[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

On 12/31/2023 at 12:03 AM, IgorZ said:

It seems so to you, but under the hood there is a lot of logic, which takes into account the vessel as whole and each part in particular. KSP has extra logic around the normal Unity physics to remove physics simulation side effects. It's one reason why KSP2 had so many negative feedback at the start: they assumed Unity will do all the work for them, but nope - it won't.

If you constantly see the issue, try swapping the RTS and JS parts. When doing the docking, the game has a thing: "the dominant vessel". I tried to address it in the RTS part, but who knows.

Btw, did you try to use TJ-2 part? Physics wise, it's basically the same as RTS.

Ah, I see! That is counter-intuitive.  Why is it that both craft seem to be able to move and rotate relative to each other when in docked mode, if they're one physics object?

As for the other things, I'll try those and see how they work. Thanks for the response! :)

(and thanks for making and maintaining an epically useful and fun mod!)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 2:27 PM, Tokamak said:

they're one physics object?

They are not. Unity treats them as spearate, but on top of it KSP adds its logic to stabilize the vessel. Otherwise, you'd get the well know "wobbling" effect and issues with wheels and legs.

Edited by IgorZ

• 4 weeks later...

I used this mod some years ago and liked it. Since KSP 1.12.5 still cannot tranfer fuel between 2 separate vessels i wanted to use it again. I built a test for lunchpad, attached a JS-1 Joint Socket but i have no idea where to find that Transfer GUI or anything related to KAS except the parts attached or put into inventory. Nothing inside the properties using engineer in EVA right clicking on the JS-1.

Any clue?

Hello, I am having an issue with cable breakage.

TL;DR. How much should I adjust cableSpringDamper (1) or/and cableSpringForce (1000) in the pcb1 cfg file, to strengthen the cable braces that break when my cargo plane lands?

I have built a cargo plane, the payload is being secured with cable braces, on landing, the rear most cables are snapping. This is causing the payload to become insecure and the plane will become extremely hard to control, usually careening  off the runway. The payload is docked inside of the cargo bay, resulting in some sagging on the undocked end, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement didn't do much to prevent this, so I'm using a winch to pull up the sagging end of the payload and strapping it in with cable braces (which works really well, I love the winches and how versatile they are).

Ive also adjusted how much force it takes to break the cables, for ch1 and pcb1, and considering just adding more cable braces. I'm afraid that adding more cables won't actually solve the snapping issue, since the payload is essentially jerking up and down when the gear touches, resulting in a lot more force applied on the cable, reaching a critical point and breaking, this is assumingly due to the spring/damper allowing too much compensation for my use case.

Its definitely an under damping issue, as the payload still sags slightly when strapped in.  I'm not sure how much to adjust the settings (cableSpringDamper) in the pcb1 cfg file, or if I should be looking to reduce the spring force (cableSpringForce). Most importantly by how much should I be adjusting them? (Spring Force is 1000 and Damper is 1, I'm going to test with 1000:10 and see if anything drastically changes)

The biggest issue is despite how much Bill slaps it and say its not going anywhere, its going somewhere!

Thanks for any help!

17 hours ago, AlfFromKerbin said:

I used this mod some years ago and liked it. Since KSP 1.12.5 still cannot tranfer fuel between 2 separate vessels i wanted to use it again. I built a test for lunchpad, attached a JS-1 Joint Socket but i have no idea where to find that Transfer GUI or anything related to KAS except the parts attached or put into inventory. Nothing inside the properties using engineer in EVA right clicking on the JS-1.

Any clue?

You need to connect an RTS1 from one vessel to a JS-1 on the other using an EVA kerbal before you can transfer resources between them. This is demonstrated in this video linked in the OP.

On 2/13/2024 at 12:28 PM, Aelfhe1m said:

You need to connect an RTS1 from one vessel to a JS-1 on the other using an EVA kerbal before you can transfer resources between them. This is demonstrated in this video linked in the OP.

Thx for that hint :valhappy:

One other thing, would i need KIS for appropriate icons of KAS parts in the stock storage containers (i only see an "i" there)?

Edited by AlfFromKerbin

7 hours ago, AlfFromKerbin said:

Thx for that hint :valhappy:

One other thing, would i need KIS for appropriate icons of KAS parts in the stock storage containers (i only see an "i" there)?

Not sure what you mean about only seeing an "i" in stock storage. They look OK in a test I just did (KIS NOT installed).

VULWhLA.png

They also worked fine attaching and detaching them with an EVA kerbal on the launchpad. (The RTS needed 2 Kerbals because of its weight (100kg) but that wouldn't be an issue in orbit or on most other planets or moons where gravity is lower)

Edited by Aelfhe1m