Fastest aircraft possible

On 6/30/2016 at 5:57 PM, Cunjo Carl said:

OP typically refers to the person who made the first post of this particular topic "Opening Poster" , in this case @Gman_builder, the host of this challenge. It can also occasionally be used to refer to the first post of a topic "Opening Post", and the context will typically make it clear when this is the case. Finally, it's used commonly in other gaming communities to refer to something "Over Powered" in a game that was made so strong it disrupts enjoyment of the game.

ok thanks for the clarification. Ive only known the Over powered part and never heard about the Opening person

11 hours ago, boomchacle said:

ok thanks for the clarification. Ive only known the Over powered part and never heard about the Opening person

For sure! It took me ages to figure out this one at first.

On 6/30/2016 at 8:41 PM, Gman_builder said:

My aircraft's engine nacelle in the bottom is made entirely of many pre-coolers and 20 rapiers. The plane weighs 111 tons on takeoff so it needed the extra punch of all those engines.

Ohhh.... You're engine clipping! In retrospect it makes sense, you haven't written one way or the other, but 'No Engine Clipping' is just one of those defacto rules that goes assumed unless stated otherwise, so I think everyone's been playing by that because you can't see the engines in the Aurora's pics. Full clipping can lead to some bizarre looking ships with incredible abilities, but I'll just use it to make my Penguin go a bit faster. Ante up'd! mach 5.85.

214.png

Edited by Cunjo Carl

7 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

@Cunjo CarlWhat engines does that plane use? They look like wheesleys. And can you post a pic of it without the aerodynamic effects, I cant really see the actual aircraft.

215.png

For sure! The frame is just my mach 5.6 design from before.  This revision has 40 rapiers clipped into eachother on the bottom, as compared to the earlier 7! To feed these (at takeoff) is 24 shock cones clipped up into the heat shield. It definitely needed the long lever arm of the strakes to maintain control due to the much greater weight and more backweighted COM. They also reduced drag according to FAR, which makes sense come to think of it. I often use strakes to reduce drag, but didn't on this one yet for style reasons. This design should probably get a few more wings clipped on, which is what I would do next to push it faster. I suspect now that clipping's allowed, other people's designs will rapidly surpass this one! I like it though. I'll keep it!

Wheesleys would be awesome, but they cut out at a quite low altitude from what I remember. I tried to take advantage of their unexhausting speed for the hypersonic circumnavigation challenge, but it didn't work out. It may warrant some double checks, though!

Edited by Cunjo Carl

I wish this would be all rule-compliant coz I think even without ignoring heat I could reach at least 2000 m/s before the intakes blew up, but it uses parts of the Mk2 essentials pack (YES, I FINALLY FOUND MODS COMPATIBLE WITH MY OLD VERSION OF THE GAME!!!) and I think the Mk2 engine's stats aren't quite the one listed in the info tab. Anyway, competing or not, have fun tryin' to beat THIS:

EDIT: Just incase I didn't make it clear enough, this is not a contest entry for the reasons already included above, this is just to show what I stumbled upon using the new parts and I thought I'd show u.

Edited by DualDesertEagle

8 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Try going higher and making it lighter. You will get much better performance.

Thx for the advice, in theory that was another horrible attemp to build a spaceplane but also with some nerv on the mk2 bicoupler i couldn't achive an orbit.

1 hour ago, dragonaether said:

Thx for the advice, in theory that was another horrible attemp to build a spaceplane but also with some nerv on the mk2 bicoupler i couldn't achive an orbit.

I see. Is that your official entry? If so, you can enter one more craft.

On 7/3/2016 at 9:19 AM, DualDesertEagle said:

I wish this would be all rule-compliant coz I think even without ignoring heat I could reach at least 2000 m/s before the intakes blew up, but it uses parts of the Mk2 essentials pack (YES, I FINALLY FOUND MODS COMPATIBLE WITH MY OLD VERSION OF THE GAME!!!) and I think the Mk2 engine's stats aren't quite the one listed in the info tab. Anyway, competing or not, have fun tryin' to beat THIS:

EDIT: Just incase I didn't make it clear enough, this is not a contest entry for the reasons already included above, this is just to show what I stumbled upon using the new parts and I thought I'd show u.

I'm not too particularly surprised. That engine you're using has a max thrust at somewhere in the neighborhood of Mach 12.

On 7/4/2016 at 4:35 AM, Gman_builder said:

I see. Is that your official entry? If so, you can enter one more craft.

My second entry is still being developed. Found it too complicated to design a mothership actually capable of taking off without either falling apart during a climb, running out of gas before altitude, or veering off course during take-off, so I'm going with a vertically-launched design from the launchpad. The way I see it, this still falls within rules, since the actual craft will be flying (nearly) horizontally and use wings to maintain lift. Just have to refine my design a bit, since I was drunken designing it last night and yesterday.

