Jump to content

[Minimum KSP version - 1.8] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.7


Recommended Posts

On 9/18/2020 at 12:07 AM, IgorZ said:

@Soda Popinski @chris-kerbal @Xithyl515

<snip>I do not recommend using winches to connect station modules on the surface. Use RTS instead. The latter part does not apply physics on the rope.

I'm running into the same problems that seem to lace this thread. I'm in the process of building a base on Munmus and everything is jumping up on physics load. I can live with that.

I've linked four rather heavy landers together using hoses. On physics load everything jumps up. I've noticed that the landers twist on the way up and move around a lot when they settle. The direction of twist looks like the hoses are all have tension on them that tries to balance out. I'd record a video, but I think I can show it with two pictures.

https://imgur.com/a/SrwoEMr

In the first you can see I have a hose connected to a JS-1 and docked. Normally, if you click "detach" the hose end will fall straight to the ground. 

In this case, after clicking detach, the second picture shows where the hose end landed. It's pulled away from the JS-1. 

When using a winch you have the ability to specify how much cable to pay out and control how much tension on it.
I note there is no such control on the RTS-1.

Now my questions:
Is there a way to add that type of control to the RTS-1?
If not, is there something in the .sfs that could be edited to zero out (or greatly lessen) the tension on the hose?

Link to post
Share on other sites

KAS noobie here: I seem to be having trouble getting the winch to winch (wench?). I have it connected to a CH-1 cable hook, which is attached to an object, and I see in the description that the winch is 'manually operated', and I have a engineer right on top of it, but when I right-click, all I get is an option to unlink. I was expecting there to be a button to get it to retract (or extend) the cable, but clearly I'm missing something? 

Related question: is there a KAS user guide? I have the KIS User Guide, which is all that I seem to be able to find when I search for a KAS guide.

I'm on KSP 1.10, btw.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you attach them in the VAB? KAS is limited to work between vessels, not the same one.

If not, you might have to open the cable GUI to get it to work.

There isn't a KAS manual in PDF form as far as I can tell, but the KAS wiki (https://github.com/ihsoft/KAS/wiki) is pretty good.

 

Edited by Clamp-o-Tron
Link to post
Share on other sites

The CH-1 Cable Hook is used with the PCB-1 Portable Cable Bracing. It's function is to hold things steady and nothing more

The  HW-80 Winch links to the JS-1 Socket and you get all the controls of a proper winch.. as demonstrated by Bob.

GCTL42B.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Did you attach them in the VAB? KAS is limited to work between vessels, not the same one.

If not, you might have to open the cable GUI to get it to work.

There isn't a KAS manual in PDF form as far as I can tell, but the KAS wiki (https://github.com/ihsoft/KAS/wiki) is pretty good.

 

No; the ship was in orbit - I wanted to detach a Sentinel from where it had been built in the VAB, so I could make room for a docking port.  I hooked three cable hooks on to it, then attached the cable bracings to a nearby panel, and put the two together. When I detached the Sentinel, it just started floating away, eventually stopping at the length of the cables. I was expecting I'd be able to at least stop the cables from extending, if not retract, but there don't seem to be any controls to that effect. Not really sure what good these are going to do me (but I have limited imagination...). 

Can you please clarify what you mean by 'open the cable GUI'? All I'm familiar with is right-click to open the context menus. Is there something else I can access?

Thanks for the link!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, maddog59 said:

No; the ship was in orbit - I wanted to detach a Sentinel from where it had been built in the VAB, so I could make room for a docking port.  I hooked three cable hooks on to it, then attached the cable bracings to a nearby panel, and put the two together. When I detached the Sentinel, it just started floating away, eventually stopping at the length of the cables. I was expecting I'd be able to at least stop the cables from extending, if not retract, but there don't seem to be any controls to that effect. Not really sure what good these are going to do me (but I have limited imagination...). 

Can you please clarify what you mean by 'open the cable GUI'? All I'm familiar with is right-click to open the context menus. Is there something else I can access?

Thanks for the link!

PCB part is designed to maintain the cable fixed length. And this length is fixed at the moment of hook-up. It's not expected for the parts to fly away for more distance. Could you please make a video? Preferably, on the simplest setup at the launchpad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, IgorZ said:

PCB part is designed to maintain the cable fixed length. And this length is fixed at the moment of hook-up. It's not expected for the parts to fly away for more distance. Could you please make a video? Preferably, on the simplest setup at the launchpad.

This happened to me in my career mode, and I've already deleted the game file, so I'd have to try to recreate it in the sandbox. But more importantly, how does one make a video in KSP? And how would I post it here? I know about taking snapshots and using imgur....

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2020 at 1:08 PM, maddog59 said:

But more importantly, how does one make a video in KSP? And how would I post it here? I know about taking snapshots and using imgur....

If you use Windows 10, simply press Windows+G key combination and you'll see an overlay UI which allows starting/stopping recording in the game. If your video card is of Nvidia brand, then you can also use "Geforce Experience" interface for the same purpose. If the resulted video is not too big, place it on Dropbox, Google Drive, or Imgur. If it's big (100M+), upload it to YouTube.

