Jump to content

Project Ares: Alternate Earth History in Real Solar System


Recommended Posts

  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I might have time again. I pulled up my old game, but it was version 1.2 so it's two versions behind. Also when I loaded the game it took 20 minutes to load due to all the mods and stuff. I guess it was always that way but I had forgotten it took so long to load. Bleh! I'm tempted to just switch to 1.4 and reduce my mod load time too, but then I am not sure how to integrate that change into the story, It would mean losing RSS and Galileo which are pretty integral to the story. However, I am not that interested in 20 minute loads and RSS-length launches (usually 15-20 minutes each too) right now if I'm going to jump back in. It could mean needing a new story. We'll see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Felbourn said:

You are sooooo welcome back, with whatever art of work you come with.

 

I might have time again. I pulled up my old game, but it was version 1.2 so it's two versions behind. Also when I loaded the game it took 20 minutes to load due to all the mods and stuff. I guess it was always that way but I had forgotten it took so long to load. Bleh! I'm tempted to just switch to 1.4 and reduce my mod load time too, but then I am not sure how to integrate that change into the story, It would mean losing RSS and Galileo which are pretty integral to the story. However, I am not that interested in 20 minute loads and RSS-length launches (usually 15-20 minutes each too) right now if I'm going to jump back in. It could mean needing a new story. We'll see.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Felbourn If you are still taking recommendations for this stuff then I'd recommend integrating this planet pack into a story

I've been messing around with this planet pack myself doing some really cool things. Look on page 65 of the forum thread to see what I've been doing with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For the record, the idea I'm working on at the moment for a return is:

The Kerbals at Earth were left with a challenge to divert an asteroid that was headed for Earth. They investigate and learn that it was the result of their interference, because gravity wells from their travels redirected it toward Earth in the first place. They do something <sciencey stuff here> to redirect it again, which actually just sends it back through to their own universe, and now it's on course with their Kerbin. They have no time to redirect it again, so they must evacuate the planet. Or... if I used Gameslinx as suggested above, perhaps what happens is they rush another gravity well redirection mission but that causes planets to spill over into their universe and "pollute" the Kerbol system.

A different idea I've always wanted to do is "replace" Stock parts with Felbourn-ized parts and an appropriate tech tree, and run a sort of campaign. You could imagine it like a kind of "Unmanned before Manned" mod but without Stock parts. It would only be custom modded parts and a custom modded game, with entirely new balance.

Edited by Felbourn
Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be difficult to mesh with your overarching desire, namely to continue to weave your Kerbal's thread into one continuous tale, but I have always wanted someone to explore the Outer Planets Mod.  I have installed it in two games now, and barely gotten out there myself.  It would also be a high challenge to do a multi-flyby of the outer planets with a single probe, though I dare say you would have to settle for 2, as 3 or 4 would seem to be far to difficult to orchestrate.

*small brain-storm*  Call it Quest for Life.  Explore those areas of the Kerbin System where conceivably extreme-o-phile life could exist, actually collecting sorting and analyzing the readings you get which no-one else ever does because they're just thinking Science points.  Find that spot on Duna where it is 15*C and theoretically moist, or that place on Tekto (OPM) that might possible harbor some something.  Go to Eeloo (as Sarnus' Enceladus analogue) and 'sample the regions where the water jets might originate.  You could weave in real exploration history to provide more depth to your work, and even create a story about what your Kerbals will or will not find.

That might be the spark of something.

Edited by GarrisonChisholm
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 3/12/2018 at 11:00 PM, Felbourn said:

For the record, the idea I'm working on at the moment for a return is:

The Kerbals at Earth were left with a challenge to divert an asteroid that was headed for Earth. They investigate and learn that it was the result of their interference, because gravity wells from their travels redirected it toward Earth in the first place. They do something <sciencey stuff here> to redirect it again, which actually just sends it back through to their own universe, and now it's on course with their Kerbin. They have no time to redirect it again, so they must evacuate the planet. Or... if I used Gameslinx as suggested above, perhaps what happens is they rush another gravity well redirection mission but that causes planets to spill over into their universe and "pollute" the Kerbol system.

A different idea I've always wanted to do is "replace" Stock parts with Felbourn-ized parts and an appropriate tech tree, and run a sort of campaign. You could imagine it like a kind of "Unmanned before Manned" mod but without Stock parts. It would only be custom modded parts and a custom modded game, with entirely new balance.

Hey @Felbournwhat’s up!

I’ve been watching your series for the last week. They are awesome!

The idea to make a new series with customized parts, beginning with unmanned technologies is very nice. I hope you are fine and don’t forgotten your fans at YouTube.

Greetings from Brazil.

Edited by guisim84
Add @ thing
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 8 months later...

Still alive. I started playing again, but I barely remember how! Don't know if I will start a new series. We'll see! All the movie sets and crafts for the old series are long gone, killed by many KSP revisions and mod changes over the years that has obsoleted them, but I have an idea for a new series. ;) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2021 at 11:41 PM, Felbourn said:

Still alive. I started playing again, but I barely remember how! Don't know if I will start a new series. We'll see! All the movie sets and crafts for the old series are long gone, killed by many KSP revisions and mod changes over the years that has obsoleted them, but I have an idea for a new series. ;) 

Based on the idea you mentioned back in March, a mod has come up called Kiwi Tech Tree which fulfills most of those goals. I also recommend Gameslinx’s beyond home mod for planets. (Or the quintessential JNSQ)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Based on the idea you mentioned back in March, a mod has come up called Kiwi Tech Tree which fulfills most of those goals. I also recommend Gameslinx’s beyond home mod for planets. (Or the quintessential JNSQ)

Cool, I'll check those out. I've been away so long that I don't know the good mods anymore. The idea I had back then was specific to then. Now that even more time has gone by, I have an even NEWER idea :D hehe. I don't want to spoil anything, and I could still change my mind, but this idea is loosely inspired by a Neal Stephenson novel I read several years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...