Well, the worst happened, and I landed my rover upside down.  No biggy, I attached a winch to the side of the rover, and a pylon on the ground to act as the anchor point to flip it over... except I can't connect the damn winch cable to the pylon!  No Right Click interaction available, and Y just drops the cable to the ground.  

Help an old guy out please, what am I doing wrong?

4 hours ago, Grumpy Oldman said:

except I can't connect the damn winch cable to the pylon!

The pylon connector only accepts hose-70 connections. You need to add a JS-1 Joint socket to one of the pylon's surfaces and then connect the winch's cable-35 connection to it.

I love this mod, but I have two problems with it...

• When I dock vessels via RTS-1 , they start moving all over the ground, if they don't velociting up into the sky.. Even, if i place a GP-20 under it.
  • If I put a part on a Breaking Ground Robotics  part, the part won't move with the robotic, but stands still on its place.

Do you have a solution for this? 
KSP 1.9.1   KAS 1.7 KIS 1.26

12 hours ago, eldorim said:

• When I dock vessels via RTS-1 , they start moving all over the ground, if they don't velociting up into the sky.. Even, if i place a GP-20 under it.
  • If I put a part on a Breaking Ground Robotics  part, the part won't move with the robotic, but stands still on its place.

Take a look at taniwha's post to this discussion on Sept 16th.  There are things you can do to limit some of this but no real fix.  This is really a limitation / feature of the Physics Engine and not actually an issue with this mod.  Basically, unless you figure out a way to actually attach things to the ground, they are always moving.  Actually, even if connected to the ground, they are still moving relative to something else. Robotics are even worse and is related to how they connect and I haven't really found a fix for it, they are just slowly going to move.

Edited by pmoffitt

20 hours ago, eldorim said:

8 hours ago, pmoffitt said:

Take a look at taniwha's post to this discussion on Sept 16th.  There are things you can do to limit some of this but no real fix.  This is really a limitation / feature of the Physics Engine and not actually an issue with this mod.  Basically, unless you figure out a way to actually attach things to the ground, they are always moving.  Actually, even if connected to the ground, they are still moving relative to something else. Robotics are even worse and is related to how they connect and I haven't really found a fix for it, they are just slowly going to move.

However, there is some good news: With the next update (KSP 1.11: Some Reassembly Required), we are getting a "vessel anchoring" system, as announced in this post. It remains to be seen if this actually fixes our issues or if it proves to be a summoning bell for the kraken.

Edited by DragonsForce

8 hours ago, DragonsForce said:

However, there is some good news: With the next update (KSP 1.11: Some Reassembly Required), we are getting a "vessel anchoring" system, as announced in this post. It remains to be seen if this actually fixes our issues or if it proves to be a summoning bell for the kraken.

Looks like their rolling out their own version of KAS as well,

EVA Construction Mode

EVA Construction Mode is the main feature included in Kerbal Space Program 1.11: Some Reassembly Required. This allows Kerbal engineers to adjust many parts on a craft while on EVA.

The tools at your disposal while in this mode are similar to what you find in the VAB/SPH, such as place, rotate, and move. You can also visualize the center of mass, center of thrust, and the center of lift for a vessel. However, there are of course some limitations:

An engineer will only be able to adjust parts that are within their range, whether these are on a vessel, inside nearby storage containers, laying around in their proximity, or in their own inventory slots.

Only parts below a certain weight threshold will be able to be manipulated, but constructing in lower gravity allows a Kerbal to build bigger! Kerbals can only manipulate one part at a time and only construct with attachable parts; for example, a deployable experiment will not be able to be attached to a vehicle in this mode. Finally, some parts are just too bulky to build with and will stay right where you left them.

21 minutes ago, vardicd said:

[snip]

I saw. This might mean KIS and KAS will leave my (rather short) modlist... Not looking forward to checking every vessel for modded parts however. I'm pretty sure some of my larger projects have KIS containers...

30 minutes ago, vardicd said:

EVA Construction Mode

[snip]

They 100% copied the whole volume/bringing items with you/using an engineer to attach it that KIS and KAS has offered for a long time. How does the mod creator/maintainer feel? I hope you guys were at least contacted/consulted on this before they added it and announced it.

3 minutes ago, rudemario said:

They 100% copied the whole volume/bringing items with you/using an engineer to attach it that KIS and KAS has offered for a long time. How does the mod creator/maintainer feel? I hope you guys were at least contacted/consulted on this before they added it and announced it.

To be fair, those are all pretty logical ideas.

Guys, hold your horses. What we're getting in the update is equivalent of only KIS.
KAS, with its winches, cables etc is not introduced.

So now I begin to wonder if the inventory system is going to work with KAS, as it's still pretty useful IMO.

9 hours ago, DragonsForce said:

I saw. This might mean KIS and KAS will leave my (rather short) modlist... Not looking forward to checking every vessel for modded parts however. I'm pretty sure some of my larger projects have KIS containers...

It's life, I am not going to remove the KIS containers from my KSS Aurora too. Anyway, I am going to keep KIS and KAS (cause it might be less buggy).

Soon...

Me after watching the KSP promo video: Oh yes, it's so cool! The laser welding makes Kerbalkind look more advance! I am going to not to use KIS anymore!

But had to deal with the KIS containers first.

Edited by RandomKerbal

4 hours ago, RandomKerbal said:

But had to deal with the KIS containers first.

You'll be able to MM patch KIS containers to use both inventories as a compatability thing. And KIS will be a thing until certain mods will move(OSE Workshop) and/or certain solutions will be implemented (volume override, holding Tweakscaled parts, holding b9ps parts, grabbing multiple parts). And KAS will be a thing for a long time, because Squad, surely, doesn.t want to be responsible for RTS-1 krakens.