6 hours ago, Grenartia said:

I'm not too particularly surprised. That engine you're using has a max thrust at somewhere in the neighborhood of Mach 12.

No clue how strong the thrust actually is but the numbers are definitely not correct. It was labeled to be only slightly more powerful than the Wheesley, that's why I assumed it would be slow as hell and probably not make it to more than 20 000 meters. Instead, I made it to more than Mach 13 and the highest flame-out I got was at 51 000 meters with low throttle!

Edited by DualDesertEagle

4 hours ago, DualDesertEagle said:

No clue how strong the thrust actually is but the numbers are definitely not correct. It was labeled to be only slightly more powerful than the Wheesley, that's why I assumed it would be slow as love and probably not make it to more than 20 000 meters. Instead, I made it to more than Mach 13 and the highest flame-out I got was at 51 000 meters with low throttle!

Overpowered? Naaaahhhh

5 hours ago, He_162 said:

I was testing some rocket powered vehicles, this one doesn't count for the competition, but it was in the atmosphere for a second or two... heh

JRWShhU.png

you know that its Kerbal space program when a craft goes 3.3 octillion meters per second.

9 hours ago, He_162 said:

I was testing some rocket powered vehicles, this one doesn't count for the competition, but it was in the atmosphere for a second or two... heh

JRWShhU.png

How is that even freaking possible

I also did a thing. 'aint no octillions but its still warp 105. Or 105 times light speed. My calculator froze for a couple seconds when I hit calculate because those numbers were so big.

10 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

I also did a thing. 'aint no octillions but its still warp 105. Or 105 times light speed. My calculator froze for a couple seconds when I hit calculate because those numbers were so big.

dude you were basing your numbers off of the Navball. there is a limited number of digits available in the navball view. he was going at least warp 5000+

On 6/29/2016 at 0:05 AM, Gman_builder said:

Thanks for ruining my enthusiasm towards a harmless speed challenge. Go be the Batman of some other forum and deliver your forum justice there. This place is not Gotham city, we are all friends here, no need to be so mean to some guy just having fun.

Good cop batman!

3 hours ago, boomchacle said:

dude you were basing your numbers off of the Navball. there is a limited number of digits available in the navball view. he was going at least warp 5000+

Holy frik frak snik snack that's a lot of speeds.

On 7/7/2016 at 6:07 PM, He_162 said:

JRWShhU.png

How did you do that?

15 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Actually, that's not how the warp scale works. TOS warp scale used v=(w^3)*c. TNG warp scale (which is what was used for the subsequent series, though I'm not sure about ENT) used v=(w^(10/3))*c for w>=9. However, the limit as w approaches 10 from the left approaches infinity, so you can't actually get faster than warp 10 (but I don't think there's any figure given for the exact function as w approaches 10 from the left).

Also, its only warp 4.04. 404. Warpspeed not found.

5 hours ago, boomchacle said:

Again, no such thing as something over warp 10. However, he did WAAAAAAY more than 5000c.

Its actually 11009620131338761.030472621162471c

Edited by Grenartia

I put nearly 50 heat shields on my craft, accelerated to 1 million m/s using infinite fuel, and then hit the water on Kerbin going maximum warp speed (time warp ingame), losing most of my heat shields in the process, and then doing so glitched my craft, and launched it off at 11 trillion times the speed of light.

(I had like 100 vector engines attached with infinite offset to the craft behind it in such a way that they were not going to overheat each other, and hyperedit'd the thing to 1 million meters above Kerbin, and accelerated downwards as fast as possible with infinite fuel, and a custom config for the Vector that gives it 9999 thrust.

The result was getting to 1 million + m/s or so, and hitting Kerbin (I didn't want to sit for very long, so I didn't go any faster)

Then I was suddenly going 11 trillion times the speed of light, so yeah. I think I have the record for fastest Kerbal ever flown.

(all other 3 tries that worked in the last month that I did never exceeded the speed of light, so I am not sure how this works exactly, and I have done over 300 launches so far, and all but about 3 of them (in the last month as I said before) have worked. So I am hard at work developing something more reliable.

Edited by He_162

2 minutes ago, He_162 said:

Oh by the way, this glitch is possible to do if you get an aircraft up to mach 5, and time warp it into the water with heat shields on the front... soo yeah.

I hope you know i'm not counting any of this XD

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:40 PM, He_162 said:

I know! I just thought it was awesome ! :)

Ya its pretty impressive actually. I think glitches like this can somehow be exploited and controlled for a DIY stock warp drive. That would be cool.

Edited by Gman_builder

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.