IgorZ

[Minimum KSP version - 1.8] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.7

@Xithyl515 @chris-kerbal The problems you describe about vessels jumping is partly explained in the Base Kraken section of the Extraplanteary Launchpads manual (4.2.1). Essentially, it comes down to the base layout and how sections move about relative to the base's root part (the part with the target icon when you target the whole base and not just a docking port). EL's manual includes some tips that might help, even without the use of EL (and thus launch clamps).

@chris-kerbal @Soda Popinski @Xithyl515 @darthgently Attaching things to the ground is never permanent in KSP. Using "Docked" mode for connections between vessels on the ground is also likely to eventually break.  Explosions are common. Search this thread for "Ground"  there are lots of complaints about it and some rationalizations about why it doesn't work in the long term.  The only way I've found to permanently anchor things to the ground is to build bases on launchclamps with Extraplanetary Launchpads.  

2 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

The only way I've found to permanently anchor things to the ground is to build bases on launchclamps with Extraplanetary Launchpads.  

Did you experience any problems with bases being too high up? I never tried something like this. But since sometimes when editing a vessel with KCT, it's suddenly placed much higher than my original build. I thought something similar might happen with your approach...

If there are no such problems (or not that serious), this looks like a job for @AlphaMensae :D - just a platform with adjustable size and color with a ladder and maybe a handrail? In KSP 2, bases look like that anyway...

3 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Did you experience any problems with bases being too high up? I never tried something like this. But since sometimes when editing a vessel with KCT, it's suddenly placed much higher than my original build. I thought something similar might happen with your approach...

If there are no such problems (or not that serious), this looks like a job for @AlphaMensae :D - just a platform with adjustable size and color with a ladder and maybe a handrail? In KSP 2, bases look like that anyway...

It hasn't been a problem yet.  They could be a bit closer to the ground, but I haven't seen issues with them being too high.  Ping me in a couple weeks.  The red shape under construction has drills to replace a lander that brought the first drills to the site.  If the drills don't reach dirt then I have a problem.  I just try to set the height in the VAB/SPH to be as low to the ground as possible before saving.  

jXD116Q.jpgwRA7TL6.jpg

3 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

The reworked Flat Launch Bases in v2.1 of Modular Launch Pads would work for that purpose.  I just have to add a plug for the smallest square exhaust hole to provided a solid deck option, and long downward extensions to the footings to make them reach uneven terrain. :) 

37 minutes ago, AlphaMensae said:

The reworked Flat Launch Bases in v2.1 of Modular Launch Pads would work for that purpose.  I just have to add a plug for the smallest square exhaust hole to provided a solid deck option, and long downward extensions to the footings to make them reach uneven terrain. :) 

Yay :D  The legs already extend to the ground, the ladders don't (but I think they're still long enough). Plus maybe an option to disable the railings, so you can place the bases next to each other.

Is there a way to disable staging? Fortunately, the generator can already be turned off - for stock launch clamps, you'd have an infinite amount of EC, right?

17 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

Yay :D  The legs already extend to the ground, the ladders don't (but I think they're still long enough). Plus maybe an option to disable the railings, so you can place the bases next to each other.

Is there a way to disable staging? Fortunately, the generator can already be turned off - for stock launch clamps, you'd have an infinite amount of EC, right?

I meant extend the footings downward, so something would still be visually connected to the ground if the base was placed on the side of a hill. :) 

The ladders do have a short and tall setting; the railings would require a mesh modification to make toggleable.

I have no idea if launch clamps can have their staging disabled.

I've been away from the game for a while and am just starting to get back into it. I've noticed that the part that worked like a strut (i.e. you could place the two ends, then drag a strut between them) appears to be missing now. Was it removed or am I encountering a bug? Would love to have that functionality back. All I see are the cable and pipe attachments.

EDIT: I think this is a KIS issue, actually. Never mind.

Edited by Mitchz95

@Mitchz95 The parts in this picture are the only parts in the current KAS.  Review the videos in the first post of this thread.  The old pipes no longer exist in this mod.  If you need to know why read through this thread it's been explained over and over, again and again. It seems someone complains about it every couple of pages.

cwqR7In.jpg

@Soda Popinski @chris-kerbal @Xithyl515

TL;DR; The KIS pylons (and one from KAS too) that can attach to surface are no more working properly in KSP. With all the physics improvements and changes during the course of the year, the static attach to the surface became a very dangerous practice. Avoid doing it if you don't want to awake Kraken. Afaik, there is an alternative "anchor" part in USI. It works differently and strictly speaking doesn't fix the vessel position, but it more or less does what's needed - fix the vessel position on the surface.

In nutshell, when the scene is loaded, the vessel in it are placed independently. And the placement is approximate. I.e. there could be exactly 1m distance between the vessels on save, but on load it will be 1.2m. It's not a big deal in the stock game, but if you tether two vessels, then there can be a physical effect. I do not recommend using winches to connect station modules on the surface. Use RTS instead. The latter part does not apply physics on the rope.

2 hours ago, IgorZ said:

@Soda Popinski @chris-kerbal @Xithyl515

TL;DR; The KIS pylons (and one from KAS too) that can attach to surface are no more working properly in KSP. With all the physics improvements and changes during the course of the year, the static attach to the surface became a very dangerous practice. Avoid doing it if you don't want to awake Kraken. Afaik, there is an alternative "anchor" part in USI. It works differently and strictly speaking doesn't fix the vessel position, but it more or less does what's needed - fix the vessel position on the surface.

In nutshell, when the scene is loaded, the vessel in it are placed independently. And the placement is approximate. I.e. there could be exactly 1m distance between the vessels on save, but on load it will be 1.2m. It's not a big deal in the stock game, but if you tether two vessels, then there can be a physical effect. I do not recommend using winches to connect station modules on the surface. Use RTS instead. The latter part does not apply physics on the rope.

Thanks for the clear answer and all others that helped!

This is probably worthwhile to put into the description of the part, as for noobs like me this seems to be the prime usage for the pylons. ;-)

I am sure this has been addressed somewhere but I have spent several hours trying to find it in the forums.  (Found all sorts of other information of interest while searching the forums, so not a real waste of time.)  When I attach parts using KAS, they tend to slide around not staying with the part they were attached to when the vessel moves (part of a ground base on Minimus docked using RTS1).  This doesn't happen with the same parts if they were built in place using EL (using the pads) or attached in the VAB/SPH and these parts on not the spring attached robotics parts.  (Now that I think about it, they may not be stock parts but KIS / EL parts but I don't think it matters.)  It is almost like the part isn't part of the vessel and physics is moving them it independently of the part it was attached to.  It isn't breaking the connection, the parts are just separating (or it doesn't normally break the connection, it might if they get too far apart).  There are no other parts attached to the part just attached that is moving (relative to the part it was attached to) so the forces on it should be minimal.

Is there a way to control the connection when a Kerbal attaches a part using the Screw Driver or Wrench (is there a difference?) to make it a more solid connection? 

I have seen references to USI's welding of parts, not sure I want to load more mods as I have seen some strange issues with a few mods stepping on each other (specifically,  Restock+ removes stackable from some KIS parts, I should probably post that in the Restock and KIS topics in the forums if it isn't already known).  And I am already getting annoyed with how long it takes to load the game (this laptop shouldn't have such issues as it is an I7, 16 GB ram, SSD, RTX 2060 video running Win 10 Home).