Edited by IgorZ
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, IgorZ said:

If you use Windows 10, simply press Windows+G key combination and you'll see an overlay UI which allows starting/stopping recording in the game. If your video card is of Nvidia brand, then you can also use "Geforce Experience" interface for the same purpose. If the resulted video is not too big, place it on Dropbox, Google Drive, or Imgur. If it's big (100M+), upload it to YouTube.

Thanks! I'll give that a try. Much obliged!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

Hi everyone

Have a stupid question, with 1.11 introducing a game mechanic somewhat similar to KAS, what will happen in future?

KAS would remain unaffected I would imagine, and its pretty easy to make all the KAS parts inventory parts in the stock system. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, eberkain said:

KAS would remain unaffected I would imagine, and its pretty easy to make all the KAS parts inventory parts in the stock system. 

I'm not that good with MM patches, is there any possibility to have the MM patch to change the inventory parts to stock?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2020 at 9:09 AM, Jiraiyah said:

Have a stupid question, with 1.11 introducing a game mechanic somewhat similar to KAS, what will happen in future?

What parts from KAS do you think may be affected?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IgorZ said:

What parts from KAS do you think may be affected?

it's not only container parts (if they are not using vanilla mechanics by now), but also, the main aspect of KAS is the ability to attach parts to crafts on the fly, this is already a vanilla feature now?! if that is the case, switching to vanilla (if vanilla is covering all the attaching functionality kas was providing) would make it much easier to maintain kas because i think without a need to maintain the attaching mechanics, kas would focus more on parts and mechanics it has that vanilla is not providing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

The main aspect of KAS is the ability to attach parts to crafts on the fly, this is already a vanilla feature now?!

That actually is Kerbal Inventory System; KAS is all the Cables, Fuel Hoses and Towbars. But KIS still is more capable than the Vanilla Inventory System so I hope that it gets continued. Plus I've never had Problems at running outdated Versions so I'd guess it wouldn't be that bad of a Loss if it doesn't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, derbleifuss said:

That actually is Kerbal Inventory System; KAS is all the Cables, Fuel Hoses and Towbars. But KIS still is more capable than the Vanilla Inventory System so I hope that it gets continued. Plus I've never had Problems at running outdated Versions so I'd guess it wouldn't be that bad of a Loss if it doesn't.

:D you can guess I never paid attention to which one was doing this or that, I always have them both side by side... But the bottom line is, KIS (sorry for bad place for this post now) may want to look into the vanilla abilities and adjust itself?

 

Wait, isn't KIS all about the inventory and the one making it possible to attach parts KAS? You sure? the name Attachment System would indicate the functionality is in this system?

Edited by Jiraiyah
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jiraiyah said:

You can guess I never paid attention to which one was doing this or that, I always have them both side by side.

So do I. But KAS can work without KIS if you attach the Connector Sockets in VAB or SPH, it just isn't as versatile.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jiraiyah said:

Wait, isn't KIS all about the inventory and the one making it possible to attach parts KAS? You sure? the name Attachment System would indicate the functionality is in this system?

It is not, KAS is about attaching two vessels together using a winch, tow bar, etc...  

KIS add inventory and allows you to build with items from inventory. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope KIS gets reimplemented to augment the stock inventory system, myself.

Notably, only some parts would need rework.

Edited by Ruedii
Remove question about it working on 1.11, checked github for answer and it does.
Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI, if yu add the new inventory part module to the KAS parts, dont try to link two things while in the new construction mode.   :)

Also, parking brake does not hold when you link something with kas. Making unloading my rover a real headache. 

Edited by eberkain
Link to post
Share on other sites

I did some testing of KAS with the new inventory system and found too many issues to release a quick fix. Adding a new cargo item module to all the parts will let you pack them into the inventory, but trust me, you won't be happy on the further experience. It will take some time to investigate all the cases and have them fixed. That being said, KAS v1.7 is marked as KSP v1.11 incompatible.

I'll appreciate all the bug reports either here or on GitHub. The more cases you give me, the more cases will be fixed. If you're willing to get into the troubles, put this file into your game (make sure it's of the CFG type). Don't forget to make a backup before any interaction!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having an error in 1.11 that happens when I try to refuel craft. When I have refueled a craft, crossfeed within the craft seems to break.  I've posted about this here, and have some images of the error after disconnecting the fuel lines here, and while the fuel line are connected here. I have "resource transfer obeys crossfeed rules" on so you can see that it doesn't have crossfeed on between the attached / formerly attached substack and the rest of the refueled craft more easily.

Essentially what appears to be happening is that fuel crossfeed across the radial decoupler seems to get turned off, without an ability for me to turn it back on again, in the substack directly attached to my refueling base. 

I've tried unstalling and reinstalling KIS / KAS, verifying install file integrity with steam, and refreshing to a prior save, but the bug seems to happen with reasonably consistency (though not every time) I refuel a craft. It may not happen if I refuel the central stack instead of a substack attached to the central stack with radial decouplers, I haven't tried that yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, zabcheckmate said:

Essentially what appears to be happening is that fuel crossfeed across the radial decoupler seems to get turned off, without an ability for me to turn it back on again, in the substack directly attached to my refueling base. 

How do you do refueling? Which parts and what's the sequence?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...